Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

calandryll posted:

This is amazing. How many hours did you have to look for Carlin to say the word genitals, :lol:.

That was actually kinda the turning point where I started to have some idea what the story might be about. It's from the episode about the Münster Anabaptist rebellion. I was already farting around with the idea of doing something about Trump, but at that time it was like "lol what if Trump actually became the nominee wouldn't that be CRAZY". Then he actually became the nominee and I honestly almost gave up on it, because reality seemed to have gotten even more ridiculous than the story I was trying to tell. But then I heard that bit and went "okay, I now have some idea of how to make this crazier than reality".

I also got reaaaallly lucky with his second-to-last Hardcore History, because I'd sorta painted myself into a corner and didn't really know how to escalate or end things. I felt like the obvious thing to do was to have poo poo explode, but didn't have the samples for that. Then Dan does a six hour blitz episode on nukes right exactly when I was struggling with that problem and suddenly the ending just snapped together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Where did you loot the clips about cannibalism from specifically? I remember a few mentions from the Punic wars stuff, and I'm sure he mentioned it in other places just because that sort of thing ends up happening when food gets real scarce in general.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I'm not entirely positive, but I think that may have been the Münster one as well. That was a pretty batshit episode in history, and I know I borrowed a lot of stuff from there.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Yeah they had a real nasty siege and the accompanying starvation. Most of what I remember from that episode was the polygamy and MISSION FROM GOD stuff that I recognized instantly when I heard it in your video.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Polygamy, and it was MANDATORY!

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
lmao this rules

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
"BYE! hope it all works out!"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i was imagining that really poorly done takes of obama being forced to say things by clipping individual words or letters from press briefings but it's like super well constructed and put together and i'm like wow

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

i was imagining that really poorly done takes of obama being forced to say things by clipping individual words or letters from press briefings but it's like super well constructed and put together and i'm like wow

Small phrases tend to work better than individual words I think, and mofo spends a lot of time making things flow correctly. You should check out Son of Strelka, Son of God, it's the same kinda thing using Obama's voice and it's very cool.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

'Quote; "Ok"

End quote

loving :lol:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tax Inductions posted:

Small phrases tend to work better than individual words I think, and mofo spends a lot of time making things flow correctly. You should check out Son of Strelka, Son of God, it's the same kinda thing using Obama's voice and it's very cool.

oh drat. i saw son of strelka but didn't know the content

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

No. 6 posted:

I'm not watching that, op.

I'm not either, but I fully support the op in this endeavor

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm not either, but I fully support the op in this endeavor

You really should. It's absolutely worth it if you've ever listened to Hardcore History.

I'm not sure if it's possible for a video this long to go viral but if anything deserves it it's this.

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I got a good laugh at the end. I appreciate the work you put into this.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This owns.

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
My goodness, that's a marvellous piece of work!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
where is all of son of strelka

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

oh yay it's done!

Son of Strelka helped me through a horrible insomnia attack- like it didn't put me to sleep, but something about that combination of soundtrack and story drove out a buncha intrusive thoughts that were keeping me awake- tyvm for this service to all humans

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

where is all of son of strelka

Nobody ever made videos for chapters other than 1, 2, and 5. The album is here though:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dan_Warren/Son_of_Strelka_Son_of_God

I've always had this weird fantasy that some interpretive dance troupe would pick of Strelka and decide to make a show out of it, because I think that would be loving awesome. I'd reach out to someone about that except I literally have no idea who I would talk to or how to broach the subject.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

mofolotopo posted:

Nobody ever made videos for chapters other than 1, 2, and 5. The album is here though:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dan_Warren/Son_of_Strelka_Son_of_God

I've always had this weird fantasy that some interpretive dance troupe would pick of Strelka and decide to make a show out of it, because I think that would be loving awesome. I'd reach out to someone about that except I literally have no idea who I would talk to or how to broach the subject.

Be the change you want to see.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
*posts thirty minute youtube video of me flailing around fatly in a dog mask*

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was too lazy to chromecast it so I multi window'd it with avgle.com, it was great.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

mofolotopo posted:

A shot in the dark but the guys who did the Murphy's murder for "Our Robocop Remake" seem like they're into weird internet poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FBFFrC3Cw

No contact info but the cast is easy enough to find on the internet

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Pierogi posted:

A shot in the dark but the guys who did the Murphy's murder for "Our Robocop Remake" seem like they're into weird internet poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4FBFFrC3Cw

No contact info but the cast is easy enough to find on the internet

Oh man, I'll have to look into that! Thanks!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
This is a master piece.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This is like Adam Curtis and Chris Morris ate a bunch of shrooms in 2020 and collaborated in making a documentary to send back through time as a warning.

