Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, hopefully it wins all the Razzies so Daren and JLaw can accept some kind of statue this year :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Moon Atari posted:

Razzies just rail on whatever movies performed poorly without any real consideration. This movie was critically panned, but that reflects the extremely limited range of most movie critics. The reviews for this movie were some of the worst art criticism I have ever seen. It's fine to not like the movie or to outright hate it, but most of the reviews completely fail to make any meaning of it. If you go through rotten tomatoes top critic reviews all of the negative ones amount to something like "this remake of Rosemary's Baby is confusing and unpleasant", and even the more positive reviews don't go beyond "it's saying something about religion or women, idk it's pretty vague".

The same was true of Birdman, even in giving it positive reviews critic's ability to write and analyse amounts to stating that they think there is something about ego or art in there. They often covertly admit to not being able to form any sort of coherent analysis, but they phrase it as a failing of the movie rather than their own failure as critic and viewer. Both cases reveal how much these people, whose entire job is to watch and talk about movies, fail when they aren't dealing with something strictly literal. In mother!'s case it was received much worse because it is deliberately an unpleasant and angry viewing experience, which makes for a bad time if you can't find the purpose in that unpleasantness.

I mean, I rarely come out of my first viewing of a movie with a fully formed thematic reading. Some people can remember every detail vividly enough to support some things, I have to wait until I have the opportunity to rewatch it.

And most critics can only see a movie once because they've got a lot on their plate.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The fact of the matter is that mother! shocked a whole lot of people in a way that probably hasn't happened since films like A Clockwork Orange were released to their own form of derision decades ago. Many of these people were affected by it in a way that they don't understand or won't understand for a while yet (partially because the cinematic language of the film is actually quite new), but confrontation of audiences and the exploration of discomforting contemporary themes was absolutely the movie's goal. Time will be kind to mother!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 24, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Time will be kind to mother!

I 100% agree with you but :lol: all the same :)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I 100% agree with you but :lol: all the same :)

Yeah I think it's a great movie but the way people talk about it in the thread reminds me of Bitcoiners.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah I think it's a great movie but the way people talk about it in the thread reminds me of Bitcoiners.

That's because it's loving good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's definitely my favorite part. It's like when people complain about obvious Christ metaphors in films then inevitably reveal they are totally unfamiliar with any of the vignettes of Christ's life.

I don’t think there’s actually a contradiction there. When people like Bibs insist that they ‘get it’ but ‘just don’t care’, what they mean is that they don’t want to become familiar with the Bible - or any related philosophical concepts. The statement is “I know enough already.”

The real head-scratcher is that Bibs simultaneously dismisses the literal narrative of the film as incomprehensible, when it’s straightforwardly a riff on THE EVIL DEAD (to which the exploding lightbulb is an obvious reference) by way of Project X. We could talk about how the style evokes Cassavetes at his most uncomfortable, but that’s already getting unnecessarily ‘abstract’. Even in regard to the biblical allegory, Mother!’s a latter-day Monty Python film, riffing on the premise of What If God Had A Wife?. Straight-up Life Of Brian: “Honey, what are all these people doing here?”

And it’s here where people steadfastly refuse to approach ‘Sophia’ as a character - because, in the same way Brian is not the messiah, Sophia is patently a woman living in 201X. There are smartphones, and yet our protagonist built a home with a single landline because she’s deeply misanthropic. She’s absolutely committed to isolating herself from the outside world in a house that she considers a representation of her psyche, and that she never leaves.

And then she stops taking her meds.

Like, she’s not even a Christian.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 24, 2018

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don’t think there’s actually a contradiction there. When people like Bibs insist that they ‘get it’ but ‘just don’t care’, what they mean is that they don’t want to become familiar with the Bible - or any related philosophical concepts. The statement is “I know enough already.”

The real head-scratcher is that Bibs simultaneously dismisses the literal narrative of the film as incomprehensible, when it’s straightforwardly a riff on THE EVIL DEAD (to which the exploding lightbulb is an obvious reference) by way of Project X. We could talk about how the style evokes Cassavetes at his most uncomfortable, but that’s already getting unnecessarily ‘abstract’. Even in regard to the biblical allegory, Mother!’s a latter-day Monty Python sketch film, riffing on the premise of What If God Had A Wife?”. Straight-up Life Of Brian: “Honey, what are all these people doing here?”

And it’s here where people steadfastly refuse to approach ‘Sophia’ as a character - because, in the same way Brian is not the messiah, Sophia is patently a woman living in 201X. There are smartphones, and yet our protagonist built a home with a single landline because she’s misanthropic. She’s absolutely committed to isolating herself from the outside world in a house that she considers a representation of her psyche, and that she never leaves.

And then she stops taking her meds.

Like, she’s not even a Christian.

So SMG, did you like mother?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

So SMG, did you like mother?

NO.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Idiot!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Go on...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOPBP9vuZA

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
:wow:
https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/956156752398921728

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this is a top tier tweet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This film was incredibly excellent so it does not surprise me most people "didn't get" it and/or didn't like it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

This film was incredibly excellent so it does not surprise me most people "didn't get" it and/or didn't like it.

:yeah:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think you can "get it" and still not like it, but I both got it and liked it so not really my problem.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was challenging, weird, and terrifying. But I think that, particularly as a woman, it was a really effective horror film still. Get the gently caress out of my house! No, stop letting them in the house, get the gently caress out of my house!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Pick posted:

It was challenging, weird, and terrifying. But I think that, particularly as a woman, it was a really effective horror film still. Get the gently caress out of my house! No, stop letting them in the house, get the gently caress out of my house!

