Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alaois posted:

hoo buddy you wasn't kiddin

serious flashes of Doug TenNapel's "Rat Man" in this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

ArchRanger posted:

This is the same person who like, doubled down on her right to use a racial slur a couple years ago, yeah?

Ugh, I hadn't heard about that.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

cropoval posted:

It is, yep. I hadn't even heard about the "refugees brought the world-ending virus" part of the comic until now, but it does not surprise me at all.

I jumped ship when I put two and two together there and smelt a rat well before this poo poo.

I am totally unsurprised, honestly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

cropoval posted:

It is, yep. I hadn't even heard about the "refugees brought the world-ending virus" part of the comic until now, but it does not surprise me at all.

It's a one-line mention in the first few pages of the comic's prologue. They say that the nationality of the refugees isn't known, but that's a route that's mostly traversed by sub-Saharan African refugees and, um, well...

habeasdorkus posted:

Ugh, I hadn't heard about that.

There's a bit of SSSS where they come across old books in a book store, and they find one written in Chinese script. Originally, one of the characters said something like "Oh, I've heard of that, it's 'Ching-Chong!'" and then when people said that was a kind of lovely, she changed it to them saying it was "Chinglish" and in some post-script text chortled about easily offended people.

e- actually looking back at the Wayback Machine she changed it to "Chinge-ling" and then "Kung Fu"

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 23, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:jebstare:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
what

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
uuuuhhh

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aw come on I just bought this avatar :(

edit: new avatar obtained

Xun fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 24, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Still a less racist scandinavian-centric webcomic than Scandinavia and the World.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Still a less racist scandinavian-centric webcomic than Scandinavia and the World.

The limbo pole has been interred in a shallow grave when you have to go "Well at least it's less racist than the Nazi-fetishist's comic."

And looking back her remark is even dumber than I remembered:

quote:

*Edit* Welp, looks like this page was way too much for the comment section, I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on and moderate the mess without losing way too much work time, so none of that today. I guess sometimes there's just a too big cultural difference between countries on what's meant as offensive or just as simple good natured ribbing without malice. Oh well.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's almost like it's real easy to be racist when you're in a country with very few minorities

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

SSSS is probably for the chop, no matter what she said, given the fate of that game project.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Im honestly genuinely worried for her based on the stuff I'm seeing. Did she experience some sort of major trauma or... what? What precipitated such a sudden and major change?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was apparently the pandemic. call it 9/11 Syndrome

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

GlyphGryph posted:

Im honestly genuinely worried for her based on the stuff I'm seeing. Did she experience some sort of major trauma or... what? What precipitated such a sudden and major change?

I'm also genuinely worried that the nutty evangelicals might gain someone with some artistic meme ability.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

COVID's hosed us all up is my guess.

quote:

But as so many other last year (2020), I was jolted out of my comfort. And through many turns God, by his providence, allowed me to undertand something of how truly sinful my nature is, and how little I deserve mercy. How no amount of doing good could ever make me righteous enough to deserve being in God's presence. I'm exceedingly prideful, self-righteous, greedy, covetous. There's so much spite and envy in my heart. So much love for myself and so little for God, even if I tried to excuse myself and pretend otherwise. And most of my life I'd belittled God and sneered at biblical Christianity, while elevating myself as more enlightened and wise as a progressivism-minded Atheist. Yet despite all this God granted me the gift of belief in His existance, and then, in late autumn of 2020, repentance and forgiveness throught his son Jesus Christ. I have nothing to fear.

There is so much pain in this paragraph and she doesn't even realize what's causing it. I hope she recovers.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Also, that NWO persecuted christians trope? That's old school anti-Semitic in origin, and it's extremely worrisome.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I read that she’s had issues with social anxiety (or agoraphobia) and just dedicates her days to drawing SSSS. That’s why it manages to update so frequently while maintaining good art: her life is nothing but drawing. It’s like the horror stories you hear about manga artists’ schedules, except entirely self-imposed.

