Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It has been 0 days since this thread expressed confusion that a slice-of-life comic has no plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm fine with Sleepless Domain chat tbh. When a comic isn't catching the attention of the thread it's just a wasteland.

I know I'm saying this while not posting anything but I'll find something when I'm not phone posting I promise.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Tenebrais posted:

With apologies to those who don't like Sleepless Domain chat, HP finally pops the question.

I binged Sleepless Domain thanks to this thread and after only one day I am extremely invested.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can 'Smoothful Moves' be HP's new canon name now?

So in non-SD chat, what are people thinking of the new Destroy History storyline?

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Jeph's setting is weirdly mundane for being post-singularity.

From the very beginning, QC's setting has had talking robots and superheroes delivering pizzas. There's always been supernatural elements to the story that the main characters completely ignore because 1) it's normal to them and 2) they're way more preoccupied with their dating lives. It's like how cyberpunk and steampunk are about how technological changes won't save us from fundamental forces of capitalist/imperialist oppression, only instead of "punk" it's "meet-cute." It's a cybermeet-cute, where no amount of new technology will change how a hipster in a coffee shop talks about bands with the coworker he wants to gently caress.

As to Sleepless Domain, once again, the story really underscores that Magical Girls should be a much more organized force so that a girl having an emotional time doesn't run away from her unit and promptly get killed. Like, the civilian world is so obsessed with not acknowledging that MGs are child soldiers that they're putting them into incredible danger that could be avoided if they just admitted "Child soldiers are bad, but that's what they are and we're dependent on them." Stop trying to pretend this is just a fun celebrity thing and face up to the fact that these kids are thrown into life-and-death violent struggles every night.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

It has been 0 days since this thread expressed confusion that a slice-of-life comic has no plot.

It’s not that it’s slice of life. It’s that the ‘post-singularity’ claim is both silly and untrue on its face, and reflects a really shallow way of thinking about that idea.

Plus Jacques himself kept doing non slice-of-life storylines, which were bad. If he didn’t intend to have a Gibsonian conflict with an underground robot fight club proprietor who has the access key to a character’s potentially traumatic memories of black ops warfare, he could simply not have written that plot line. But he did and then it was incredibly unfulfilling.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The presence of sapient machines and robots is a cultural blood debt owed to Megatokyo permanently changing the face of early webcomics.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Joe Slowboat posted:

It’s not that it’s slice of life. It’s that the ‘post-singularity’ claim is both silly and untrue on its face, and reflects a really shallow way of thinking about that idea.

Plus Jacques himself kept doing non slice-of-life storylines, which were bad. If he didn’t intend to have a Gibsonian conflict with an underground robot fight club proprietor who has the access key to a character’s potentially traumatic memories of black ops warfare, he could simply not have written that plot line. But he did and then it was incredibly unfulfilling.

That, and he continuously tries to slam ham-fisted political allegories in, and botches them badly.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Whoever recommended The Sword Interval over in the GC thread, I fuckin' hate you because I'd forgotten how good it is and now I have to wait for updates like the rest of you jerks :argh:

In other news, a comic that I've been enjoying the past while is Lil' Char and the Gang. There's not a whole lot to it—it's kids who happen to be pokemon having pokemon-themed kid adventures—but it's pretty darn charming and enjoyable. Plus it's got some good gags.

Anyway, I think it's pretty charming and funny, so figured I'd share it!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hostile V posted:

The presence of sapient machines and robots is a cultural blood debt owed to Megatokyo permanently changing the face of early webcomics.

Speaking of which, what is going on with Megatokyo?

*checks current page*

...What is going on with Megatokyo? :ohdear:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mikl posted:

*checks current page*

I think he finally had sex or something, I don't know, I just heard it through the grapevine.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Whoever recommended The Sword Interval over in the GC thread, I fuckin' hate you because I'd forgotten how good it is and now I have to wait for updates like the rest of you jerks :argh:

hahahaha one of us! one of us! :smug:

It has been a great ride so far and I'm really curious to see if it sticks the landing. I'm not actually sure where I'd like it to go. Fall's journey has been one of self-discovery amid a failing system. The two antagonistic forces have been a cynical desire to perpetuate the failing system in order to maintain stability and a nihilistic desire to end everything. With the nihilism basically dealt with that leaves the cynicism as the final hurdle, which seems appropriate. I guess my hope is that the ending has more to say than just a commentary on its own fiction.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Some friends of mine just put up a new website for Jump Leads, a webcomic from 2007 that's been missing from the internet for a few years.

It's a sic-fi comic inspired by classic british scifi shows like Dr Who and Red Dwarf. Its a universe hopping adventure series that lasted 10 issues before the very tallented artist managed to launch their own freelance career and no longer had the time to work on a webcomic for free. Full disclosure I provided the (rubbish) art for the last half of the final issue, but the 95% of the comic that the original artist Jjar illustrated is gorgeous.

The overarching story remains unfinished, but it's very much a journey not the destination kind of comic, I'm a bit biased but I think its well worth a read if you're a fan of scifi laced with dry british humour and silliness. The main Writter is Ben Paddon of Portscenter and British Candy Authority and he's been trying to reboot the story as a podcast for a while now.

Check it out at http://jumpleads.zone

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mikl posted:

*checks current page*

Wow, the heading is still 'relax, we understand j00.' Careful with that, it's an antique.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm for a SD thread if only so I don't have to keep checking General to talk about it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Since we realized that HP and Undine's costumes were syncing, I am now poring over every new page with them and back-checking to see if anything alters. I don't think there have been any further adjustments?

I think they only synch when they transform again so check again in-universe tomorrow night

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mr Phillby posted:

Some friends of mine just put up a new website for Jump Leads, a webcomic from 2007 that's been missing from the internet for a few years.

Man, it's been a long time since I thought about that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Okay I made a Sleepless Domain thread. Let's discuss to our heart's content over there!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hostile V posted:

There's actually a thing about that. The immediately relevant bit is that Megatokyo introduced Ping, and way back in the day aping Megatokyo was what you did if you wanted on the bandwagon (unless you were aping Penny Arcade), so you put a robot in the comic because that's just what you did, and QC launched in that window, so here we are.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Okay I made a Sleepless Domain thread. Let's discuss to our heart's content over there!

Surely you mean heartful's content. :colbert:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, if we're losing Sleepless Domain, I'm going to request that everybody in this thread make a post this week about a comic that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Surprise me!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I don't know if it's been mentioned at some point in the thread's history, but I recently checked Broodhollow and was surprised to see some new content on there (unfortunately still about a year old at this point).

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Now that Evan Dahm has finished publishing The Harrowing of Hell he's back to updating Vattu frequently. As with all Rice Boy-related tales, it's interesting and different. http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
im glad mine made ppl laugh today lol. i was going to do a big "please read my comic" post here once this chapter was done.

anyway read bybloemen, a comic about two devils getting into the danish tulip mania market of ye olden days and causing problems for everyone. my favorite genre of comic.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 12, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fun hater posted:

im glad mine made ppl laugh today lol. i was going to do a big "please read my comic" post here once this chapter was done.

anyway read bybloemen, a comic about two devils getting into the danish tulip mania market of ye olden days and causing problems for everyone. my favorite genre of comic.

That looks kind of amazing.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

shirts and skins posted:

Now that Evan Dahm has finished publishing The Harrowing of Hell he's back to updating Vattu frequently. As with all Rice Boy-related tales, it's interesting and different. http://www.rice-boy.com/vattu/

I don't really have too much idea what is going on with the Dog People.

The Secret Council of Dog Women, including Dog Emperors Daughter, conspired to kill Dog Emperor (who everyone considered weak). Now Dog Emperors Daughter is trying to marry Drug Addict Painter Dog, I guess to avoid getting married off to a member of the Dog Elite and so to cement her position as the real power on the Dog Throne (rather than a power hungry husband)? They've locked down the Dog Palace to avoid a panic and to get themselves in a position of power before the dust settles. Then there's that Older Pragmatic Dog General, who might be a rival for power through his lame-o son? His Dog Wife might be involved in the plot (I think his servant who is the same species as Vattu was)? There's also the Dog Mystic, who was friends with Dog Emperor when he was younger and I guess is a bit of a cynic and is implying to Painter Dog that it doesn't matter if he becomes Dog Emperor, the throne is just empty Dog Symbolism that consumes everyone.

Is that about right? :woof:

Anyway, consider me Dog Racist because there are a lot of fuckin dogs to keep track of. Hard to keep things in your head when you get a page or so every week. I'm sure it'll make more sense if I went back and reread it.

fun hater posted:

Looks cool

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 12, 2020

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

O Human Star continues to be really good and incredibly fulfilling gay and romantic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

fun hater posted:

upon inspection this comic appears to be Extremely Rad, thanks for recommending it! (Yours is pretty good too! I really need to catch up).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
here's brainchild, it's about a college student named Allison (hang on...) who starts seeing crazy monsters and such. it didn't update for several years but has been updating for the last few months, hopefully that keeps up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

here's brainchild, it's about a college student named Allison (hang on...) who starts seeing crazy monsters and such. it didn't update for several years but has been updating for the last few months, hopefully that keeps up

Every time Brainchild puts more than like month’s worth of updates I get apprehensive because that’s usually when the author tends to drop off the face of the earth for another year and a half, like she’s under some eldritch curse or something.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

Well to toot me and NJ's horn a bit, Undead Friend just recently passed 500 pages on its reboot and in about 15 days it'll be the 2-year anniversary of this version of the comic.

Congratulations! Been following for over half a year now since you posed it up in this thread last year, still enjoying it!

I know I posted it up a few pages back, but my comments haven't been going through for about a month now on the page. If it's just me, it's not the end of the world, but I know NJ has said a number of times in the past that they help keep her motivated, so if it is affecting a larger group of people and a bunch aren't going through, it might be worth looking into.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That's weird. Comments have to be approve, but NJ's pretty obsessive about checking on those so it doesn't seem like she'd have missed several...in general there have been some issues with the comment plugin she's using (namely getting it to appear the same on the front page as it does on the archive and getting replies to work). Try putting in a test comment on today's page, I'll check with her to see if it comes through on her end at all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, if we're losing Sleepless Domain, I'm going to request that everybody in this thread make a post this week about a comic that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Surprise me!

Challenge accepted!

I present Erma, a comic about what would happen if the spooky ghost lady from The Ring got married and had a kid, and the kid inherited her mother's powers. Erma's that kid. The strip transitions from joke-a-day to plotted over time, as so many web comics do, but I'd argue that Erma does it better than most, expanding on the world of the strip rather than recklessly altering to fit the new story structure.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

oriongates posted:

That's weird. Comments have to be approve, but NJ's pretty obsessive about checking on those so it doesn't seem like she'd have missed several...in general there have been some issues with the comment plugin she's using (namely getting it to appear the same on the front page as it does on the archive and getting replies to work). Try putting in a test comment on today's page, I'll check with her to see if it comes through on her end at all.

I've done a bunch of tests, but will put in another

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Chapter 2 of A Distant Sky begins today!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Twenty Four posted:

I've done a bunch of tests, but will put in another

Yeah, not showing up on her end. Not sure what the hell is up with it...we've been struggling with the comment system a bit over the last few days but neither of us are very good at anything related to web-design. We're actually thinking about doing a small crowdfunding effort in order to get a professional to put together a proper site, because we're both running into a wall with these wordpress plugins.

In the meantime you could always pop into the UF discord: https://discord.com/invite/VnUBNzT

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
to mention an unmentioned comic, Cassiopeia Quinn is still way better than it has any right to be

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ironic Twist posted:

to mention an unmentioned comic, Cassiopeia Quinn is still way better than it has any right to be

Oh, that's a fun little comic with some great art. I especially adore Theira, the trigger-happy bug girl.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I'm going to pimp Serious Engineering again. It's currently on a break until August while they plan the next volume and work on plans to print the first volume which they recently finished. Both of the creators are really talented and they're working on telling an very interesting and likely dark tale. They're also fun folks to hang out with and have a Discord if that's your sort of thing. They're also in the process of planning another set of work which they've been posting some WiP shots to the Discord and Patreon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

FLAAASHBACK!