Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

leper khan posted:

Most of the successes have some sort of budget behind them. Bespoke art requires a budget, the same way bespoke code does.

What kind of budget? We’re a couple of engineers looking to either hire out or partner with an artist / studio to develop some 3D assets but we have no idea what to expect In terms of costs or timelines. We are decently funded but looking for a rule of thumb before we start looking for quotes.

I understand this will vary enormously based on what you’re asking for, just looking for rough guidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thank you, this is very helpful. Great advice about reaching out directly in the 3DCG thread, I’ll put together some details and give that a shot.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

'asset flips' might often look rough, but one person can whip up a AAA quality (small to medium) environment with megascans assets in a few weeks if you're in UE4/5. That doesn't include any planning / massing time though. You'll likley need a lot of custom art on top of that so working with someone who understands the need to cut corners and can tell you how they plan to do it is a good thing to check for.

Hiring one person in house who can lead the look and also manage any outsourcing will get you the best and most consistent work, if you're open to the idea of adding someone in that role. It'll cost you equity but long term could pay off.

Yes, love this. Right now we're doing exactly that, slapping together megascans in UE4 and buying any and all asset packs that look halfway like what we're after. We set aside an equity allocation specifically in the hopes that we end up finding somebody we really jive with to come on as a sort of creative director. But I'm finding it really challenging to sift through the world of indie-oriented gamedevs for hire -- lots of complete beginners, where we're looking for someone to really take a lead role. Mostly been looking on various subreddits and a couple of indie game discords. I saw the Gamasutra board suggested somewhere, any other leads welcome!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Anybody here have insights on venture capital funding for game studios? I found it pretty surprising that VC is interested in small studios, but 1047 Games (makers of Splitgate) managed to raise a sizable series A on the back of what looks to me to be very early player stats. Would love to know how their terms compare to more traditional publishing deals, or more traditional tech startup VC. What is even the investment thesis? That a ten person studio making an arena shooter in 2021 has a shot at being a billion dollar company?