Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To celebrate the new mod regime enshrined on the Let’s Play Subforum, it’s high time we held another quarter-annual (“quarter” and “annual” subject to interpretation) Let’s Play Challenge!

In this age of YouTube and its ENDLESS TRASH of everyone and dog uploading video LPs to clog the internet so thick you that you could walk across the Pacific Ocean on a layer of them and not get wet if they physical objects, the venerable screenshot LP has sadly fallen by the wayside. It’s not the SSLP’s fault. After all, video LPs are more exciting, more action-packed, and infinitely more profitable.

But I say NO MORE! For this Autumnal Let’s Play Subforum Contest, we are going to revive the lost art of the Screenshot Let’s Play. We’re going back our roots to pay homage to the LPs that LP was build on… and then crushed under its screechy facecam weight. So get your Imgur or LPix Rightload plugins, word processor and 56k warnings ready, folks!

: : THE RULES : :

The goal of this contest is to craft the best one-update screenshot LP of any game of your choosing. You can sum up the whole game in one shot, show off one part of it and leave us wanting more, or do something entirely uncategorical with it. We don’t care.

Pick a game that’s un-SSLP’able. SSLP a text-based game. Throw a billion gifs in a post and make a VLP by default. Upload a literal Power Point slideshow. Don’t got the ability to screenshot your game? Draw pictures of it! Don’t remember the plot of the game? Write your own plot!

The only limit is your creativity and ability. Don’t be shy. This is a safe space. We won’t judge you. Until we meet in private and judge you.

Don't know how to do an SSLP? Consult the LP Master List or LP Archive for inspiration.

So, to recap:

1. Chose a game you want to show off and “screenshot” it.
  2. Write a one-post update for it NO LONGER than 50,000 characters total.
  3. Submit your entry to this thread either as a standard post or an LPix SSLP Test Post Page. :siren:[UPDATED]:siren:
  4. NOTE: You are limited to ONE POST ONLY for your submission, and ONE SUBMISSION ONLY. Anything else will be disqualified.

And that's all!

As with our previous contests, there will be two winners: one selected by the LP Subforum through a vote, and one selected by the LP Moderation team.

The prize will be the winner's choice of a Platinum Upgrade, Archives Upgrade, or New Avatar.

The contest will run up to October 31st (Halloween) at Midnight*your local time!

Good luck, and have fun!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I decided to take it a bit seriously, entire core gameplay loop in one shot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dare someone to LP an 80-hour RPG. :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, good contest everyone. See you next quarter!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Goddammit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I have JUST the thing... :wringshands:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hell. Yes.

Gonna have to come up with something good for this.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think I'll enter this. May need to request some extra hands, but it sounds like it'll be real fun. Count me in.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I was thinking of coming up with something, but I think Herp just won with that Loss edit, so uh, gg guys. (I will still probably come up with something.)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

I was thinking of coming up with something, but I think Herp just won with that Loss edit, so uh, gg guys. (I will still probably come up with something.)

Not trying to sound cocky, but there are two winners in the competition: the one voted for and the one selected by the mods, and last time there were even three winners due to a tie in the poll!

These competitions are fantastic and I love them. The Conscientious Objector match of BF1 was a great submission, and the format of this competition might breed some brilliant entries.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

They must have been on drugs when they made this game.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

judge reinhold posted:

They must have been on drugs when they made this game.

What drugs were they on and can I have some

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You should at least show them clearing the game. It's hard to be concise with a win, but easy for anyone to do a short LP with a loss.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is a good loss.jpg, I'm impressed.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
No shots of Fire Flowers, Stars, or Lakitu for Super Mario? I'm holding my vote for now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Please like and subscribe.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The one-shot updates don't have to be one screenshot, right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
They do not.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Fedule posted:

They do not.

*contemplates browser-breaking, single post, 1,986 image SSLP of Tyranny*

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

nine-gear crow posted:

If you can dream it, you can do it.

Alas,
code:
[img]https://lpix.org/xxxxxxx[/img]
at 35 characters a link and 50,000 characters a post you can only fit 1428 images in there if you provide no commentary.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You don’t need extra commentary if you put it in as subtitles. Subtitled SSLPs are a thing, probably.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fedule posted:

Alas,
code:
[timg]https://lpix.org/xxxxxxx[/timg]
at 35 characters a link and 50,000 characters a post you can only fit 1428 images in there if you provide no commentary.

You can get sub-1000 images easily by stitching images together vertically.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You don’t need extra commentary if you put it in as subtitles. Subtitled SSLPs are a thing, probably.

There's a Blade Runner LP that does exactly that.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
here is my entry. It is my lp of the classic "Super Mario Brothers". Enjoy.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can I do two entries? I two games that I love enough to put my hat into the contest with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EagerSleeper posted:

Can I do two entries? I two games that I love enough to put my hat into the contest with.

nine-gear crow posted:

[*]NOTE: You are limited to ONE POST ONLY for your submission, and ONE SUBMISSION ONLY. Anything else will be disqualified.
One submission, one post per customer, it looks like.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I mean, nothing says you can't post two. It's just that you'll have to choose one to be your official submission and the other won't be used in the contest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty posted:

:eyepop:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The only limit is our creativity and ability, you say?

:getin:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, what happens when I get a really stupid idea and see it through to the end because I'm a bullheaded motherfucker? Well, my Political Machine LP, but that's beside the point. But you also get this:

Interdimensional Lateral - Let's Play Tecmo Super Bowl 2018!

I had to do a lot of pruning, but I managed to get this into exactly 49999 characters according to Notepad++, so it should count!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Putty posted:

Woah. I only had time to watch through the first two stages. That's dedication.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

TheMcD posted:

So, what happens when I get a really stupid idea and see it through to the end because I'm a bullheaded motherfucker? Well, my Political Machine LP, but that's beside the point. But you also get this:

Interdimensional Lateral - Let's Play Tecmo Super Bowl 2018!

I had to do a lot of pruning, but I managed to get this into exactly 49999 characters according to Notepad++, so it should count!

Like 20% in so far, and this is utterly fantastic.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
I see I've picked just about the perfect moment to start actually checking on the forums again.

I did something like this a couple years back on a different forum just because I thought it was a fun idea, so I'm definitely gonna throw my hat into the ring for this one.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Ladies and gentlemen of the Let's Play subforum, It's time to kick it oldschool

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 21, 2017

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Today, we're LPin' The Tube. Well, okay, sort of: It's an event in Steep, a winter sports game that's often unfairly maligned for not being SSX3. That's neither here nor there because I'm about to give you, the friendly and supportive group in LP, a taste of what it is to play Steep. We're gonna do The Tube in its entirety, from start to finish.

Casnorf fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 20, 2017

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

People should probably put their entries into the test poster so that this page doesn't have a million images on it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^

Ha, yes, please, this is a good idea. Unless you're gonna do a whole update in a single image, it's probably best to use the SSLP Test Poster so this page doesn't become clogged with 1000 images.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Do the screenshots have to come from a single game, or can I submit Paradox mega one-shot lp

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blackunknown posted:

Do the screenshots have to come from a single game, or can I submit Paradox mega one-shot lp

I don't see why not. If you can fit it in the 50k limit. I did say "be creative".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

To complement my ongoing participatory let's play of the Lone Wolf series (currently near the end of book 2 of 28) I thought I'd do walkthrough style LP of the first book to show off some stuff we didn't see in the thread.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149032

• Locked thread