Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Can I just say I found this panel in today's Girl Genius update hilarious?

I'm sure I put into words why, though.

Edit: Keep walking, pal - this throuple's full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool World VCD
Feb 5, 2024
Looks interesting and weird. https://witch-hunter-phobos.the-comic.org/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Emzedoh posted:

Is it because it's Foglio art at its muppetest?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Very possible.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Emzedoh posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed that panel too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I found this neat thing, which seems to be undergoing a site move at the moment. Magic Mimic is about a mimic in a dungeon that wants to become a human so that they can go out and explore the world. It's got a lovely art style, and I wanna see it continue.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That's a webtoon alright.

(e: that sounded more dismissive than I mean to be. It's not bad! But man I still always struggle with the webtoon style.)

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Very random question - does anybody know the name of that one webcomic artist who does/did verbose high-concept comedies with an MS-Paint art style that sort of looked like GoAnimate? There was one about a woman running for president in a fantasy world and one about a guy who gets a chip in his brain that lets him see through the eyes of his alternate selves.

FAKE EDIT: Did some googling and his name is Øyvind Thorsby. His stuff is worth a read, incredibly enjoyable and unique.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every time Hitmen for Destiny gets mentioned in the thread, someone goes back and reads it again.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've been enjoying a comic called Tamberlane lately. Conceptually its a psuedonedieval "furries find and raise abandoned human child but clearly live under some sort of weird information-control tyrannical government with classism and racism thrown in", but the actual appeal for me is mostly just that I'm a sucker for stories about parenthood, and the struggle to be a good parent even when you're a fuckup of a person, and thats like half of what it is so far.

Wish there were other webcomics doing that, but this one scratches the itch alrigjt for now. And the art is pretty good, too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Today's Wilde Life got a "fuckin' finally!" from me, hah. Been waiting for this!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Today's Wilde Life got a "fuckin' finally!" from me, hah. Been waiting for this!

I mean, yeah, but also how many times is this exact same thing going to happen? I was excited for something new maybe.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

This is the first time we've seen them show up for someone other than Oliver, isn't it? They've been surprisingly absent in most other scenarios where Cliff was actually in danger that I could remember.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Joe England, skilled ink webcartoonist of Olde Webcomic Zebra Girl, has recently launched his new project, Witch Warp. He is also apparently in a fairly dire financial situation, so if you have ever enjoyed his work it's likely worth chipping in to support him.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 5, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hello thread, I am trying to remember the name of a webcomic I encountered in the early 00s. It centered around students in a gifted program at a school, and one of its main features was that it had been running for seemingly ever, and had a very extensive cast of characters. It had a pretty basic side-on perspective, art that was maybe two or three steps up from Foxtrot, and an incredibly consistent, oldschool style.

From four years ago, I am cleaning up the thousands of old bookmarks I have lying around and and identified this as CrebHeads, a.k.a. Ban the Basics, a comic which apparently just vanished as so many such things do. It did at least apparently produce a weird meta feedback loop of comic searching at one point.

edit: whoops, doublepostin'. My bad.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 5, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Joe England, skilled ink webcartoonist of Olde Webcomic Zebra Girl, has recently launched his new project, Witch Warp. He is also apparently in a fairly dire financial situation, so if you have ever enjoyed his work it's likely worth chipping in to support him.

Thanks for the heads up, I loved Zebra girl and have been excited for this. Definitely gonna drop some money his way, he deserves it.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The author of Magefront just launched a new comic about vampires in the Victorian era and I'm liking it so far:

https://concerningblood.the-comic.org/

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sounds like the vertical reading format isn't the only reason to not be 100% entranced with webtoon:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/webtoon-originals-contract-draws-criticism-from-creators

quote:

Regarding the Reddit post’s claim that upon signing with WEBTOON, the creator would be ceding ownership of their publishing rights to WEBTOON, according to the spokesperson, WEBTOON has an option to acquire the print publishing rights for a limited amount of time. Should that option be exercised, they will acquire the rights and creators will receive standard industry compensation, in accordance with business practices common in print book publishing in N. America.

As for merchandising, WEBTOON describes the deal as an exclusive license to develop merchandising opportunities on the creator’s behalf, with the creators receiving royalties. The deal is exclusive, they say, mostly to centralize efforts to find, negotiate and finalize merchandising / licensing efforts.

As far as WEBTOON becoming an agent for the comics creator/webtoon series, the platform says that once again, their contract simply describes an option to purchase multimedia (e.g. TV/movie and/or anime) rights, subject to industry standard compensation terms, with the creator receiving the majority of rights fees. WEBTOON compares their role to being a producer, not an agent. Indeed, this is a fairly typical clause in many publishing deals that focus on media rights, although, once again, how long the option applies for and whether the creators can get those rights back is a key element of any deal.

Finally, WEBTOON characterized the Originals arrangement as one where WEBTOON and the comics creators become business partners, working together to use their resources to find mutually beneficial opportunities to invest in creators and their work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the Boyfriends creator was talking about how working with Webtoon has been completely miserable but they can't withdraw without ending the comic because Webtoon owns part of the IP.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It honestly explains all the super extended hiatuses comics have taken, including Batman: Wayne Family Adventures.

To add on to what Neito posted, they also are like most companies and pay their translators beans.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The author of Never Satisfied announced that he is not going to continue the comic as it was.
https://www.neversatisfiedcomic.com/

He answered some spoiler plot questions about the plot on his tumblr, like Morgan aka Lucy went full Husk mode in the mysterious flashback, and had an obsidian stone shoved into their eye to eat up the husk magic and that's why Lucy is magicless and wears an eyepatch, but things like the ending remains unanswered because the author doesn't know either.

I appreciate the stern warnings not to draw a longform comic without an outline or at least plans for the endgame.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So that comic will never resolve its plot threads? Talk about normative determinism :v:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

isasphere posted:

The author of Never Satisfied announced that he is not going to continue the comic as it was.

He answered some spoiler plot questions about the plot on his tumblr, like Morgan aka Lucy went full Husk mode in the mysterious flashback, and had an obsidian stone shoved into their eye to eat up the husk magic and that's why Lucy is magicless and wears an eyepatch, but things like the ending remains unanswered because the author doesn't know either.

I appreciate the stern warnings not to draw a longform comic without an outline or at least plans for the endgame.

Mind giving a link to the tumblr stuff?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

isasphere posted:

Unfortunately I think this was kind of coming giving that they already scrapped and rebooted it at least once for the exact same reason. It's a shame, because both incarnations were really fun!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
https://ohcorny.tumblr.com/ seems to be the author's tumblr, just keep scrolling down for a bunch of Q&A stuff

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Yes, that's the tumblr. The answers are not too far into the archive, about 5 or 6 pages in if you browse by pages?

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

i am satisfactorily vindicated that my confusion over LaPointe's purpose and character was accurate, as the Q&A indicates they were originally a cameo character that got hastily retconned/retooled and the author never actually had a goal in mind for them. between that and Rin becoming a husk apparently being a spur-of-the-moment choice he had so little idea how to deal with it killed the comic, it looks the author literally didn't give any of the ostensible villains a plan? which yeah, probably a bad idea for any story.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This is the second time Never Satisified stopped, isn't it?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rexxed posted:

This is the second time Never Satisified stopped, isn't it?

Yes. Though the last time it was stopped, it was restarted with a completely new version of the story. This time the comic looks to just be completely over.

They already have another comic they are working on instead. Webcomics are pretty difficult and I'm sure this was a really good learning experience.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 12, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its a very accurate story title

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
he summarizes it pretty well in that last update: he was an extremely different person when the comic started, in college and without any experience writing anything for real. it would've been nice for it to have wrapped up somehow, but he started without any overarching plans on where the plot would go or even how details and mysteries he introduced would've been wrapped up. it's a lesson learned and i have high hopes for all his future projects

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i redrew/rewrote the first chapter of my webcomic and now its on sale in a .pdf format for PWYW (suggested $5).

download it here

first chapter with the original art

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

flatluigi posted:

he summarizes it pretty well in that last update: he was an extremely different person when the comic started, in college and without any experience writing anything for real. it would've been nice for it to have wrapped up somehow, but he started without any overarching plans on where the plot would go or even how details and mysteries he introduced would've been wrapped up. it's a lesson learned and i have high hopes for all his future projects

Yeah I kept up with Never Satisfied and I think it was settling into an interesting nook, but it took a long time to get there and I can't imagine how much more time and energy would be needed to push the comic forward and stuff. Another decade or two?

