Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The world ended.

Except over there.

Over there it's full on banana republic style government. Jackbooted thugs with badges and military uniforms lord over parking lots crowded with people who fled the loss five years ago. People who live in tent cities with open sewers and maybe enough terrible food to survive. The luckier ones work seven days a week twelve hours a day to earn their daily bread for themselves and their families. The luckiest of them, as always, live lives far, far away from fear, death and poverty. Lawns are well manicured. Mansions are tacky. Food comes to you if you order it. Central air.

Over there shares one thing in common, and that is safety. Sure you could catch a bullet in a parking lot ghetto and sure you could still cross the wrong officer of the law who's high on authority that he has and you don't, but you're not going to get eaten by flesh eating monsters.

That's over here. The loss. Where we are. Over there is the goal. Terrible as it might be. Awful as it might be. Strange as it might be, you and your family are not going to get devoured by hordes of shambling, flesh eating walking corpses to become raging, sprinting, apologizing berserkers to spread the blight even faster. That doesn't happen over there, but it sure does over here. Getting here to there? That takes money. Bounty to be specific. The world ends but capitalism marches ever onward. A speculative market on reclaiming the loss sparked up after the riots and immediate pullback of the policy of "the government gets it". So a compromise was struck. People aren't confirmed dead until something identifying can be procured. Normally that comes in the form of laminated drivers licenses in the rotting clothing of walking corpses or just found out in the loss. Each one is worth a bounty, a full month's ration of food. Real calories. That food can buy you shelter, buy you rent, buy you gear, bullets, stitches, energy, food, water, creature comforts...

This is the story of how you got from over here to over there, or how you rejected over there in favor of starting fresh over here, danger and all.

Character Creation, Game Mode, Enclave Generation and Times

So I've been wanting to run a game of this for ages. I've done pbp before but the pace of play is too slow for me. I strongly prefer VOIP like skype or possibly discord though I'm not as familiar with it. Rolls would happen over Roll20 to keep us honest. This would take place on either a Friday or Saturday afternoon EST. I prefer something around five or six EST for three to four hours as that is usually enough time to complete a full mission, but an early enough wrap-up that you can enjoy what remains of your Friday or Saturday night. I'm leaning towards Saturday, but can work with Friday if that's everyone else's preferred day. The game would be once weekly.

Generate a standard character with a paragraph or two describing your character and a sentence on your dependents. If you don't have the rule book that's okay. There are pregens available and I can make those available to you if asked for which you can either keep or alter to personalize your character depending on what you want to do.

Willing to go boom mode (An easier, action based mode) or bust mode (A harder, poverty simulator mode) or mix and match depending on what everyone wants where I take elements of what everyone wants.

As for enclave generation I'm not really married to the idea of it being on either coast as we could simply switch. The story is written for the west coast to collapse and for the east coast to stay (marginally) functioning, but I can switch that up. So once I pick enough players (probably four) we'll generate the framework of the enclave here and slowly add to what it looks like with each passing game. So the questions would be, where is it, who runs it, who lives there, what does it produce for trade, what does it need and what other enclaves are in the area. That would be done in thread after everyone is chosen so we could pick up and play come the weekend.

Finally, and this is important, I really don't want the game to go on forever. I very much prefer a tontine, or "get rich or die trying" final game so I can wrap up the game in a few months all at once. You don't have to do a Mr. Jols (Just One Last Score) but it would be the idea as I want to eventually wrap up the game after a few months.

The deadline for character creation is Tuesday the 19th, we'll do some bare bones enclave generation and if it's done in time we can begin playing by either the 22nd or 23rd depending on when everyone is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I flaked out last time, but it alright if I write up a sheet?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Don't mind at all. Write it up.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm definitely down. I'll post a character this weekend.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

:siren:Still doing the game thing. Still wanting character sheets. Sign up if you want to play!:siren:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
black spot for character sheet

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, hypothetically... if this game is played on Skype, at what time would it be?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I'd prefer to play on a Saturday around 5 PM EST. It won't cut into peoples' Saturday nights and people who work M-F will probably won't have work scheduling conflicts on a Saturday if they're on the different coast.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh poo poo, the Red Markets pdf still isn't for sale!? That's... going to be a problem.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd prefer to play on a Saturday around 5 PM EST. It won't cut into peoples' Saturday nights and people who work M-F will probably won't have work scheduling conflicts on a Saturday if they're on the different coast.

Aw geez, as an European that's not really going to work for me. Sorry.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

tokenbrownguy posted:

Oh poo poo, the Red Markets pdf still isn't for sale!? That's... going to be a problem.

If that's a problem I can help out with character creation once we get enough players.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Aw geez, as an European that's not really going to work for me. Sorry.

Quite all right. Glad that you were interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

You might want to throw a post in the RM thread. Some folks might just not look at the LFG thread.

• Locked thread