Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
How specialized do developers tend to be? I've seen games where the full credit list is just a few names to games where they rival a big studio film. Do you prefer working in big teams where you are doing a small part or do you prefer small teams where most people wear multiple hats?

I've been involved in a big mod project for the past few years and started to seriously look at applying to industry jobs a few months ago. Other than a few level design jobs, most of the listings I've seen have been for programmers and ui. Do other types of design jobs tend to be more scarce or are the more technical positions in particularly high demand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Flannelette posted:

Curious about how some mods and small dev team games can produce huge amounts of new high quality models and animations but then other small dev teams (mainly in non english speaking countries) say that they can't afford more than a handful? Is it just if they have someone who can churn them out for free or is there an easier supply of artists in some places I would have though it would all be even where-ever you are on the web?

I'm one of the leads on Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil, so I can answer this at least for mods. The majority of our 3d modelers are students building a portfolio, along with some hobbyists and a couple people actually in industry. We attracted most of them by either specifically contacting them based off their other work or they heard of us through word of mouth. Some of our modelers started out as total beginners and learned over the course of the project and some came in as experts. A big factor in attracting and retaining modelers and other members has been the reputation that we've built as a project that is not vaporware which has been a really hard sell with something of that scale. Most mod teams also only have a handful of members, Cyrodiil alone has 100 members total only a fraction of which are active at any given time.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Nexus Mods and Reddit are where we connect with a lot of artists. Artstation, too.