Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

ChesterJT posted:

People thinking Lee might have died because of the chair and calling out when they "knew" it was abbot are this threads "I acquit". Good bless you all.

OK in regards to the former, in all fairness I said that's what I INITIALLY THOUGHT - and then I said I was very quickly corrected before I ever posted - I never tried to argue that this is still a potentially valid interpretation. It's not. I'm not trying to be one of those guys arguing that Ward didn't shoot the dog

i am the bird posted:

Even though I loved the show, it's still crazy that these guys faced basically no repercussions for all the poo poo they did to Belinda Brown. The scene of her doing well feels like a bit of a writer's copout in a "she's fine, so all's well that end's well" kind of way.

You're right that Gamby came out ahead, but Russell lost his wife, lost a hand, and is now working in a far shittier mall retail job (and the one thing that he said he gained, his friendship with Gamby, seems to have a great deal of distance and restrain in the coda). I guess none of that is a completely direct result of what he did to her but he's certainly far worse off than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Great series. I'll miss it.

I thought the show was too strongly hinting at Abbott in episode 7 and suddenly thought Snodgrass might be the shooter when she told Gamby to just move on and forget about Lee. I guess it wasn't an Agatha Christie novel.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Clearly Lee had been reincarnated as the sassy clothing store manager, and the scene of him at the end in the food court was like his force ghost.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I was reading a book on the Civil War last night and was on the chapter summarizing the battle of Chattanooga and laughed when I read that some of the most furious action took place on Snodgrass Hill

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man this was a real fuckin' good show.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Goddamn, this show was really amazing. I just love the danny mcbride/jody hill/ eastbound and down type poo poo, those guys can write.

I am truly impressed by how human russel and gamby are, like russel is a p much straight up serial killer, and I was praying he wasnt the shooter because of how much I loved his relationship with gamby.

Although I wish there was more, I like that it was a focused, single shot type deal. Short and sweet is a term that applies to way too few shows imo, but Vice principals really was short and sweet

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Also s/o to edi patterson, after Walton Goggins she was the best actor. Apparently Abbot was supposed to be a minor character until she came along and then they wrote her in more

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Personally I think Lee becoming a District Manager at a Ladies clothing store is loving perfect for him. He's a cruel and twisted man, so retail is his Heaven. I'm happy for him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's like the opposite of The Shield's ending. Great show and sucks that it was so short, but at least it won't be ran into the ground.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I was reading a book on the Civil War last night and was on the chapter summarizing the battle of Chattanooga and laughed when I read that some of the most furious action took place on Snodgrass Hill

Same but a book about ExxonMobil, her relative is an Air Force major general it turns out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Also s/o to edi patterson, after Walton Goggins she was the best actor. Apparently Abbot was supposed to be a minor character until she came along and then they wrote her in more

I can totally see that she comes from a mostly improv background.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Goddamn, this show was really amazing. I just love the danny mcbride/jody hill/ eastbound and down type poo poo, those guys can write.

I am truly impressed by how human russel and gamby are, like russel is a p much straight up serial killer, and I was praying he wasnt the shooter because of how much I loved his relationship with gamby.

Although I wish there was more, I like that it was a focused, single shot type deal. Short and sweet is a term that applies to way too few shows imo, but Vice principals really was short and sweet

I like Gamby a lot more than the eastbound guy. The eastbound guy was pretty one dimensional and was just an irreddeemable rear end in a top hat. Gamby is definitely over the top and a rear end in a top hat, but hes has a lot more depth and is a lot more sympathetic.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drat, I really want to say this show was better than Eastbound & Down, but I can't quite bring myself to admitting it. It's close though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Last Chance posted:

drat, I really want to say this show was better than Eastbound & Down, but I can't quite bring myself to admitting it. It's close though.

Yeah Eastbound and Down is a bit better in my opinion, simply because there was more to it (and I never really thought it got bad, even the weird last season was pretty good for being a change of pace) and I kinda feel like Gamby’s character had a lot of inspiration from whatever that dude’s name was.

Goggins was singularly great in this though

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Did y’all really admit to forgetting Kenny FUCKIN Powers’ name?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think Eastbound S1 is the strongest of all 6 of the EB&D/VP seasons, but I think I enjoy Vice Principals more on the whole. Even though I enjoyed the other seasons I felt like EB&D was just wandering around toward the end because of how popular it was. I appreciated that Vice Principals set out to tell a story and told it and that was that.

I might also be in love with Walton Goggins which clouds my judgement just a bit, though.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Vice Principals S2 was a hell of a season of TV, but Goggins's performance was the only thing that allowed it to come close to the same heights Eastbound and Down did.

EB&D is definitely better overall, but it's one of the best shows ever, so there's no shame in that

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked Eastbound but found it almost a little too awkward and the character too horrible. VP's kept a balance of "this person is loving scum deserving of their fate" with "oh, maybe they're learning, maybe they have some good in them."

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Baronjutter posted:

I liked Eastbound but found it almost a little too awkward and the character too horrible. VP's kept a balance of "this person is loving scum deserving of their fate" with "oh, maybe they're learning, maybe they have some good in them."

Who was horrible on Eastbound?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Who was horrible on Eastbound?

Kenny Powers was a vile human until he got his poo poo together at the end of the series.

I think Vice Principals is the better show overall, but Kenny Powers is still one of the best characters in TV history.

edit: Can't wait for the new Jody Hill movie.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man what a show! I’m glad Russel wasn’t the one who shot him but am sad they didn’t stay close friends. I don’t know why though cause they were really awful when they got together. Oh well, fantastic show, they definitely went out on top and didn’t drag it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

That's funny because I know people who loved Eastbound but couldn't stand Vice Principals because they thought the characters were too horrible.

• Locked thread