Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lake Mungo was legitimately creepy and even deeply scary at times but don't go in expecting a horror. It left me feeling legitimately sad. It's a super somber film and almost bittersweet.

Now for Blackcoats Daughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm going to try to watch 31 by Halloween. I started last night with The ABCs of Death, which is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I liked maybe two of the segments.

I'm about to watch Blue Sunshine, which I know literally nothing about, outside of the fact that Robert Smith named a non-Cure album he made after it.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 17, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ROCKULA!

This movie is kinda sad to watch, because it's immensely embarrassing for everyone involved (except Toni Basil, who is perfect), but it just needed one more pass to turn it into Earth Girls are Easy, but for Vampires instead of Aliens. It's campy and when the comedy hits, it really hits, but the absolutely bizarre choice to make it a diagetical musical (there are long sequences of songs relevant to the plot that are sung by the characters, but not like a broadway musical - it's things like Mona preforming at a show, or the gang watching a music video), and then instead of making 1 minute long songs that get in, make their point and are then over - it's a WHOLE 3½ minute 80s pop song - which ultimately is what sinks this.

Bonus points: When Rapula appears. Also, the bat transformation is pretty hilarious.
Downside: Thomas Dolby is slumming hardcore, dude invented Ogg Vorbis, why are you playing a low-rent Alan Cumming caricature?

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#4: House II: The Second Story (1987)

This is barely a horror movie, if at all. It's a wacky fantasy adventure that features cowboy mummies, caterpillar dogs and baby pterodactyls. It also features a billion other weird things. It reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China more than anything, albeit a much less successful version of it.

I'm an idiot so I still enjoyed it on some level. 5/10

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Blue Sunshine was decent. The DRUGS ARE EVIL aspect was a little goofy, but the performances were so weird that I enjoyed it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I had no idea this was going to be a thing, otherwise I wouldn't have watched Raw and Prevenge just a few days early. I seriously doubt I'd be able to watch all 31 anyway but I'll start with It Comes at Night later tonight.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Blackcoats Daughter was like an inferior The VVitch. I liked Lake Mungo way better

Up next: Poltergeist

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drunkboxer posted:

#3: Noroi (2005)

I'm not sure how I avoided this one so long. It's long, and probably has one too many climaxes, but the switching between regular found footage, news coverage, TV shows and interview segments keeps it from getting boring. It also has plenty of lore in it (historians looking at scrolls to learn about the demon, etc.) which I'm a sucker for no matter how cliched it is. Are the other mockmentaries by the director as good as this?

Also this part is pretty weird:

7/10

Rereading the Wikipedia page for that movie and the others that guy has made reminds me of why I despise J-Horror(besides it's overusage of jump scares), that subgenre seems incapable of having anything but endings where the villain/monster wins*, not only is it loving depressing, it also makes it impossible to get invested in the plot or characters since those movies all end the same

*sure there's plenty of examples of that in Western Horror, but it's nowhere near as omnipresent as it is in J-Horror

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

5. The Puppet Masters - I have a reflexive negative reaction to Heinlein ever since that time I read The Cat Who Walks Through Walls in 6th grade, but Staff Pick and I know only half his books abandon whatever they're doing to focus on how important free love is so I tried to give it a shot anyway. I have to give the movie some credit for diving straight into the action, but it turns out it really only did that because it's basically a totally vanilla Hollywood Tom Clancy-style adaptation with space aliens instead of Russians. There are, like, 2.5 scenes that try to remind you Heinlein was a weird guy and having something else run your body for a while would probably be traumatic, but the movie doesn't really care and tries to get back to chases or gunfights as quickly as it can. I hated it, but at least I didn't hate it for the reasons I expected to. Probably a fine movie if you like that sort of thing, but I wouldn't call it horror even though the subject matter should qualify - nothing about the presentation does.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Dead & Buried
1981, dir. Gary Sherman | Shudder

When I decided to do a randomizer to pick each movie, I thought that there might be an occasional threads that connect movies together. It's already started with I Walked With A Zombie and Dead & Buried: voodoo

I can't go into details about this movie, because it's a mystery full of twists. The basic setup: visitors/outsiders to a small town are getting brutally murdered. Sheriff Dan Gills wants to find the killer, and the reason for the murders. Who is killing is revealed to the audience within the first 10 minutes of the film, but we don't know why, or how. Beyond that, I'd say ignore any summary about the movie and go in blind, because it's a hell of a ride. The script was written by Dan O'Bannon, a writer/director of Night of the Living Dead, writer of Lifeforce, Alien, Total Recall and others, meaning it's clever, fun, and playfully weird.