It's funny-but-tragic how many people get ideas of doing fantasy epic comics in college and then the immense weight of that commitment hits years down the line. Best of luck to him on his new project though.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

fun hater posted:

i redrew/rewrote the first chapter of my webcomic and now its on sale in a .pdf format for PWYW (suggested $5).

download it here

first chapter with the original art

The preview images look great!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

YggiDee posted:

https://ohcorny.tumblr.com/ seems to be the author's tumblr, just keep scrolling down for a bunch of Q&A stuff
It sucks the Q&As didn't have any tags on them but I did get a kick out of seeing this progression in reverse

quote:

did you have any idea how a thierry/joe reunion was gonna go down (Personally hoping & praying Joe verbally beat his rear end for what he did to their adopted kiddo)
Anonymous

man how Did i think that would go… it would have happened in that chapter.

god lmao i went to look at my notes app to see if i’d outlined the rest of the chapter and i apparently only scripted as far as halfway through lucy and seiji’s date. and i guess the rest i did on the fly. reminder i was, i believe, trying to pencil 3 pages of comics 4 days a week, on top of working on NS, at the time the last chapter was coming out. you understand why i had to stop.

anyway. yeah i think joe would have been angry with him at first but also. holy poo poo the love of my life is alive. but also. Holy poo poo the love of my life is a giant loving bird monster.

but the love would win, ultimately. because he would know by then why he did it

quote:

..how was lucy and seiji's date going to go? mind sharing your notes?
Anonymous

my notes stop halfway through the date, the full scene of which i drew and is on the site. i don’t know if we would have returned to it narratively because when i stopped working on the chapter I Fully stopped working on the chapter

it probably went fine

quote:

i cannot stress enough that where i stopped updating never satisfied is exactly where i stopped thinking about what came next. i do not even know what would have been on the next pages. it was a Hard stop.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I felt this one on a spiritual level:

quote:

Anonymous asked:

if ppl asking questions about what was in the works/could be is annoying just let us know! im curious about ivy...is there anything that you can say about her?

Answer:

i made the world and the rules of the magic and her being a cat doesn't make sense even to me

Like, genuinely, no insult here at all, I would have done the same regarding plot and worldbuilding, except I don't have even the discipline to have a finished page to post online.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m glad Corny has learned one of the absolute oldest story telling lessons in the book, “the Mystery Box is a lovely way to write a television show or comic and it bites the author in the end every single loving time”

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m glad Corny has learned one of the absolute oldest story telling lessons in the book, “the Mystery Box is a lovely way to write a television show or comic and it bites the author in the end every single loving time”

Do you mean specifically the kind of mystery box show where there isn't actually a solution in mind at the start, or just any show driven by a weird mystery at the core? Because I can think of plenty of shows I'd call 'mystery boxes' that worked fine because they started with a clear idea what the solution would be.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Joe Slowboat posted:

Do you mean specifically the kind of mystery box show where there isn't actually a solution in mind at the start, or just any show driven by a weird mystery at the core? Because I can think of plenty of shows I'd call 'mystery boxes' that worked fine because they started with a clear idea what the solution would be.

The former. The kind of story where you are asking interesting questions, usually at a rapid pace, but have no real notion what the answers are going to be.

It’s easy to set up mysteries, much harder to pay them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

When people refer to "mystery box" writing it's usually a direct reference to a Ted Talk by JJ Abrams where he admitted that his technique for writing a successful show is to lure people in with promises of getting to see inside a metaphorical "mystery box" to get their attention and then keeping them engaged with promises of showing them what's in the box regardless of whether or not you actually thought about what you were going to put in there. It was his metaphor for writing in such a way as to string the audience along without necessarily having an actual story to tell.

He talked about it like it was a career-changing life hack, and to a degree it was. In so far as it was him explaining how he took advantage of the naivety of audiences for trusting him not to be full of it, and built an entire incredibly successful career on basically the laziest suspense writing imaginable. Unfortunately by admitting this everybody pretty much realized he was a Fraud and now had video proof of how proud he was admitting it, so his mystery box writing trick no longer works. He still continued to write after giving that Ted Talk but he was no longer able to so nakedly rely on his gimmick. His works have not been able to reach the same levels of acclaim and cultural penetration as they did when people were willing to give his writing the benefit of the doubt.