Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Last night's episode was good. This season will be good. This show is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zaggitz posted:

Gamby doing a good thing???????

Pretty dark episode but we basically have this seasons arcs set up in terms of Gamby probably redeeming himself slightly and Russell going completely bonkers.

I feel like this was always kind of where the characters were gonna go. Gamby is stubborn and childish but he's always kind of had a heart of gold. Russell has been pretty much nuts from the beginning

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Ray is the shooter. Shea Wigham rules

Actually come to think of it Gamby's daughter has been uncharacteristically despondent and detached in each episode so far. Maybe I missed something at the end of S1 that caused her to be that way but that's definitely gonna be a thing later in the season. Will it be connected to the shooter is any one's guess though.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Last night’s episode was great. I left the previous episode thinking Gamby should just stay with Abbot or whatever her name is, but this one clearly reminded the audience why she’s horrible.

I’m really curious where this show is going to go. Gamby’s always been portrayed as a stubborn idiot with a heart of gold, but Russell is just...a sociopath and hasn’t really done anything to redeem himself. He didn’t do anything at the end of this episode but catch a break. Maybe Russell will use this as a turning point? The teachers outside of Snodgrass have all been proven to be complete poo poo heels. Gamby and Snodgrass (and Nash I guess) are the only two ‘morally good’ characters in the show (outside of Gamby’s family, where the ex wife seems to have mellowed out a bit from last season).

Next episode looks like it’s going to be similar to the field trip episode from last season, which was in my opinion the weakest episode of the show so far; but I’m still looking forward to it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don’t think Russell did it. Pretty sure Abbott was involved in placing that stuff in the car

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hey fellow 'Christine could have done it' theorist! Also, thinking more on that, didn't Gamby mention in the first ep of the season that the shooter made sure not to hit anything vital. Since she's shown in scrubs a lot (I'm not sure if it's ever said specifically what her specialty as a doctor is) she'd obviously have knowledge of anatomy. :aaa:

Yeah my two big candidates right now are Abbott and Christine. Lee’s too obvious, and the reveal at the end of last night’s episode reeked of bait and switch. The only way Lee did it is if the show pulls some weird ‘nah Lee didn’t do it it was X!’ And then at the very end he reveals it was him after all. But that’s dumb.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Regy Rusty posted:

I was disappointed that Snodgrass's book was genuinely terrible because I can't stand insufferable people who use the word "prose" like that.

But alas, sometimes it's actually warranted.

Yeah having dated a girl who envisions herself as a novelist but writes really crappy fantasy in the past, and another friend who writes crappy YA sci-fi, this joke hit a little close to home in a good way. I think the fact she was writing a ‘YA novel’ was a big setup for that scene in retrospect.

I think it’s ok though. Shows Snodgrass is just a regular joe like the rest of them. Maybe it’s depressing in a way but it puts her back on Gamby’s level.

e: my one critique for this episode is that I wish they did more with the red head who was in awe of Snodgrass’ boyfriend. Was expecting him to cheat on Snodgrass with her, but all she did was show up at the reading. I guess the set up was showing how easy it is for him to get younger women because of his stature, so my issue isn’t really a big one.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 30, 2017

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The music in the past few episodes has been amazing.

Still think it’s Abbott after thinking back on the episode, although I was second guessing thinking Russell was innocent while watching. He never directly denies being the shooter, but also never admits it either. That’s not any kind of closure at all.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

cant cook creole bream posted:

Does anyone know what Christine's mother said this episode?

I’m assuming everything she said was just translated and repeated by Christine.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fast Luck posted:

He was drowning cats from a young age though.

he should have defended himself more when Gamby confronted him about finding the mask and gun in his jeep. Like, said, "that's impossible, someone must have framed me" because from that it'd follow immediately that Abbott showed up uninvited and got dumped.

The Dennis System posted:

Yeah, there’s no way he wouldn’t have protested that accusation more. He could have explained where he was at the time of the shooting. He might even have witnesses who could corroborate.

Yeah but Lee also not fully admitting it makes that dramatic revelation some real weak poo poo. I think there not being a big reveal at the end would hurt the season on the whole in my opinion.

But Idk. I was close to turning around and thinking Lee was the killer while watching it.

The closing shot of Abbott is something that needs to be considered.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FogHelmut posted:

Lee didn't fight the accusation because he knew it put him in a position of power over Gamby.

Lee needs a redemption next episode. He finds the real shooter.

Plus Gamby was pointing a loving gun at Lee right from the start of the confrontation. Knowing Lee’s character, it probably pissed him off in a way that made him not want to bargain or plead with Gamby.

That’s what I’m going with until next episode at least

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I didn’t really see it as Russell dying. Too many details with his injured hand, plus that theory just reeks ‘baseless dream theory theory with not enough evidence to back up it being a dream’

E: also put me in the ‘knew it was Abbot as early as the SB episode but with inkling suspicions since the Russell party episode’ group

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChesterJT posted:

Well they only needed to correct the ones that were bad, maybe he did good on his own?

People thinking Lee might have died because of the chair and calling out when they "knew" it was abbot are this threads "I acquit". Good bless you all.

Eh I mean there are posts going back pages where people were saying they thought it was Abbott, so...?

I mean I even had a post after last week’s episode saying if that was how Russell was revealed it was weak and I still thought it was Abbott

I’ll give you the ghost Lee interpretation is pretty dumb though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Last Chance posted:

drat, I really want to say this show was better than Eastbound & Down, but I can't quite bring myself to admitting it. It's close though.

Yeah Eastbound and Down is a bit better in my opinion, simply because there was more to it (and I never really thought it got bad, even the weird last season was pretty good for being a change of pace) and I kinda feel like Gamby’s character had a lot of inspiration from whatever that dude’s name was.

Goggins was singularly great in this though

• Locked thread