Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I find petty and shortsighted characters unrelatable because I don't need to actually have anything at stake for me to rush to the defense of awful people, merely the opportunity to deploy a zinger I heard a blog use against an imaginary guy from the bad team

I know you wouldn't have any way of knowing this, but stormgale isn't from the USA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Has anyone ever heard of Drop Out?

It's a 100+ page one-shot webcomic about two college fellas on a road trip to kill themselves. It's pretty dark but in a way that makes it engaging instead of gratuitous. I have mixed feelings about the ending but liked it overall and it, for a brief moment, filled the hole that Cheap Thrills left.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know you wouldn't have any way of knowing this, but stormgale isn't from the USA

Name a country then, if you think there's one where some gangster isn't trying to lowkey subvert the state and take anything of value that it holds, and a solid middle-class constituency that either openly cheers for them or personally dislikes them but lends them material support regardless.

That is the stakes in the story, it's not some manichean battle of good and evil against the shadowy anime villain and his henchgoons who're threatening to disrupt the status quo; all the well-meaning bourgeois characters are also ultimately on his side, whether they know it or not, because he is the status quo that they depend on for the little things that make up their lives, whether that's the money to keep their homes or just a sense of belonging. That's a conflict that could be papered over so long as the underclass protagonist didn't openly challenge the system and it all just came down to personal niceness at no real expense to themselves, now it can't be. Petunia's the most ideologically bougie character in the comic, but Boris straight up feeds off of popularity, he's gonna stay a rebel when word gets out that he's housing terrorists?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 4, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
woah goatse

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Boris straight up feeds off of popularity

Boris is the size of his own self-image, not the size of the crowd. He's ego-driven, not popularity-driven.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

As I cause wizard to Woah I'll try and sum up my thoughts

I think my issue comes up to this (And this is basically personal preference):

I found When the focus and scope of the story was small, it was nicely balanced and the fact of the world being kinda crappy was an interesting backdrop and influence to the story.

Now we are reaching the point that Kingdoms are getting involved the scope of our interaction with the story is still Mostly Poppy's rather keyhole like interpretation, which feels like we've widened the conflict but the slice of it we are getting is still so small (duh that's a protagonist but poppy's so narrow and bullheaded) which dosen't engage me in the same way the gang turf wars or Lilly's desire to be a doctor do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The switch to this prose/comic format has made the pacing significantly worse and I can't put my finger on how.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Morbi please make the next update full comic style, no words, just full smackdown :pray:

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Oxxidation posted:

The switch to this prose/comic format has made the pacing significantly worse and I can't put my finger on how.

It's probably because it takes a reader longer to consume it. Reading a full page of text is a more active exercise than reading a comic, which can usually be easily interpreted at a glance, barring dialogue.
The actual content being delivered is way more dense, though. In 12 updates, I've told the same amount of plot that was originally going to take between 20-30 to do, and that's not including the stuff I was planning on cutting down to streamline the script back when it still was a comic outline, like most of the Boris scene and Hallia's voice mails.

And yeah, we're hitting the first full-comic page next update. That's still the most practical way I feel I can present action scenes.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This markov generator has become indistinguishable from the twitter account it's parodying

https://twitter.com/jeph_ebooks/status/927136067454607361

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Same, but unironically

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

I don’t really get how this related to webcomics but I need to know if this is a thing I can actually buy

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Fortis posted:

I don’t really get how this related to webcomics but I need to know if this is a thing I can actually buy

Here you go

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a good punchline

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You son of a bitch

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Holy poo poo what a twist

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

This is so upsetting I think my immune system reacted to it.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

ahahahah this rules

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I refuse to believe he drew that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

There's another print in the store that looks surprisingly decent, completely unlike anything I've ever seen Buckley draw.

I'm shook

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's improved to the level of tumblr nintendo fan. That's good enough I guess.

hmmmm tho.

How's he not being C&D'd if he's selling em?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 6, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol nintendo does t actually care about metroid’s IP

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Synthbuttrange posted:

He's improved to the level of tumblr nintendo fan. That's good enough I guess.

hmmmm tho.

I think as long it's not flooding the market and not passing as an official Nintendo product, it's ok. I do often see Pokémon fanart and trinkets being sold at conventions without problems.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tim Buckley

...good?

The end of a webcomic era, coming from the Keenspaceous period and now the end of the Lossassic

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That era ended when he successfully became a father.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It seems it's never too late to decide you can actually try to improve.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remember, ages ago, he did some what interesting and competent artwork

This was around or before the great CAD ending of whenever the gently caress

And then he never put effort into anything again

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

That reminds me of that one time Dobson made some Harry Potter print or something and some people accused him of tracing a photo of big ben from Wikipedia, so in response he made a video of him freehanding the entire thing and it turned out he was actually just that accurate when using a reference. People were all "holy poo poo, he can actually draw?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yep. About thirty seconds later, it turned into "and he draws that?"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah Dobson seems like a guy who can actually draw real well if he tries but just settled into his lovely high school style. I remember some timeline thing he posted once and you could see a lot of improvement while he was in school and a lot of regression afterwards.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The Property of Hate Kickstarter is in its last few days, and it's just a few thousand short of its goal. Guess it won't be hitting that Reprint Volume 1 stretch goal that I was hoping for.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think it's funny that Tim Buckley is a father now. I'm proud of him!

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Jess Fink won an Ignatz award- good for her! It's nice to see web based creators getting recognition.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FunkyAl posted:

I think it's funny that Tim Buckley is a father now. I'm proud of him!
Sometimes, childbirth can be as hard on the woman as on the man.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

PMush Perfect posted:

Sometimes, childbirth can be as hard on the woman as on the man.

you laugh now but this kid is going to be some kind of gaming messiah in 32 years

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please god no

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i just want to point out it's gonna be loving weird for that kid when they discover loss

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paranatural's current chapter appears to finally be coming to a head with two twists. lots of people called one, less so the other. it's a good time to catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
raucous