For real the movie was super terrifying even before any weird poo poo started happening

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They need to remake this where Mother is a retail worker doing a double shift and the customers just won't loving stop.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pick posted:

Glad you liked it; many of my female friends also did. A weirdly common response I heard from people, mainly men, coming out of the theater I work at is that the film is misogynist for presenting the viewer with situations where Lawrence gets hosed up (sometimes by people screaming "oval office/whore/bitch" etc), one guy followed that up with a comment about JL being miscast because he saw her as "America's Sweetheart."

To me this highlights more that viewers are actually bringing latent misogynist baggage/ideals in to the theater with them that the film is then commenting on broadly and aggressively, but when they are presented with this state of cognitive dissonance they make the decision to offload it to the movie rather than confront their own poo poo. This type of behavior also extends to people going online afterwards and leaving misogynist reviews of the material or voting JL for a Golden Raspberry award, etc, etc, etc

mother!, to me, was the most brazenly feminist film of the year...and in a sick way it makes sense in our incredibly masculine culture that people would lash out at that, especially when they thought (due to trailers) that they were just signing up for a torture/horror film where another starlet gets raped/flayed/murdered absent of any social commentary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hear hear serious and good post by forums user Beanpole Peckerwood !

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's like suggesting Get Out is racist because racist things happen in it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Or that Fight Club / Clockwork Orange are fascist...which is what people said at the time.

Also, it must be reiterated that Shelly Duvall got a Golden Raspberry for The Shining, and those same people are probably still alive and making GBS threads on movies like mother!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The big one for me is when people said The Wolf of Wall Street endorsed Jordan Belfort's actions.

I still see people saying that!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Raxivace posted:

The big one for me is when people said The Wolf of Wall Street endorsed Jordan Belfort's actions.

I still see people saying that!

I guess that depends one's ideas regarding complicity of spectacle within the film's critique. Since capitalism is the foremost religion in America I think it's easier for people here to misunderstand critiques of its excesses.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Making a movie about the excesses of capitalism is a lot like making a movie about war. Regardless of how it's portrayed there's gonna be people who think it's cool.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's why you only really see successful anti war films with stuff like jarhead or Johnny got his gun or come and see or that one British one about the soldier training in ww2 for most of the movie and it ends with him basically dying immediately
Otherwise people just fixate on how cool and stylish a film's scenes are and just pretend they're "a guy who didn't die in saving private Ryan". Stuff like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalyse Now are just too stylish, as Jarhead itself touches on.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Bergman's Shame is the only really effectively anti-war war film I've ever seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, it's why you only really see successful anti war films with stuff like jarhead or Johnny got his gun or come and see or that one British one about the soldier training in ww2 for most of the movie and it ends with him basically dying immediately
Otherwise people just fixate on how cool and stylish a film's scenes are and just pretend they're "a guy who didn't die in saving private Ryan". Stuff like Full Metal Jacket and Apocalyse Now are just too stylish, as Jarhead itself touches on.

I disagree. Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now are both taking it deeper, to the level of indicting the military as a fundamental piece of the corporation. They exist outside the paradigm of Just Wars.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Most people just see them as celebrations of American chutzpah and the glories of military service.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Most people just see them as celebrations of American chutzpah and the glories of military service.

Most people?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

It sure feels like it, those I've known who have more than a passing knowledge of either and aren't actual film nerds enjoy them as vicarious thrill rides.

edit: as a disclaimer I grew up in a very conservative town so ymmv I guess??

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 21, 2018

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

mother!, to me, was the most brazenly feminist film of the year...and in a sick way it makes sense in our incredibly masculine culture that people would lash out at that, especially when they thought (due to trailers) that they were just signing up for a torture/horror film where another starlet gets raped/flayed/murdered absent of any social commentary.

Well, yeah- they couldn't really remove themselves from J-Law's suffering because they were never allowed to. A key ingredient to one of the torture/horror films you mention is that the audience is given room to breathe and to behold the "spectacle" of the horror from a removed, safe position from up in the sky (the God's eye view), from a corner, or even from the vantage of the monster in question- all of these viewpoints from either a position of safety or power... an ingredient that was purposefully missing here. The directing, the set design, pretty much everything about the movie was laser focused on Lawrence and her acting- we see what she sees and are directed to feel what she feels, so when she is disrespected, tormented, assaulted, when her baby is taken from her and eaten... that feels like it happens to us, too. It's a horror movie in which the victim is actually empathized with rather than sympathized, and it seems that's knocked a lot of people for a loop.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

edit: as a disclaimer I grew up in a very conservative town so ymmv I guess??

This is always interesting whenever we talk about anti-war films.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I remember one of my housemates who was a rich white idiot whose mom was a banker and father was in the military and is super conservative getting us together because she wanted to see Zero Dark Thirty. She completely hated the movie because “the Osama killing scene was too short and there was way too much talking.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kubrick's Paths of Glory is one of the more effective anti-war films. It has a lot of the standard Kubrick bravado on the technical side of things but the story itself is a much better examination of war than Full Metal Jacket imo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

I remember one of my housemates who was a rich white idiot whose mom was a banker and father was in the military and is super conservative getting us together because she wanted to see Zero Dark Thirty. She completely hated the movie because “the Osama killing scene was too short and there was way too much talking.”

Hahaa

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is always interesting whenever we talk about anti-war films.

I have many vivid memories of Full Metal Jacket being on at parties and everyone guffawing throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wha ththe hell putting on a movie at a party, that's incredibly lame and I would leave immediately

• Locked thread