This movie was recommended to me during the May challenge (by Basebf555, I think), but I had to put it on the backburner until this thread. I'm glad I did and kind of upset, because this movie is fan-loving-tastic. It's a little slow at first, but the questions start piling up before the end of the first act, and the twists don't end until the final lines.

Fans of mysteries in small towns (with possibly supernatural occurrences) need to check this out. There's an opening scene that reminds me of Jack Nance's Pete finding Laura Palmer's body wrapped in plastic by the water. This movie isn't Lynchian, but the town is beautifully shot (the direction and cinematography is top notch), the characters are weird, and there's something more going on behind closed doors. It also manages to keep things tense.

The special effects and gore is also wonderful. The kills are violent and creative. This movie could easily be considered a slasher, just like John Carpenter's The Fog, which is like a sister-film to this (this movie came out a year later). There's great use of monochrome "16mm" film stock that is very eerie, and a great final scene where it returns in a great way.

There's also fun cameos: Robert Englund has a bit part and steals scenes from the background, Barry Corbin shows up doing his schtick.

Overall, a wonderful experience, and a film I am definitely showing my friends at my horror movie nights. Absolutely make it a priority, I want everyone to watch this hidden gem.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie, Dead & Buried
REWATCH:
TOTAL: 2

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I enjoyed They Look Like People a lot. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was a fairly quiet indie movie and it turning out to be a mental illness was pretty well-done.

So 3 movies now. I may try to stick with movies I haven't seen before. Shudder is 95% stuff I've never heard of, so this will be fun.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie #2: Ravenous

Half watched this to clear space from my DVR, but I found it generally rewarding. The overall story is whatever, but the moment to moment stuff is really well put together. I particularly enjoyed the contrast between the sprightly banjo in the score and the maniac running around eating people.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Franchescanado posted:

Dead & Buried
1981, dir. Gary Sherman | Shudder

I love the crap out of this movie. But maaaaan is it hard to avoid spoilers for. IIRC, the main twist gets spoiled in the goddamn official trailer. Like, what the hell?!

Also man does this thread make it hard for me to not spoil my rules and start watching stuff early. You guys are killing me here!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Mummy
1959, dir. Terence Fisher | rental

Despite it's flaws, this is probably the best of the traditional mummy movies.

I haven't found my favorite classic mummy movie yet. They all fall into these tropes inherent with the story that I dislike. I want a sentient mummy, or at least one that has free will, not an undead slave of an a villain. I don't really care for mummies who's main goal is to be with a woman he loves, but that's pretty much every Mummy movie. Why can't the mummy just attack because of the curse, not because he's got a hard-on for a chick that looks like his old queen/princess? Why is all the mummy action in houses, or in forests? Why aren't there more spooky tombs? It's a mummy story, it should have unique/exotic sets. I admit these are my preconceived ideals for a mummy movie, it's unfair to judge a movie by such, it should be critiqued by what it offers, but since it doesn't stray far from the plot structure of many other movies (both before and after), it's important to mention.

I prefer this to the 1932 Boris Karloff Mummy, which I think is the most visually interesting but worst stories of the Universal Monster movies, a love triangle between an rear end in a top hat, a mummy with psychic powers, and a child-like woman. This movie drops the romantic angle and instead concentrates on the interesting characters, the people that find the mummy and their family/friends. This movie improves upon the original in every way: sets, plot, characters and their actors, action, cinematography, mummy design, etc. The extended flashback drags on, but it's pretty and the costumes are fun and elaborate.

My biggest problem with this film is it's structure. It decides to tell and re-tell stories and have extended flashbacks. There is one in particular that would improve the film tremendously: at the beginning of the film, John Banning (Cushing)'s father is left alone in the tomb. He screams and is found terrified and belligerent by his partner, and is soon revealed he has been driven mad. In the middle of the second act, John Banning says "I have finally realized what my father must have seen!" We then cut back to the original scene, which repeats for several minutes, before it's shown that Banning's father read a scroll and was attacked by the mummy (something the audience already assumed at this point). Why? The viewer has to wait quite a while before seeing awesome mummy action in the first act. If the scene were to have just been shown, it would have made the pacing much better! My assumption is, at 86 minutes long, the film needed padding, and the flashbacks do that, but also hurt the overall experience.

Cushing is great in the film. Someone in the horror thread or this thread said that no matter what the role was, he always committed and gave it his all. This is a great example of that skill and dedication as an actor, and is a reason why this and Hammer films in general have endured. Christopher Lee is good as the mummy as well, though all he does is lug his heavy limbs around. I don't know how I feel about an actor like Lee being relegated to a physical and non-speaking role. His skill is his menace and charm. It made me want to see Javier Botet have a go at being a mummy (partially inspired by his portrayal of the leper from IT).

