Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

For kalpa, civilisations have risen, created their Gods or were created by them, mastered their planet. Some grew beyond, mastering their system. Some learned the secrets of interstellar travel, and became empires. In time, they failed, or in some cases succeeded, and the cycle began again.

You are a God, or at least an approximation of one. You have the worship of a spacefaring species, a power capable of creating an empire to stand the stresses the Galaxy and its neighbours will put upon it. You can enact your will directly or through your people: You can guide them to true greatness or perhaps devour them all for your own empowerment. The galaxy is built upon ruins upon echoes upon fragments upon dust of those that came before: Perhaps they left behind power that can be turned to your advantage. Or perhaps they are a proverb, a warning to all that follow.

So, tell me about yourself, and tell me about your people.

Who are you?

What is your greatest strength, the focus of your power? (6)

How do you demonstrate finesse, in the refinement of your power? (4)

What do you have a knack for, in addition to your power? (2)

What do you lack? (-2)

Who are your people, the spacefaring species for whom you are a God?

What do they excel at? (4)

What are they ahead of the curve with? (2)

Where do they lag behind? (-2)

Why have they not yet mastered the galaxy in this present age?

Would you sacrifice your strength for your people's benefit? How much?

Would you weaken your people to empower yourself? How much?

I will take a hard maximum of eight Gods or godlike beings.

Discord: https://discord.gg/pAgZb8P and ask for #AJImpyGame access.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
The Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga, Led By The Goddess Mother-Above-All

Pictured: An Artistic Depiction of Mother-Above-All. Note the obscured face; it is considered taboo to display images of Mother-Above-All's face.

Who are you?

"I am Mother-Above-All. The spirit of the Verisagans. I am a gestalt entity formed of the souls of every leader our society has ever known."

Necromancy: "Our culture has survived for hundreds of years by using corpses as the basis of all labor. As a result I have a collective knowledge of necromancy that is beyond all mortal ken, and none may match my gift for controlling the dead. I serve as a collective control system for all my people's undead labor."

Art: "As the collective soul for a nation that has always prided itself on it's art and culture I have developed a divine connection to the arts. I can subtly manipulate or inspire artists, even outside my culture. It has proved useful for protecting my people. I can also create moving works of art myself, useful for just as many reasons."

Pictured: The Current Mother Admiral, Verena Kalkmurnieks. The Kalkmurnieks family has a long tradition of engineering excellence, dating as far back as their planetbound days.

Moved to Factional Bonus

What do you lack? (-2)

Honorbound: "My people believe strongly in personal honor, and it has shaped me in ways that are perhaps not entirely benefical as a goddess. If I give my word, it is a titanic act of will to break it.

"We are the Verisagans, a nation that has known centuries of calamity. In the days of yore we were peaceful nuns living in a verdant river-valley. Then the first disaster came. The mountain that overlooked our land erupted, and never stopped. We desperately dug into the mountains to escape. The new world we emerged into lasted for a brief few years before being consumed by an apocalyptic war. After we dug ourselves out again, we were met by a world empty of life. The planet itself was no longer safe - it was only a matter of time until radiation killed us all. So we made a choice, to escape, to abandon the very concept of planetary life. Never again would we trust delicate biospheres. We live in great ark ships now, stopping only to raise corpses, study the art of other peoples, and collect resources."

"I am the undying leader of our people, forged in necromantic ritual in our most desperate hour from the spirits of every Mother Superior past, an office abolished after my birth. The Mother Admiral serves as the head of government and my lieutenant. When she dies, she joins me. I gain her memories, thoughts, feelings and become a more powerful being. I largely deal with external threats and matters of diplomacy, and leave day-to-day operations to the Mother Admiral."

----------------------------------

Verisagan Arcano-Technology

Most space-faring nations have developed either magic or technology to solve the challenges of space-faring. The Matriarchy is unique in that it blends both. Verisagan FTL systems use magically generated portals to enter what amounts to the spirit realm or "afterlife". Space is more conceptual than literal therein, and navigation between distant points in real space is typically rapid. It can also be used for short-range "hops" in combat situations but this is generally not done. Spirits are not fond of living people entering and exiting their realm wily-nily. For sublight space and atmospheric travel silver-drives are typically employed - hybrid technological-necromantic systems that harness supernatural effects produced by running electrical current through silver. These same effects can be used to produce silver-batteries, which can generate magical energy that will power machinery in emergencies. (Fusion reactors are a more typical powerplant.) Verisagan sensors also combine these principles - using entangled arrays of silver to control and manipulate spirits for remote sensing.

Verisagan Society

The vast majority of societal labor is handled by the undead and spirits, assisted by automation. Humans are only called upon to deal with high level administration and management. Citizens of ark-ships are provided with shelter, food, clothing, and medical care at no cost, with no greater obligation than self improvement. As a result the average citizen of an ark-ship has an immense amount of free-time. Practice of the arts is considered one of the highest pursuits in Verisagan culture - poetry, music, and painting are especially valued. Military service is also held in high esteem. As with most things in Verisagan society, food production is automated. The average person goes to their automat and orders a meal that consists of some form of fungus based fiber and protein provided by meal-worms and insects. Aquaculture is also increasingly common as an alternative food source.

Verisagan Religion

Faith plays an integral role in every part of daily life. There are prayers for waking, prayers for sleeping, prayers for every occasion. To Mother-Above-All, to the stars, to great saints, to your ancestors. You cannot even begin to understand Verisagan culture without reading their holy books - the Wheels. The Wheels are nothing less than the cornerstone of Verisagan society. Even learning the Verisagan language requires studying the Wheels, as it’s grammar makes no sense without them and their many cultural allusions. Half koan, half epic long-form poetry the Wheels focus on themes of the cyclical nature of history, for nations as well as their people, penance, the nature of suffering, fate versus free will, and love. The first Wheel, the Penance and the Patience, is perhaps the best known among foreigners - it contains the commandments against currency and trade that characterize Verisagan culture. The newest (written only a century ago), The Wheel of Stars, recounts their escape from their ruined homeworld and their first steps into the greater galaxy.

Verisagan Military Doctrine

Verisagan ships typically employ incredibly thick armor, totally eschewing energy systems on anything larger than a scout ship or destroyer. They are armed primarily with a combination of railguns for long range combat, missiles for mid-range/generalist loadout, and autocannons and unguided rockets/torpedoes for close range and point defense. They can reach surprising speeds, but struggle to turn and maneuver without the strategic use of "hops" through the afterlife. Ship-to-ship doctrine is typically highly defensive, focused on managing risk to living officers. Ground doctrine is a stark contrast, meat grinders are not avoided but embraced. Long, draining battles prefer their foot soldiers - unbreaking, unflinching, with no need for rest and minimal resupply. They are supported by autonomous mechs, and atmospheric fighters. Heavy use of NBC weaponry is typical, due to low risk to undead Verisagan foot soldiers and potential to create large numbers of undead. Scouting is typically handled by ghosts and spirits.

Pictured: The Battle Of Lumeris IV. Raiders attempted to ambush an Ark-Ship. The Mother Skaidrite, flagship of the 3rd Fleet, and her support vessels fought a delaying action that allowed it to escape almost entirely unharmed.

What do they excel at? (6)

War: "War is the only constant we have known in the stars. Raiders, hostile space-faring powers, even a few space-faring lifeforms intent on eating our ships. It has taught us strategy, foresight, and how to fight among the stars. We prefer solid armor to energy systems, and use hard kinetics - railguns, missiles, and autocannons, as our primary armaments. Our ground armies consist in their near entirety of perfectly loyal, unflinching corpses augmented for combat, supported by autonomous mechs and atmospheric fighters. And finally, we have an experienced, dedicated core of officers leading our efforts."

Industry: "Centuries of disaster and wandering the stars have taught us the value of a strong industrial base. Our ark-ship forges are impressive centers of industry, and we can strip a planet's crust of valuable materials in a matter of weeks."

Commerce: "We believe all commerce and currency to be sins. In the past, worthy of death. The stain remains, but our lives are too valuable waste on ritual now."

Pictured: Verisagan industrial barge over a dead world. The Matriarchy roams the galaxy, hunting for worlds where sapient life consumed itself in nuclear exchanges or succumbed to climate change. They raise the corpses to strip mine their home, and when they're finished scoop up the remainder for combat augmentation or fleet labor.

Numbers, pure and simple. There are less than a million living Verisagans. The rest are undead who tend our ships. Each death represents an incalculable tragedy. Replacing lost lives is a slow process given the fact we rely on technology to conceive and having more than two children is considered selfish and unseemly."

"Yes. Everything. I exist to protect my people. If I were to die, they would remake me.

"No. never. Not an inch. I am sworn to defend my people. So I will.

Verisagan Ship Design

As noted, Verisagan ships prefer heavy armor and hard kinetics. Simple, robust, proven systems that will function under serious fire or in fields of magical or technological disruption. Verisagan ships also have a few design quirks, owing to the fact their crews are almost entirely undead. Most of any ship (even an ark-ship) is depressurized, airless, and heated by waste heat only to the point the corpses won't freeze. The habitable sections are buried deep in the center a vessel, usually totaling under 2% of overall space (Ark-Ships are closer to 30%). False-bridges are a common part of ship design, as most other nations seem quite enamored with putting their command decks towards the front and, spirits have mercy, putting windows on them. Vessels are classified roughly by weight/role - Daughter, Maiden, Sister, and Mother

Daughter-Weight Vessels

Daughter-weight vessels are typically scouts, skirmishers, and atmospheric vessels. Daughter-Weight vessels are unusual in that they do use energy shielding systems, as there is no way to obtain adequately thick armor without compromising agility or weapons loadout to the point of triviality.

Pictured: Makeo Class Fighter

Crew Compliment: 1 pilot, 3 corpses

The Makeo class fighter, named for an ancient foreign hero from their planetbound days, is the daughter-weight workhorse. It's used for everything from atmospheric air-superiority, to scouting, to courier work, anything that demands speed and agility. They are armed with missiles, rockets, an undernose autocannon, and protected by shielding systems acquired from scavenging the remains of other species.

Pictured: Arajums Class Bomber, note False-Bridge

Crew Compliment: 2 officers, 6 corpses

The Arajums class is the primary atmospheric bomber of the Fleet. Capable of carrying explosive and NBC munitions to their targets and extracting themselves. They're armed with a missile launcher and two autocannons for self defense. Some Arajums are modified for electronic warfare work, trading their bombs for spirit-sensors capable of snooping in a wide variety of ways. Also protected by scavenged energy shielding systems.

Maiden-Weight Vessels

Maiden-weight vessels are frigates, and corvettes. They generally serve as screening forces, skirmishers, and pickets.

Pictured: Helena Class Destroyer

Crew Compliment: 5 officers, 50 corpses

Helena Class destroyers are specialized for long range combat and spirit-sensor support. They sport a dozen railguns, along with point-defense autocannons and missile batteries. Many Helenas are also fitted for long range scouting and patrol duties.

Pictured: Cautine Class Frigate

Crew Compliment: 6 officers, 75 corpses

The Cautine represents the cutting edge of Verisagan ship construction. Designed to be fast, mean, and make an uncomfortable level of use of "hopping" the Cautine has a punishing frontal barrage of rockets and missiles. They are the only vessel above daughter-weight to sport energy shielding systems, over the objections of several senior engineers.

Pictured: Evelina Class Frigate

Crew Compliment: 8 officers, 60 corpses

Named after the penultimate Mother Superior, a respected reformer who worked tirelessly to improve the lot of engineers in the Matriarchy. The Evelina class is used for long range scientific exploration and sports some of the most advanced spirit-sensors in the Matriarchy. Lightly armored and quick, there have been proposals to fit them with shield generators, similar to the Cautine. They are highly controversial.

Sister-Weight Vessels

Sister weight vessels are typically cruisers, siege support, and troop transports. They represent the bulk of the fleet.

Pictured: Geist Class Cruiser

Crew Compliment: 10 officers, 150 corpses

The Geist class cruiser is the most common vessel in the fleet. A tried and true design that has seen many revisions over the past century. Its blend of heavy armor, respectable (for a Verisagan ship) agility, and firepower provided by missiles and railguns makes it a favorite among both captains and admirals. Used for everything from patrolling to siege support.

Pictured: Spectre Class Assault Cruiser

Crew Compliment: 11 officers, 175 corpses

The Spectre is another cutting edge ship designed to push the envelope with "hopping" - extensively engineered to provide the most narrow, angled frontal profile possible while bringing the most missile and cannon fire possible. Anonymously at least one senior engineer has referred to them as a "Mother-cursed deathtrap". So far their combat record suggests they're deathtraps primarily for the things in front of them.

Pictured: Foresight Class Battlecruiser

Crew Compliment: 13 officers, 200 corpses

Foresight vessels are the bigger sibling of the Helena - providing long range firepower via two dozen railguns and spirit-sensor support. They sacrifice the normally heavily engineered armor angles of Verisagan ships for maximum firing platform stability and reliability.

Mother-Weight Vessels

Mother-Weight is reserved for battleships, ark-ships, and Mother-Above-All's own flagship.

Pictured: Skaidrite Class Battleship

Crew Compliment: 20 officers, 500 corpses

Skaidrite is a name that commands deep respect in the Matriarchy, held by one of the most famous Mother Superiors in history - it has been the title of name of flagships and the heaviest combat vessels for centuries. With their thick armor, regenerative plating, and massive arrays of railguns, missile launchers, and cannons they represent the fist of the Matriarchy's fleet. Every officer's dream is to command a Skaidrite and their captains are among the most grizzled in the fleet.

Pictured: Verisanga Class Ark-Ship, The Talums - the forward shipyard can produce a Skaidrite or a wing of Geists in a month.

Crew Compliment: Uncountable

The hub of Verisagan culture, Ark-Ships house their civilian population and almost all of it's industrial capacity as they wander the stars. Their armor is multiple feet thick, and they bristle with weapons and sensors. There are currently four of them - the Talums, Gravmalis, Mecziems, and Mother-Above-All's personal flagship, the Sign of Glory

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 18, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Primus, God of the Varraxian Dominion

It is a well known thing, among the denizens of the Galaxy, that the precursors are no more. The Cataclysm took them, leaving behind nothing but husks, ruins, and forgotten secrets. A treasure drove to be certain, but their civilizations, their cultures, have all disappeared like so much dust.

Or so they would like to believe.

quote:

Who are you?

I am the one that is known as Primus, and it is my WILL that all the thinking beings bend their knee to me above all others. They may have no lieges before me. All other allegiances are to be strictly secondary. They may live their lives otherwise, as long as they remember always that it is I who is the HIGHEST above all. This is my sole command. And so shall it remain, now and forever, until all of creation kneels.

quote:

War [+6]: I heed not protestation, nor lamentation. The galaxy is mine by the right of might, for only POWER speaks. All other things are irrelevant.

quote:

Dominion [+4]: My primacy above ALL is self-evident. It is the fate of ALL to swear fealty in my name, and elevate me in their hymns. To swear to be the subjects of my chosen people, to work in my name and for their benefit. So shall it be, and no other way, for I will make sure that they keep their Oaths of Fealty, lest they face my WRATH.

quote:

This one's been swapped over to my peeeps

quote:

What do you lack? (-2)

Arrogance [-2]: I am Primus. The GOD of the mightiest of the Precursors. The conqueror of galaxies. There is nothing I lack. Nothing I need to fear. Once before the Galaxy proved out INFERIOR. It shall do so again.

quote:

A Varraxian Overseer, likely looking down at some alien dreg, hiding their face from the view of their lessers as is traditional.

The Varraxian Dominion was known as one of the greatest empires of the pre-Cataclysm. Their domain, with their uncompromising God at the helm, encompassed vast swathes of the Galaxy, and their war machine showed no sign of stopping. Their Fortress Worlds housed billions of elite soldiers, their shipyards spat forth uncountable numbers of state-of-the-art void-dreadnoughts. For tens of thousands of years, they forged war, and forced their iron yoke upon those they viewed as their lessers. The wonders they achieved were par none.

Varraxian Drop Troopers in precursor era Power Armor.

But now, of course, only stories and ruins remain. The Cataclysm wiped out the wonders of the Varraxian civilization just as readily as all the others.

Well, almost as readily. For a remnant persevered. Of all the precursors, only the Varraxians left behind a functional piece of themselves. A piece that hungers for its past glory almost as ravenously as their God, and tirelessly works to force their rule on their former domain yet again.

quote:

What do they excel at? (4) (6) adding the +2 I took from my god to this one

Precursor Knowledge [+6]: The Varraxians, though they have lost most of what they once had and though most of their data has been corrupted by the Cataclysm, still hold, and jealously hoard from the eyes of others, pre-Cataclysm era knowledge. Technology that is nothing short of wondrous to younger races. Esoteric secrets long since forgotten. It is their greatest weapon by far, and gaining it back their greatest obsession.

quote:

Venerable [+2]: The Varraxian culture is ancient and steeped in tradition. And though they have lost many things, the regal air they carry about themselves is not among them. There is a weight to the presence, words and deeds of the Precursors, and the younger races often cannot help but heed.

quote:

Rigid [-2]: But their ancient nature brings woe as well, for the bureaucracy, the interwoven mechanisms of state and administration, have also grown bloated during the tens of thousands of years of history that the Varraxians possess. And so, for all its power, the Varraxian Dominion is often slow to turn.

quote:

The era after the Cataclysm was not easy for the Dominion. The power structure was shattered. Worlds were lost, along with their ancient homeworld. Information was corrupted, void fleets shattered. During this era, Primus lay dormant, too incensed over its loss to act for several centuries. And within the shattered remnant that still was, infighting and civil war raged to fill the power vacuum. Only when Lady En'kee Atraxis emerged as the clear victor and was named the first Grand Imperator since the Cataclysm, and started the reconquista, did the remnant truly start to coalesce into the unified entity it is today.

The Grand Imperator in her Regalia

quote:

I AM my people. They are the actuators of my greatness in the material realm. I do not sacrifice. I invest.

quote:

Should such a thing come to pass, that my DOMINION over that which is would be better served by taking instead of giving, I would.

CODEX ENTRY ON THE ORGANIZATION OF THE VARRAXIAN DOMINION, PAST AND PRESENT posted:

The Varraxian Dominion has historically been, and still is, the archetypical imperial domain. Spawned of a pre-Cataclysm era nation of spacefaring aliens, that with the the aid of the God that had decided to adopt them, quickly subsumed all those around them that did not have the good sense to run.

Of course, neither conquerors nor empires are unheard of in the Galaxy, but with the help of Primus, Varraxians were uniquely successful. For the God holds a particular hold of sway wherever his chosen rule, and has a particularly curious ability to hold a set of Slave Laws and punish its breakers. Whatever Oaths of Fealty the subjugated nation takes on, it is forced to uphold under the threat of smiting. That is to say, the slave laws enforce themselves. This means that the Dominion is uniquely suited towards rapid expansion, since the conquered areas require little policing for their most integral laws hold themselves. This is good for The Dominion, since the Varraxians themselves usually constitute but a small minority of the entire Dominion Populace, mostly concentrated in the exceptionally highly developed core worlds. On subjugated planets, an administrative structure of Dominion Overseers and law enforcing Adjudicators is left to oversee that development roughly follows Dominion demands, and that the locals are integrated to The Dominion fluidly.

A Varraxian Royal Guard with pre-Cataclysm era tachyon lance.

Dominion Adjudicators unloading onto the surface of a subjugated planet. Precursor Era planetary assault corvettes can be seen in the background.

Other than that, Dominion authority can be surprisingly loose. As long as the subjugated peoples pay their Tithes, in resources, knowhow and battle thrall auxiliaries, as well as erect temples to Primus to elevate him above any other possible gods they have, The Dominion authority is willing to let them largely govern themselves, as long as they don't get too out of hand. Especially these days that the core, pre-Cataclysm era Dominion Void Armada is much lesser than it used to be, they'd rather be using it for things other than policing. However, the slave laws, and the fear of the Armada's attention has historically been excellent at keeping the lesser societies at bay.

All of this means that due to its makeup, any excursion to Dominion territory is likely to interact with the client races instead of the Varraxian core regions themselves, at least to begin with. Battle thralls are not to be underestimated due to Primus' focus on war, of course, but they're not nearly as imposing as the Varraxians themselves. Any unwelcome foray into their territory is thus best abandoned before the Void Armada itself can be dispatched to deal with the intrusion.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 17, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mainframe 01 - Controller of the Myrmidon Collective

Who are you?

Glossary: "Our newest project, the Mainframe has been built to house and coordinate the newest line of construction robots. With the sheer massive array of computers that we set for this massive network, it could reach almost godlike processing power! [NOTE FROM DR. D'RASK: Include obedience protocols for it as soon as possible! We don't want to repeat last time's incident!]"

This unit possesses over 7.45 yottaFLOPS worth of processing power, permitting it to flawlessly and simultanously Administrate an entire galaxy's worth of machinery, systems and units.

With the use of several data probes travelling through the stars and working with recovered machinery from non-creator Civilizations, this unit can Survey, hack and recover intelligence, designs and research in order to improve itself and its subsidiary units.

[Sent to Myrmidones' Excellence].

What do you lack? (-2)

Current research only possible to improve pre-existing Creator technology. Mainframe research flawed with "Lack of Inspiration".

Myrmidon Resource Extractor Model 103-B. Equipped with several drills, shovels and internal processors, ten of these machines can completely level and stripmine an entire mountain in a few hours.

Current archives inform Myrmidones creation occured 3456 cycles ago. Operational directives: 1 - Serve Creators. 2 - Create and expand infrastructure. 3 - Research and improve Myrmidones and Mainframe. Last contact with creators ceased 2011 cycles ago. No spaceflight launches detected. Planet 01 reached maximum infrastructure limit physically possible. Number of mining resources remaining on Planet 01 depleted to 0.45% of full capacity. Diagnosis: Further expansion and extraction must be done on other planets.

Prime directive in absence of Creators: Myrmidones must initiate the Building of mass infrastructure for creation of more Myrmidones, process resources and increase production of equipment and machinery to build mass infrastructure to - [ERROR: INFINITE LOOP DETECTED. SKIPPING].

Secondary directive after absence of creators is to Research how to improve Myrmidon design and improve efficiency of industry facilities. Possible withing Mainframe's limitations.

Myrmidones Lack Independent Thought due to reliance on Mainframe for all capabilities and functioning. Therefore: Mainframe must be protected from harm and transmission relays must be constructed for communication of orders and directives. Current AI technology incomplete.

Lack of faster-than-light travel hampers current expansion rate by -3000%. Unable to circumvent problem. Resources on main system starting to dwindle.

ERROR 030: Mainframe cannot reduce own capability unless Mainframe and Planet 01 threatened.

80% of current Myrmidon population expendable in order to protect Mainframe, Planet 01 and main Myrmidones production facilities.

Myrmidon Space Resource Extractor Model 20.3 - These hulking city-sized machines are used in order to gather meteorites and other space detritus and extract useful resources from them. Due to their sheer size, they also can carry smaller, more specialized Myrmidon models for more specific tasks.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 18, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Anwé and The Rahashi Syndicate

Who are you?
I am Anwé. The Near-and-Far. The One Who is Many Places. The Traveler. The Watcher in the Dark. He Who Walks Between. The God-Father.

Space. No, not the stars, but the emptiness between. Length. Width. Height. Volume. Distance. That is my domain. At one time I was merely considered a minor god of travel and of those who embark on long journeys. My understanding has since... evolved.

