Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

leper khan posted:

Yes, because market size is still the same as the NES days. There are forces that work in the other direction, too.

Well yeah, volume of sales have increased dramatically, in fact as dev budgets have skyrocketed that increased volume has been absolutely necessary for big titles to make money.

Which is one reason you're seeing other monetisation methods nowadays, higher dev budgets, the rise of gaming as a continuous service, the margins from the box price alone are getting ever smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Probably the thing that has depressed me more than anything about this story, regardless of the reality of life there, was how quickly gamers came to the defence of the idea of 100 hour weeks and how it's fine and totally normal look they all enjoy it and are millionaires shut up about working conditions and give me my videogame!!!

Y'all, devs deserve a life outside of the office.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 28, 2018

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I remember after TellTale went bankrupt, some people were like "the devs should finish the walking dead for free if they really care about the community."

There's a lot of entitled kids out there.

Yeah, I wish it was just kids but I'm getting increasingly more convinced the issue of game dev working conditions is one of those subjects right now that attract the attention of the far right, gaters, russian sockpuppets, bots, trumpsters etc etc. Just another angle to sow division.

Which is a shame, there need to be real discussions about our working conditions, what studios do it well and those who don't and it can't happen as effectively online when a sizeable part of social media is contrarian on purpose.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Chewbot posted:

Are you Chris Reeves from BioWare Austin? And for the record your sentiment here is spot on.

:gonk: no but what are the odds?!??!

Alas no I'm in Dundee, Scotland and my bean is freaked. :vince:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

Is there any traction in current efforts to unionize the industry?

We're all in the middle of it, there's no way to really tell if any of it is going to lead to lasting change but there's been more noise made about it than ever.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

mutata posted:

A majority of devs use Maya these days. I'd recommend against learning 3dsmax.

As a Max user this hurts but is very true :sbahj:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you want a serious answer, there's nothing wrong with Blender besides the fact that the interface designers seem to have wandered in from a parallel universe where standard hotkeys and understanding of UX are radically different. But most 3D artists learn to work with either Maya or 3DSMax, or maybe something like MODO. Going from that to Blender might be a bit jarring and takes a while to get used to.

It's totally true that the fundamentals of good modelling carry across programs but good loving god Blender's UI and workflow is an unhelpful mess. It feels easier to pick up Houdini and it's :catdrugs: procedural workflow than to try and find simple modelling buttons that are standard in maya and max whoops sorry that basic feature isn't in blender yet go search the 20 minute long tutorial videos on youtube for a workaround.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Flannelette posted:

I'm biased but I love Houdini and procedural process it took me no time to work it out after struggling for ages with maya and zbrush (probably something odd with my brain) being able to break everything down into steps which I could freely change infinitely made everything fit together in my head but I wouldn't use it to make complex models still.

I haven't much time in Houdini but I use the layer stack in Max a lot and that process of stacking modifiers on top of modifiers makes total sense to me, I can get a bit of the flavour of it's rather insane potential, though my thing is more characters and props so it's ultimately not as useful for me the way it would be an environment artist.

I gotta say though Zbrush's UI is an rear end in a top hat and the thing that got me over that hump after years of trying on and off was Michael Pavlovich's Intro to Zbrush series.

https://gumroad.com/pavlovich

Unfortunately, once you're past the UI so much of it is raw sculpting and ain't no quick procedural tutorial for that.