I can't imagine the work that went into this. I starting watching thinking it was going to be "lol Trump" with bad Photoshops and lovely chopped-together soundbites. I didn't expect to be taken on a ride to some of the darkest lols I've had in years, or to be moved to tears at the end.

Everyone I've shared this with has been blown away by it. I don't know how you make a 40 minute video go viral, but this really deserves to be seen by a wider audience outside of this dead gay forum.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I don't know how you make a 40 minute video go viral, but this really deserves to be seen by a wider audience outside of this dead gay forum.

For Son of Strelka it got picked up by the mainstream media, which helped a lot. That hasn't really happened here yet, but who knows? Strelka also got posted on the SA front page, and maybe that will happen here? I honestly can't remember whether there's someone I need to contact about that or whether it just happens.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Holy poo poo this is really good. Thank you so much. I thought hearing Dan Carlin would be funny but I didn't think about the angle of him talking like it was something that happened 2000 years ago lol.

Also I could see why you put the intro in the beginning but it would of been funny to stumble upon this without realizing it's a joke.

Nude fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 18, 2017

Heffer
May 1, 2003

what's the jaunty tune you play in the intro?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Just something I did a while back, it was supposed to sound like the theme song for a detective show from the 90s or something. I always really liked that piece of music and it turned out to just perfectly fit the length of the opening titles. I didn't include it in the Free Music Archive post, but you can get it from my Soundcloud if you want a copy.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/the-detectives

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Nude posted:

Also I could see why you put the intro in the beginning but it would of been funny to stumble upon this without realizing it's a joke.

I'm guessing I would've gotten a lot more of this:

quote:

This is a quality audio work, that is without doubt. However, I think it's lovely for the author to put these words in Dan's mouth, and I'm frankly surprised this sub is fawning over it so much. I'm a huge fan of Carlin's, and I'm annoyed that another would take the esteem I have for Carlin to advance his random-internet-stranger thoughts. If I hadn't followed the link through to youtube, I may have not even notice that this has nothing to do with Carlin.

I'm not commenting on the ideas in the video of whether I agree with them, just the fact that it's an "idea photoshop" of Dan Carlin, trying to steal the credibility Carlin's built in my mind over the years that I have listened to him and not this random youtuber.

Edit: I posted this in another link to this video elsewhere on reddit:
The issue I have with your posting is that your title here claims that this is Carlin's opinions, and so does the video by way of using Carlin's voice and including no obvious disclaimer except in the youtube video info which will go unseen by the majority of the viewers. Except that isn't what this is. It's a giant audio splice, not a summary of Carlin's ideas but of Carlin's words alone, rearranged to push the ideas of the video editor only. It's everything that is wrong with "soundbyte" culture in news over and over again.

The core idea of this video makes no sense in the greater context of Carlin's work. A maxim that I've taken from Common Sense is "Prediction is hard, especially when its about the future." This video is telling the history of an event 3 years away. Just one of the so many things that sets Carlin apart from the cable pundit rabble is he's considerate of his limitations and biases. He's not calling a coming election, but comparing his knowledge of circumstances and issues of the past and what he sees as the trends and problems today. In this video, you've omitted the consideration of the Common Sense podcast for the dramatic style of the Hardcore History podcast. It paints a story of a (as of yet) non-existent past, but if Carlin was really doing this topic, every other sentence would include something like "but, folks, you gotta understand, anything could happen" in it.

The author obviously put a lot of work into this video, it's very well crafted. But, for all the hours the author put into this, Carlin has put in orders of magnitude more in order to gain the trust of an audience. The author should record these thoughts in his own voice, or hell, get a friend/hire someone to record these thoughts without Carlin's voice. If they ring true/you're lucky, the video should stand on its own. As it is now, the video co-opts the esteem Carlin's audience has for him to push the views of some random youtuber with no name attached to the project and certainly not the years of familiarity many have with Carlin's work.

(from the Dan Carlin subreddit, if that wasn't obvious)

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

mofolotopo posted:

lol what a galoob

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Yeah I got a bit of that with Son of Strelka too. At some point you just have to say "yep, that's apparently a thing you think".

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

mofolotopo posted:

Yeah I got a bit of that with Son of Strelka too. At some point you just have to say "yep, that's apparently a thing you think".

could be a sophisticated troll. you have a disclaimer that it isn't representative of Dan Carlin right off the bat.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Yeah, it's tempting to point that out but gently caress me if I'm going to engage.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mofolotopo posted:

Lol at this guy.

Coral Reefer
Feb 19, 2005

I touched a clown and now I am going to jail. I hope they let me keep my beard.
Grimey Drawer
I've only had time to listen to snippets of this, but it was amazing. Looking forward to listening to the whole thing today! Awesome work! :five:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is going to get me through the workday. Voted 5

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Amazing

This should win a Grammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013