Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Weezer, the once-lovable sweethearts of curiously heavy pop rock, are going to be releasing a new album called Pacific Daydream on October 27, 2017. I hate myself enough that I have decided to make a post about it.

Weezer released their debut album, Weezer (the blue album) in 1994. It, along with its followup Pinkerton (in hindsight, anyway) are considered by much of the fanbase to be their two strongest records. Other parts of the fanbase consider it to be their only two albums worth listening to, at all. Either way, the years since then have had some weird ups and downs.

In 2001, Weezer released their highly anticipated followup to the deeply awkward and embarrassingly confessional Pinkerton. Weezer (the green album) had a... lukewarm reception I'd say? Fueled by a couple radio hits, the album would eventually go platinum. That album was followed by 2002's Maladroit, which I actually like a fair amount. It has a few stinkers, but compared to the decade of bullshit that would follow it, it's great.

After Maladroit, Weezer lost me. 2005's Make Believe, 2008's Weezer (red album), 2009's Raditude and 2010's Hurley felt to me like Rivers throwing whatever he could at the wall, hoping something would stick. Now, in their defense, some people really like this stuff, but it's certainly not for me. Each album spawned talk of a "comeback" but each of them fell flat.

That sorta changed with 2014's Everything Will Be Alright In the End. Some of it was still a little too sickeningly sweet, but overall it was super catchy album with well written songs.

2016's Weezer (white album) continued to show promise, in my opinion anyway. The sweetness was still there, and I think the low points are much lower than EWBAITE, but I also thought the high points were higher. The absurdly titled "L.A. Girlz" was possibly my favorite thing they'd done since Pinkerton.

Well, now it's Pacific Daydream's turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBqFoyXXs3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsG37JcEQNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPWrIvzGgc

Beaches!

The songs don't do much for me. I'll still listen to the album when it comes out. At the very least, Weezer somehow released two salvageable albums in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The album is out and it isn't good. A competently written and perfectly bland pop record.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

El Scorcho is the worst song on Pinkerton :colbert:

• Locked thread