Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I've been a network guy for my entire professional career. I went network because I hate coding. I decided I would try and make a game in Unity during my days off instead of spending a small fortune at the bars every weekend. Turns out, I still hate coding. Making notes and designing the game in my notebook makes the hours fly by. Messing around in Blender is great. Making pixel art with this fancy digital tablet is endlessly entertaining. Unfortunately opening up visual studio makes me cringe. Any professional coders have any tips for making it over the hump between coding being a chore and coding being something natural? Is this something I'm just going to have to beat my head against until it clicks?

you're going to have to build an interest in the programming language itself for programming to be fun, and more than that you have to be interested in computer science a bit. i recommend taking a unique course that's now available online from israel, like below:

http://nand2tetris.org

do it whenever you can and at your own leisurely pace, and hopefully, given the knowledge from doing these very practical activities you'll find thinking like a programmer a lot less cumbersome. trust me, when you get good at programming and hold an interest in the greater field of computer science, you'll feel like you can now harness the arcane skill of programming and algorithms to build anything you can dream of, and maybe get a little bit closer to being like john carmack.

it's a plus if you can think mathematically, and understand time management well if you're actually work on big projects solo. also the skills to not procrastinate and make steady progress so that you can make steady progress.

e: and to get used to the tools you're going to use like visual studio and unity, you can check out things like online tutorials and even videos from conventions, maybe even go to a few cons if possible. stay connected to the greater community that uses the programming tools you use.

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ninjewtsu posted:

how much do you devs play video games? does making video games consume all your free time? do you try to "check out the competition" or do you just play whatever is fun to you?

i recall a story about how, before making the xcom remake, the xcom team at firaxis were all required to play through the original game. how often does playing other games come up at work?

a few devs (indie) told me they play video games a lot differently now, they try to understand the game design rather than just play for their own enjoyment. caring not only for the "what" of a game, but also the how of its implementation.

though you should have a varied number of hobbies, since it will enrich you and your craft.