Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

With the G2A controversy I'm wondering if it's possible for developers to disable key sales and/or gifts on Steam? As in make it so that literally the only way to buy the game would be to purchase it on your account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

So in the case of keys bought with stolen CCs it's through a 3rd party storefront or the developer's/publisher's own?

I wonder if developers are thinking of going Steam only from it then.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

mutata posted:

deleted stuff

I'll add that the Ooblets team's original announcement made me write off their game entirely. This is the only time I have or will ever bother to comment on it so I'm definitely not doing it to pile on hatred. If not for this exact discussion here I'd have just quietly decided not to buy their game and nobody would ever know about the potential lost sale. I've also never followed or bought a Bioware game since Mass Effect 3, not because I wasn't happy with the ending (I didn't like it but whatever, bad endings happen), but because I hated the response to the hate the ending received. I haven't said anything about that in the 7 years since it happened either. There's a number of games, studios, and publishers I've just quietly written off over this stuff over the years because it's really off-putting. Maybe I'm the only one but I suspect there's other people who care about how companies communicate but just watch quietly from the sidelines as these things play out. Imagining that the only people who will notice your passive-aggressive tirade are fellow devs on your side or bad faith actors is probably not a good idea.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Design doc is whatever you want it to be. It's entirely about supporting you/your team in developing the game the way you develop games.

Assuming you're a solo dev and this is your first real project I'd suggest basically no design doc. Just have a vague idea of what you want and start putting it together. You'd have no idea what anything takes to make so your designs are as likely to be a pain point as a help and there's nobody else to communicate with. Once you've developed a prototype or at least put together a bunch of standalone systems that cover what you want to do, then you can fill out the design doc if you like.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

mutata posted:

I used to thumb my nose at most/all free to play games until I started talking to east Asian game devs on a regular basis and they talked about how kids over there with no expendable income get to play big, quality, fun games; the same ones the west is playing even; for free thanks to the F2P model in general.

Nothing is a monolith, and execution is everything, obviously, but also things are complex and have multiple facets.

The insane profits companies make off of the most successful and exploitative titles tell us that there's plenty of slack for them to be less exploitative and still provide free to play games for people who want them. If you're sustainable on your free to play model then you can point to it and say hey we have to do this and that's fair enough. If you're raking it in off your exploitation then you don't get to pretend that your hands are tied or that you're providing games for the poor children.

And that's definitely a very distinct line that can be drawn. If you need a model for the game to exist then you can say that players are making a choice to have your game exist as it is over the alternative of it not existing. So it's more a symbiotic relationship than pure exploitation. But if you're making well above that point then you're just choosing to exploit players.