Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Why do some games allow a smooth Alt+Tab so you can access whatever, but others throw a loving fit and won't load up or go fullscreen again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Back in 1999 I was at uni and my thesis was comparing some data compression methods for images.
I compared a few but the main new ones at the time was Fractal Image Compression.
But has glaring problems and did not get wide spread use.

My point of mentioning this is this. With Fractal, compressing an image could take several hours, ONE IMAGE, on a top of the line 300Mhz machine back then. This was the flaw.
But you could get insanely really high compression rates. Better than jpeg at the time in some situations.
But decompressing was super fast. So you only needed to wait the time compressing it once, and that was the only major overhead. Well worth it when space itself was limited.
Microsoft Encarta used this type of compression for the fuckton of videos it had on its CDs back in the day.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 9, 2018

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

We use Blender! :pseudo:

What's wrong with Blender for game making?
Have little experience with Max, trying to make some games atm myself and started to look into Blender as I can't afford to pay for the other two.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

RossCo posted:

The whole credits thing is interesting. Some of the political fighting that goes into credit sequences is truly impressive.

I know of a few AAA publishers that only list front facing dev and manager names in the credits if its a collab on two or more companies.
So the lower peons who QA and CS another company's game don't get any credit at all on that other game.
Must be a tax or payment dodge going on.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I saw something on their twitter saying only 19 people have 'finished' N++ which seems crazy for a game everyone seems to know.

I would love a GDQ TAS run of this.
It would be insane.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

The basic shapes in 3D modeling and rendering software are like sphere, cube, cylinder, donut, and teapot. Why teapot?

I assume because it's a recognizable symmetrical 3D shape that can easily be expressed as a formula. But you could say that for like a mug or a spoon. I found a wikipedia article about the history of the model but I still don't get its prevelance. Did no one else come up with and publicly release models of like bottle caps or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna

Already discussed, but reminds me of the Lenna image used for 2D image saving/compression.
Some researchers grabbed a Playboy pic for use for in a thesis, and its used for the next 30 years.
Used it myself for my degree, a comparison on Fractal Compression and Vector Quantization (fancy words for shitter than jpeg compression methods).
Didn't know its not used any more, in fact frowned upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Mad Max is an example of this.
It got all rights to Fury Road, except for Tom Hardy's likeness.
The game has a decent lookalike, and its good.