Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Julius CSAR posted:

She is super into Udine

Oh God they’re so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I like that Undine doesnt even do a halfhearted "no no cassidy is fine, really" rebuttal to HP excluding her. Everyone is beyond done with her, it's great.
But not as great as the Cassidy angst we're not doubt going to get from her running into Goops :allears:

what if goops just clowns on her too

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh goops will deff clown on her.

Probably as much due to resentment that she got Cassidy instead of Evil Aether

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

MDA was on hiatus because I moved and then it was back and then it was on hiatus because *waves at everything* but now it's back, again

like a dark souls character my bullshit doesn't die, it just keeps coming back and it won't stop dodge rolling

Hey I haven't read since before the hiatus since I prefer to binge comics but your stuff Owns dude.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Twibbit posted:

Shows how far out of touch I was with Girl Genius. I thought the little smoke knight girl was dead when I last read. Time for an archive binge.

Speaking of, was it weird to anyone else when they killed off the British spy guy and replaced him with the slightly-buffer-but-otherwise-identical British spy guy?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That did feel weird. I still wonder whether there's another shoe to drop there.

For what it's worth, although Rakethorn looks about the same as Wooster, he's supposed to be a spark, and his apparent place in the story is to act as romantic interest bait for Agatha to keep her in England, which is fairly different from Wooster. So now at the party, there's going to be 4 romantic interests for Agatha and 3 for Gil, which seems like a recipe for something to happen.

I also wonder how Queen Albion is going to react to the tentacle guy, and now that all the plot threads that Agatha followed to England are either dead or moved on, it seems like Agatha may want to leave soon against Albion's wishes. Still holding out for Master Payne to show up again too.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Speaking of, was it weird to anyone else when they killed off the British spy guy and replaced him with the slightly-buffer-but-otherwise-identical British spy guy?

It took me a while to realize that the spy died because of this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Airspace posted:

It took me a while to realize that the spy died because of this.

It's Girl Genius, I'm still not convinced he died.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

nimby posted:

It's Girl Genius, I'm still not convinced he died.

Nobody dies in Girl Genius unless they’re (spoiler for a thing that happened 10+ years ago) Lars.

They’re certainly trying to get us to think Wooster could be gone for good though, with how upset Thorpe got.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I think he's toast. Girl Genius is heading towards its endgame right now- some legitimately big things have happened in the last few months.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

I think he's toast. Girl Genius is heading towards its endgame right now- some legitimately big things have happened in the last few months.

whoa flashing back to 2012 here

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are they still on Namek?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Are they still on Namek?

I think that was Fake Namek but don't quote me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

According to the fansubs now they've moved onto Thriller Bark.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

whoa flashing back to 2012 here
I feel like 'endgame' has a different meaning in context of how loving long GG is. Like, it'll probably be over within 5 years?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I enjoyed GG as a fun genre romp even if I have some issues with the writing but god as my witness I will not open that comic up again until I know it is finally over and has a loving ending.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

capitaldelendaest posted:

I enjoyed GG as a fun genre romp even if I have some issues with the writing but god as my witness I will not open that comic up again until I know it is finally over and has a loving ending.
:same:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Well, I feel like the most recent events in Dumbing of Age have convinced me that it's made the leap into a genre I'm not really interested in following it into (gritty superhero melodrama).

There's something just very off about a bunch of college students sitting around one of their lovely dads as he literally breathes his last, bleeding out on the ground after what was basically a mediocre Batman plotline and then there's a punchline about a secret identity. I just can't be invested in the realist personal melodrama of these characters when that just happened. So, I guess I won't keep reading DoA. It's a shame, too.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Realistically, it has a bit to go, yeah.

- Cleanup the current mess in England and learn about time travel.
- Probably a brief Amazon-princess story arc (on the moon?).
- Free Mechanicsburg.
- Endgame arc where time travel fuckery happens. High likelyhood of causing the events that triggered the whole Stormking saga. Trapping Lucrezia in an unending time loop. Finally finding out what happened to Bill and Barry.

That last one could probably go for years and years if they wanted, to be honest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wouldn't expect it to end any time soon, since there's still so many plates spinning with no solution in sight, and I feel like its pulpy feel really set it up to go for a long while.

It does tend to have severe problems with momentum though, and it could do with cutting back on some sprawling elements. Annoyingly, it's been six months since the climax of the arc, and they're still just puttering around without any clear direction of where they're going next. Maybe the sea monkeys will be a critical element? It also hasn't been terribly different from the Paris arc. It usually reads better in chunks than it does day by day, so a whole lot of that will seem to go by in a blink in retrospect.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, I feel like the most recent events in Dumbing of Age have convinced me that it's made the leap into a genre I'm not really interested in following it into (gritty superhero melodrama).