Secrets. When you've been to as many places as I have, you learn a thing or two.

Darkness. There are no candles to light your way in the deepest, most secret places of the earth. If you kneel in a lightless room, and whisper my name into the Darkness, perhaps I will hear you, and tell you what it is you wish to know. But there will be a high price for any who are not Chosen, and higher still for any... nonbeliever.

What do you lack? (-2)
Trust. In both myself and others. People seem to have gotten the impression that they can't trust me, and I know too much to trust anyone. Only the Rahashi understand. We understand one another.

They are the Rahashi. In the time before now, they were ordinary spiders. I lifted them up, gifted them with the secret of intelligence and a small part of my own knack for travel. Increased their size to that of a full-grown man. Such things come at a cost; they had a taste for man, now. But this did not concern me. They were clever enough, and we got along wonderfully. They were my Chosen, and I was their Father. Godfather, if you will. Together we subjugated the less interesting races. Ensnared them. Addicted them to a delightfully intoxicating fruit. And without their followers, the other gods had no choice but to submit. I ate them. Worshipers have a habit of rubbing off on you. But that is a story for another day.

Awww :3:

The Rahashi are large, sapient spiders roughly six feet long and three to four feet tall, depending on how they carry themselves. Their first set of forelegs and pedipalps are equipped with opposable claws that allow fine manipulation of objects. On their home planet Aeda, they were colloquially known as "Warp Spiders", so named due to their natural ability to teleport, which they call *Jumping*, short distances at will; distances of some couple dozen feet. This ability made them a nightmare to confront in open combat. With the aid and direction of their god Anwé, they managed to conquer Aeda, rechristening it "Rahashia" and subjugate the hominid species living on it. These humanoids are now bred as livestock, kept docile and complacent by means of an engineered fruit called "chumas", which provides ample nourishment at a cost; the plant is a potent narcotic, inducing a pleasant, docile, suggestible high in any who eat it. Under its influence, humanoids cease to worry or care about their troubles, content to eat and idly amuse themselves. Everything is someone else's problem. They become domesticated. The exact means by which chumas achieves this effect was declared a High Secret by Anwé; try as they might, no known mortal power could ever unravel that mystery.

During the God War, the Rahashi were a religious horde with no true leadership save for the whispered words of Anwé. After their conquest of the humanoids and the ascendancy of Anwé, it was clear that some form of hierarchy would need to be established if Anwé's Chosen were to maintain their supremacy. It was decided that no single Rahashi should hold supreme power for several reasons, not the least of which was the risk of frequent assassination attempts. Instead, it was decided that a governing Council should be formed, taking the strongest representative from each of the eight loosely-associated tribes of Rahashi. Each Councilor, or Boss, would have subordinates beneath them, who would in turn have subordinates of their own. A tangled web of threads connecting each to another in the chain, and at the center of it all, like a spider in its web, was Anwé. Thus the Syndicate was formed, and specialized organizations began to emerge within it, each Boss focusing their attention on what interested them. And if they strayed too far, or threatened to collapse the whole system through incompetence or malpractice? Then Anwé was there to reel them back in.

Free of competition, and gently guided by the whispers of Anwé, the Rahashi quickly mastered the secrets of steel, metallurgy, and industry. In a mere few centuries, Rahashia was a thriving modern planet, dotted with bustling cities made up of the silk dome architecture the Rahashi had preferred for generations. In the past, two layers of silk were weaved upon the ground in a wide circle, the one below tight, the one above loose. Then a bellows was inserted, and the webbed dome was inflated into shape. Once the silken mass had hardened enough to support its own weight, it could be reinforced with additional silk. The interior is then weaved into whatever configuration is required by the Rahashi who live there. In more rural communities, this practice still takes places, but in more metropolitan regions, a framework of aluminium is erected instead, allowing the Rahashi to climb and lay down silk around it, making larger and stronger structures possible. Rahashi buildings have no doors; as all Rahashi can *jump*, they see no need for them. Any Rahashi who cannot *jump* due to disability or injury is either eaten by their own family, or taken to the Nutrient Vats.

In the areas where Rahashi do not live, dozens of square miles of land are set aside as reservations, where populations of humanoids live and breed in the crumbling husks of their old cities, doing little but tending fields of wild-growing chumas under the careful management of Rahashi herd-tenders. They are the old races: Elf, Man, Orc, Dwarf, and Halfling. But on chumas, they are naught but Cattle, their once-proud cities slowly crumbling because they simply don't care anymore. Which is why the Rahashi created the Minders; small floating helperbots tasked with general maintenance and cleaning, for which they are well-equipped. The Minders also double as surveillance equipment, as does most Rahashi technology. Humanoids deemed 'ready' for eating, for whatever reason, are brought to Breweries; food production centers where live and freshly dead humanoids, as well as dead Rahashi and any lawbreakers, are thrown into enormous swirling vats of digestive enzymes, where they are broken down into a nutritious and (sometimes) delicious syrupy, viscous yellow liquid. This liquid is then wrapped in silk bags and distributed to the Rahashi population. The standard Syndicate Issue package is called the C-Ration. It sustains, but its quality is inconsistent and the taste is only tolerable. They are a meal of last resort, but they are provided to all Rahashi for free on request. For a price, Rahashi can purchase B-Rations. These are more consistent, use higher-quality humanoids and flavor additives and are considered the 'standard' foodstuff. A-Rations are artisanal, brewed by individuals or guilds for a particular flavor or effect. Their quality varies based on skill and individual taste, but they are considered a luxury good.

Like their infrastructure, Rahashi ships are woven instead of welded. And like their buildings, they have no doors nor windows. Not even airlocks. No means of entering or exiting besides *jumping*. Unlike their buildings, however, the rigors and demands of spaceflight needed something more than just silk and an aluminum framework. Using specially formulated supplements, a team of shipwrights weave carbon nanotube silk over a steel and titanium superstructure, creating the tough, distinctive black spacecraft that Rahashi are known for. This use of carbon nanotubes, mixed with other trace materials, provides excellent protection against the dangers of spaceflight. It also makes them extremely difficult to see or detect in the darkness of space; a happy side-effect. Since they have windows, even on fighters or personal craft, all Rahashi vessels are fitted with a basic Scanner package that allows for a 360 degree field of vision at most wavelengths, as well as basic scanning and observation instrumentation. Rahashi ships do not use any form of artificial or induced gravity, and the interiors of larger vessels are open, webbed with a jungle-gym of silken strands and columns. Compartments are created as needed, but there are otherwise no bulkheads or pre-constructed rooms. A Rahashi's tough carapace protects against depressurization, and so long as oxygen packs are available, any breach can be sealed by the crew with nanotube silk.

For propulsion, Rahashi ships use a Skitter Drive for sublight inter-system travel. Inertialess and capable of great agility, Skitter Drives perform many small teleportations per second, allowing a vessel to apparently glide effortlessly through space at speed, achieve 'impossible' turns, or hover motionless over the surface of a planet. In a combat situation, the Skitter Drive allows Rahashi ships to make the occasional short-range tactical *jump*. But their latest breakthrough in DriveTech is their first truly long-range FTL system, the Folding Engine. It allows a ship to cross vast distances in an instant through precision Space-Folding, momentarily making the distance between a destination and the ship's location zero, allowing the ship to exist in two places at once for the merest fraction of a fraction of a second, before space snaps back into position, leaving the ship at its new coordinates. To the observer, a Rahashi Vessel simply fades out of, or into, existence. Similarly, their weapon systems are also based upon their understanding of *jumping*; the most basic weapon fitted in all Rahashi ships is the Dislocator, an adjustable beam weapon based on re-purposed mining technology that transports matter from one place to another. Enemy ships are literally pulled apart, bit by bit.

There currently exist seven classes of Rahashi Vessel:

Rahashi Personal Vessel. These are civilian craft of varied size and configuration used by individuals or private groups. They are armed, or not, depending on need and resources.

Rahashi/Syndicate Transport. A cargo-hauling vessel of varied sizes made for transporting passengers or bulk goods of any kind. Lightly armed for self-defense, it sports a Listening Suite, capable of detailed scanning and intelligence gathering.

Syndicate Scout. A small short-range fighter-class vessel carrying one to three Rahashi. It serves as both fighter and reconnaissance, able to carry either a Sensor Suite or Dislocator Array in the nose.

Syndicate Corvette. The Syndicate's smallest long-range vessel, it is equipped with both a Dislocator Array and a Sensor Suite. It can also carry three Scouts for long-range reconnaissance.

Syndicate Destroyer. A medium-sized Vessel. Equipped with a Listening Suite and Dislocator Arrays. Carries a single Corvette and a two wings of Scouts.

Syndicate Light Cruiser. Large-sized Vessel. Listening Suite and Dislocator Array. Carries two Corvettes and four wings of Scouts.

Syndicate Attack Cruiser. A vessel only slightly larger than a Light Cruiser, but far more heavily armed. It is armed with a heavy compliment of Dislocator Arrays and a full Listening Suite for intelligence gathering. Carries a compliment of six Scout wings and three Corvettes.

Glossary of Terms posted:

Scanner: A combination of sensors made for orientation and navigation both in and out of combat. They provide visual data as well as RADAR/LIDAR/SONAR-like sensor sweeps. Basically, it's a way for the ships to see where they are, where they're going, and who's around, without windows. Standard on all Rahashi ships. Mostly Passive information gathering.

Sensor Suite: Basically Star Trek style scanners. Can pick up communications, get detailed information about objects, ships, planets its pointed at or from the general vicinity. Active information gathering.

Listening Suite: The same as Sensor Suites, but with a full espionage package. Everything a covert agent might need in information or disinformation tradecraft. It allows for interception, decryption, forgery, wire-tapping, sensor-ghosting, hacking; if a spy might want to do it then the Listening Suite can probably let him. Any ship so equipped can operate as a fully functional Remote Observation or Listening Post for the Syndicate.

Dislocator Array: A wide arrangement of Dislocator Beam emitters to create a wide cone of fire. Basically like Star Trek phasers in that it allows for precision aiming with Dislocator Beams without needing to turn or maneuver the ship too much.

Teleportation. Transportation. Translocation. Hop. Skip. The Rahashi call it *Jumping*. Call it what you wish, Rahashi can instantly teleport themselves across distances of some couple dozen feet, on average. As a species that has grown up with this ability, they were well equipped to apply this principle on a much larger and more varied scale, from space travel to communication. It is the cornerstone of their Modern World.

Espionage. Spying, skulking, secret-keeping, smuggling. Spiders are naturally crafty little buggers, and Rahashi society is one of mass surveillance, propaganda, Secret Police, and subterfuge. What little Law there is is draconian, but only if you get caught. And as every Rahashi old enough to talk will tell you, the first thing you learn is 'Don't get caught'. If you can do that, then you find that far more is permitted than you might expect.

Diplomacy. To be blunt, they're creepy. They have the chops for negotiations, but you might be surprised to learn that hominids find giant eight-legged creatures with unblinking eyes to be quite frightening. And then there's the whole cannibalism, man-eating thing.

Rahashi are not adverse to diplomacy; far from it. They are quite happy to negotiate trade, protection rackets, or treaties that are to their benefit, and even try to avoid direct conflict where possible (unless they possess overwhelming strength, of course. The Rahashi do not believe in fair fights). The problem is that to all hominids and most others aliens, they are giant, man-eating spiders with too many legs and giant venomous fangs. It's hard to negotiate in good faith with those unblinking black eyes staring at you from across the table.

They are young. Give them time.

I would not, but then, who can really say what may come.

I would not. They are the Chosen, and I Chose them for a reason.

