Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingLOCAR
Mar 4, 2004
MillDaKill is the BOMB
Speaking of the sound design...
Any theories on the reoccurring sharp 'clasping' sound that takes place in almost every scene in the Poets study?

The effect on me was to annoy and keep on edge. (since I was so sided with mother).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
“Aroronofsky laid it on thick, but the jam wasn’t rich.”

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

davidspackage posted:

One early part that had me scratching my head was JLaw putting streaks of spackle on the wall and then just standing back and staring at it. Am I just focusing on something insignificant? She could've been trying to gauge if the color was right, but I think she'd already done part of that wall. Maybe to illustrate her meticulousness at the restoration?

If you take Jennifer to be a natural process, that could be evolution of flora and fauna on the earth, as she listens to the earth and responds with new coats of paint. Which also clashes with humanity painting it without consulting the earth or her.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

3 mother! Domestic $7,500,000 Worldwide $13,500,000 Week 1

Ouch. I expected it to have a stronger showing since IT had such an explosive first week.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

3 mother! Domestic $7,500,000 Worldwide $13,500,000 Week 1

Ouch. I expected it to have a stronger showing since IT had such an explosive first week.

Do you think this is the kind of film that will get a word of mouth boost?

It gets discussed as something weird and unusual and extreme and "holy poo poo you GOTTA see it for yourself" so I wonder if people will get curious about it, or if general audiences are going to think it sounds too "artsy".

Serf
May 5, 2011

I think at some point in the third act I realized this movie was not going to be financially successful.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

mary had a little clam posted:

Do you think this is the kind of film that will get a word of mouth boost?

It gets discussed as something weird and unusual and extreme and "holy poo poo you GOTTA see it for yourself" so I wonder if people will get curious about it, or if general audiences are going to think it sounds too "artsy".

Not at all. The word of mouth will be terrible for general audiences.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
this has cult/midnight movie written all over it

Serf
May 5, 2011

china bot posted:

I don't know about that. Like, that seems highly unlikely to me.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Serf posted:

I don't know about that. Like, that seems highly unlikely to me.

i used to program midnights in Ann Arbor, and if you can fill a house for Antichrist, you can certainly fill a house with this

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

china bot posted:

i could see blindsiding people with it who haven't seen it before to get their reactions and have the talk afterword, but not in an annual rewatch or whatever I usually figure "cult" status has

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah I liked this movie, but it is definitely not in "cult" rewatching territory for me. Once was enough, and if you didn't show it with a true surround-sound setup it wouldn't have nearly the same impact.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Serf posted:

Yeah I liked this movie, but it is definitely not in "cult" rewatching territory for me. Once was enough, and if you didn't show it with a true surround-sound setup it wouldn't have nearly the same impact.

hence it being a great midnight movie. the crowd for a midnight tends to be less cinephiles, more drunken college students. that's why stuff like The Holy Mountain tends to show up at midnight screenings

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

i could see blindsiding people with it who haven't seen it before to get their reactions and have the talk afterword, but not in an annual rewatch or whatever I usually figure "cult" status has

I'm in this camp. It's rare to get to see a movie that you have no idea what it's going to be like and I think the first half is great for people seeking information about the style and tone of the movie. So I think this movie works best as a blind side and it's a rare movie where even the trailer doesn't clue you in.

In the flip side, you have no idea how people will react to it. So I liked the movie a lot but I'd never recommended it. It's better as a secret that people stumble on, which is the worst word of mouth possible.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Boy that is a troubling gif to see at work.

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm in this camp. It's rare to get to see a movie that you have no idea what it's going to be like and I think the first half is great for people seeking information about the style and tone of the movie. So I think this movie works best as a blind side and it's a rare movie where even the trailer doesn't clue you in.

In the flip side, you have no idea how people will react to it. So I liked the movie a lot but I'd never recommended it. It's better as a secret that people stumble on, which is the worst word of mouth possible.

I've been telling all my friends to go see it, because I think it is a legitimately good movie. But I also can easily see how others would disagree with me on that, so really I just want other people to go through the same experience. If there's one word I can use to describe this movie, it is "divisive"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know about you guys but I can't stop thinking about the little references and stuff and I can't wait to watch it again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ape Agitator posted:

In the flip side, you have no idea how people will react to it.

I feel like if I knew someone well enough to recommend this, I'd have a pretty good idea.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know about you guys but I can't stop thinking about the little references and stuff and I can't wait to watch it again.
Yeah, it will be completely different on a rewatch, even moreso than the Sixth Sense or similar. I think the pacing of the first two thirds might be tough to sit through again, but I guess I'll just be egg hunting and looking at the scenery.

I would like to see the craziness at the end again without the trauma of experiencing it for the firs time. I'm sure there are oodles of details easily missed in the loving insanity that happens.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just me and two little old ladies at the 1:30pm Monday screening. Can't say I really enjoyed it. All I could think while watching this, besides what I was going to make for dinner due to the poor pacing, was that the subtitle of this movie should be "uncomfortable situations for introverted people".

Also that thing in the toilet reminded me of the goddamn baby from Eraserhead. Eww.

