Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

apple made the best looking rack mount servers. which is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Silver Alicorn posted:

When I was in early college, before I could afford things like up-to-date computers, my dream was to use an xserve as my desktop machine

I worked at at company whose name rimes with Poop. They were still using a cluster of 50+ xserves to host a 800gb SAN in 2015. Permissions got hosed every single night because their ACLs were so poorly set up lol. I think the tech people were the only people at the company with a worse job than mine

The XKCD Larper fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 18, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

akadajet posted:

apple made the best looking rack mount servers. which is important

they were absolute trash (because mac os is not a server os) but they were stylin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

only server i ever dealt with that was around this age was some old alpha server when i worked for texas tech's distance leaning group back in 02-03 as an cj

it was running some version of windows for alpha but iirc was nothing more than a file server at that point.

an old-rear end nt4 box, nothing after that had alpha support (technically win2k had it in beta but it was never released)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they should bring back the xserve or similar

otherwise your ios build farms have to run on rackmounted macs pro and that is just ridiculous

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is that what Apple uses themselves or do they just have some internal OS X build that will run on Dell/HP/whatever rackmounts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

prolly just dozens of macs mini arranged like blades

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or they just have an internal build that doesn't have the kernel check for the SMC because osx will run on literally anything

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I would assume they have secret non consumer hardware in the vein of those early intel dev kits they showed that looked like G5’s without branding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i also wouldn't be that surprised if their own internal build farms cross-compiled on linux or solaris and sidestepped the whole problem

apple, historically, wasn't all-osx. maybe that has changed, but i doubt it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the apple store runs on a next cube with webobjects installed and a ppc 604 accelerator

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
triggered

quote:

also triggered

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I would assume they have secret non consumer hardware in the vein of those early intel dev kits they showed that looked like G5s without branding
this seems most likely

i dont see apple doing internal hackintoshing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not hackintoshing if it's their os on supported hardware. if they pulled the smc check just about any bog standard xeon setup is supported natively with no additional kexts needed

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I want to say they use/used FreeBSD?

Siri runs on mesos, I’d bet that is Linux based.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Punkbob posted:

osx is built of the mach bsd kernel at its core.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Punkbob posted:

mesos is a centos/rhel thing i think

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they should bring back the xserve or similar

otherwise your ios build farms have to run on rackmounted macs pro and that is just ridiculous

Talking to my friend who is a PM over at a very large digital media division, MacStadium (aka the guys who will rackmount your Mac Mini in a DC) makes most of their money running iOS build servers, and of that a good chunk is for companies who outsource their iOS app development. It's a combination of 'cut-rate dev shops in India wont give their coders Macs' and 'yeah we own this binary so we gotta compile it on a company-controlled box'.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Punkbob posted:

back in the day they were a solaris shop :q:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RISCy Business posted:

mesos is dead as gently caress. redhat bet on k8s instead, and even the mesos vendor, mesosphere, is now selling k8s

but yes mesos has been a linux thing from day one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I only ever used mesos as an alternative container manager on a cluster, then I saw them marketing it as like a full application container management system

I mean it made sense but it also felt like "Yes lets use YARN to run our jabbascript apps"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
marathon is the actual part that schedules docker containers, it's just a mesos framework. and yeah kubernetes is better

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

use my ANS daddy

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“RISCy Business”" post="“476606064”"]
[/quote]

mesos is a Linux thing. most folks I know of don't run it on cent because the docker/kernel are so old. Mesosphere is targeting coreos in the future versions of the commercial release because of it.

but I looked it up and Apple is a FreeBSD/rhel shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="“Notorious b.s.d.”" post="“476717573”"]
mesos is dead as gently caress. redhat bet on k8s instead, and even the mesos vendor, mesosphere, is now selling k8s

but yes mesos has been a linux thing from day one
[/quote]

I have a fondness for mesos(although gently caress dc/os) and think it makes sense in particular scenarios. if you need/want to run stuff natively on the host it can do that, or if you were going to operate it as a parent scheduler to multiple k8 clusters it's resource segmentation model is much better.

data science world is built to run on mesos as well.

Nomad is quickly moving in for the kill, and k8 is much better for docker management.

• Locked thread