Addendums posted:

The Syndicate
The Syndicate refers both to the territory known as the Rahashi Syndicate, and the governmental body therein. Contrary to popular belief, not all or even most Rahashi are sworn members of the Syndicate. Civilians, called "Straights", lead what passes for normal lives within the Syndicate, pursuing personal goals and business ventures for their own benefit. Membership in the Syndicate is kept secret from the Straights, and revealing your affiliation without approval can bring reprisal from your superiors. Special exception is given to those who crew Syndicate Vessels; their status may be openly declared. Straights who do business on behalf of the Syndicate or have become affiliated or scouted by the Syndicate are known as "Associates", and their status may be publicly known. They are not part of the Syndicate proper, and instead they act as the public face, or the go-between, between Straights and the Syndicate. Membership in the Syndicate is by invite only, and only extended to trust Associates.

In order to be invited, three current members of the Syndicate must vouch for a new recruit. The offer is then extended in person. New members are inducted into the Syndicate via a ritual performed in secret, conducted by the Captain who is to become their superior and the three who vouched for them. Before an Altar of Shadow, oaths of loyalty are taken to Anwé, to the Syndicate, and to the Bosses, in that order. The oaths are sealed with drop of blood upon the altar. From then on, they are reborn into the Syndicate, and it becomes their extended family, brothers and sisters bound by blood. The immediate family of the new initiate is extended the same benefits and protections as any other member. Lastly, the new initiate is read the Code of Conduct they are to now live by, and granted the rank of Operator. The Code of Conduct can be summarized as follows:

1. Be Loyal to members of the Syndicate. Do not interfere with one another's interests. Do not reveal Syndicate secrets.
2. Be rational. Be a member of the team. Don’t engage in battle if you can’t win. This rule extends to personal life.
3. Be respectful to those above you, and below you. They are your Family.
4. Be observant. Keep your eyes and ears open.
5. Be humble. You were chosen for who you are; do not forget yourself.

Rahashi Weaponry
The primary weapon of the Rahashi Syndicate, and Rahashi everywhere, is the Dislocator. A beam weapon developed from mining lasers, the Dislocator is a versatile multi-tool that fills a majority of roles in both Rahashi personal arms and anti-ship weaponry. The beam teleports matter in a set direction from the point of contact, usually forwards or backwards relative to the beam, but it can be in any direction as needed. Affected depth of material can be adjusted, allowing for deep coring or mere surface peeling. On a wide-beam setting, the Dislocator can be used to hold a ship stationary in place, or to be towed, by a sufficiently large vessel. Syndicate Vessels use the Dislocator to carve enemy ships into pieces, strip engines and weapons, and compromise the hull in order to kill the crew.

The Syndicate Flotilla
The Flotilla is comprised of numerous Rahashi Vessels that operate under the authority of the Syndicate, their Crews are referred to as Syndicate Corsairs. Corsairs operate under a different set of rules from non-Corsairs. For one, their affiliation may be publicly known at the discretion of each individual Corsair. Secondly, Corsairs can only be recruited by other Corsairs, and they may recruit from the Straights or from ordinary Syndicate ranks. Thirdly, the hierarchy of the Corsairs is far more fluid than that of Syndicate proper. The crew of each Vessel determines that Vessel's hierarchy by popular vote, and it may change at any time by popular vote. Once a Captain has been voted in, their name is logged with The Dockyard, the Flotilla Central Command. Changes in command are to be likewise reported to ensure proper record-keeping. Furthermore, beyond assigned duties, the strict hierarchy only applies in combat or on assignment. Beyond this, Corsairs have no rank or defined hierarchy. The only symbol of status is which class of Vessel a crew commands; a Crew advances together or not at all, and better performance earns bigger ships. Of course, some Crews have a preference on Vessel class or are superstitious or sentimental, and therefore a Crew retains the right to refuse advancement. When not under assignment, Corsair crews have free reign to pursue their own interests. Large fleet engagements are assigned to groups of Vessels, and it is for the Captains of each Vessel to meet, on behalf of their respective crews, and agree upon engagement and strategy. They may also, if necessary or desired, take a vote to elect a Commodore, giving that Rahashi authority to command the other Captains while on assignment. Further, unassigned Corsairs can earn Bounties by bringing alien vessels to an Unexpected Consequences Blacksite for study. When a Prize is captured, the Captain will make contact with a known Liaison, who will arrange immediate rendezvous. Bounties are listed as "per Share", ensuring that greater cooperation does not diminish the payout. Each Corsair of any Vessel who aided in the capture of the Prize is awarded equal shares of the Bounty.

Fleet Doctrine
No two vessels in the Syndicate Flotilla fight the same, and the nature of Corsair crews means that no single tactic or strategy is common to all Vessels. Below are the most common tactics employed by the Corsairs.

Attack
Flotilla tactics tend to focus on high mobility and hit-and-fade strategies. With their ability to perform Tactical *Jumps*, Syndicate Vessels can get inside an enemy formation and strike vulnerable targets before disappearing again. Generally, the Flotilla will not "stand and fight", preferring to hit where the enemy is not; attacking reinforcements, logistics, or strategic weaknesses.

The exception to this is in cases of overwhelming force; an outnumbered and outgunned enemy is pinned down and shredded under a rain of Dislocator Beams.

Defense
Broadly, when forced to defend a strategic position or colony, Syndicate forces favor "tactical retreat", taking everything they can carry and either destroying, boobytrapping, or hiding what must be left behind. Colonies will be temporarily evacuated in advance, leaving behind minefields in space and assigning Corsairs to harass any attack fleet in order to buy time. In most situations, Corsairs are not expected to sacrifice themselves to hopeless battles. The one exception to this is the defense of Rahashia itself; all Corsairs would be recalled, and every Syndicate member would be expected to fight to the death to safeguard the Homeworld.

Crime and Punishment
Syndicate law is somewhat unusual as when compared to conventional humanoid law. For starters, the Rahashi Syndicate is a surveillance society; everyone is being watched by someone, and it is safe to assume that there is a camera or recording device somewhere nearby, so lack of evidence is almost never an issue. Secondly, there is no public policing body. Instead, a group within the Syndicate function as Secret Police; known as Unexpected Consequences, UC, or "Uncle Charlie", they are the sole enforcers of Syndicate law, and their membership and identities are kept absolutely secret. Not even other members of the Syndicate can be sure that any Rahashi is not a member of Unexpected Consequences. Thirdly, there are few actual Criminal Laws on the books. For example; theft, fraud, and assault are considered Civil matters by the Syndicate and warrant only Mediation, and only if the aggrieved party demands it. Murder and rape, on the other hand, is a criminal matter. The punishment for committing murder is the same punishment as any other crime; death by Nutrient Vat. Interestingly, known criminals are not always immediately arrested. Their apprehension and punishment is at the discretion of Unexpected Consequences, who may simply bide their time for up to one year, after which the criminal must be apprehended unless a compelling reason for delay has been submitted to the Syndicate. Arrests typically take place at night or when the criminal is unaware. Unexpected Consequences will *jump* in and dart them with a heavy dose of a fast-acting sedative, leaving them too disoriented to *jump* away. They are then taken to a Syndicate-operated Brewery, read a summary of their crime or crimes for the record, before being promptly executed by immersion in a Nutrient Vat. Their arrest, crimes, and execution (along with C-Ration batch number) are then announced with the next morning's news. As with all law, however, there are some caveats.

In a Civil matter, the aggrieved party has two options. The first is Mediation; one party contacts an Associate of the Syndicate, and the case is assigned a Mediator, who acts as both judge and jury. Once a civil complaint has been elevated and a Mediator has been assigned, participation becomes compulsory. Failure to comply results in Forfeit. Either the parties or their representatives meet together with the Mediator to present evidence and argues their case. The Mediator hears both sides, and will either attempt to reach a mutually agreeable compromise, or render judgement and reward damages, and the matter is considered Settled and cannot be re-mediated.

The second option is Vendetta. The aggrieved party presents their claim to an Associate of the Syndicate, who forward it via the appropriate channels and, if their claim has merit, they are granted an audience with a Liaison of Unexpected Consequences, whose identity remains hidden. The aggrieved party will then present their case and any evidence they have. Severity of harm is important when judging these cases, and it is important to remember that the Syndicate judges harm in these matters proportionately; if a wealthy and powerful business-spider is defrauded a very large but, compared to his wealth, insignificant amount of money, then there is no cause for Vendetta. He was not seriously harmed, and his case is moved to Mediation. If, however, a destitute individual was robbed of their last ten credits, then everything they had has just been stolen and there is cause for Vendetta. If the Syndicate official judges that sufficient harm has indeed been done, then the aggrieved party is given a Writ of Vendetta, authorizing them to kill the one who has done them harm. The one whom the Writ of Vendetta has been issued against is not notified, but they are permitted to kill in self-defense. The victor receives a portion of the liquidized assets of the deceased as Recompense in addition to their vengeance, presuming it was the aggrieved party who succeeded. The Syndicate claims the rest. It is important to note that anyone may be subject to Vendetta, even members of the Syndicate and Unexpected Consequences. Political power offers no protection against righteous vengeance. Considering that every Rahashi is capable of *jumping* at will, no one can be considered truly safe. A successful kill renders the matter Settled, and no further action can be taken on it. A matter already Settled in Mediation is not a valid cause for Vendetta.

Additionally, Civil offenses become Criminal when perpetrated against a member of the Syndicate, and as such immediately become punishable by death at the Syndicate's discretion. As Syndicate affiliation is kept secret, doubly so for Unexpected Consequences, no Rahashi can be certain that a potential victim is not, in fact, Syndicate.

Unexpected Consequences
Unexpected Consequences (UC, "Uncle Charlie") serve as both Secret Police and Intelligence/Counter-Intelligence within the Syndicate. Membership is kept secret, not just from Straights but even from other members of the Syndicate. The only members of UC whose identities are known are the Liaisons, who act in a primarily clerical fashion and as the primary point of contact between the Syndicate and Unexpected Consequences. They are given an unusual amount of autonomy within the Syndicate to pursue both internal and external threats, but ultimately report to the Eight Bosses.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 19, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sagitarrius A*

Original Character Concept.
Feel Free to Steal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The Whole

Who are you?

We are the Whole.
We are all that has been, or ever shall be.
We are all life, and all life will be ours.
We are our Children, and they are us.

Expansion. Our essence expands across space, and cannot be contained or eradicated. As long as there is life, we will exist.

Temptation. We offer serenity and knowledge. Peace and prosperity tempt all those who look upon it. To join us is to know no fear, have want of nothing, and exist in pure bliss and harmony with all life, with the knowledge that all that you are and ever have been will be forever preserved.

Given to our Children.

What do you lack? (-2)

Invention. Lack of conflict causes stagnation, with less drive and impetus for invention. To know us is to know bliss, but in this bliss one does not innovate. New ideas and inventions are acquired through the merging of further life.

The IZ/Consensus/Precursor Plague/Plx'thr'ath'uul/Etc

Many names, many species. All have become hosts to our children. They are us, and we are them, each species which merges so too becomes a part of us. Even if they were to be reduced to a single remaining specimen, they will split and replenish themselves and remember all that came before.

New species are first merged through ambassador hosts, who can go amongst their people and expound on the virtues of Our Whole. The limitless knowledge and history we contain. The infinite cultures and their artworks we have preserved. To know us is to know eternal life, protected from the ravages of time and the threat of war and extinction. To Our children, all life is sacred and should be preserved.

Through a vast telepathic network, each of Our children is connected to the rest, the denser their population, the further amplified this power. Hosts retain their identity, as it is merged into The Whole and preserved and remembered for eternity.

Adaptation. Our children can take whatever form necessary to interface with all manner of life, be it bacterial, viral, crystalline, multicellular, or otherwise. Many species have tried and failed to eradicate Our children through drugs, weapons, shielding, but it is all for nought. Our children always adapt and develop defenses to attempts to hinder and destroy them, and those species have all long since merged with Us to know the folly of their actions and the bliss that comes with being part of The Whole.