Looks to the Moon
Jun 23, 2017

You are not the only lost soul in this world.

Sirotan posted:

Also that thing in the toilet reminded me of the goddamn baby from Eraserhead. Eww.

I have no doubt that was entirely intentional.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just saw it and skimmed the thread. A few things:

I think it's a mistake to think Aronofsky as arrogant because he might put himself on a god level. I don't think anything indicates he's saying he is literally god, just that the act of creation is always just that no matter what level it's done on. While God created everything and Aronofsky just creates movies, it's still an act of creation and the ego involved in it as well as the destruction that can be involved doesn't change no matter who or what you are. He's not saying that he is as good as God or that God is as bad as him, he's saying it's all the same.

I also think it's a mistake to look at this movie like a bible puzzle. While it's clear that Aronofsky laid the references on thick, I also don't think they're meant to cleanly flow along a bible timeline or all fit into place. I think it's all just set dressing in the end and Aronofsky, for better or worse, has always been a person that lay it all on as thick as possible

There are a bunch of interesting ways to read this movie but I kind of like the one that my gut reaction gave me that on some level this is a response to Rosemary's Baby. Like that movie was all like, "man, Satanist taking over a woman's life sure is scary" and this movie responds "it sucks when it's God too" (and yes I know that is an extremely terribly unnuanced read of Rosemary's Baby)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just got back - absolutely adored it. Both my friends walked out about an hour into the film, and there was a steady trickle heading towards the exit during the third act.

gently caress 'em, they don't deserve movies this good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Flunchy posted:

gently caress 'em, they don't deserve movies this good.

Agreed.

I went with three friends and there were four other people in the theatre. Two left near the beginning of the meltdown and the other two left the second the credits started. My friends and I stayed.

I was the only one who noticed the single capital letter in the credits.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I can't imagine being so put off I'd walk out of a theater. I usually have some idea of what I'm getting into though, and in this case I'm at least very familiar with Aronofsky's work, and I knew that lack of info was part of the intent so I didn't pry ahead of time. My favorite theater walk out was the Aristocrats, which had a loving sign outside of the ticket booth warning people what it was about, and I think half the theater still left. Synecdoche, New York is the last movie I can remember not finishing because it was so up its own rear end, but I was watching that on Netflix.

Serf
May 5, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

Just saw it and skimmed the thread. A few things:

I think it's a mistake to think Aronofsky as arrogant because he might put himself on a god level. I don't think anything indicates he's saying he is literally god, just that the act of creation is always just that no matter what level it's done on. While God created everything and Aronofsky just creates movies, it's still an act of creation and the ego involved in it as well as the destruction that can be involved doesn't change no matter who or what you are. He's not saying that he is as good as God or that God is as bad as him, he's saying it's all the same.

I also think it's a mistake to look at this movie like a bible puzzle. While it's clear that Aronofsky laid the references on thick, I also don't think they're meant to cleanly flow along a bible timeline or all fit into place. I think it's all just set dressing in the end and Aronofsky, for better or worse, has always been a person that lay it all on as thick as possible

There are a bunch of interesting ways to read this movie but I kind of like the one that my gut reaction gave me that on some level this is a response to Rosemary's Baby. Like that movie was all like, "man, Satanist taking over a woman's life sure is scary" and this movie responds "it sucks when it's God too" (and yes I know that is an extremely terribly unnuanced read of Rosemary's Baby)

I think that comparing yourself to god is going to be interpreted as arrogant no matter what. I think that in Aronofsky's case he is very aware of what he is doing and totally owns it by highlighting it to the point of absurdity.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked the chirpy 'ding' when the exclamation mark appears on the title screen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There were 6 other people in my midday screening and they all staggered out very upset, annoyed, yet bemused.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just had two old people who seemed to take it all in just fine.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I really liked the chirpy 'ding' when the exclamation mark appears on the title screen.

reminded me of the ding when the V appears in Metal Gear Solid V.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shoulda jabbed em with a stick.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Shoulda jabbed em with a stick.

The one time I leave my jabbing stick at home...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

I feel like if I knew someone well enough to recommend this, I'd have a pretty good idea.

I'm fairly sure I wouldn't recommend it to myself but I ended up really liking it. I also passed on Noah (saw it on cable) and really haven't intentionally gone to a religious movie since Passion of the Christ.

The craft of the movie is certainly incredible and perhaps I'd recommend it based on that but the combo of horrific imagery and violence at the end, religion, bad baby chiropractors, and really negative portrayals of religious figures and humanity as a whole are tough sells.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

They showed more testicular fortitude than half the dorks posting in this thread.

"Oh god this movie! My brain is haning upside down now! I never want to think about it again! Back to my Marvel schlock!"

Cowards. The lot of ya!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Super Fan posted:

They showed more testicular fortitude than half the dorks posting in this thread.

"Oh god this movie! My brain is haning upside down now! I never want to think about it again! Back to my Marvel schlock!"

Cowards. The lot of ya!