If it's any consolation, it'll probably swerve wildly back to its old genre soon. Willis tends to love straying wildly back and forth between genres, which even if he was a great writer, it'd be hard to make all of that garbage fit together.

If you go back and read It's Walky, there'll be tons of jokes and wacky hijinks only for it all to be brought down by a HARD shift into drama, only to ebb back into wacky comedy again. It's like if once a year, every newspaper comic was required to brutally murder one of their characters.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I'll believe Girl Genius is winding down the moment Lucrezia points into a time portal and shouts "Go back to being LIKE THIS!?" or something similar, like in the early days of the comic. And then somehow Agatha will avoid losing her Spark despite that being the obvious sacrifice she's going to make to save the world.

Until that happens I refuse to believe we're in the Girl Genius endgame (other things that have to happen include 'finding out all the family secrets and secret relationships in the cast' which even just in terms of dialogue to lay it all out will take a while).

E: Good point about DoA swinging wildly back and forth, but it's precisely that which makes the stupid college melodrama unreadable. I liked the stupid college melodrama! They are currently doing the stupid college melodrama while a corpse cools just off panel. Every single character looks like either a sociopath or so impressively traumatized that they've retreated into gag humor to function, and I am reasonably certain the story isn't actually going to have all of them leave for a semester for mandatory therapy or, y'know, literally anything else that one would expect to happen after recent events. It's gone past 'unbelievable plot' to 'unbelievable characters' and that's disappointing.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 11, 2020

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Girl Genius is going to keep going until the Foglios decide to retire I'm sure. It's been obvious for a few years that while they have a story to tell, they're in no hurry to finish it because they like writing (and getting paid for) it.

According to Wikipedia Phil is 64, so he's probably still got a few years left in him

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

There's something just very off about a bunch of college students sitting around one of their lovely dads as he literally breathes his last, bleeding out on the ground after what was basically a mediocre Batman plotline and then there's a punchline about a secret identity. I just can't be invested in the realist personal melodrama of these characters when that just happened. So, I guess I won't keep reading DoA. It's a shame, too.

I was at this point two weeks ago, but he shoved through this plotline so quickly that I'm almost okay with it.

I'm really hoping this goes back around to the stupidity of what the church group did and Joyce and Becky coming to terms with what they believed until now. That's always been where the comic has been strongest.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I was at this point two weeks ago, but he shoved through this plotline so quickly that I'm almost okay with it.

I'm really hoping this goes back around to the stupidity of what the church group did and Joyce and Becky coming to terms with what they believed until now. That's always been where the comic has been strongest.

I just have no faith, from the recent pages, that the actual emotional weight of what just handled will be dealt with. Which is wild! The strong parts of the comic have generally had pretty melodramatic-but-well-realized emotional responses from the cast, and this just ... doesn't seem like something that can reasonably be responded to seriously without the entire structure of the comic collapsing. Ross coming to the campus with a gun was already putting a lot of stress on that bare lip service to realism, and this blows past that at supersonic speeds.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I also wonder how Queen Albion is going to react to the tentacle guy, and now that all the plot threads that Agatha followed to England are either dead or moved on, it seems like Agatha may want to leave soon against Albion's wishes. Still holding out for Master Payne to show up again too.
Tentacle guy thinks that the apocalypse is very likely to happen because of all this, so I'm presuming one of the Lucrezias will murder or impersonate her and/or the whale dude. I've been assuming for a while that they want to clear the deck for Agatha to become a new Queen, especially after showing she can already do it with the right motivation.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'll believe Girl Genius is winding down the moment Lucrezia points into a time portal and shouts "Go back to being LIKE THIS!?" or something similar, like in the early days of the comic. And then somehow Agatha will avoid losing her Spark despite that being the obvious sacrifice she's going to make to save the world.
That's an interesting point, but I'm curious how they'd get to it from where we are now.

Also, just thinking through the giant gaps in the timeline, even if they wanted to start winding everything down soon, there's way too much to explain from, like, the first year of the comic. Gonna be a long ride.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think you get to it in the time travel nonsense that will happen after Agatha teams up with Geisterdamen, with Gil along for the ride. That much seems set in stone by the time windows from the first chapter, which is wild.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I started finding GG an exercise in frustration to read when I realized they introducted new characters and dangling plot points at an astronomical rate, but gave satisfying (to me) resolutions to existing dangling mysteries or plot points so rarely I can't, off the top of my head, think of any since Agatha got in touch with the castle. If I'm going to spend years to decades waiting for a story to finish, I need fairly satisfying miniplot resolutions along the way or I start to give up without anything to get my teeth in. I'm trying to articulate how it feels different from something like Gunnerkrigg Court, which is a also a slow burn that provides more questions than answers, and I think it's partially because GC has a smaller cast/scope, only one location, and raises new plot threads/shocking twists at a pace which is much more palatable to me.

