Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hello AI friends, it has been a minute since I have posted things in a thread. Aside from the occasional post in various other people's threads and to Slack, I have let my previous thread sunset.

Since then I have done some probably AI things.

I bought the Gorester.

I made my own transmission jack.

I put the transmission into the 4.6 4v 240SX:

I discovered the enemy. Rust:

I broke a subframe bolt, re-welded it, window welded the subframe bushings, and put that SOB back:

The Gorester ate the hood latch. gently caress that:

Got new fenders to pass inspection next June. NC is dumb about side marker alignment:

Electric power steering for the 240SX, but I need to fix the floor first:

Measure twice, insert once:

The Gorester eats a clutch. So I pulled the intercooler to figure out what clutch to get. The Gorester's daddy informed me what cold hard metal he gave it last time.

I may have started a fire while tacking the brake booster in. The studs were too short to use a fastener. Also, tar insulation removal sucks.

Frame rail status: Not Bad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
HI GORESTER I LIKE YOUR NEW HOOD PINS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You're pulling the motor for the clutch swap, right?

I'm pretty sure there's at least a couple bellhousing bolts holding it to the trans.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was planning on dropping the trans.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Motor is way easier and doesn't require any lifts or jack stands or really any under-car work at all aside from the two motor mount bolts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Agreed, dropping the transmission on a Subaru is not a lot of fun and probably 5x as hard as pulling the engine.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I thought dropping the trans was the easier way to do it? There's so much more poo poo that has to come off to pull the engine.

(I'm spoiled by having a 2-post lift)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Engine route:

crawl under for motor mounts - 2 bolts
stay under for downpipe to midpipe - 2 bolts
intercooler - easiest 2 clamps ever, no bolts on Gorester
downpipe off turbo - 5 bolts (more like 3 on Gorester)
starter - 2 bolts and 2 electrical connectors
clutch slave - 2 bolts, pop the arm out
fuel - 3 clamps
alternator - 3 bolts, leave bracket on for hoist
A/C compressor - lol what A/C compressor
power steering pump - 4 or 5 bolts
bellhousing - like maybe 3 bolts on Gorester
engine harness - 2 big connectors on driver side
radiator - 2 clamps, no bolts on Gorester

Bolt up a chain on the alternator bracket and the bracket where the heat shield for the turbo used to mount, pull the mount studs out of the subframe, go super forward, and it's out.

It literally no poo poo took me 54 minutes last time I did it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah, trans is the basic engine to trans stuff you do either way (IC, slave cylinder, bellhousing bolts, etc) plus 4 driveshaft to diff bolts, two bolts for driveshaft center support, 3 roll pins (axles and shifter) and 4 bolts for trans mount and one electrical plug. No screwing with wiring, not even breaking any fluid connections (I just sorta left the starter flopping around).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
You have to remove basically all the intake and wiring crap to get at the bellhousing bolts anyway. It's so much easier to just move the engine forward a few inches at that point.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

... no...? Intercooler sure, but the rest I got either from on top or underneath.

Mind you, I might also be biased because it was the choice of do it with the garage door closed and the car on the lift, or with the door open to use the engine hoist, and it was -20F out when I was doing my clutch.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My big thing is I hate working under a car on my back and dropping the trans is basically all under car work. The engine can be pulled without spending more than 30 seconds underneath it. Hell you don't even need a jack if you're skinny enough.

Not my pig not my farm though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I do have my wonderful bastard transmission jack, but I need to pull the stocker downpipe off anyway...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I prefer to go the transmission out route rather than eingine out when there is a five speed.

Six speed..... well. THAT'S a oval office of a gearbox to heft around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the Gorester was an autobox? Clearly I'm out of date here too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Gorester has killed too many transmissions for it to have been a slushbox.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've already pulled the radiator. I was very careful draining it because the coolant is only 3 months old. I did use my oil drain pain. A bit of dirty oil isn't going to hurt anything, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Extra lube for the water pump. :v:

What electric power steering setup did you go with on the 240, and how will it be controlled? I'm only familiar with GM Delta platform columns when it comes to EPS, and that definitely doesn't look like the one in my car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nope it's had 8 manuals

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
STR, it's a Versa unit. Has a default power level Fail-Safe. All you needed to do is give it power.

I'm at the 2.5 hour mark. Unless it's something very simple I'm glacially slow partly because I'm prone to misplacing bolts/nuts, and partly because I tend to break poo poo if I go fast. I'm about ready to crack the two halves.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
loving gently caress this clutch replacement has turned into a goddamn fiasco. I'm now 18 hours in and my body hurts. Engine and transmission do not want to make sexy.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They don't want to meet back up? Did you absolutely positively align the clutch disc to the pilot bearing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

loving gently caress this clutch replacement has turned into a goddamn fiasco. I'm now 18 hours in and my body hurts. Engine and transmission do not want to make sexy.

This is the part that sucks. I've had some luck lubing the very end of the transmission input shaft to help make it easier to align but you can't use too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wrar posted:

Maybe one of them is gay?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe light some candles, put on some Barry White, and pull out the biggest fuckin hammer you got.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Maybe one of them is gay?

That would explain why the motor keeps rejecting transmission suitors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wrar posted:

STR, it's a Versa unit. Has a default power level Fail-Safe. All you needed to do is give it power.

That's pretty awesome, and a much better approach than GM took.

"Oh, there's an issue with the power steering? gently caress YOU YOU'RE DRIVING A FULLY LADEN 18 WHEELER WITH MANUAL STEERING NOW". I was lifting myself out of the seat trying to get it into parking spaces, and even changing lanes at highway speeds was painful.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Any progress?

Oh also I have a street sign custom skidplate the PO made for the gorester if you want it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

Any progress?

Oh also I have a street sign custom skidplate the PO made for the gorester if you want it.

No. I got home and made dinner, but I'm finally not Sore As gently caress, so tomorrow morning before I work from home for the day I will probably take a crack at the accursed thing.

Yes. This sounds wonderful.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think I got the sob back together. I just need the engine mounts to slot in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I like to put the slip yoke of the ds on the back of the transmission and have somebody jiggle it back and forth while trying to mate up the input shaft. Usually just needs a little of that and it slides right in. Easier than trying to rotate the whole goddamn trans.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Pro tip. Use a 2x4 and sledge to seat the engine mounts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Wrar posted:

Pro tip. Use a 2x4 and sledge to seat the engine mounts.

I was about to suggest kicking the poo poo out of the oil pan, since that's my usual method, but yeah block of wood and a BFH works a treat.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
gently caress me I did not install the clutch correctly :shepicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wrar posted:

gently caress me I did not install the clutch correctly :shepicide:

How?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Its binding. I can't put the car into gear while running.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Seriously? Remove the motor?

BOX out is an hour job if you pull the shafts first! And that's crusing! (It's a 1/2 hour job pull/ replace with 3 service crew...)

But I pride myself on the 7 minuite driveshaft swap...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

Wrar posted:

Its binding. I can't put the car into gear while running.

Pull or push clutch?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Push

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I mean this is the Gorester. Start it in gear and sidestep that bitch :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread