Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Welcome back to Tokimeki Memorial! This is a continuation of a Let's Play that was started nearly 4 years ago, and has spent about 2 years in deep slumber for mostly personal reasons. To see the old thread in the archives, which covers Tokimeki Memorial, TM2, TM3, TM Girl's Side, and half of TMGS2, refer to Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial - I'll refer back to this old thread more than a few times.

Table of Contents, part 1: Reposts
Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2: Rubbing Boys the Wrong Way
Meet the Cast, part 1: The girls!
Meet the Cast, Part 2: The boys!
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1: Uncle Sheepy, could you read us a bedtime story?
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1.1: You can get with this
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1.2: Or you can get with that
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 2: We're not the same 'cause we don't know the game
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 3: Us kids are gonna make some mistakes
Interlude: A future of trolling
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 4: It was all a dream
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 5: The fuse is lit and I'm about to go
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 6: Let's show the guys that we know
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 7: Your mouth's moving fast, and your brain's moving slow
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 8: Tell me the last time that love bought you clothes
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 9: Return of the Mack
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 10: That's all right 'cause I get things cookin'
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 11: Give me that funk that sweet that funky stuff
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 12: Being the hunted one is no fun
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 13: You, you got what I need
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 14: That's how the playettes got to be
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 15: Yo world, I hope you're ready for me
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 16: Just another case about the wrong path
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 17: Okay, Smarty, go to a party

Table of Contents part 2: New stuff
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 18: Back to the lecture at hand

Sheep, you've been away for years, what've you been doing?

I would like to say that I took that 20-30 hours a week I spent on the old LP and did something productive with my life. But really, aside from some side excursions into games like Splatoon 2 and Persona 5, I was mostly playing Granblue Fantasy on my phone, and shitposting on Twitter.

What made you come back?

Today, Konami Digital Entertainment announced Tokimeki Idol, the next game in the Tokimeki Memorial series. By all indications, it's an idol rhythm game, made to compete in the space currently occupied by Aikatsu, Love Live: School Idol Festival, iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage, Show By Rock, THE iDOLM@STER SideM LIVE ON ST@GE, and (kind of) Bang Dream.

This rustled my jimmies. The Tokimemo series had its last iteration with Girl's Side 3 in 2010, and in 2015, the producer and character designer of that game resigned from Konami because they couldn't make the game they wanted anymore. Konami said that they were still working on Tokimemo and LovePlus, which made people really nervous...

And the result of those 2 years of development is yet another idol rhythm game that is going to be thrown into the vast ocean of idol rhythm games.

After some ranting and shouting, I decided to go back to playing the versions of these games that I found fun and endearing. I'll go back into the heart of the series and rediscover why I used to love it so much. I'll make it through Tokimeki Memorial 4 so I can show you goons how goofy and silly it is.

But before I can do that, I have to finish out Girl's Side 2, which fell to the wayside in 2015.

So how is this gonna go?

First things first, I'm going to restore my Girl's Side 2 save and finish the Teru path. However, I'm 2 years out of practice, so I'm going to need to retrain myself in how I used to write and translate, get all my capture and scripting back in shape, and more. I'll try to maintain my old pace of a post a week, but it's going to take a while to get back up to speed, since I've gotten all-new equipment and tools since the last time I did this.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just paste them all in the sslp test poster and link them in the table of contents. That way it's all in one place and not in the archives.

Looking forward to this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm glad to see this LP back in action. Shame it's not under better circumstances. I don't know about you, but I've been constantly lying awake at night asking myself, "What would a Tokimeki Memorial game look like in 2017, and how can you do it in a socially-responsible way?", so this announcement hurts me on a deep and personal level.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Oh man, I was just about to muddle through Tokimeki 4 with minimial understanding of Japanese. Good to see you're getting back to it!

I like the test poster suggestion. Man, Teru was great. :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, i got linked to that old thread long after you were gone and thanks to strong endorsement started reading it, despite having zero interest in dating sims and every fiber of my body telling me it's a mistake and a waste of time. To my massive surprise, it was not. Not at all.

Not that i'd ever play a game like this myself now, but you presented it in a very interesting fashion and all the additional knowledge you sprinkled in made for an entertaining read. So i'm really glad to see i might get to see the end now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This thread coming back is one of the best things to happen this year.

SystemLogoff posted:

Just paste them all in the sslp test poster and link them in the table of contents. That way it's all in one place and not in the archives.

That and send them over to Baldurk for archiving up to GS2, probably best to ask for them to be partitioned per-game. Not everyone has archive access and these LPs were so good they need to be kept accessible.

HenryEx posted:

Not that i'd ever play a game like this myself now, but you presented it in a very interesting fashion and all the additional knowledge you sprinkled in made for an entertaining read. So i'm really glad to see i might get to see the end now.

:same:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy poo poo this LP's alive! Gonna nth the suggestion of throwing the old thread at Baldurk and getting the completed games up on the archive while throwing your old posts into the SSLP test poster for here.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Hey, welcome back! I've been interested in these games since I fell down the VN-dating sim rabbit hole a few years ago, and I liked all of the information about the culture and references made during the game... so glad this is picking up again!

PS: Yuina best girl

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Hmm, I can't edit the old posts to grab the old BBCode, should I just do a massive C+P and recode them for the SSLP test poster? Please treat me like I am an old man coming out of a coma, be gentle and take care not to frighten me with your information-age technology.

Message sent to Baldurk for lparchive transfer, thanks for the reminder on that one.

I've slept on the new Tokimeki Idol, and I'm still annoyed at its existence. Reason #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENaFc6rEPQ

Their first track is named Dreaming-ing. Dreaming-ing. Who does that?! My jimmies are rustled all over again.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, you're back! The thread is back! Welcome back! :cheers:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ayyyyyy, welcome back! :woop:

Can't wait for more hilarious romcom dating action :dance:

Re: the old posts, maybe you could ask a forum mod to grab the bbcode off the posts for you? I dunno if they're able to do that after a thread's been locked, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
It's happening! Oh my god! Aaaa!

So stoked :allears:

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
It's the miracle of early Halloween. Glad you came back and yeah, I say archive completed games on baldurk and link old posts via sslp too.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Oh my god I only just finished reading the old tokimemi thread a couple months ago and was sad there was no more. This is great!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh hell yes. Gotta read through it all again to refresh my memory.

e: oh Jesus Christ I only just now remembered TM3 and Serika. Oh man.

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DENOoiDtOvw

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
SHEEEEEEEEEEP! :glomp:

You live...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

vibratingsheep posted:

Hmm, I can't edit the old posts to grab the old BBCode, should I just do a massive C+P and recode them for the SSLP test poster? Please treat me like I am an old man coming out of a coma, be gentle and take care not to frighten me with your information-age technology.

You can view the page source and copy the HTML, then do some find/replace to make it easier.

There is probably a HTML to bbcode converter out there too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
whaddup sheep you are doing god's work my guy

also lol @ konami screwing up yet another franchise. seriously, i do not understand how it's so hard to not gently caress up functioning IPs. clearly the old designer needs to launch a kickstarter.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

You can view the page source and copy the HTML, then do some find/replace to make it easier.

There is probably a HTML to bbcode converter out there too.

This is a great idea, and will be a good project to start with tonight while I play browser rpgsrefamiliarize myself with the project. I'll make sure to start from GS2.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Terper posted:

Oh hell yes. Gotta read through it all again to refresh my memory.

e: oh Jesus Christ I only just now remembered TM3 and Serika. Oh man.

Serika is still best girl and I refuse to consider anyone else (Homura was also great though)

Anyway, happy to have you back as our guide into the world of Japanese rom-coms sheep.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

I've slept on the new Tokimeki Idol, and I'm still annoyed at its existence. Reason #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bENaFc6rEPQ

Their first track is named Dreaming-ing. Dreaming-ing. Who does that?! My jimmies are rustled all over again.
I literally cannot tell anything about this apart from an Idolmaster game. Even the font they use for their title looks the same.

e: though the Idolmaster I played didn't have any foreigns in it

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Great to see this being continued. About the new Tokimeki all I have to say is that rhythm games were a mistake.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm very glad this thread is coming back! Definitely gonna read through all the older games again when they make it up onto the archive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought the main appeal of tokimeki games is how normie it is; same with love plus.

I don't really get what tokimeki can do with another idol game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in the godless hellscape that is 2017 at least we can take solace in the return of the tokimeki LP

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Welcome back!

I'm almost sorry to inform you that there kind of was another Tokimemo spinoff between GS3 and Idol, released before the split between Uchida and Konami, because it's not much better.

Meet Tokimeki Restaurant, a game too late for the social media restaurant game craze, but that didn't stop Konami from doing it anyway. The premise is that you (female) run a restaurant frequented by two boybands, and you want to run a successful business and earn their affections by cooking their favorite dishes.

I didn't say it was a good game.

But it somehow still exists and is getting an anime movie next year.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kimitsu posted:

Welcome back!

I'm almost sorry to inform you that there kind of was another Tokimemo spinoff between GS3 and Idol, released before the split between Uchida and Konami, because it's not much better.

Meet Tokimeki Restaurant, a game too late for the social media restaurant game craze, but that didn't stop Konami from doing it anyway. The premise is that you (female) run a restaurant frequented by two boybands, and you want to run a successful business and earn their affections by cooking their favorite dishes.

I can't believe they remade Bistro Cupid.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Kimitsu posted:

Welcome back!

I'd totally forgotten about Tokimeki Restaurant. It died in the same corner of my memory that contains Tokimeki Memorial Online and Tokimeki Memorial Only Love.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
...An idol game? Really? Oh, well. It got this LP back, and that's what counts!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

D3m3 posted:

...An idol game? Really? Oh, well. It got this LP back, and that's what counts!

In an alternate reality, similar to but distinct from our own, the Tokimeki Idol game delays Berserk.
In another alternate reality, Granblue crosses over with Tokimeki and Castlevania instead of Cinderella Girls and Tales of.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Managed a couple of by-hand conversions tonight. It's... not very fun. I'm going to try an HTML to BBcode scraper next, but for now, here are the first couple of reposts:

Let's Play Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2: Rubbing Boys the Wrong Way
Meet the Cast, part 1: The girls!
Meet the Cast, Part 2: The boys!
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1: Uncle Sheepy, could you read us a bedtime story?
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1.1: You can get with this
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 1.2: Or you can get with that
Tokimemo GS 2, Chapter 2: We're not the same 'cause we don't know the game

e: The HTML to BBcode scraper worked like a charm and took 10 seconds. Alright then. The entirety of GS 2 is back up thanks to the SSLP test post generator, and I'll try and get back to new content this week.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 20, 2017

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Good to see you back! I really enjoyed your last LP, it was a dose of sweetness and light in a time of my life that was honestly pretty lovely. I'll be eagerly looking forward to this one.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Tokimeki Restaurant is celebrating 4.5 years of existence. Tokimeki Idol is going to be introduced at 10:30 JST on the 24th.

quote:

10:30 – Tokimeki Idol on Stage: “Try to Star!!” – Featuring the voice actors that make up the character voices and songs of Tokimeki Idol, this special stage will introduce the appeal of the game. Featuring Natsumi Hioka, Minori Suzuki, Yu Wakui, and MCs Icchou Mori and Miyu Watanabe.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/09/tokyo-game-show-2017-live-stream-schedule#OUzJaY0IPI3KdreO.99

Please stop this ride, I want to get off.

(I should be streaming and trying to pick up where I left GS2 off tonight, by the way. Gonna try and get at least a preliminary post up by Friday.)

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aww yeah, ground floor!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what's the point of tokimeki if you don't get the chance to make yourself a god in anime school

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I can't believe this LP is loving dead alive.

Tired Moritz posted:

what's the point of tokimeki if you don't get the chance to make yourself a god in anime school
Constantly failing in anime school is good, too.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Old Man Yells At Konami:

That's my friend Pocky, who agreed to take that picture for me. Thanks, man. I will photoshop you into a Simpsons newspaper later.

e:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 22, 2017

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I spent the last two weeks rummaging through my save files trying to find where I left off for chapter 13... when I realized that I'd posted up through 17. Okay.

Starting work on chapter 18 tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh dammit. I did not know you finished reposting them all. Time to spend some time reading.

• Locked thread