Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rushi

by Smythe
so like this thread is for posting toys you remember playing with a -lot- esp before you were a teenager, lets leave out mainstream PC games/console games only cause thats p much it's own thread :3: but if you remember like a particular tigard handheld or bizarre old machine of whatever then :D

remember these are toys u remember personally playing with a rly decent amount~ feel free to share memories/stories/favorite sets of things already shared, i figure we're gonna see a lot of lego :3:

i never had a talkboy i bet some of you got funny talkboy stories

I had a lot of toys dumped on me in the 90s as my grandparents worked fairly high up in children's marketing/toys/etc so I was fairly spoiled, also got to see a lot of test market stuff. but I really liked them! I remember getting all kinds, educational, physics, stupid, mouse trap, whatever, but it's weird which ones kinda stuck. I remember having lots of odd fad toys (furby, etc) but who cares about those. For whatever reason, these were the toys I remember having the most fun with. I'll probably post more if any pop in my head.

Legos:

These are the three sets I particularly remember having. The castle one was my first lego set not more than a few dollars, I got it when I was around 7? And I remember asking for the sub and robot at future Christmases. However I did have a reallllly big tub. I remember playing with legos in one way or another until I was a a teenager pretty much. Even though around 11-12 I got super nerdy and would make things like Metal Gear Rex and a Hind-D (which I used some pieces form the submarine above). I remember of course always wanting the really big cities sets, like the trains and stuff, but I never knew anyone who got them. Everything I made, of course, was a huge mis-colored mash of love. I remember not liking one set/theme in particular and was a fan of just the variety and choice I had.

Mighty Max:

I don't know why but I thought Mighty Max was the fr*gg*n' N*TS~! I only had those 3 sets on the bottom. I had micro machines as well but maybe it was the silly fantasy plot of the TV that got to me. I think I had these around a time where I was starting to travel between states a lot so a lot of memories are on bus/car/train/plane rides. I also just loved the detail of all the different little sets, and would just spend time thinking about how cool there'd be a tiny bug in a crack or something i don't know.

Mold Tiny Things!:

I remember thinking these were just really awesome, and getting refills a few times. I remember the metal one more, I don't know why I thought making the tiny metal models was so cool and interesting. I also had an easy bake oven when I was really tiny but was kinda too young to remember, I think it was a hand down or something.

Power Rangers Toy:

Gosh I carried this around everywhere so embarrassing.

Nerf Bow:

A huge mistake, my friends all got guns with like 16 darts and I got this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
as soon as I read the opening paragraph I wanted to say Mighty Max but you had that covered :3:

I loved hot wheels tracks and poo poo when I was a kid. really anything where I could build stuff was very much my poo poo.

Big Big Loader may have fostered a bizarre interest in logistics at an early age...

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

City of Glompton

my parents and grandparents loved to go to Reno to play slots, so naturally the bought me one of these

it was a lot of fun and I pretty much wore out it out. it was a terrible bank because the coins would fall in a tough to reach spot when you won, but a fantastic toy

Starman Super DX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QurDlKOkpvo
thinking about at it now, it seems kind of involved for a toddler's toy.

I couldn't get enough of these either.

It's funny, the other day I noticed I still have the K'Nex Screamin' Serpent. I probably put it together exactly once.

Tell me more!

Rushi

by Smythe

Starman Super DX posted:

as soon as I read the opening paragraph I wanted to say Mighty Max but you had that covered :3:

I loved hot wheels tracks and poo poo when I was a kid. really anything where I could build stuff was very much my poo poo.

Big Big Loader may have fostered a bizarre interest in logistics at an early age...

what mighty max did you ahve???

whats big big loader????

track stuff was cool, I usually had the electric kind u snap together but a lot of my friends had cool hotweels loop ramp stuff that ruled.