Thematic link to Dead & Buried: the undead being controlled by a clever bad-guy expert of his field

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

"Bandages" by Hot Hot Heat
"The Mummy" by Benji Hughes"

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie, Dead & Buried, The Mummy ('59)
REWATCH:
TOTAL: 3

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I'm going to try and squeeze in as many films as I can during October, I doubt I'll get the full 31 unless I double or even triple up on some day's as I keep an odd schedule.

I'm mostly going to use movies I own on physical media(Blu-Ray, DVD and VHS) luckily I have a bunch of Arrow releases from when my local HMV closed down that I'm yet to tuck into.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Night Creatures
AKA

One of the more underseen and underrated Hammer flicks, Night Creatures is basically a live action Scooby-Doo episode told from the perspective of the villain. Peter Cushing is right in his wheelhouse here, he always plays a spectacular rear end in a top hat. It's almost like a mystery set-up, but the audience is more or less in on the secret and you get to watch a group of bumbling soldiers get dunked on my Cushing repeatedly as they slowly figure it out for themselves.

Obviously this movie had no budget, but in this case it didn't really effect the storytelling and you get all of the usual Hammer touches like great costumes and interesting looking sets. This is yet another one that isn't really scary though, come to think of it that's three in a row that I've watched like that. Shock Waves was a bit scarier though, could partially be because I hadn't seen it before.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing, Night Creatures

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting surprised by how many Dan O'Bannon projects I unintentionally put on my pull list. Dude's done a lot of stuff, and it's loving awesome.

Basebf555 posted:

Night Creatures
AKA

That poster is amazing.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 18, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Movie #2 on my list...Ernest Scared Stupid...is...totally rad! There's some stuff like Ernest's "rapid progression of impressions" from his show that don't really hold up but everything else about this movie is super fun. The various stuff related to the creature(s) is awesome too and it looks really good at times.

I can see how this would be legit terrifying to a little kid too just because of the really primal way the main kids are shown as cool via their canned goods launching treehouse, and then immediately after the creature is dropping kids left and right with ease I mean the movie foreshadows that the kids can be brought back and whatever but still and no one gives a poo poo - even after everyone is aware of the situation the adults are more upset that no one's respecting authority than they are about the kids that vanished. Like you can tell this was made a year after IT was on TV/the book blew up again.

They do a good job balancing more serious horror movie shots and situations with Ernest's wackiness, I love the extreme dutch angle steadicam shot of him running down the school hallway screaming with a genuinely shaken and panicked face as tense music but he's also strutting in the most ridiculous way possible.

Plus there's Eartha Kitt as an insane metal welder artist/local occult history expert!?!?! This movie rules.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 18, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Movie #2 on my list...Ernest Scared Stupid...is...totally rad! There's some stuff like Ernest's "rapid progression of impressions" from his show that don't really hold up but everything else about this movie is super fun. The various stuff related to the creature(s) is awesome too and it looks really good at times.

I can see how this would be legit terrifying to a little kid too just because of the really primal way the main kids are shown as cool via their canned goods launching treehouse, and then immediately after the creature is dropping kids left and right with ease I mean the movie foreshadows that the kids can be brought back and whatever but still and no one gives a poo poo - even after everyone is aware of the situation the adults are more upset that no one's respecting authority than they are about the kids that vanished. Like you can tell this was made a year after IT was on TV/the book blew up again.

They do a good job balancing more serious horror movie shots and situations with Ernest's wackiness, I love the steadicam shot of him running down the school hallway screaming with a legit shaken and panicked face but strutting in the most ridiculous way possible.

Plus there's Eartha Kitt as an insane metal welder artist/local occult history expert!?!?! This movie rules.

I love it. My first horror movie. I showed it to some friends recently and they also enjoyed it. It's the best of the Ernest movies by far, better cinematography and more sense with the direction--fun angles, good shots like you mentioned, lighting that gives it a Looney Tunes quality--and the creature design is pretty good. The trolls are all incredibly unique from each other and shows a lot of fun and freedom with the art design (same with the tree, the flashback shots of the troll's hands ripping through it's bag, Eartha Kitt's house, the illustrations in the book). It's a Halloween standard, because who didn't want a treehouse like that--spooky forest and all!-- when they were a kid?!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I love it. My first horror movie. I showed it to some friends recently and they also enjoyed it. It's the best of the Ernest movies by far, better cinematography and more sense with the direction--fun angles, good shots like you mentioned, lighting that gives it a Looney Tunes quality--and the creature design is pretty good. The trolls are all incredibly unique from each other and shows a lot of fun and freedom with the art design (same with the tree, the flashback shots of the troll's hands ripping through it's bag, Eartha Kitt's house, the illustrations in the book). It's a Halloween standard, because who didn't want a treehouse like that--spooky forest and all!-- when they were a kid?!