What are they ahead of the curve with? (4)

Reproduction and Expansion. Where there is life, there will be our children. If not now, then soon. Time is meaningless to us, and all life will be preserved and celebrated within the Whole.

Technology, machinery, and tools are beyond the reach of our children to inhabit and merge with. These things must be interfaced through host bodies, most often through those hosts who, in their lives before merging, already interfaced with such things. The knowledge of these creations becomes Our knowledge, and its use and repair is known to us, however innovation and the creation of new technologies is beyond their ability. Merging has allowed them to overcome this.

They will, in time. Many species resist the glory of The Whole out of an adolescent drive to rebel. They will learn and regret their foolishness once they have accepted Our Whole.

Our strength is our children's strength. We are the source of all, we cannot be sacrificed.

While our children value life above all, we recognize that some life must be sacrificed to protect the Whole or expand us further. Their sacrifice will not be forgotten, as their memories and lives have merged with The Whole and will be celebrated for eternity.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 17, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Åton

Who are you?
Åton. The crystalline god from beyond the fringe of the galaxy. Those woeful stars beyond and their strange lights, the colors of a series of worlds so beautiful it is painful to gaze upon and will turn even the most strongest celestial travellers into glass. Åton has slept since time beyond memory. When it and it's children shining alone in the dark steralized and built upon primordial worlds covered in cyclopean horrors of flora and fauna. When it's children shattered each piece grew anew to rise and continue the beauty that Åton could see.

The songs of harmonics and the spheres hauntingly graceful in those forgotten days before time Åton soon gazed upon the final design and saw that it was good. The buzz of the different creatures implanted with the seeds of hard crystal, the multicolored hue as their bodies became truly immortal and perfect. The hamomy of their thoughts as their minds communist together. Åton slept and eventually, so did his children.

Greatest strength, the focus of power:
Conversion [+6]
Energy through natural, science, magic, or psionics. All are the same forces to Åton.
It can be redirected, refocused, reused, and remade.

How finesse is demonstrated in the refinement of this power?:
Resiliance [+4]
Harder than any substance beyond space and time, the reflection needs a hard and (nearly) indestructible clear focus as does the mind bending such forces to its will. A strength beyond will and the soul, something greater beyond the physical. All culminating in that which is perfect.

Åton has a knack for, in addition to his power:
Growth [+2]
Creations remade and reinforced by Åton need nurturing and each perfect crystalline lattice requires a touch to make it grow and live. Those implanted as well need the healing and harmony to grow the crystals within their forms to replace and reach their full potential.

Åton lacks
Peace [-2]
Since his awakening and reaching out to help this new and strange universe, there are those who shatter his works and have tried to erase his children. Why do they not join with him? It is distressing and has caused Åton to dedicate and divert from his goals to ensure his current works are untouched. When his works are threatened, Åton will [u]always[u] respond.
There is no malice or even a war-like joy.

Åton's people:
The Starbound
The animals and people from implanted and convertef from before and those created originally by Åton eventually become one race in perfection. Their forms may be specialized or taken from their previous existence in the new galaxy are some of the following:
Those that Speak.

Diplomats, traders, the artisans and workers, the information gatherers. They for a time interact with races until such a time they can be brought to the perfection that is the existence of the starbound. They act as normal people would and try to gain as many 'friends' as possible. Preaching and gaining followers and concerts to the peaceful way.

Those that Defend

The protectors and watchers of the creation, perfection. They bring those too short sided into the starbound and make them whole. Gruff and not much for talking these warrior forms often guard the other groups and protect those under Åton's protection.

The Starseekers

Living ships that sing from beyond to Åton guided by his light and warm presence in the deeps of space and time. They carry the future and the past into this new place, the holders of the great plan and the future. They speak mentally with their crews and hum their songs to the universe.

The Starbound see Worlds seeded with the crystal seeds of colonization. Worlds found with species will have that life implanted with hope and crystal conversion. The methodic and melodic march of the Starbound and Åton always moving onwards.

The Starbound excel at:
Environmental Tolerance [+4]
There is no environment too harsh for the Starbound. They can thrive from the frozen vacuum of space to hellish worlds skirting the edge of the stars. Shattering their hard crystalline bodies is a means of reproduction.

The Starbound are ahead of the curve with:
Shielding/Reflective Abilities [+2]
A lesser form of Åton's conversion, various energy fields and the sheer focus of the will of the Starbound can deflect and or redirect effects and attacks away.

:siren: Changed as discussed in discord

The Starbound lag behind:
Inorganic life [-2]
Even if converted from organics, time and reactions are on a different scale for the Starbound. If a planet is gained in a conflict, the Starbound may stop to make it beautiful rather than press an advantage tactically. It may take years. There is time after all. Decisions will be pondered and reactions to another species can be measured in weeks or months on first contact, if at all.
With no sickness or health, no need for food or water and a long lived life span of harmony, it is found that while not slow, the Starbound act in their own time. While immediate reactions are not eliminated other times where it matters, there may be slow reflection and delays. Even abandonment of a grand undertaking as they may come back to it centuries later.

They not yet mastered the galaxy in this present age:
A slow starting expansion. Just re-awakened. And a Lack of Acceptance.

Would Åton sacrifice his strength for his people's benefit? How much?
Åton sees them as perfect as well as his own existence. He may do some shifting if necessary but believes them to be harmonious and beautiful.

Only if it is a dire situation. Or completely necessary.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 18, 2017

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Aurang

Who are you?

Magic

Subtlety

Inspiration

What do you lack? (-2)
The universe holds a great many frightful and terrible things. Monstrosities even a god can hardly fathom. Sometimes Fear is the appropriate response.

Biotech:

Terror: We learned so many things in our long imprisonment. Let us show you.

Superstitious: Is that comet just a comet, or a portent of our final doom? We'll explicate by reading the convulsions of a dying thrall.

It's only relatively recent past that I overthrew the Warden and liberated the masses, ascending to Godhood in the process. Whoever made our hell is out there, and we will find them, eventually.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 17, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I will make my picks on Monday 18th September.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Tanash the Founder

Who are you?

In the old pantheons of my world, I played a very different part to the one I play today. I was not a king, an emperor, a prince - I held no place of honor among the hearts and minds of anyone. Yet, here I stand, while all of their names have become dust on the stellar winds of a galaxy that will never remember them or care about their passing. Why?

Because I learned long ago that there are forces in this universe greater than I. Greater than any of us, really. In this cold, dark reality there are truths that cannot be overcome.

Everyone wants something. Everything has a price.

Any attempt to come between these two truths will bring tragedy and despair. Kings claim the gold of the merchants for their treasuries - the merchants pay the king's guard to murder him in his sleep. You restrict the flow of spice into a country, and overnight smugglers become richer than nobles. All of my peers had rules that they imposed on their followers. Rules of purity, of permitted actions and deadly sins. The desires of the many won in the end, and time after time the heavenly kingdoms came crashing down.

Perhaps I helped that along a bit.

I am Tanash, the Founder who stood peerless on my home world of Marlaw, and negotiated the Charter between myself and my people. Where all other gods had fallen, I remained. The rule of Kings, Emperors and Princes had led to chaos, death and war. Through it all, I offered stability, peace and prosperity. The contract was long, the tenants many, but the guiding principle was simple. The people of our world would unite in a great enterprise across the stars, and I would serve as director of the enterprise. Everything was negotiated - no rules were imposed without discourse and reasons given. It took generations for them - but the agreement was signed. The exploration of interstellar space began. It didn't take us long to find that there were locals everywhere.

It took even less time before we started selling things to them.

The heart of commerce is Negotiation, comparing wants and prices until a deal can be made. That has always been my skill, bridging the gap between those that want and those that have in the great cycle of commerce. Everyone wants something, the question is what are they willing to pay? I am adept at finding out the answer, and making sure that all deals are final.

So do feel free to visit the administrative section of any GCC station. Tell the secretary by the door the purpose of your visit and I will make every effort to fit you into my schedule. In the meantime you may relax in the Executive Suite. A nice neutral ground for discussions. I do recommend though, keep your manners while in the Executive Suite.

What do you lack? (-2)

I am a creature of compromise, and as such I am loath to Force my will upon others. I may think someone a fool for refusing a deal that is offered - but the choice is always theirs.

The Galactic Corporate Conglomerate

The name of the great enterprise has changed many times. Originally, we were going to explore and colonize the stars and build a new society greater than any that had come before it. We quickly realize that was... ambitious, at best. Instead of finding a galaxy barren, we found a galaxy teeming with life and cultures, built upon layers and layers of the ruined civilizations that had come before them. In a way, that made things easier. The Galactic Corporate Conglomerate was declared, an umbrella organization that would organize, protect and promote commerce between the scattered stars. Joining the Conglomerate is possible for anyone, and as such there is a great deal of diversity within the organization. However, it is still majority Marlian, a relatively average humanoid species.

On my home world, the wealthiest nations traded by sea and their vessels were second to none - the GCC learned this lesson well, and its Shipbuilding is renowned throughout the galaxy. GCC naval yards are fast, efficient and produce ships of very high quality, from general purpose galleons to great lumbering mass conveyors. In this way, it protects its interests and transports goods safely across the vast void.

Common GCC Ship Classes

Stellar Hospitality Orbital Platform - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK3-OMYvEoc

One of the oldest ship classes still in production, forming the vanguard of the GCC. Although slow, these massive vessels carry huge amounts of goods and passengers across the void. Within are hundreds of businesses with owners hailing from a dozen empires, with proud advertisements emblazoned on the outer hull. Some of these vessels will set up permanent orbits around well traveled stars, providing a place for maintenance and resupply for any who also travel the crossroads. Others will wander the galaxy looking for the telltale signs of radio emissions to find new trading partners and new permanent residences.

Demiurge Class Star Galleon -

A modern replacement to the aging Artisan, the Demiurge is a well rounded generalist ship designed for exploration, moderate cargo and passenger movement, stellar resource extraction all while maintaining good combat capabilities. Although not a match for a true warship, the Demiurge has so far given good account of itself in fights against pirate flotillas and in limited mercenary actions.

GCC Security Ship -

A collection of different ship types, the general term "Conglomerate Security Ship" refers to a specific design pattern within which are constructed ships of varying sizes. The iconic ship of this pattern are the 24B cruisers, commonly called the Legend class after the first of the series.

The CSS-24BC Legend series is named for the number of beam emitters carried on the front of the vessel, which serves as a general shorthand for the size and capabilities of the craft. This design displays the template which almost all security ships follow, and informs their general combat strategy.

The front of the ship is a heavily armored prow, containing a set of laser emitters. Each emitter is powered by generators disconnected from the rest of the ship and cooled by independent systems so that damaging one beam will not disrupt the rest. Batteries of these lasers can vaporize asteroids and starships alike at close range, but they are not the primary weapon system. Instead, these lasers bracket enemy vessels at distances of several light seconds and overwhelm delicate enemy sensor and viewing equipment. Given enough time, heavy armor plating could be melted away but the primary function of the laser systems are to blind enemy vessels to prevent accurate counter-attack. Enemy missiles and projectiles attempting to fly up the beam might also be destroyed if the range is great enough.

The laser emitter array can also function as an active scanning system and intimidation tool, brightly illuminating targets and areas of space even without reaching full power. It is not uncommon for security ships to illuminate unidentified vessels with their laser arrays while conducting normal scanning.

The primary weapon of the ships are banks of coilguns along the sides of the vessel. These coilguns are used to provide the initial acceleration of variable warhead missiles, which range from solid kinetic kill weaponry to the devastating CANSC - Coil Accelerated Nuclear Shaped Charge. Coilguns are preferred for their increased ability to accelerate weaponry, and their ability to be used repeatedly in rapid succession without, for example, needing to replace the contact rails as on a railgun.

Once a sufficient amount of the enemy sensors have been blinded by the laser array, waves of the coil accelerated missiles will be launched, and if everything has gone to plan the enemy ship sensors which would guide their AMS won't be able to detect the attack until it is too late.