City of Glompton posted:

my parents and grandparents loved to go to Reno to play slots, so naturally the bought me one of these

it was a lot of fun and I pretty much wore out it out. it was a terrible bank because the coins would fall in a tough to reach spot when you won, but a fantastic toy

oh man that reminds me banks in general RULED I had a crayola bank and one of those robots from radioshack

haha logic kids toys or whatever were cool, I remember a basic set I saw a lot in drs offices and was always happy to see

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Starman Super DX

I was on my phone before but looking at it now I had almost all of the stuff in the op except the power ranger thing and the crossbow. I had that tommy robot too

Uhhh I don't remember which mighty max it was. It's been so long. Old toys ruled though. Especially the board games!

Holy crap, I completely forgot about Weapons & Warriors until google reminded me. I don't think I ever played it by the actual rules.

Tell me more!

Rushi

by Smythe
it from the pit looks AMAZING

i totally forgot about weapons and warriors I played it a bunch so much. Well with it, never learned the rules.

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
I only played video games

Starman Super DX

Pomp posted:

I only played video games

hey we may have had a NES and my gramps an Atari and his share of shareware games but it didn't mean I didn't have no Tornado Rex or Grape Escape or Mouse Trap!

Tell me more!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Scaly Haylie

Like Pomp, I primarily occupied myself with video games, but I did have this wonderful combining boy:

Robot Made of Meat

The boxes were usually more fun than the toys, iirc.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Starman Super DX

what were these called again?

Tell me more!

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Starman Super DX posted:

what were these called again?

"that cool castle with a catapult and a cannon and a little jail you can put people in"? :shrug:

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

Starman Super DX

idk I had the pirate ship too and it always reminded me of The Lost Vikings... or some kind of old game thing where the guys have big noses and their eyes hidden behind their hair.

Tell me more!

FluffieDuckie

buckle up boys and girls and let me tell you of the hardships of being born in the old times

this was my mrs beasley doll. I got it for christmas when I was 3. my cousin was there and he broke mrs beasley's glasses christmas morning WHICH WAS THE BEST PART OF THE DOLL. he went on to be an alcoholic but the signs were there early on

I had my own music i could play all by myself. i remember one of the records had "yellow submarine" on it

this was a fisher price little people garage. it coolest thing was you put the cars in the elevator and then turned the crank and they made it to the top of the parking garage and then they slid down the ramp so you could do it again

then charlies angels came along and with it this fabulous "style farah fawcett's hair and makeup" toy which this picture shows isn't as easy as the box advertised

but in the end, my generation was the OG gamer generation. the day dad brought this home was the most magical day EVER

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Starman Super DX

FluffieDuckie posted:

this was a fisher price little people garage. it coolest thing was you put the cars in the elevator and then turned the crank and they made it to the top of the parking garage and then they slid down the ramp so you could do it again

I *think* I had this. If I did it was probably at my grandparent's house.

Tell me more!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Can we talk about Silly Putty for a minute?

I bought a pound of it. It glows in the dark. I have 4 four,foot black light tubes. Pics will be forthcoming soon.

Thank you for letting me talk about Silly Putty for a minute.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Robot Made of Meat

FluffieDuckie posted:

then charlies angels came along and with it this fabulous "style farah fawcett's hair and makeup" toy which this picture shows isn't as easy as the box advertised

OK, the hairdo is indeed impossible, but you have to give them credit for getting the horrifying rictus on her face JUST RIGHT on the box!

Manifisto

FluffieDuckie posted:

but in the end, my generation was the OG gamer generation. the day dad brought this home was the most magical day EVER

YESSS og games

on the game gadget side, I spent a bunch of time with this one

and this one

and this little fellow, I guess you could call the trivia quizzes on his tapes a "game"

. . . although I don't recall his buttons being en espaņol

ty nesamdoom!

Starman Super DX

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

had to literally dig through an old toy box behind some furniture in order to remember what this thing was called so I could google an image.