GG feels like a roller coaster ride of constant new people, settings, and twists. I'm no longer suprised when a totally new character or setting arrives to pull the rug out from under the cast because I became numb to it the last fifteen times it happened and left another dangling, unresolved plot thread. I was starting to just kind of groan every time more stuff to keep track of popped up.

That's of course subjective and is not me casting judgement on people who are enjoying it, GG's clearly got it's niche and is filling it and making people happy, including the writers. : )

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 11, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This character in Wilde Life who seems to save the world and help people purely to spite people they don't like? Very good.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Never look a gift dead god's heart in the, uh, aorta.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I started finding GG an exercise in frustration to read when I realized they introducted new characters and dangling plot points at an astronomical rate, but gave satisfying (to me) resolutions to existing dangling mysteries or plot points so rarely I can't, off the top of my head, think of any since Agatha got in touch with the castle. If I'm going to spend years to decades waiting for a story to finish, I need fairly satisfying miniplot resolutions along the way or I start to give up without anything to get my teeth in. I'm trying to articulate how it feels different from something like Gunnerkrigg Court, which is a also a slow burn that provides more questions than answers, and I think it's partially because GC has a smaller cast/scope, only one location, and raises new plot threads/shocking twists at a pace which is much more palatable to me.

GG feels like a roller coaster ride of constant new people, settings, and twists. I'm no longer suprised when a totally new character or setting arrives to pull the rug out from under the cast because I became numb to it the last fifteen times it happened and left another dangling, unresolved plot thread. I was starting to just kind of groan every time more stuff to keep track of popped up.

That's of course subjective and is not me casting judgement on people who are enjoying it, GG's clearly got it's niche and is filling it and making people happy, including the writers. : )

I haven't read GG, but GC's plot threads generally get built on periodically and when new stuff gets introduced there's a good chance it ties back into other plotthreads anyway. So there's still a sense of movement as the comic moves on. Jeanne was something they worked towards for like half the comic, but think of all the things that happened leading to it. Parley & Smitty got brought in after their introduction to the medium training & that lets us see more of their relationship in more contexts, Shadow got a body, we tie it back into the ongoign robot plotline with the introduction (& reappraisal) of Diego that also serves as Jeanne's origin, the Psychopomps are introduced beacuse of all this, and of course we get realm of the dead and Mort's send off.
You're constantly learning something new about the world or characters that affects other things while they make progress on the mai ngoal. And sometimes there's self-contained arcs that get wrapped up in the meantime, which probably helps

Again I haven't read GG, though, so maybe I'm off hte mark on the differences between the two

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Wittgen posted:

This character in Wilde Life who seems to save the world and help people purely to spite people they don't like? Very good.

I'm very much liking the character. Seem like a dude with an ex wife he loathes, who was into world-saving epic adventure and he stole one of her strongest artifacts because gently caress you. Now he's using up part of the artifact to save some non-name boring regular human doing something he very much doubts will actually work.

More works of fiction can use people like this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wilde Life's characters have always felt like the strongest part of the comic to me. Conversation sequences are usually better than monster sequences.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I started finding GG an exercise in frustration to read when I realized they introducted new characters and dangling plot points at an astronomical rate, but gave satisfying (to me) resolutions to existing dangling mysteries or plot points so rarely I can't, off the top of my head, think of any since Agatha got in touch with the castle.

The big one is Gil and Agatha getting rid their respective parents out of their minds.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

My favorite realization I've had about GG that I'm sure the characters involved won't find out for years is that Gil and Zeetha are absolutely siblings and probably twins.

EDIT: I'm just really excited for that shoe to drop! It's gonna be a good one!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cat Mattress posted:

The big one is Gil and Agatha getting rid their respective parents out of their minds.
Also the stuff about the Queen's Mirrors explains a lot. It's a little curious that everyone who's broken through twice seems to have been a woman, but I'm chalking that up to it being something typically passed on and helped by someone who's already done that and selection bias from the people involved.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Every time I look at GG I bounce off it hard because I can't stand the samey melty faces or the terrible accent of the orcs(?).

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Every time I look at GG I bounce off it hard because I can't stand the samey melty faces or the terrible accent of the orcs(?).

I dropped GG from my list seven years ago and it was the right call because at that point it was still year 3 of non-stop castle bullshit.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cat Mattress posted:

Has that happened yet? I haven't read it in a year or so (maybe three?).

But yeah I'm happy to wait until it officially ends. : )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

PetraCore posted:

My favorite realization I've had about GG that I'm sure the characters involved won't find out for years is that Gil and Zeetha are absolutely siblings and probably twins.

EDIT: I'm just really excited for that shoe to drop! It's gonna be a good one!

Yeah, that'll be a fun reveal, and I suspect it'll coincide with with the reveal of what the heck is up with Zeetha's people. They could just live in another dimension, but my money is on the dark side of the moon or Mars or something ridiculous like that.