Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Dominica is going to eat a cat 5 jesus gently caress these hurricanes keep blowing up hard near the antilles

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=meso2-13-24-1-50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/909881724254990341

IT'S ON MOTHERFUCKERS

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
maria is not content to let irma have the history books for itself

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Goon that's traveling to PR this week, identify yourself!

We need entertainment.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know Category 4/5 are Serious Danger Scenarios in any situation, but are homes in Puerto Rico better built to withstand hurricanes than the average non-ritzy home on the Virgin Islands?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

mother earth is a globalist

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

I know Category 4/5 are Serious Danger Scenarios in any situation, but are homes in Puerto Rico better built to withstand hurricanes than the average non-ritzy home on the Virgin Islands?

Puerto Rico is poor as poo poo though I think most of the houses there are concrete. Dunno really though

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/AP/status/909929715015790593

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Godspeed, PR.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wake me up when Florida is in the crosshairs.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

That was fast.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

maria went plaid

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
To think we live in the new era of hypercanes.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Windspeed had been increasing in 5mph increments every 3 hours and then it did a loving 30mph jump in that time period :stare:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/MARIA_graphics.php?product=5day_cone_with_line_and_wind

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Puerto Rico is poor as poo poo though I think most of the houses there are concrete. Dunno really though

Puerto Rico is broke do to horrible mismanagement but the houses are built to last. My house is made out of reinforced concrete, I've put up metal shutters around my glass windows. In this rinky dink rural town on the west side of the island the amount of houses that will be toppled by the hurricane can probably be counted with both hands.

The utility infrastructure, like most government controlled things though, is in tatters. The management of these instutions have cut personnel to a fraction of the workforce we've had when George hit. We were without power for like a month at my house, and the power company had 3 times as many people working on it and the actual infrastructure was in better shape than what it is in now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Puerto Rico is broke do to horrible mismanagement but the houses are built to last. My house is made out of reinforced concrete, I've put up metal shutters around my glass windows. In this rinky dink rural town on the west side of the island the amount of houses that will be toppled by the hurricane can probably be counted with both hands.

The utility infrastructure, like most government controlled things though, is in tatters. The management of these instutions have cut personnel to a fraction of the workforce we've had when George hit. We were without power for like a month at my house, and the power company had 3 times as many people working on it and the actual infrastructure was in better shape than what it is in now.

Are you there now? If so, be safe and drunk post

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Friendship ended with IRMA

Now MARIA is my new best friend

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Are you there now? If so, be safe and drunk post

Im here right now, I'm heading out to my unit tomorrow to get the last things around our USARC straighten out before heading to my moms shop to set up her storm shutters. After that I'm heading back home and probably drink all tuesday/wednesday. My sister is bringing her nieces to stay with us, not necessarily because her house cant take the hurricane (it can, just as easily as ours) but because she's there alone and my older niece is loving scared shitless. She's bringing all her supplies with her.

We have two large water cistern on the bottom part of the house, two large propane tanks that we can use for cooking on our gas stove, we have a power plant that can power the basics around the house as well as a water distiller that we can use to purify water. The initial parts of the hurricane aren't a big deal, getting fuel and the utilities running on the island again is going to be the real hard part.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

logikv9 posted:

Friendship ended with IRMA

Now MARIA is my new best friend

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im here right now, I'm heading out to my unit tomorrow to get the last things around our USARC straighten out before heading to my moms shop to set up her storm shutters. After that I'm heading back home and probably drink all tuesday/wednesday. My sister is bringing her nieces to stay with us, not necessarily because her house cant take the hurricane (it can, just as easily as ours) but because she's there alone and my older niece is loving scared shitless. She's bringing all her supplies with her.

We have two large water cistern on the bottom part of the house, two large propane tanks that we can use for cooking on our gas stove, we have a power plant that can power the basics around the house as well as a water distiller that we can use to purify water. The initial parts of the hurricane aren't a big deal, getting fuel and the utilities running on the island again is going to be the real hard part.

Hrmm, you are much more prepared than Jose. This won't be that amusing.

Stay safe.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Personally I'm rooting for one of these things to bend around, somehow survive all the way across the North Atlantic, and smash Jose again. Irma really let us down by tracking too far west.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TraderStav posted:

Hrmm, you are much more prepared than Jose. This won't be that amusing.

Stay safe.

Also he is almost certain to lose internet well before anything interesting happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zoran posted:

Personally I'm rooting for one of these things to bend around, somehow survive all the way across the North Atlantic, and smash Jose again. Irma really let us down by tracking too far west.

a repeat of 1987?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yeah I was there a few years ago and that's what I was trying to remember.
The houses really did look sturdy as hell and I do remember encountering some gross infrastructures problems.
Also stay safe friendo.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Thank you + Cao Ni Ma (rooting for you friend).

Landfall as a Cat 5 in Dominica.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/ArvelLinchpin/status/909953850748145664

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
With Dominica's topography and the last recon passes on this storm I'm pretty sure they're about to get hit way harder than any island was by Irma. This is going to be devastating.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

:catstare:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this is no time to be barking like a dog on twitter roosevelt

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/cher/status/909985310909403137

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Wtf

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

https://twitter.com/CBCAdrianH/status/909968228247621635
https://twitter.com/CBCAdrianH/status/909973175831793665

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Yeah it's pretty crazy.

From Topical Storm to a Cat 5 in 27 hours.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

*staring wistfully into the dark* that could have been florida.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

*staring wistfully into the dark* that could have been florida.

hurricane season isn't over yet and Maria doesn't seem to be taking prisoners

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

welp

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

That didn't age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/video-broward-county-firefighter-aids-thirsty-key-deer

they live, its a miracle

• Locked thread