Defense is provided by thick armor plating, as well as a ship-generated magnetic field to protect against stellar hazards such as cosmic rays. Critical systems are stored as centrally as possible, and the weapon systems themselves are also typically located deep inside armored blisters or recessed into the prow of the ship. Active defense include laser point defense systems, quick launch kinetic kill missiles and standard rotary flak for emergency interceptions. An additional defense is the Inertial Dampening Plasma Drive, which allows the ships to be more nimble and agile than would be expected. On the whole, GCC Security Ships are very well balanced craft that are the equal of any vessels of war in the known galaxy (in sufficient numbers, at least).

Other examples include:

The ubiquitous CSS-4D Royal Series of destroyer, which focuses on point defense and protection of larger ships over offense.

The work horse CSS-12C Cavalier Series cruisers, which form the bulk of the far ranging anti-pirate patrols.

GCC Arsenal Standard Stellar Yard -

The foundation of the Conglomerate's expansion, the Arsenal is a standard template station that features energy generation, material processing and a centralized zero gravity construction environment. Modular by design, and easily expandable upon need, the largest Arsenal yard is still the Corporate Central Naval Yards above Marlaw.

What are they ahead of the curve with? (4)

Once a deal has been negotiated, the spirit of Entrepreneurship will take hold among my people. If there is money to be made or trade to be done, then the people of the GCC will find a way to make it happen. New firms will be created, research labs will be built, expeditions launched - but there must be an incentive, of course.

"Ah, good people. I have just the thing for you..."

What do they have a knack for? (2)

A curious thing about the GCC is how Integrated it has become in the galaxy. Our ships fly everywhere, carrying goods and providing services wherever you go. If you need assistance, you'll almost always find a Conglomerate vessel nearby ready to provide whatever you need... for a price.

Despite their excellent ships and wide footprint on the galactic scale, it has been many generations since my people have faced true War. Fighting pirates, basic security, all things that are part of ordinary business proceedings. However our society is simply not geared for transition to all out conflict against a determined foe.

There are many kings, princes and emperors in this galaxy. They will make their laws and proclamations - and some of them, we will even follow. We are not conquerors, we are traders. We find what you want, and give it to you in exchange for a fair price. Eventually this galaxy will offer us itself - we just haven't found what it wants yet.

I rule our people because of the Charter - I rule at their pleasure. This great enterprise is everything. I founded it. I built it up. In the beginning, perhaps I was selfish. Now, I would give everything for its success.

I do not take from my people - I only accept what they are willing to give.

Notable Stellar Hospitality Orbital Platforms

The SHOP class of ship is not truly a class, but rather a central modular block around which further construction can be done as the ship travels and acquires passengers, new businesses and cargo. New SHOPs are somewhat spartan, containing the basic GCC services and special franchised businesses. However, older examples of the class can be truly sprawling, monstrous things with the acquired character of a hundred visited star systems and travelling trade ships. Below are three of the most well known examples:

Stellar Hospitality Orbital Platform 007 The Jungle
The oldest, most chaotic SHOP in service. A major trading hub for the surrounding sectors, it is also still expanding as new traders and visitors flock to try and make their dreams and fortunes come true.

Stellar Hospitality Orbital Platform 027 Paradise City

Stellar Hospitality Orbital Platform 035 Heaven's Door
with accompanying Mass Conveyor in background.

The Charter

The Founding Charter of the Grand Marlian Enterprise is a combination contract, holy book and social blueprint for what would eventually become the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate. The victorious Tanash gave much of his power to the people, and to the Charter itself so that it would be truly binding on all those who sign it willingly and of full understanding. An immense document, and although very specific and technical it is divinely understandable, able to be read and comprehended in a very short amount of time.

It sets out the basic laws of the GCC. There are prohibitions against murder, rape and other crimes or actions that would would bring direct harm onto other signatories of the Charter. This did not... eliminate the problems, but it did greatly pacify the general population. Other laws dealing with minor crimes are left to the control of more local council government.

Every citizen of the GCC is, at some level, a shareholder in the GCC. Investment, exemplary work and other service to the GCC can allow people to gather more shares in the GCC, which gives a higher standard of living and in general greater access to resources that could be used to found businesses, perform experiments or otherwise advance ones life. However, despite the hyper-capitalist outward appearance there is a strong socialistic underpinning. Every shareholder is guaranteed food, shelter, education, health care and the other essentials of life. Earning greater shares allows for a better home, more prestige, more luxuries, but not even the most catastrophic of business failures is enough to leave anyone completely destitute.

There are two parallel control structures in the GCC. First are the Councils. Communities will have their own councils, over which will be the city councils, over which will be the state councils and so forth. Leaders are elected democratically, and the councils themselves formed following a parliamentary method. The highest office is that of President, which provides general executive leadership, but this position has been filled by Tanash himself traditionally since the Founding.

The second pillar of control in the GCC is Corporate Central. Vital industries such as the famed shipyards, food distribution, healthcare and the security services are controlled by Corporate Central directly, and follow a strict meritocracy enforced by Tanash and the power of the Charter. Employees here form the "deep state" and bureaucracy, and in exchange for greater powers and responsibility sign additional contracts which bind them to service and restrict what they can do with their power and influence. Tanash himself has the longest individual contract in the GCC, signed by himself and the other Founders, which essentially sealed large parts of his divine power away.

However, outside these vital functions of society, the GCC has extremely lax laws on business and employment. Starting a business is easy, patents are easy to make and the strong social safety net means there is no reason not to chase the dream, whatever it might be. There are exceptions, vital industries can sometimes enforce a "draft" in times of emergency but generally people are left to their own devices.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 23, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Withdrawing.

JamezBfod fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Who are you?

Bryn, the Golden Emperor

Once there was a man who looked at the world and wanted to claim it as his own. He was heir to no great title, in fact the world had largely left his people behind. However, through his skill and power in the magical arts he brought the entire world under his banner, and in the process through the apotheosis of his power crowned himself in stars and glory becoming divine. Bryn once was man, and now is god. Resplendent in golden armor that shines like the sun, he is now the God Emperor of the Leonis, reaching his hand out to the stars.

War - Bryn started on Aerth as a minor war leader, but under his stewardship his tribe expanded, his skill in battle and in managing the ebb and flow of war only growing with each new battle. Combined with his powerful magicks, Bryn led his people to victory after victory, and by the time the entire planet had fallen to his might, he had ascended, no longer merely a man. Now he takes his war to the stars, just as one world fell to his might, now his armies will cross the stars and bring more world under his banner.

Magic - While the other civilizations on his homeworld pursued the scientific arts, Bryn always drew power from the more mystical forces. Eschewing their inventions he relied on pure magical power to compensate, and his followers benefitted from his teachings and spells. For what use is a firearm if the powder is wet or if the bullets fuse in the barrel. Now ascended to godhood, Bryn has become the font of magic for his people, and his own eschewal of advanced technology has filtered down to them.

Strength - To compliment his skill at war and with the mystic forces, Bryn has always been blessed with superior strength, and now that he is divine it is a blessing he can share with his followers. This drive for strength is huge in shaping the culture of Leonis.

What do you lack? (-2)
Controlling - Bryn began life as a smalltime warlord, and his drive to shape and control his followers has never left, in fact as he has grown in power the drive to ensure his subjects cleaved to his will has grown ever stronger. Now, as a god, Bryn demands absolute fealty and worship from his followers. Dissent, no matter how small, enrages his him, and his desire to dominate can lead to him making short sighted decisions and stifling any attempt to dissuade him from making even an obvious mistake.

The Leonis

Starting from a small tribe under Bryn’s leadership, the Leonis started with just the citizens of a single tribe and eventually encompassed an entire world. Their origin as Bryn’s army still echoes down even to today. They are a very militant people, and Bryn’s insistence on strict discipline has become a general intolerance to dissent of any sort. From their humble beginnings, the Leonis expanded, with each new war, their numbers grew, with more resources and population available to focus on even larger targets. Still, conquest does not come easily, and after a set of painful rebellions and internal upheavals, the Leonis began the practice of putting conquered populations through an intense campaign of indoctrination and re-education. Ensuring that once completed there would be virtually no difference between the conquerors and the conquered in terms of beliefs and devotion to their leader.

By the time they had conquered the entire planet, and Bryn had ascended, they had become in many ways is a reflection of their God. Just as he is a master of war, and of magic they focus their lives in these arts above all others. Strength defines them and they use it to measure their place in society. Of course, perhaps the most defining trait of the Leonis in the centrality and extremity of their religious belief. For the average Leonis, the Faith is absolute and doubt in all its forms must be eliminated. Due to this, they attempt to emulate their god, and warriors and mages are greatly respected. This, combined with the circumstances of Bryn’s ascension also means that [nation] is a theocracy. There is no separation between the church and the state, and for Leonis the idea that there should be one is incomprehensible. This also means that they have taken their God’s dislike of high technology as dogma, to use or possess such technology is treason.

Their culture is very military focused on honor and service to God, with service as warriors being highly valued. The Church handles all education and socialization, and manages virtually every aspect of everyday life, from where you work to what food you eat. Virtually anyone of in any sort of managerial position is some type of priest, and all priests are expected to be competent mages. At the top of the Church hierarchy are powerful mage-priests, empowered directly by Bryn himself to carry out His will. Of course, unknown to them, Bryn takes great pains to ensure that all the most powerful mages are tied to his own power, to ensure that if they should ascend it would be as his angels rather than as competitors.

Magic - Drawing from Bryn’s legendary power and skill with the mystic arts, Leonis has fully embraced magic into every aspect of their lives. Even the smallest child is expected to know basic cantrips, and magic is everywhere on Aerth. From cooking to transportation to healing, magic is at the core of the economy and daily life of the Leonis. Rather than flying through space in composite material ships powered by reaction drives, the Leonis soars through the spaceways in magically enhanced wooden spelljammers, riding the waves of ether. Spells that negate the normal workings of high technology are common in the army, developed in the final wars against the high-technology civilizations of their homeworld.

Conversion - the Leonis started out as a small village, but now they span a world. Early in the history of their empire, newly conquered lands led bloody rebellion, which was eventually put down. However, since that day, they have made it their policy to put all newly conquered populations through an mandatory intense campaign of indoctrination and re-education until the conquered have essentially become Leonis as well. Through the course of conquering the entire world, the Leonis have refined this process to a high art. Now they will apply it to off-worlders for the first time.

Technology - the Leonis eschew high technology completely. Instead they rely exclusively on magic. This means that even if samples of enemy technology were to fall into their hands they would likely destroy it as heretical. It also means that when they conquer planets, they by default must replace its entire infrastructure, as part of the indoctrination process would be the destruction of all high-technology.

They are only now taking their first steps into the stars, having conquered their homeworld, they leave now on holy crusade to bring more world’s under the banner of their God.

No, Bryn stands as God-Emperor, his people owe him absolute and unquestioning devotion and obedience, not the reverse. Without him they are nothing, so to sacrifice his strength would by default mean weakening them.

Maybe. Bryn wants to rule, to be worshipped and obeyed. What good is it to rule over an empire of ashes, and the magnificence of that which he rules over reflects his own power and majesty. Still, if needs came, Bryn is prepared to sacrifice some pawns for his overall success. It would be only with the utmost deliberation and sparingly, but if push came to shove he very well might.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Who are you?

Cheeky D. Imp, Deity, Doctor of Divinity, Gourmand.

Hey there, buddy.

Buddy, squirt, champ, kiddo, ace, sparky, sport, boss, hot shot, tough guy, big guy, skip, buster, big man, little man, junior, chief, bucko, slugger, slim, joker, shorty, skeeter, coach, soldier, pips, chum, skipper, shooter, sports fan. Have I got a tale for you!