She had been working on it, but then the pandemic happened. Which is not great when you’re trying to avoid spending your days in your house. I imagine it put her in a vulnerable enough position for anyone to step in and poison her mind.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, that NWO persecuted christians trope? That's old school anti-Semitic in origin, and it's extremely worrisome.

It's also deeply, deeply ingrained into Evangelical Christianity as a part of the "end times" and bunnies throwing away their phones was about the mildest take possible on that.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It's also deeply, deeply ingrained into Evangelical Christianity as a part of the "end times" and bunnies throwing away their phones was about the mildest take possible on that.

Yeah, the persecution complex is both just super useful as a rhetorical tactic, as well as built in to how christians view themselves as a whole, and in the scriptures themselves. "In the world but not of the world" and all that, along with Jesus saying multiple times that those who follow him will always be hated and persecuted by the world. And yeah, sometimes it goes hand-in-hand with antisemitism.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Serious question, but is there really any coming back from the uh...evangelical christian hole if you fall into it? Like I've heard of people who grew up in it getting out, but much less about people who got into it later...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

quote:

I'm exceedingly prideful, self-righteous, greedy, covetous.
She'll fit right in then.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

http://skin-horse.com/comic/2021-03-24/

Haven't been able to find out more about this but I hope this isn't the case. They can always choose to end it whenever but if this is true, aw man that sucks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Xun posted:

Serious question, but is there really any coming back from the uh...evangelical christian hole if you fall into it? Like I've heard of people who grew up in it getting out, but much less about people who got into it later...

Yes, but it tends to take time and what is essentially deprogramming. Not knowing her personally, I don't have an idea of how much her other beliefs have shifted as a result of her becoming born again but the whole NWO conspiracy theory is a sign that she might have thrown out everything as "tainted" by her earlier "sinfulness."

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hostile V posted:

Haven't been able to find out more about this but I hope this isn't the case. They can always choose to end it whenever but if this is true, aw man that sucks.

Wonder if this is connected at all to Abbadon's twitter thread yesterday. The internet seems designed to amplify the most negative voices.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Questionable Content: it happened :dance:

Seriously I am entirely too invested in the relationship between huge kind-hearted himbo and dumbass twink.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

shirts and skins posted:

Wonder if this is connected at all to Abbadon's twitter thread yesterday. The internet seems designed to amplify the most negative voices.

I thought this too.

Mikl posted:

Questionable Content: it happened :dance:

Seriously I am entirely too invested in the relationship between huge kind-hearted himbo and dumbass twink.

I ALSO thought this too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Hostile V posted:

Jesus, that's awful. gently caress going into someone's twitter mentions or on-site comic comments and doing that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hostile V posted:

I'm hoping this is just the run-up to an elaborate 'sometime else draws for a week' April Fools Day joke, but who the hell knows...

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I found a transcript from the last stream by Minna (SSSS lady):

:byodood:

(it's about BLM)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...”killing innocent people”

Uh

I think I’m gonna go with “yeah gently caress this author and they seem to have sucked well before joining a cult”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
:psyduck: people have been living in cities for over ten thousand years, what the gently caress

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I wonder if this chat should go to the industry terribleness thread.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

I wonder if this chat should go to the industry terribleness thread.

she's not an industry anything. she's just one person who has lost it

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Xun posted:

edit: new avatar obtained

some good came out of this whole fiasco :unsmith:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

...”killing innocent people”

Uh

I think I’m gonna go with “yeah gently caress this author and they seem to have sucked well before joining a cult”

Yeah, gently caress this poo poo. What an rear end in a top hat.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
here's abaddon's twitter thread, btw
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1374411484617273350
it's good advice for everybody

fun hater
May 24, 2009

perepelki posted:

here's abaddon's twitter thread, btw
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1374411484617273350
it's good advice for everybody

that is a good thread, thank you for sharing it

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I legit appreciate that he spells out, in no uncertain terms, he's not your friend and that's not the relationship you have with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hostile V posted:

quote:

shaenon
March 24, 2021, 5:20 am | Reply
The comments weren’t that bad; I just can’t take this stuff anymore. If people aren’t enjoying the comic, I don’t have to bother them with it.
Still hoping it is just an early April Fools, but it sounds like she means it.