Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m a developer (Software Engineer, technically, but that title doesn’t really mean much). That means I do both programming and architecture/design, which has mostly been in the context of applications that just so happen to be deployed on the web. Game dev, from what I can tell, requires a very different set of technical skills and works with very different problem domains. Would the skills I have built as a developer on non-game applications transfer at all to game dev, or would I be starting from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m no stranger to tight iteration loops, hell my response in the retro for the Big Project we just deployed was all about how we should have started those loops sooner. Performance is something that I’ve been a bit lacking in historically since I’m mostly self-taught, but it’s been really important toe recently cause of the system we just replaced, so I’m catching up quickly (we use Go at work). Plus, I‘be never had problems figuring out profiling tools, so at the very least I can track down what problems exist and how to tackle them.

A relatively low emphasis on unit testing I guess makes sense because of your point on experimenting a lot.

Sounds like there’s options for me! I’d still like to tinker in Unity a bit, but I don’t quite have a mind for game design yet, so it’ll prolly be of questionable quality. :v:

Thanks for the response!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hughlander posted:

I think I've said this before to you but I'll add it again. Game Dev is such a mind boggling big super large umbrella. There's no single answer. If you were to work on back-end engineering on a massively multiplayer real time synchronous gameplay mobile game, then your work would look almost exactly like doing web dev. A standard interview question for that role is basically "Design this feature that will use a database for storage" and talk through caching, concurrency issues, player UX responses etc...

On the other hand if you're looking to make Flappy bird and wanted to only do client gameplay and physics, then yes that's different. Because games don't need to be 'correct' they need to feel fun. Which is often two totally different things. "OMG Delta v of flappy bird is so unrealistic! I could do a much better simulation!" misses the point that it's not supposed to be realistic it's supposed to be fun through frustration.

Oh poo poo, I posted about this before, didn't I? Lemme go look for previous responses 🙇‍♀️

That definitely makes sense, and it's what I was getting at with "different problem domains". In which case, it's just about the problem domain itself, and you'll always gonna to just start gaining experience in it. Fair enough!

Been a few years since I checked out Godot. I remember it being pretty cool; if it's gotten further, I'll def check it out!