I loved the show as a kid, but the only movie I had seen was Ernest Goes to Camp which, even as a kid was obviously awful so I went into this with pretty low expectations. But what you say is true this one really nails being a live action cartoon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

I loved the show as a kid, but the only movie I had seen was Ernest Goes to Camp which, even as a kid was obviously awful so I went into this with pretty low expectations. But what you say is true this one really nails being a live action cartoon.

The only other one worth watching is Ernest Saves Christmas, which goes even further with the Looney Tunes tone, but isn't as strong with the presentation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I watched a Silent Canadian Ballet version of Dracula from 2002 called Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary. It was nothing I'd expected to see, and I enjoyed the Hell out of it. It was very stylish.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

basically a live action Scooby-Doo episode told from the perspective of the villain. Peter Cushing...

sold

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Due to the constant ebb and flow of movies on streaming services I'm finding that some of the stuff I added a while back to my list is no longer streaming on any service I have. So far I've missed out on Ravenous and the 1990 version of Night of The Living Dead. I'm having to adjust my list on the fly just to make sure I have enough to get me through to Halloween.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Franchescanado posted:

The only other one worth watching is Ernest Saves Christmas, which goes even further with the Looney Tunes tone, but isn't as strong with the presentation.

Ernest Goes to Jail is alright, if only because of how dark it is. There's an odd sequence where Ernest temporarily gains electrical powers after a botched electric chair scene which is like "wait, this is a kids movie?!"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Untrustable posted:

Due to the constant ebb and flow of movies on streaming services I'm finding that some of the stuff I added a while back to my list is no longer streaming on any service I have. So far I've missed out on Ravenous and the 1990 version of Night of The Living Dead. I'm having to adjust my list on the fly just to make sure I have enough to get me through to Halloween.

Don't forget about YouTube. There's tons on there, although not necessarily in HD. Copyrighted material gets removed pretty fast but there's a lot of public domain and 80s movies that no one seems to care about enforcing on there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

You can always refer to my write-up of what horror movies are on which streaming services in the OP.

Choco1980 posted:

Ernest Goes to Jail is alright, if only because of how dark it is. There's an odd sequence where Ernest temporarily gains electrical powers after a botched electric chair scene which is like "wait, this is a kids movie?!"

Not to mention that imposter Ernest is a rapey creep.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

You can always refer to my write-up of what horror movies are on which streaming services in the OP.

Good on ya' Franchescanado. I completely forgot about that. You're a lifesaver. With my job only taking up like 10 hours a week my main concern is I won't have enough movies for the whole marathon. I'm constantly adding suggestions from the main horror thread. I'm hoping my final count falls somewhere between 70-100. A lofty goal but I gotta make up for all the years I couldn't do the challenge.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Untrustable posted:

Good on ya' Franchescanado. I completely forgot about that. You're a lifesaver. With my job only taking up like 10 hours a week my main concern is I won't have enough movies for the whole marathon. I'm constantly adding suggestions from the main horror thread. I'm hoping my final count falls somewhere between 70-100. A lofty goal but I gotta make up for all the years I couldn't do the challenge.

No problem bud! Just don't burn yourself out. You can find quite a few good movies from the 50's-80's on YouTube in pretty good condition, like The Changeling and Romero's Martin (it's the only easy way to see Martin, actually).

My list is now at 115, with only 6 of those being rewatches, and I've already knocked out 3. There's absolutely no way I'm going to watch them all, but I'll probably get through half of them.

Selecting my movies at random has been really interesting and fun. It also makes me just dive right into a movie without wasting time picking one.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Gonna watch a bunch of real weird and probably bad horror movies :getin:

Fran do horror documentaries like Crystal Lake memories count cause I found this thing that I'm gonna watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWffol3usGI

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 18, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Gonna watch a bunch of real weird and probably bad horror movies :getin:

Fran do horror documentaries like Crystal Lake memories count cause I found this thing that I'm gonna watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWffol3usGI

Franchescanado posted:

All horror movies,
thrillers with enough horror influence,
horror comedies ,
horror documentaries,
horror anthologies
documentaries about the horror genre/movies,
halloween movies,
documentaries about Halloween and correlating events involving Halloween
horror-related things

longer than an hour count

edit: There's some leeway with the hour rule. If it's 56 minutes, then that's fine. But if it's 45 minutes, that doesn't count. Use discretion, because I don't like being a stickler. edit 2: I guess I should go ahead and say anthologies count. I figure it's obvious that they're okay, but just in case someone was wondering.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 18, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Franchescanado posted:

edit: There's some leeway with the hour rule. If it's 56 minutes, then that's fine. But if it's 45 minutes, that doesn't count. Use discretion, because I don't like being a stickler.

