Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The upcoming penny arcade 25th anniversary is going to be great. Will PvP make a cameo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

So someone in the PYF comics thread linked to this:

Clown Corps

And I'm loving it. It's both very silly and self-aware while taking its concept of a crack squad of crime-fighting battle clowns entirely seriously. Comic good.

This (cl)owns

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Tenebrais posted:

So someone in the PYF comics thread linked to this:

Clown Corps

And I'm loving it. It's both very silly and self-aware while taking its concept of a crack squad of crime-fighting battle clowns entirely seriously. Comic good.

Thank you for sharing. This owns.

I was wondering if there would be copaganda vibes, but instead the clowns are an organization that's kind of in the middle of being copified, and not everyone is happy about it. Comic is as smart as it is silly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I found Clown Corps impossible to read because the web layout is so loving idiotic. It adds a button that sends you to a random page, but only on pages where someone has left a comment. And that button appears in exactly the same location as the Next button on pages that don't have a comment.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

I found Clown Corps impossible to read because the web layout is so loving idiotic. It adds a button that sends you to a random page, but only on pages where someone has left a comment. And that button appears in exactly the same location as the Next button on pages that don't have a comment.

Odd, the Random button is there on every page for me. Not that a Random button is particularly helpful for this comic, but I assume that came stock with whatever webcomic page design the comic is using.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jedit posted:

you can click on the comic to get to the next page, it's fairly standard

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FunkyAl posted:

The upcoming penny arcade 25th anniversary is going to be great. Will PvP make a cameo?
Oh wow thats like the first time I've thought about PvP in like a decade.

Checking it out now its almost unrecognizable.

Like compare this page: http://pvponline.com/comic/2021-04-08

To the new readers section:
http://pvponline.com/new-readers

Naturally the Cast page is enormously incomplete and outdated (as is webcomic custom) but this is especially bad as pretty much the entire cast has been cycled out for new diverse characters since Kurtz hired a writer back in 2013.

Nice to see Kurtz living his dream of making videogame dilbert still though.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Dang clown corps is pretty rad!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Oh wow thats like the first time I've thought about PvP in like a decade.

Checking it out now its almost unrecognizable.

Like compare this page: http://pvponline.com/comic/2021-04-08

To the new readers section:
http://pvponline.com/new-readers

Naturally the Cast page is enormously incomplete and outdated (as is webcomic custom) but this is especially bad as pretty much the entire cast has been cycled out for new diverse characters since Kurtz hired a writer back in 2013.

Nice to see Kurtz living his dream of making videogame dilbert still though.

Some of the "this is unrecognizable" can be explained by Kurtz doing a time skip. The titular PVP was originally a video game magazine, which is obviously incredibly dated and anachronistic. Last year he just said "gently caress it, time skip forward" so he could get rid of that and also skip past the whole Covid thing because gently caress is trying to deal with that in your comic while also dealing with it every day depressing.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Dog Kisser posted:

Dang clown corps is pretty rad!

Can confirm that this webcomic is silly and rad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Kurtz is really going for Gabe's style.

I like Marcie apparently returns to the strip to tell Francis she's pregnant and then has since vanished from it again. That feels very Kurtz for some reason.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Ah yeah it's those guys but old. It's like doonesbury or funky winkerbean. And bless him, still doing captian planet jokes.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

MechaCrash posted:

Some of the "this is unrecognizable" can be explained by Kurtz doing a time skip. The titular PVP was originally a video game magazine, which is obviously incredibly dated and anachronistic. Last year he just said "gently caress it, time skip forward" so he could get rid of that and also skip past the whole Covid thing because gently caress is trying to deal with that in your comic while also dealing with it every day depressing.
I mean fair enough i guess. Bold of them to assume the pandemic will ever end though.

Some of these characters don't read as 'older' they read as 'simplified'. Like The old boss looks the part but sunglasses ponytail man and max power especially look like new younger characters imo.

Things change if you don't read a comic since 2011 I guess.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

The latest Oglaf is 100% punchlines after the first panel.

they posted some bonus ones on their twitter
https://twitter.com/Oglaf/status/1396443322932097024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Zlodo posted:

they posted some bonus ones on their twitter
https://twitter.com/Oglaf/status/1396443322932097024

"Had my first karate lesson. Turns out I'm really good." is gold.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
The website's still fairly barebones and placeholder for now, but I recently launched my new webcomic, shallowskin, for anyone here who enjoyed my work in the past.
You might note that this one is uh, considerably less ambitious than Poppy, narratively, lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At risk of being reductive, Clown Corps is basically My Clown Academia but as it turns out that's exactly my poo poo, who knew

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Morbi posted:

The website's still fairly barebones and placeholder for now, but I recently launched my new webcomic, shallowskin, for anyone here who enjoyed my work in the past.
You might note that this one is uh, considerably less ambitious than Poppy, narratively, lol

Oh man, I loved Poppy and was so sad when it died. Something smaller in scope and less ambitious, though, I am so incredibly down for that.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Xarbala posted:

At risk of being reductive, Clown Corps is basically My Clown Academia but as it turns out that's exactly my poo poo, who knew

Oh yeah it's definitely got that Squad Anime going on but it's silly and funny enough that it's definitely my poo poo too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stand Squad, that's a genre now.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
https://octopuspie.bigcartel.com/product/octopus-pie-the-other-side

The new Octopus Pie story is getting printed. Just ordered me a copy

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Wilde Life

Goddammit Oscar stop stepping on the same rake over and over again

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Hey! Is is clearly trying very very hard NOT to step on the rake this time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey! Is is clearly trying very very hard NOT to step on the rake this time.

Yeah this time he’s just getting totally screwed by a no win situation. Like yes objectively not going in there is the right idea but also then his conscience is beset with feelings of responsibility if she gets herself loving Podunked.

Sorry Oscar, you’re kinda hosed here

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Hazel and the spider lady saw Oscar from across the bar and just really dug his vibe.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Considering she works in a salon, betting we're getting some hair-based voodoo doll stuff.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Honestly, I'm impressed Oscar has held his poo poo together so well. Given what happened the last time a lady pressed him against a tree in the woods, I kind of expected him to have a full blown meltdown of some sort.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's certainly ruined the mood, at least. If anything I'm a little surprised it turned out she is just a normal girl having a bit of fun, rather than another monster trying to eat him.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meanwhile, I think QC really is going to do an arc where Pintsize realizes his entire existence has been being graded on the curve and nobody really likes or respects him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, I think QC really is going to do an arc where Pintsize realizes his entire existence has been being graded on the curve and nobody really likes or respects him.
It could play out as a really interesting metaphor for people realizing that their stupid edgy internet humor behavior doesn't fly in the real world and that if he wants to form meaningful connections, he'll need to learn that (and deal with the consequences of his past behavior).

Probably won't, but it could!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Or he pisses someone off and they just yeet him off a cliff and we never have to see him again.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

girl dick energy posted:

It could play out as a really interesting metaphor for people realizing that their stupid edgy internet humor behavior doesn't fly in the real world and that if he wants to form meaningful connections, he'll need to learn that (and deal with the consequences of his past behavior).

Probably won't, but it could!

Which would be a cool side effect of Jeph's "I got tired of drawing them so I gave every AI not recently introduced a new body or an overhaul" which isn't far off from "I got tired of my cast so here's some new characters".

As stated above, it could even if by accident turn out to be an interesting change from "this person hooks up with that person".

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/944

God drat it Oscar, where is your sense of self-preservation? You should know better by now!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Oscar is Boo Boo the Fool

officially

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm really reluctant to assign blame to Oscar because it's started to feel like a metaphor for gendered violence. If you flip the genders, it becomes way too on the nose. But with Oscar being a dude and the monsters he encounters women, it gives enough distance that the author could maybe do an effective reveal later on. Something to make the reader realize that, no, Oscar is not at fault for the bad things that happen to him just because he helped an old person who had fallen in the park, or trusted his date, or ignored the warnings of his friends about his roommate with demonstrated anger issues.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Yesterday in this town of 10,000 people I cashiered a woman who used to rent the room upstairs from topatoco. There is nothing else to this, but that that was kinda cool and the world is small.

I also met a man who bought two guitars from Mark David Chapman in Hawaii a week before he shot John Lennon. That's a stranger one.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
my webcomic is 8 years old today! wowza!

read it here http://www.aghoststorycomic.com/

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I've been turning something over in my mind for a while. I don't know if I really like where How to Be a Werewolf has been going with some stuff: https://www.howtobeawerewolf.com/

In this Urban Fantasy world, I guess certain werewolves just have magical Alpha powers that let them mind control lesser werewolves. And like, sure some characters in the comic find that off-putting, but I just find it to be a strange magical power to give out, I guess. Maybe that's residual Omegaverse energy tilting me? Then again, it also does the thing that bothers me about a lot of urban fantasy stories, where I think they're going for a "hidden magic society" but the magical stuff would be a net good to society, but we can't let all the dirty muggles know about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is the magic stuff a secret in HTBAW? Everyone seems pretty open about it. If they're trying to hide their stuff from the mortals they really don't seem to be trying very hard.

I think the magical Alpha powers are more of an earned thing than an inborn one? Malaya managed to do it and she isn't otherwise special. It doesn't seem like they can do it with just anyone, either, I think it's more of a pack relationship thing.