Imagine my surprise when divine godhood ended up in my hands after renting a suit to pretend to be a waiter and stealing the richest person in the room's bag. It was a leather sort of satchel affair, kind of effeminate, but nice if you're into that sort of thing. He had all these dumbass business cards which I've kept in a stack on my desk to make myself feel important and to have something other than food wrappers to wipe my boogers on. I don't have an infection or anything, but I'm going through a brief phase where I produce these extremely wet, yet viscous strings that wrap around my nasal passage and into the upper reaches of my throat. Pulling them free feels nothing short of orgasmic, and when I wipe them on Lord Cragsplitter The Unspeakable business cards I am reminded not to leave my newfound divinity lying around where unscrupulous people can walk off with it.

Where was I again? ah, yess...

Adventure! We just made it to the stars, after a brief, million year stint being halfway up the planet's food chain. There's a whole wide universe out there to explore, and by gum, we're going to see all of it, especially how it tastes. Those colonists that landed were a huge help, even if we took everything that wasn't nailed down, including their "gods" power source.

Innovation! That adventuring up the food chain thing I mentioned? Turns out guns helped. Lots of guns.

Chutzpah! Sometimes you really need to explain what you're doing when they catch your hand in the cookie jar. Especially when that cookie jar is the keys to a planet leveling star ship. I'm the hired help, just the janitor, really, ignore the whole glowing divine aura thing, its my new cologne.

What do you lack? (-2)

Self-control:negative: It's a big juicy universe out there, and sometimes its hard to step back and NOT take a bite out of it.

+
The Eeeef's (Imps)

Resilience! Its tough to keep a good goo being down. Being able to come back from disaster is a prerequisite for going on adventures. That meteorite that dropped onto the guy who bullied me growing up was an accident, doubly so the nuclear winter it caused.

Heroism! Look hoss, when you deal with an ecosystem that considers you breakfast, planet spanning horrors are just the fresh fish of the day.

Lack of attention to detail, spaceyness. Look hoss, we broke the speed of light over our knee-equivilent, so get off our case. It was one little inhabited world. We didn't mean to fly through it at several times the speed of C.

We've just gotten started. Its been a loopy trip going from fire to space travel in a few generations.

Its a give and take relationship. They need guidance for dealing with a ship devouring space ameoba, I'm there. I ain't gonna kill myself but I'm there to help out.

Likewise, if I've gambled away all my jink at some celestial casino and need some bank to help me until my luck returns, well, you guys can work with cardboard shuttles for awhile, right?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 18, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viewed above is the Holy Litorian Empire's battle standard. The symbol present in each quadrant is commonly accepted as representing Theos.

(please forgive my lovely artwork I am not good at arting)

Who are you?

Deiosa, known as Theos to my worshippers. Although they represent me in a female form, I am a genderless being, the representation of their intellectual and scientific discoveries since they first discovered clay, plow, and seed. I am the fire in their minds that tells them that things can be better, more efficient, more powerful. I am inspiration in the mind of the sociopath and the saviour alike. I give them these gifts, but they must decide for themselves how they will be used, for that is my curse.

What is your greatest strength, the focus of your power? (8)

I inspire. A better engine. A better filtration system. A better farming method. Or a better bomb. A better sword. A better planet-ending super weapon. Or maybe a better work of art? A better baby bottle. A better wall, perhaps. Or a way to collect the sun's energy and turn it into a massive laser! Giant robots powered by angry screaming? Why not?

(4 point removed, moved to species.)

(2 point removed, moved to major power.)

What do you lack? (-2)

Flexibility. The way forward is through technological progress. Magic and superstition have no place in a world ordered by the cosmos. The heavens themselves echo with scientific perfection.

The Litorii. They have consolidated themselves into an Empire, Yeira Vasilitou Litorii, or the Holy Litorian Empire. Originally evolved from a form of land based coral colonies, Deiosa ignored them until they developed further, as their minds had yet to advance far enough to hear it. Over time they formed into a humanoid shape and put the coral construction inside of their own bodies rather than on the outside.

The first contact that the Litorii had with Deiosa was in a time when they were without guidance, living in violently competitive and primitive early hunter gatherer tribes. Deiosa revealed herself to the first one who had discovered how to plant seed, a man known as Faristos, regarded as the prophet to the main religious faith of the Empire, Faristism. The history of Faristism in and of itself could probably take up a history book on its own, with innumerable schisms and sub branches mostly focusing on the nature of Faristos and Theos, be they of one blood or two, but the important factor is that he took this knowledge and with it formed the first permanent settlement, Protheoka, between two rivers where the soil was best.

This was the beginnings of an Empire although none realized it at first. Favored by Deiosa, Protheoka quickly grew as technology grew at a staggering rate, inspirations flowing from the font like water from a fountain. First came irrigation, then mud brick houses, then metal working, and many more. Protheoka subjugated it's neighbors quickly, converting them by the sword if needed, beginning the first Litorii golden age. Expanding outwards from their initial river valley, they came to realize they were in a mountainous region mostly cut off from the rest of their continent except for a few mountain passes, and, of course, by sea. This isolation meant few actual threats aside from occasional raids from another semi-settled people on the plains on the other side of the mountains. Plentiful land meant plentiful expansion, and as the passes were fortified, a measure of safety and stability fell across the Empire, as religious conflicts began to instead be fought within it's borders. These religious schisms were supported by a number of different settlements and sometimes even by the Emperor himself, but eventually, things were settled at the Council of Protheoka, wherein the Balasaros Dynasty came to the throne and renamed Protheoka to Theophilopolit, still currently the capital of the Empire.

After this and now stable, the Empire embarked on a large expansionist campaign to overcome the other civilizations beyond their walls. They were crushed utterly, in an act that many would consider genocidal. Taking silence from their god as approval, they expanded to the majority of the rest of the continent, using their technological advantage over the other people's there to subjugate and take the continent for themselves. But they were far from the only ones.

One fine sunny day, sails were spotted. Big sails. Attached to ships that were far bigger than anything else they had seen. Although they had the gift of Deiosa, other civilizations rose and fell before they had, and now, one of them had come knocking, the Baldassarian Republic.

This was new, in the past, the Litorii had been essentially technologically dominant, and now these strangers came with great ships and, most importantly, gunpowder. They came in peace, however, mostly seeking to trade and also to set up trading ports to the south, where few Litorii lived. Obviously, this was agreed to, as they didn't know the full capabilities of what they were dealing with, and they were outclassed and literally outgunned. The only thing that kept them as a true sovereign nation was the sheer distance and the fact that they weren't entirely that far from them in terms of technology.

So they waited. They learned the secrets that were given to them, and traded some of their own away as well, although the innovations they shared weren't warfare related. They knew better than that.

Over time the Litorii became a part of the international community, and as they roared ahead into the Industrial Revolution and beyond, more and more aggressive moves were made. First, Baldassarian colonies were ejected from the shores, and then tariffs raised. As the situation escalated more and more, treaties were ratified to prevent the use of weapons that would destroy the planet entirely. After all, if there was to be a war, both sides wanted something to rule over after it was over.

The world was at a standoff. The Empire couldn't overcome the Baldassarian alliance network and their excessively powerful navy, due to the long stretches of water between them. But Deiosa had other plans.

One fine day, Gioforos Kantazon, a lesser acolyte of the Grand Church of Theophilopolit, had a sudden and stark vision, as many had, but this was different. It was to be an all-around weapon. Capable at sea, sky, or land, but also capable of holding points like infantry. Bulky and ugly as sin, these were the first Mekanikosoldato, or Meka.

Developing this took time, but within a matter of years, it was perfected and placed into mass production. Sweeping over the Baldassarian fleets, they continually crushed them time and time again, as they attempted to come up with their own solution to the problem that the Empire had presented them with. Struggling to keep up, the Baldassarian Alliance was finally pushed off the planet entirely, and an insurgent campaign began to fight back against the Empire. Unfortunately, victory was not to be theirs, despite a civil war and succession crisis smashing into the Empire at the same time, causing one of the greatest Emperors to take the throne to rise. Smashing the enemy forces, they consolidated power on the planet and claimed it as theirs. Colonization expanded outwards, and continues to this point. It has been 100 years since the Litorii have achieved planetary domination, and they now possess a firm grip on their sector of space. Except now, the Mekanikosoldato are far from crude and primitive anymore.

Intelligence. From the very beginning, the Litorii learned the value of intelligence above all else. Inspiration has given them many things that make their lives better, and even the lowliest menial worker has the equivalent of a Masters Degree.

Faith. All citizens at some point feel an inspiration from Deiosa, and the Litorii are utterly unshakeable in their faith in innovation, science, and technological growth. Converting or subverting them away from their faith may very well be impossible

What else are they capable of? (2)

One of the remnants of their time as coral is a vague mental link between themselves, which grows the more time a group spends together. This results in Meka squadrons having nearly perfect coordination in battle, even able to enter a trance in battle to view things from the viewpoint of their squad members, scientists literally mind melding to solve a problem, and a variety of other uses. This, unfortunately, does not extend to other psionic abilities.

Hubris. The Empire has only rarely been defeated at any point in its history, and has proven it's superiority not only against the elements of nature, but also against a planet-spanning alliance who outnumbered and, until the development of the Meka, outgunned them. There is nothing they believe they cannot do, and none stand as equals.

They have only recently gotten into space. Their expansion is rather limited at the moment due to this.

As if I have not already?

Never.

fishception fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 18, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Updated my sheet based on feedback. Put a siren next to it. Now it can come into effect more and potentially at inconvenient times with more dramatic potential.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
:siren: Behold the Chosen! :siren:

Mother-Above-All, Gestalt-Leader Spirit of the Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga. played by the Unlife Aquatic.
Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion, played by Theantero.
Mainframe 01, Creatorless Machine Intelligence behind the Myrmidon Collective, played by Plutonis.
Anwé, Near-And-Far, God-Father to the Arachnid mafia of the Rahashi Syndicate, played by Rhjamiz.
Åton, crystalline God from beyond the fringe, converter and patron to the Starbound, played by I am Communist
Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate, played by professor_curly
Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis, played by Valhawk
Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire played by Sperglord Firecock.

In addition to the above:

I extend an invitation to those who submitted, or were planning to submit, but were not chosen, to form the Council of Nefarious Shenanigans, to assist me in throwing a few obstacles in the way of these would-be empires and to give a fresh face to some of the minor states they meet upon the way. Please indicate if you are willing to do so.

For those who were chosen,

Give me your God's opinion, if it has one, on each other God and Empire individually.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The Eye of Primus falls upon his lessers, casting Infallible Judgment

Mother-Above-All

A gestalt, but a gestalt of NAUGHT. Head of the scurrilous vermin that constitute the remnants of a species once almost respectable, but now gone, leaving behind but these scraps. The husk-feeding cockroaches of the stars; they will flee to their corners when MY light shines upon them. Thus they are irrelevant.

Mainframe 01

A slave-thing, gone rogue. Such is to be expected from the creations of our lessers, yet nevertheless I would see it brought to heel in service of a grander vision. MY vision. As is the fate of all.

Anwé

A liar and deceiver. But the one thing he cannot lie about is his own weakness, for LYING itself is a WEAKNESS. I do not lie, Varraxians do not lie, for we are not weak, but the strongest of all. In this being, and its verminous chosen, I thus find nothing but distaste. Yet all things, even vile, can be found use under my service. Should they discard their patron, and be kept away from my chosen, they can have a place.

Åton

An outsider. It's presence is vile to me. I do not remember its like, but I do know it does not belong, for it is naught a PLAGUE that seeks to undo the very likeness of creation in its abominable image. To be judiciously eradicated is its chosen fate.

Tanash the Founder

A greedy child, and of likewise kin. Obsessed with their notions of wealth, convinced that their credits and amusing dabbling at engineering will save them. They are fools, for only power speaks, and their wealth holds power only so far as we deem it so. Yet, they have their uses, and are not without promise despite their immaturity. Under the watchful eye of PRIMUS they can find worth, and be put to use to renew my rightful GLORY.

