Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The second page of today's Oglaf has one of the most viscerally unsettling panels in anything ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

girl dick energy posted:

The second page of today's Oglaf has one of the most viscerally unsettling panels in anything ever.

You had me expecting so much worse

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That baby is so jazzed about everything :3:

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Twibbit posted:

You had me expecting so much worse

Yeah, this didn't even register on my unsettling scale, not from a webcomic that had the eye-loving comic.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

the holy poopacy posted:

That baby is so jazzed about everything :3:

That baby is so jizzed about everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Blues posted:

The protagonist of Misery (who is a clear stand-in for King, an author so frustrated by the weight of his own fame and the genre niche his fanbase expects him to write in that he can barely stand it) comes up with the name Constant Reader for the villain Annie Wilkes, and to this day King addresses all his forewords, affectionately, to the Constant Reader.

King didn't come up with the name. He probably took it from the column Dorothy Parker wrote for the New Yorker from the late 1920s. She in turn had taken it from the serialised novels of the 19th century, where the author might address Constant Reader in the text because those were the people who followed every chapter as it came out.

(Actually Paul Sheldon wrote novels after the style of that period, so it's possible King found it during his research on Misery and bypassed the Parker connection. But I don't doubt that he knew about the Parker column.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2021

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jedit posted:

King didn't come up with the name. He probably took it from the column Dorothy Parker wrote for the New Yorker from the late 1920s. She in turn had taken it from the serialised novels of the 19th century, where the author might address Constant Reader in the text because those were the people who followed every chapter as it came out.

(Actually Paul Sheldon wrote novels after the style of that period, so it's possible King found it during his research on Misery and bypassed the Parker connection. But I don't doubt that he knew about the Parker column.)

Oh, good call! I totally forgot that detail.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Never Satisfied: Getting some serious Richard Spender vibes from Thierry here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

girl dick energy posted:

Woah now. Richard Spender doesn't deserve that comparison. He's a fuckup but Thierry is on another level :v:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Android Blues posted:

Parasocial relationships to things are also completely inevitable. Humans form social bonds with things compulsively, and the things in question don't need to form the bonds back. We love stuffed animals, we name our cars, and we imagine conversations with people we've never met.

As people have mentioned, parasocial relationships have been around forever - our current understanding of them is just heightened and made necessary by the sheer volume of media engagement, often direct creator engagement, we encounter on the modern internet.

Example that springs to mind: in the 90s reissue of The Stand, Stephen King writes in the prologue that he still receives letters from people asking how the characters of this book he wrote in the 70s are doing, what their lives are like after the end of the story, exactly as if they're friends that the letter-writers want to catch up with.

I personally think the discussion around them has flattened a bit, as these things tend to do when the discourse on them occurs through Twitter, which flattens everything. It's good to be aware of unhealthy forms of attachment, and for fans and creators to understand boundaries, but it's also impossible to actually remove the tendency to form parasocial bonds from the human experience. It's probably better to talk about understanding this tendency and working to ameliorate its harmful manifestations, rather than just using "parasocial" as a snarl word, because I'm pretty sure it's not something you can just cut out of the human animal.

pretty good post!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Pintsize put googly eyes on his face.

It's a problem.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i wrote a post about how i write my webcomic. maybe it will be interesting to you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’m going to end up quoting the last punchline from the most recent Oglaf at every opportunity.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The latest Oglaf is 100% punchlines after the first panel.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Jedit posted:

The latest Oglaf is 100% punchlines after the first panel.

My favorite is "it was a very rare stake." but the last one is extremely good too.

Rand Brittain posted:

Pintsize put googly eyes on his face.

It's a problem.

I wonder if Marten's aware of the new body?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

That is correct.

quote:

i already talked about it on tumblr but i could talk about, in general, how the landscape of A Ghost Story has changed as i’ve changed coasts and finally have first hand experience of the buildings and environments im trying to draw.
This in particular is something I'm pretty interested in.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

thanks, i get a lot out of reading people's critiques of other webcomics but theres not a lot about how the sausage gets made. if anyone knows any other blogs where an artist breaks down comic creation, i'd appreciate it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

girl dick energy posted:

What a tweest!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Thanks this is genuinely really cool. The way you spoke about criticism really resonated with me and it was neat to see the process of working the script into shape.

I'll be thinking about it the next time I pull out my own moth eaten comic script.

Also I should read A Ghost Story.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

everyone should read my webcomic based on how much it would benefit me personally. thank you for the nice words

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fun hater posted:

everyone should read my webcomic based on how much it would benefit me personally. thank you for the nice words

"How much writing a webcomic benefits you personally" sounds like a terrible theme for a webcomic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What I really want from this QC storyline is for it to end with Pintsize hoist on his own petard, because now that people have seen him with a humanoid body, they permanently stop thinking of him as a funny talking animal and hold him to normal adult behavior standards regardless of what shape he is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

What I really want from this QC storyline is for it to end with Pintsize hoist on his own petard, because now that people have seen him with a humanoid body, they permanently stop thinking of him as a funny talking animal and hold him to normal adult behavior standards regardless of what shape he is.
That would be spectacular and, if Jeph did it right, could actually have some interesting subtext.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

A better solution is to just make him fall down a hole and then every other character forgets he exists and we never see him again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

A better solution is to just make him fall down a hole and then every other character forgets he exists and we never see him again.
That happens with basically every character Jeph gets bored of writing, and then they come back.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i haven't read qc in probably like a literal decade but i feel like once you've got your slice of life comic past some threshold of characters you probably can't spend your time on every single one of them all the time

and that threshold of characters is, like, a half dozen. or honestly probably less than that.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

All the more reason to ditch the dumb ones like Pintsize.

Speaking of slice of life comics, there was one I read a long time ago that has long since finished that I'm trying to remember. The two main characters were a blonde woman who had an on again off again thing with a taxi driver, and her best friend was a heavier girl who worked at a flower shop and later on gets with an asexual British girl. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like the approach where the author just shuts down the comic and then starts a new one every time they want to focus on a different subset of the ever growing cast.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Speaking of which, I've really been loving the new STEEPLE book.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

All the more reason to ditch the dumb ones like Pintsize.

Speaking of slice of life comics, there was one I read a long time ago that has long since finished that I'm trying to remember. The two main characters were a blonde woman who had an on again off again thing with a taxi driver, and her best friend was a heavier girl who worked at a flower shop and later on gets with an asexual British girl. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sounds like https://www.girlswithslingshots.com/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If QC has reached the point where Pintsize got put into a humanoid body, it's time to throw the entire comic down a hole.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh dammit, I woke up the Hipster Marmaduke hatedom again.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That was it, thank you.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i forgot to post this the other day but this horror webtoon in the vein of fuan no tane was really cool and fun to flick through really late last night

https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/nocturne/list?title_no=118492

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Pintsize ain't getting his old body back.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Of all the things they could be, its always bugged me a bit that one ever seems to have an ambition to be more than "human-analogue" and basically settled for it due to financial constraints.

It gives me this sort of weird feeling, like there's just something fundamentally wrong with it, with what it saying by doing it, that I can't put my finger on.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
So long ago there was this collaborative webcomic called "Whispered Apologies" organised by Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics dude), and although the website is still up, all the images have gone.

Does anyone know whether this is still hosted anywhere, or where I could download an archive?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Small Scary Go Round / Giant Days reference in today's Girl Genius.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So someone in the PYF comics thread linked to this:

Clown Corps

And I'm loving it. It's both very silly and self-aware while taking its concept of a crack squad of crime-fighting battle clowns entirely seriously. Comic good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

So someone in the PYF comics thread linked to this:

Clown Corps

And I'm loving it. It's both very silly and self-aware while taking its concept of a crack squad of crime-fighting battle clowns entirely seriously. Comic good.

Thanks! I'm digging into it now and really liking it.