Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

Wha ththe hell putting on a movie at a party, that's incredibly lame and I would leave immediately

What if it's a sexy movie at a sexy party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mother! is pretty sexy you get to see her nipple that one time afterall

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

mother! is pretty sexy you get to see her nipple that one time afterall

:catstare:

I mean the thing she was wearing at the very beginning was pretty sexy but the movie pretty quickly goes into you'd have to be a loving psycho to still have wood territory

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to a housewarming party where we watched Grave of the Fireflies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's not really a party until Funny Games US is on

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

how cheerful!

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This is one of my favorite Aronofsky films in retrospect (I also really liked The Fountain, which this most closely resembles of his filmography).

I would probably never watch it again, similar to that time I saw Enter the Void in theaters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pick posted:

nice, how many drunken suicides occurred that night?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

You know the party has really gotten into gear when Shoah comes on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

You know the party has really gotten into gear when Shoah comes on

Son of Saul

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Ubiquitous_ posted:

that time I saw Enter the Void in theaters.

I'm jealous. I never got a chance to :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Edit: lol wrong thread my bad

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Enter the Void hosed me up hardcore when I saw it in theaters like few movies have. Doesn't help it was longer, more oppressive cut of the movie

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Enter the Void hosed me up hardcore when I saw it in theaters like few movies have. Doesn't help it was longer, more oppressive cut of the movie

I imagine the frequent strobing lights and industrial soundscapes/throbbing gristle of it all would be absolutely overwhelming in a theater setting. Noe films never really get shown where I live sadly, I'd kill to see it or "Irreversible" with it's wild sex club scene some day. "Good Time" might be the closest I've gotten to that kind of experience at parts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got my mother! blu-ray, the cover art is a cropped version of this and it owns

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

warez posted:

It was pulled from the one theater that had it in my area within 2 days.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

warez posted:

Well, his future projects may interest you, then.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/gaspar-noe-psyche-fifth-film-details-1201932162/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like reading people's takes on this movie on facebook because it's the first movie in a while where when someone doesn't "get it" it means they literally got to the end not realizing that it's just bible stories, presented in order, happening inside a house and it's weird to see all the interpretations of the movie as being other things.

I saw someone who took this movie as some sort of like. The guy was a wizard and made a robot wife with a crystal heart and that was what the movie was.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I like reading people's takes on this movie on facebook because it's the first movie in a while where when someone doesn't "get it" it means they literally got to the end not realizing that it's just bible stories, presented in order, happening inside a house and it's weird to see all the interpretations of the movie as being other things.

I saw someone who took this movie as some sort of like. The guy was a wizard and made a robot wife with a crystal heart and that was what the movie was.

I'd like to watch the British SF movie from the 70s that guy seems to have seen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

I Before E posted:

I'd like to watch the British SF movie from the 70s that guy seems to have seen.

Seriously, it seems like a lot of people that don't notice "it's the bible" are taking it as some allegory for marriage or trying to read it all as "metaphor for a writer" but I love the idea of misreading it so hard it's just a sci-fi story about a robot with a crystal heart.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is no reason it's only bible stories though.

I can actually be using disguised bible stories to be about the isolation of artists or whatever.

You are mocking others for not getting it but making a pretty narrow reading yourself.

I'm with you on loling at the crystal-hearted robot in particular, though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
^^^Beaten, but I agree.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Seriously, it seems like a lot of people that don't notice "it's the bible" are taking it as some allegory for marriage or trying to read it all as "metaphor for a writer" but I love the idea of misreading it so hard it's just a sci-fi story about a robot with a crystal heart.

I do think it's a bit more than just the bible though, so theoretically someone could miss that part and say that it's about patriarchy and they'd still be technically correct. And there's a lot in there about the act of creation and what it means, so boiling that down to "metaphor for X" would be somewhat missing the point but not completely. But there's clearly a lot to it other than just a string of unrelated bible stories.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m gearing up for a rewatch but yes, there’s clearly biblical stuff in it, however it ties that material in with how women are mistreated in personal relationships I.E. gaslighting, and wraps it up with an environmentalist message as well, and the larger point is how our faith is toxically intertwined with how we treat gender roles and the earth at large, to humanity’s detriment

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I'm not saying it's just the bible and nothing else, but it's still funny to read the readings people have on this movie that had the "gimmick" of the story totally go over their heads.

Like I'm sure someone somewhere has a ten page essay on why john goodman wears an eye patch in o brother where art thou that never connects to why he has an eye patch. And because that movie was well written I bet they even do a good job pulling it into the themes of the movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I mean it says right in the credits what the movie's based on

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol I'm imagining boomers reacting to mother!, like even attempting to process it and they just go insane call-of-cthulhu style

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I Before E posted:

Demon Seed, kinda.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Demon Seed, kinda.

if anyone here hasn't seen this, get on it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I’m gearing up for a rewatch but yes, there’s clearly biblical stuff in it, however it ties that material in with how women are mistreated in personal relationships I.E. gaslighting, and wraps it up with an environmentalist message as well, and the larger point is how our faith is toxically intertwined with how we treat gender roles and the earth at large, to humanity’s detriment

I'd add Gnosticism as well, but for a brute-force summation of this movie's many themes this is pretty drat good.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

lol I'm imagining boomers reacting to mother!, like even attempting to process it and they just go insane call-of-cthulhu style

They actually walk out angry and immediately buy a ticket for The Post to cleanse the palette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

china bot posted:

if anyone here hasn't seen this, get on it

There's way too many movies about having a supercomputer's baby.

• Locked thread