Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yeah, I can see that but I'm pretty sure that's just Duane's thing. Like he uses extremely purple prose and references theater all the time. He's a giant nerd.

Duane is a giant nerd, and worse, he's a highly educated giant nerd who adores the Continental tongue, so he speaks like someone who was born with a university English department shoved up his butt.

e: he's still not alone in that, though, the dialogue in Unsounded definitely suffers from an overabundance of affect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Overruled. Continue inserting words into BotL's mouth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
SU itself is also just plain ugly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that loving hairblade

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Isn't Penny arcade done by unpaid interns now

There's never been any confirmation but the art's become so uneven that it's not an unfair guess.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

As cliche as it is to say, whoa Poppy.

this prose is really bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The switch to this prose/comic format has made the pacing significantly worse and I can't put my finger on how.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
God dammit, Avshalom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gently caress offfffffffff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, let's be serious: how many characters do you think will still be alive when the story is over?

(The only obvious choice is "Rocky, still having learned nothing".)

If anything Rocky's been coming apart faster than anyone else in the cast. In more ways than one!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Victor seems like an obvious choice for first major character death, maybe Mordecai and Serafine/Nicolai somewhere down the line. The three adorable kids, not a chance in hell. They'll be hit by some hardships, like Rocky's injury, but I think Tracy Butler is too pure-hearted and too enamoured with them for them to actually kick the bucket. The comic has a whimsical streak that's absolutely integral to its tone and what makes it enjoyable for the author to make in the first place, and having one of those three die would kill that part of the comic 100% dead.

The whimsy's kind of been gone for a while, except maybe when the Savoys are around. It's still plenty goofy in side-strips but for like half the main comic's run it's just been steadily deepening poverty, desperation and moral turpitude.

Even Rocky's gone from "ha ha" funny to "strained chuckle while eyeing possible escape routes" funny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Has it really though

It wasn't that many pages ago that Rocky wrote an elaborate wake up message on Ivy's wall with makeup. I think there was a sentient pancake in the drawing.

Considering he did that after absconding from her dorm room with a gaping head wound, I'd call that a "strained chuckle" kind of moment.

All of Rocky's antics have gained this nasty edge after he hinted at why he had to leave town in the first place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.scarygoround.com/index.php?date=20180306

And with this, Zebus becomes a very strong contender for "Best Next Generation Mystery Kid".

i give props to allison for going "sigh guess i'll have to continue my comic that i wanted to quit, i'll just make a whole new cast of next-gen characters and you will love them all"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The kid is 15, 6'2"

jesus christ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stormgale posted:

Woah... poppy.

I can't tell if petunia is just serious or poppy is literally moving too fast for her face to react

it's the latter, her eyes are still focused on the boulder she was punching and not on the incoming hand

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i feel like stand still stay silent may be wrapping up unless some serious chicanery happens on the way back to jolly old iceland

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ava's demon has probably the most repellent cast i've ever seen in a webcomic that wasn't about videogames

ava herself is merely stammering and passive but absolutely everyone else is so awful

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Well they are fifteen.

the millennia-old demon aliens are horrible too!

and so is the robot of indeterminate age and gender, though they do (well, did) have a fantastic haircut

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

SGR: I’m trying to think if there’s anything worse than being the Guy Fieri of unboxing. I guess maybe being a rapist, maybe.

but you repeat yourself

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

It's more of a South America thing, I reckon? One Hundred Years of Solitude, House of Spirits, Like Water For Chocolate.

Love & Rockets supposedly has elements of it but I still haven't read it.

its most well-known originator was colombian but at this point it can't really be claimed by any one culture

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Oh, my bad, didn't mean it to be about cultural appropriation, just that I couldn't think of works like that outside of that region.

salman rushdie's the first one that always comes to my mind

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vonnie posted:

Welp, Poppys dead.

at first i thought you meant the comic itself and my next thought was "finally, took long enough"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
apparently she also tried to solicit doxx of the person who called her out on it?

webcomics drama is a dismal scene

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rip ava's demon, slain by the "AND THEN THEY ALL hosed" bird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Zebra Girl matured about as deftly as any other webcomic I've seen. The only other one that pulled itself out of zany-comedy doldrums into more intricate storytelling with as much success that I've read is Sam & Fuzzy, which never really left the humor behind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we have spent eight months on a single fight scene

i clock this as a comic update rate of 0.35 paranaturals

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
awful hospital just had a crucial enemy encounter whose outcome was dependent on the commenters submitting a lengthy and cogent plea in emoji

it was a resounding success

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Yeah some poo poo is going down.

i haven't kept up with vattu in a long time but i read up to the latest update and ohhh dear, this is all going to get a lot worse before it gets better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fact that vattu is so much more grounded than rice boy and order of tales is making the plot way more inescapably bleak, too

there's no kind of mystic quest that can save you from politics

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Like that one guy from waaaay long ago who kept singing that Bah Ram Ewe song from back around the gang fight story.

fazzi's lucky star gives her vocal chords squarewave properties so it's probably like getting serenaded by a fax machine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

iospace posted:

That's one of those webcomics I should totally read but haven't :smith:

it sputtered out pretty badly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

where are you getting this idea from lmao

author just needed to take a break because when you make webcomics on any kind of consistent multiweekly schedule you are living and breathing making that webcomic

sometimes you need a vacation after working daily for four years

i'm not talking about breaks, the strip-to-strip pacing started to suffer badly from chapter 4(?) onward

it suffered from the same issues Paranatural had, they just didn't set in quite as quickly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the one strip where a person sees peter pan outside and he says "flying is easy, you just have to think positive thoughts" and the person quietly shuts the window, draws the blinds and goes to bed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also largely obsolete now that the concept of the singularity has been superseded by imminent climate apocalypse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the only two comics i've seen that successfully transitioned from zany early-oughts Jhonen Vasquez fare to actual drama were Sam & Fuzzy and Zebra Girl, and while the latter did it with more elegance the former managed to stay reasonably funny even after the change

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's gone the dr mcninja route of taking absurdist concepts and incorporating them into a functional narrative framework (in S&F's case it's mostly about the disintegration of identity and morality) instead of just jazz-handsing at a ninja polar bear or a malevolent refrigerator and waiting for the APPLAUSE sign to light up

whether or not it's successful is a different matter but at least it shows significant growth on the creator's part

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kojiro posted:

Oh heck yeah, heard too much about people dying at 50 after working on manga on 3 hours sleep a night to gently caress up in that particular manner :v:

sounds like an upside to me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

How well do you have to know them?

when you think about it, do any of us really know anyone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tollymain posted:

lmao pascalle lepas is ramping the horror in previous chapters of wilde life w a burning monster truck

cliff's life seems unpleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

This is completely off topic, but I'm intensely curious. Why do you seem so... engrossed? No, obsessed? Maybe. I guess infatuated, with the general concepts and ideas of egg laying, birds/chickens, anal... reverse birthing? Unbirthing? And webcomics and people/yourself being bodily intertwined? It's just, such a weird gimmick to have. I'm not trying to like, call you out or anything, I genuinely wanna know at this point.

question not the ways of avshalom