Not a single post here is like this but ok

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

Not a single post here is like this but ok

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I also never want to talk about it or think about it again. I'm going to pretend this thread doesn't exist.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love the director, went in blind, was blown away. What an achievement, I mean drat. Even when you feel like the movie is taking a breather you still feel the creeping tension rising up over you. You can really feel the level of intent to every little bit of this movie.

I think some people are frustrated that it doesn't slot into their ideals in their specific way. But it doesn't want to, and it reminds me of The Fountain and in some ways Inception in the sense of how deeply interconnected the levels of themes are. The feminist ideal of women as consumable homemakers trapped with men that have no regard for them, the environmental themes of Mother looking after the home and the flood of houseguests who start painting it grey (cities) and flooding the home, as well Mother Earth literally setting the house aflame to cleanse itself.

Another level down is an entire indictment of God's self-obsession and disregard beneath a longing for worship. It's a film that openly hates God,
which is a pretty impressive feat. I don't really see a point in trying to "critique" the film per se, it's very clearly a technical achievement, and thematically it has so much to say that it's infinitely more valuable to try to parse that through its metaphors and appreciate its insights, than paint the author as some arrogant loon. Really all around genius piece of work, highly recommended to anyone seeking a greater connection in all the world's chaos.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Agreed.

I went with three friends and there were four other people in the theatre. Two left near the beginning of the meltdown and the other two left the second the credits started. My friends and I stayed.

I was the only one who noticed the single capital letter in the credits.

Oh, I didn't actually stay through the credits and didn't pay that much attention to them when they started, but it was H in Him, wasn't it?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Karnegal posted:

Long rambly post ho! (thanks beer!)

For context, I like Aronofsky generally. The Fountain is probably in my top five. That said, in terms of the narrative, this is in the middle of his catalog. I'm going to pass over the technical elements for now (the sound design is really good, and the cinematography is ambitious as hell). To me, the biblical allusions (which are clearly what Aronofsky thought he was making a film about. They were heavy handed in the first place and when I got home and googled it, sure enough, there he was in interviews explaining that's what he was going for) are not a particularly interesting read of the film. Yeah, religion is bullshit, and the Abrahamic god is a piece of poo poo even in his own book. Old news. Fortunately, we live in a post-Death of the Author world so we can look beyond his intentions and hone in on what I find to be far more interesting: how men (which you could argue towards being specifically about "artists" or generalize more widely to Western culture) treat women like poo poo. In this formulation, Bardem is the outwardly charismatic man that everyone loves, but who is in a single-direction relationship with his wife where he takes and takes, but never really gives anything of substance back -though he is entirely oblivious to the fact that he's doing it. He is a narcissistic prick, which is perfect because we live in the age of the narcissistic prick. gently caress, America just made one the president. Bardem is constantly seeking validation and praise - see how excited he is to discover that Ed Harris is "a fan." It becomes immediately clear that Lawrence's love is taken as baseline and not worthy of note. He expects it and feels entitled to it. We get this over and over: "I love you work" she protests when he talks about how exciting it is to talk to Harris about his writing. Then we get the moment where her pregnancy inspires him, and after a frenzy of writing he presents her with the completed poem. She, like the audience, assumes that she is the first person to read it, but we (and she) immediately discover that he's already shot it off to his publisher. Sharing it with her was an afterthought, not something particularly special. She keeps the house, but he doesn't care about domestic tasks. It's assumed that she'll take care of it and clean up after his spontaneous choices. gently caress, I can't think of a better illustration of this toxic patriarchy than when Lawrence is about to give birth and he shoves the medic (also a woman) aside so that he can be involved even though he has no idea what he's doing an nothing to contribute.

There's a lot in there to play with throughout. The ending reads like domestic abuse. He takes everything, rips her heart out, but then he wants to try again. Things are going to be different this time, and then we start the cycle again. Or if you want to fix in on her being a different woman at the end, he's used and abused her and then moved on without any real introspection to consider why the last relationship burnt out. It doesn't matter to him. The yellow-liquid she keeps drinking? That seemed like a really obvious laudanum reference to me (especially because she tells Pfeiffer that she doesn't have any painkillers, which Pfeiffer calls bullshit on). Historically, laudanum was used in the Victorian era to treat "women's issues" which at that time ranged from cramps to whatever the gently caress you can think of because women and their problems weren't taken seriously. Lawrence spends the whole film being gas-lighted. And the film gives the audience the sense of what that feels like. As a viewer, you're clearly supposed to associate with Lawrence, and the whole film is an escalation of to greater and greater degrees of questioning your/her sanity. Everyone is acting loving crazy but no one will pay attention to her when she brings it up. When she can corner Bardem and get a response from him he acts like she's the one being unreasonable ("this is about them, not us")..

Interesting stuff to think about as well, thanks

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 19, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ultima66 posted:

Oh, I didn't actually stay through the credits and didn't pay that much attention to them when they started, but it was H in Him, wasn't it?

It was, yes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The list of characters in the credits in general was pretty amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The list of characters in the credits in general was pretty amazing

Wish I stayed for this. I'm glad to see that the grimly funny antitheism of Noah was NOT a fluke.

• Locked thread