I was gonna watch it anyway :colbert:

(its 85 minutes)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

I was gonna watch it anyway :colbert:

(its 85 minutes)

Hahaha, it looks cool!

The run-time thing wasn't directed at you, or anyone, I just thought I'd take the opportunity to clarify it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope The Gate turns in this thread a few times.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

If it counts (it definitely fits the criteria) there is a documentary on Amazon Prime about hainted cars hosted by Adam West. It is called "Ghost Cars and Haunted Automobiles". Here is the only review on Amazon:

"LENGTH: 60 Minutes Journey with Adam West, TV's original BATMAN, in search of the most unusual, bizarre, haunted and mysterious automobiles in the world. Highlights include: Hollywood cars of Elvis, Clark Gable, James Dean and more; Presidential cars the Bonnie & Clyde Getaway Car; cars of the 50's; Indy 500 'Death Car'; amazing stories of the Tucker Torpedo; the first cars ever built; death-defying crashes; and much, much more!

That poo poo sounds hilarious. Definitely on my list now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hope The Gate turns in this thread a few times.

Me too. I was expecting it to be someone's staff pick, but it didn't happen. You mean the '87 one, of course?

Untrustable posted:

If it counts (it definitely fits the criteria) there is a documentary on Amazon Prime about hainted cars hosted by Adam West. It is called "Ghost Cars and Haunted Automobiles". Here is the only review on Amazon:

"LENGTH: 60 Minutes Journey with Adam West, TV's original BATMAN, in search of the most unusual, bizarre, haunted and mysterious automobiles in the world. Highlights include: Hollywood cars of Elvis, Clark Gable, James Dean and more; Presidential cars the Bonnie & Clyde Getaway Car; cars of the 50's; Indy 500 'Death Car'; amazing stories of the Tucker Torpedo; the first cars ever built; death-defying crashes; and much, much more!

That poo poo sounds hilarious. Definitely on my list now.

It counts mainly because I want someone to do a write-up so I don't have to watch it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Oh I think I'll watch it once I finish the movie I'm on right now. It'll be a good closer for the night.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I already posted in the identify a movie thread, but if anyone happens to come across a movie where the big boss has a machine suck phlegm from his chest, then 2 goons hold down some poor bastard while said phlegm is poured in his mouth and can identify it for me I'd appreciate it.

I'm 95% sure it's some sort of horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Me too. I was expecting it to be someone's staff pick, but it didn't happen. You mean the '87 one, of course?

Speaking of all the talk across the various horror/IT threads about what terrifies an adult vs. what terrifies a kid, The Gate absolutely terrified me as a kid in ways I can't even describe, I had nightmares related to it regularly and everything. But I just, like, kept watching it over and over again. I taped it when it was on TV and eventually I wasn't afraid of it anymore from watching it so much. As an adult I love it and recommend it to people all the time.

Another Canadian one I don't see mentioned much is Deadly Eyes. You can see it on Amazon right now! It's the same movie as Night of the Lepus but with giant rats instead of giant rabbits. In a coincidental marketing twist, they realized how stupid that would be and called the movie Deadly Eyes and the poster is just a decrepit urban area dominated by a huge pair of eyes in the center. I say coincidental marketing twist because the exact same thing happened with Night of the Lepus! The poster for the film is just images of eyes because they realized how dumb the movie was.

Anyway Deadly Eyes is a waaaay better and more entertaining movie than Night of the Lepus because it's from the mid 80s and Canadian so it's filled with people trying their damnedest and has some goofy soap opera caliber drama b plot running alongside the rat mayhem.

The giant rats are played by sometimes noticeably happy dogs wearing rat costumes. For close up shots they had a single hand puppet made.

Deadly Eyes is loving awesome.

Also regarding The Gate, just an advanced warning to anyone curious, The Gate 2: Trespassers is a movie that's really bad. Like it would be difficult to watch without friends and alcohol so make sure those conditions are met if you want to make the mistake of watching it. It's one of those flicks you can watch on YouTube because no one cares about it.

• Locked thread