Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Whenever I'm like "That's probably impossible to get the same engine to do both those things" I remember Bethesda somehow merged the idTech netcode into the Creation engine for Fallout 76 and God is Dead.

I was pretty blown away to find out that Frontier uses the same engine for Planet Zoo and Elite Dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The players of my game have a lengthy wishlist of features and fixes that they'd like, and there's a bunch of really good ideas in there! Meanwhile I'm slaving away trying to finish the campaign content. I feel bad for them, but I gotta prioritize. Can't ship a game that doesn't have an ending!

Yeah, Early Access (maybe just all gamedev?) feels like triage a lot of the time. We're in a similar situation, where there is an un-ending supply of things that we *could* do that would add so much to the game, but we have to put it on the backburner in the interest of actually shipping the game this decade.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I like having one baseline difficulty and then a bunch of granular options in a settings menu, both from a dev and player standpoint. As a dev I don't really want to try and balance 3 versions of the game, and as a player I want to know I'm playing the version that the devs intend as the optimal singular experience even though sometimes I just want to disable an annoying mechanic like hunger or make enemies less of a bullet sponge.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 30, 2022

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Chernabog posted:

As a game designer I think not having different difficulties is bad decision for most kinds of games, both from artistic and business perspectives since I want as many people as I can get to play my games.

This is kinda tangential, but I'm constantly torn between wanting as many people to enjoy my games as possible, and wanting to *really* appeal to certain kinds of people and not necessarily when it comes to things that can be adjusted with a slider. For example, I personally love the fact that Morrowind doesn't have quest markers because it means I am essentially forced to immerse myself in the game to navigate, but if you're trying to appeal to the greatest number of players then you're probably going to put in quest markers because it's unambiguously more "accessible". That said though, it's safe to say that the further you deviate from what is unambiguously more accessible, the higher the bar is to do it well.

Edit: Maybe quest markers are a bad example because you could always have an option to turn them off, but it seems like whenever they are on by default, turning them off leads to a sub-par experience because it wasn't designed around it from the start.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 30, 2022

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I think it's kinda asking too much to say that every game should be designed so that the entire spectrum of human ability can beat it. I think it's weird to be opposed to difficulty settings in principle, and it's 100% a good thing for people to be thinking about accessibility while developing their games, but every project is going to have different goals and limitations. I'd love to add translations of my game into every language, but I don't have the resources for that and that means there are a lot of people who can't properly play my game. It's unfortunate, but it's the result of many decisions along the way including just putting a lot of text in my game over time.

Edit: Just getting a game finished is a monstrous undertaking at whatever scale we're talking about, and while the bar for accessibility is certainly higher for bigger productions, they still have to make countless decisions about where to direct their effort. Elden Ring might appeal to more players with difficulty options, but the developers decided to go all-in on one difficulty for better or worse. It's totally fair to criticize the lack of difficulty options, but it's not fair to act like it's some kind of moral or ethical failing to decide to make the game that way.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Games should just go back to having cheat codes. Nobody minds having cheat codes, you don't have to put in a lot of effort to balance them, and if people can't beat the game without infinite health then bam, what an easy fix.