Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Weezer was one of the first bands I got into. My entry point was Green, because when you're 10 you're in your dad's car a lot and your dad really likes Island In The Sun.

Even when I was 13 I could tell there wasn't magic on Make Believe. I went back to Blue and Pink just as Red came out. Teenage me hated it. I kinda got it what they were going for, but it was way too obviously about cash. If you watch the video these days, Pork and Beans is THE icon of 2008. It was kinda dated nine years ago, now it's a graveyard. And it's the simplest song ever written.

I liked Everything and White about as much as I liked Green, but there's no way I'm giving this thing any more than a cursory listen after checking out the previews. The new songs just make no sense as anything but another cash grab. They're 50 year old dudes trying to party at college. It's weird.

And I'd love to see them someday, somehow I missed them up to this point, but now that their ticket prices are legacy act level, their setlists rely on covers of Hey Ya, I Took A Pill In Ibiza and Seven Nation Army, and the only Pink and Maladroit songs on the setlist are part of the same medley, I can't see myself going out of the way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I see Weezer as a band of phases. Phase 1 (Blue-Pink) is great, phase 2 (Green-Mal) is good, phase 3 is transparently terrible (Make Believe-Hurley), phase 4 (Everything-White) is shockingly decent, and we've just hit phase 5 with PD, an album that alternatively bored and offended me. So, not the best start to this one.

• Locked thread