Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
What bug/issue trackers do gamedevs use? Do they have special issue trackers like they have perforce and poo poo for vcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the experience that counts is marketing experience

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they totally hand roll poo poo that anybody doing line of business would've cracked open a can of whoopass in 1999 and they therefore get some 1999 software dev results out of it

there are AAA games out there with less-than-single-digit test code coverage on nonengine code

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

The constant moving around really puts me off.

I'd assume it would be difficult getting a job as programming jobs are declining. Which is what I assume is the most common entry level or a stepping stone job for game/software developers.

bls for "software developer" says 22% growth outlook, which seems about right

what is the difference? title of "developer" usually gets paid like 60k more in normal industry land, 20k in bideo james lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i once saw a man go from 60k to 340k total comp from videogameland to touchconputerland, so 15-20% my rear end

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is not a very special salary in wall street and at tech majors, altho it is indeed a bit high

go to the yospos salary share when we have it again, or levels.fyi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jan posted:

I'm currently moving from a tech startup (joined during series B funding, as it happens) back to a games industry position. I'm actually taking a pay raise for it.

All jobs have moments of dreadful busywork, but from that short (and only) stint outside of the industry, I've found that this dreadful work becomes especially soul-crushing when it's not on a project I can at least somewhat relate to. I don't have to like the particular game I'm working on, but because I like games in general, I can at least relate to "find the fun" and work towards that.

While I may not be curing cancer or bringing about world peace, at least I can hope to make a game that will make someone's day a bit brighter. As opposed to working on something that actively undermines the fabric of democracy, attempts to get people addicted to it for "engagement metrics"--likely both--at a FAANG. Or worse, working on old janky COBOL software providing a platform for the rich to get richer in fintech.

So yeah, the games industry is pretty much a slam dunk for me.

this depends very very heavily on what game, if you're saying that games don't addict people for engagement metrics

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gaben was most of the way to bein a billionaire before he even started steam

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
supergiant is also in the sfba, so the cost of living wasnt an issue for them (it prolly was, but outweighed by other stuff)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your average movie will do that half marketing half making the movie ratio, and thats just because movies are a mature business sector. so are video games nowadays

if you want to be in a sector where its all tech risk all the time go do engineering research or something. if you do a thing where all the buyers are gonna be procurement departments with lots of peeps to look at your thingy and poke and prod it all you need to do for marketing is ads in the industry journal and showin up at conferences. consumer business can never be that way. gotta run the red queens race

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 3, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
indie games are like horror movies in this metaphor, spend 10 million on the movie and then the rest on marketing and distribution. higher profit ratios, brutal uncertainty

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
farmed out to non native english speakers, more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
god, gamedev comps are poo poo