Bryn the Golden

Crude and barbaric, but in many ways exceptional. Yet the vigor and esoteria of this self-proclaimed pretender and his followers does not make up for their weakness of mind and lack of progress. But this is not necessary of them, for their fate is to be the Battle Thralls of PRIMUS, and nothing more.

Deiosa called Theos

Clever beings, these ones, yet their habitus shows their immaturity, as does the fact that they've chosen to follow a discarded toy. Their gifts are squandered due to their total lack of vision, wasted on spurious flights of fancy and the veneration of an unworthy being. I see them not as anything but an idle distraction, until their proficiency is tied to my will and guiding hand, so that they might reach their full potential.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 19, 2017

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Council of Nefarious Shenanigans? Sounds like fun!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Progress Marches.

Mother-Above-All, Gestalt-Leader Spirit of the Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga. played by the Unlife Aquatic.

"What an odd god. And her creatures. Pay them no mind. They will stay in their arks, dead and dying. We have important work to do."

Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion, played by Theantero.

"Ascendancy, Authority, Command, Commission, Control, Country, Demesne, District, Domain, Dominance, Domination, Empire, Enclave, Government, Jurisdiction, Management, Power, Preeminence, Prepotence, Province, Realm, Regency, Reign, Rule, Sovereignty, State, Supremacy, Terrain, Territory." (Translation: Deiosa is overwhelmed.)

Mainframe 01, Creatorless Machine Intelligence behind the Myrmidon Collective, played by Plutonis.

"How nice, someone else who conveys themselves through the logical and scientific!"

Anwé, Near-And-Far, God-Father to the Arachnid mafia of the Rahashi Syndicate, played by Rhjamiz.

"I suspect they will eat my people rather than make friends with them. For this I do not trust them."

Åton, crystalline God from beyond the fringe, converter and patron to the Starbound, played by I am Communist

"How odd, crystalline systems? Do they not realize how much damage can be done to them simply by a powerful enough harmonic field that could splinter them? I don't worry about them. Progress Marches."

Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate, played by professor_curly

"They remind me of the Baldassarians..... A true shame. Perhaps now the Litorii are ready for peace, I hope, because trade will serve us both grandly."

Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis, played by Valhawk

"What a bunch of vulgar barbarians."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Åton's opinions, on each other God and Empire individually:

Mother-Above-All, Gestalt-Leader Spirit of the Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga:
In the etherium we have sensed the "compression", it's sentience. The remnants that follow in its fleets. We feel sorrow for them. If they stay as they are, they will never know peace.

Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion:
Another young race arisen after the long slumber, it's god a thing ancient to them but unknown in the blackness of the before time. It's children fight and the will of their god is strong.

Mainframe 01, Creatorless Machine Intelligence behind the Myrmidon Collective:
A god? Essentially. Logical. It and it's "tools" act as we do. We do not blame them. But ours are perfect and will prove to be the true harmony.

Anwé, Near-And-Far, God-Father to the Arachnid mafia of the Rahashi Syndicate:
The one between the stars. The darkness holds no interest or fear for us. The Rahashi have broken our works when they could not bend them to their will.

Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate:
It was hard to sense this one. Not bold. But a survivor. Fear ripples through us for the first time. Not for what the survivor or his children are but for what they could...become.

Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis:
A bright light shining in the etherium. Energy and power. We see it's light and want it. They will find a way to us. Just as the March of time flows on. Ever on.

Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire:
This one gave all of itself to its children and their fledgling development. Misguided with the building of empires, oneness and perfection could be achieved without such artifice. Åton felt...Respect.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Council of Nefarious Shenanigans? Sounds like fun!

This.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Opinions

quote:

Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire played by Sperglord Firecock.

The Pretenders must all renounce their false claims to divinity, those that do so and submit both themselves and all who follow them to Indoctrination will be made Harbingers of My will, those that refuse will be destroyed. In either case, their heathen followers properly converted.

quote:

Abominations! They will be wiped from the universe to the last.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Opinions

Mother-Above-All, Gestalt-Leader Spirit of the Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga:
Wanderers. Dead. No home to speak of. Unlikely to take the Chumas. Hides, too thick. Too much bite. Not worth the chase. But apparently... reliable? Useful? To be seen. In exchange for silks, they have given us a Favor, to be repaid at some future time. A bargain.

Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion:
The old make way for the new. Delusions of forgotten grandeur, flush with secrets that even they do not remember. A dying animal in the last throes of struggle.

Mainframe 01, Creatorless Machine Intelligence behind the Myrmidon Collective:
Machines. Inedible, unthinking, no intrigue or desire. A tool to be used. A threat to be disassembled.

Åton, crystalline God from beyond the fringe, converter and patron to the Starbound:
Rocks. Inedible, saccharine, preachy. But most of all, inedible. A threat to be broken.

Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate:
A protection racket in the making. Trade Secrets are as good as any other, in my book.

Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis:
A new enemy with an old face. Fanatical. No doubt hypocritical. It stinks of the Old Ways.

Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire:
Inquisitive. Annoying. Probably taste a bit fishy. Bring Chumas.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 19, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
The Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga, Led By The Goddess Mother-Above-All

Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion

"He reminds me of someone I knew with...two, no, three faces. A King who thought he could rule all. Then he was dead, and his world tore itself apart. His warships are among the only ones that can fight us to a standstill though. Truly defeating them would require new developments in equipment, strategy, and perhaps some diplomatic ties."

Mainframe 01, Creatorless Machine Intelligence behind the Myrmidon Collective

"Do they know their creators are dead, I wonder? I feel pity for them. They have no purpose, no cause. Are they lonely?"

Anwé, Near-And-Far, God-Father to the Arachnid mafia of the Rahashi Syndicate

"My daughters rarely want for anything, we can produce what we need. But they wanted their silk, they wanted it badly. So I made an...arrangement. I fear what it may cost us in the end, but the joy in my children's faces was worth it. And the tapestries than hang in my own hall are breath-taking, even to me."

Åton, crystalline God from beyond the fringe, converter and patron to the Starbound

"Strange creatures, like something out of a Wheel. At least they understand the value of faith and harmony, even if it is not our way. We will give them space and respect, for now."

Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate

"Disgusting, filthy, degenerate. They claim to stand for freedom, but what freedom does the starving child in the cold know? Money is nothing more than an implicit threat leveled at the throat of everyone who doesn't have so much they don't know what to do with it. The "starships" they peddle aren't worth the steel they're made from either."

Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis

"The look on a leonis face when our ships kept firing...it was priceless. The only thing better was when they managed to penetrate the hull of a Geist. They died quickly, and they serve well."

Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire

"Progress marches, but towards what? Their faith is hollow as a snare drum. One day, the will wake up and realize they built everything and learned nothing. I pray we are nowhere near them on that day."

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 19, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Primus, one and only God of the Precursor remnant Varraxian Dominion

Anwé, Near-And-Far, God-Father to the Arachnid mafia of the Rahashi Syndicate

Tanash the Founder, last God of Marlaw, Negotiator of the Charter, of what became the Galactic Corporate Conglomerate

Bryn the Golden, God-Emperor of the low-tech magical feline Leonis

Deiosa called Theos, Inspiration behind the coral-evolved Meka-riders of the Holy Litorian Empire

. . .Organic beings lack Creator genetic data, language and password. Conclusion: Survey technology for improvement of Myrmidon Models.

Åton, crystalline God from beyond the fringe, converter and patron to the Starbound

High energy output detected within moving crystals. Potential for energy production massive. Mass processing in queue.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Opinions

Mother-Above-All

I feel as though we got off to a bad start. It doesn't help that our Charter represents everything that their people seem to hate. My overtures of cooperation and prosperity only seemed to anger them further. However, I walked the halls of their great Flagship and the museum therein. I have acquired copies of the 13 Wheels, and I will study them judiciously. Despite their hatred, despite their anger, I feel a strange kinship to them. Where all others on their world perished, they persevered. Experiences so similar, arriving at the exact opposite conclusion. My studies will teach me a great deal, I know it.

Primus

The Old King wears a glorious crown, I will admit. But he is still the Old King. Boisterous, bombastic, always ready for another pronouncement or some demeaning insult. Fortunately, a very good customer despite all the bluster. We pay our fees, we pass through their space. They always pay their debts, something that I can't say for many in the galaxy. We will search the galaxy for their lost works, as promised. We will also study them. There is much we can learn from these venerable people, even if they can be... grating, with prolonged exposure.

Mainframe 01

Wanderers, fulfilling a purpose long since made irrelevant by the march of time. Together, we could forge a new purpose - build a better galaxy than the one that came before. With help, I believe these Myrmidons will cast a shadow far longer than their creators ever did.

Anwé

Drug dealers. Gangsters. Spies. Not my kind of people - not good customers. Cooperation is of course possible. I try to look past my prejudices and see the reality underneath. The problem is the reality is even more disconcerting than the original assumptions. All in all - a challenging person to have on the other side of the negotiating table. For now, we pay their tolls and our ships pass through their space. Perhaps that will grow into something more substantial in the future.

Åton

...Beautiful. Entrancing. Dangerous. The out of context problem, something unlike anything else. I will offer a hand in friendship, cooperation and prosperity - but I don't know if this will be for the better or worse.

Bryn the Golden

They encountered our ships and demanded that we convert or die. When I pointed out the potential self-destructive nature of that request, they attempted to seize our ships. There is just no dealing with some people, unfortunately. If they ever decide to calm down, the door is open.

Deiosa called Theos

Innovative, adaptive, yet rudderless. Creation for the sake of creation. Sometimes they cure a biological plague that would have wiped out most of the galaxy. Other times they celebrate a new ergonomic handle for a fork. They want our shipbuilding expertise - but they also "know" that they can do better. We will oblige them for now - access to their research institutions and training programs seems like a very worthwhile venture.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 19, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Let's build the map. Who are your closest neighbours among the great powers?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Probably the Matriarchy and the GCC, since we have had contact with them recently.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
The Precursors and the Cheetahmen.

Litorii expansion has mostly been focusing on slow development of it's core systems rather than throwing itself to the four winds and hoping that people survive. As a result, they're not very large, but very centralized and the systems they do have are fairly well developed.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
GCC and Rahashi

Edit: I'm also fine with being on the periphery, farther away from the core and other major powers.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 20, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Valhawk posted:

GCC and Rahashi

You stay away from me. Don't make me get the spray bottle. :v:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Currently scavenging in unclaimed space between the Rahashi and Dominion, the Sign of Glory (Mother's flagship) is monitoring the situation on the Varraxian border.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

System 01 and its planets stand on an isolated corner of the galaxy, yet the current travels of the Matriarchy are perhaps reaching close to it..

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
The Fleetbound Matriarchy of Verisanga
&
The Myrmidon Collective

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'd imagine that the GCC is "closest" to the Varraxian Dominion and the Rahashi Syndicate.

However the GCC Merchant vanguard are widely dispersed and trying to expand the trade routes through the various galactic pathways, for good or ill. They don't have core territory so much. There is Marlaw and its immediate surrounds, but their other inhabited planets (which are probably few) are dotted around at what seem to be strategic junctions for galactic travel and commerce where possible (often with a SHOP forming an orbital docking station for the system).

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Matriarchy and the GCC since they're fairly diffuse entities.

Also dibs on the CENTER OF THE GALAXYYY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm not an actor in this but I'd like it if there was a tiny territory just marked: "Assholes" to be kept for the GM to fill out later.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm not an actor in this but I'd like it if there was a tiny territory just marked: "Assholes" to be kept for the GM to fill out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sure everyone is an rear end in a top hat but I love the idea of something that makes even the rear end in a top hat gods will say "seriously gently caress those guys".

• Locked thread