Tell me more!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

YESSS og games

on the game gadget side, I spent a bunch of time with this one

and this one

and this little fellow, I guess you could call the trivia quizzes on his tapes a "game"

. . . although I don't recall his buttons being en espaņol

You have to remember this wonderful contraption:

Never had it, but a friend of mine did and we spent hours programming it to do neat things. It even played musical 8-bit songs at the end of a series of commands, sort of like a Robo Sapiens on tank treads.

I loved me some Merlin, though...

vanisher

I had one of these it was amazing

Scaly Haylie

vanisher posted:

I had one of these it was amazing

Oh gently caress, same

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

You have to remember this wonderful contraption:

Never had it, but a friend of mine did and we spent hours programming it to do neat things. It even played musical 8-bit songs at the end of a series of commands, sort of like a Robo Sapiens on tank treads.

I loved me some Merlin, though...

not that exactly, but something extremely close, a sports car that was programmable in a similar way.

ahh yes, found a picture. it's whatever this was.

apparently it's a "255 computer command corvette"

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

not that exactly, but something extremely close, a sports car that was programmable in a similar way.

ahh yes, found a picture. it's whatever this was.

apparently it's a "255 computer command corvette"

:eyepop: that's crazy! I never saw that or even heard of it, youtube has some great videos I just looked at, but yeah same exact concept.

Fangrim

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
Gakken EX Kit.

I also loved the Merlin.

Rushi

by Smythe
I can't believe how much of these things I forgot existed, and just enjoyed the cr*p out of when at friends houses and stuff O:

----------------

Twenty Four

FluffieDuckie posted:

I remember my grandpa getting one of these at a yard sale around the time that everyone had much newer systems (maybe NES era) but hey I had a video game to play when we visited, which we did not have at home! Of course the game required 2 players and my parents and grandparents would never play with me :(

Also my uncle having an intelevision, (also would have been an old system at the time) which was this console that had controllers with little cards you could slide in over the buttons for each game to label the buttons as to what they did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

Finally with old electronic games, I remember having an old hand me down "Speak n Spell" (like in the movie E.T.) which would say a word out loud in a robot voice, then you spelled it out on a keypad to "win". I always got a perfect 10/10 or whatever unless the word was "course" or "coarse" and getting really mad at it for saying "Incorrect, the correct spelling of course is c-o-u-r-s-e" because dammit game you can spell this word more then one way and I was friggin right! Game can't even spell "and" right in its own title! Mooooooom!!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_%26_Spell_

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
INTELLIVISION!!

I played the Dungeons & Dragons game and figured out that if you fire an arrow just right it would bounce all the way from the entrance to where the dragon is because arrows richochet like crazy in that game

Uria aalge

Chi-la-la-la-lax
Playmobil -- we even used them to play intricate RPG/adventure games when we were teenagers (where one of us was the Game Master and everyone had a Playmobil character in addition to all the NPC playmos).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thank you for the winter sig, Heather Papps!

Thanks for the summer sig, ChubbyChecker!

"Nobody owns life, but everyone who can pick up a frying pan owns death" - Kurt Cobain

Scaly Haylie

gak

Scaly Haylie

Large Spider-Man figure that did a kick when you pushed a button on his back

Scaly Haylie

WHIZZER. I fondly remember having to rub the spinny bottom tip on a table or whatever multiple times to make it go, and boy did it go

StabMasterArson

i had some small rubberish wrestler things that all had their own special powers in my child mind. they were my friends

Robot Made of Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

WHIZZER. I fondly remember having to rub the spinny bottom tip on a table or whatever multiple times to make it go, and boy did it go

Wow. I haven't thought of Whizzers in many moons.

Manifisto

StabMasterArson posted:

i had some small rubberish wrestler things that all had their own special powers in my child mind. they were my friends

were any of them stretch armstrongs?

I did not have any stretch armstrongs but I had a cousin who did have them, they were mighty challenging to stretch

ty nesamdoom!

Scaly Haylie

Action figure with several buttons on the back that make public domain sound effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear

i never had toys only training apperatus to condition me for handling small men and firetrucks through a wooden brick town of my own design

• Locked thread