Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah I love Poppy, and I love the IDEA of the joke, but in practice it was just kind of jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Poppy may have changed but Boris remains the best there ever was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be brother :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Onean posted:

Before he did Undertale, Toby Fox apparently did some music commissions, and Mary asked for a battle theme for her Kiwi Blitz comic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3wuSl7wUww

:eyepop:

Two of my favorite artists apparently go great together!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

Oglaf what the gently caress

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

The whimsy's kind of been gone for a while, except maybe when the Savoys are around. It's still plenty goofy in side-strips but for like half the main comic's run it's just been steadily deepening poverty, desperation and moral turpitude.

Even Rocky's gone from "ha ha" funny to "strained chuckle while eyeing possible escape routes" funny.

Has it really though

It wasn't that many pages ago that Rocky wrote an elaborate wake up message on Ivy's wall with makeup. I think there was a sentient pancake in the drawing.

I don't really buy the idea that the whimsy is gone. This seems like the kind of story where a lot of people die or are ruined by their inescapable vortex of choices, but Ivy and Freckle come out of it alive but changed by the experience.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Dude must be amazingly charismatic in person, though, to inspire that kind of loyalty. To convince people who are working on The Ripping Friends to think "This is groundbreaking, important stuff; stuff that's going to make my career! I should probably just keep my mouth shut about him showing me those photos of unconscious teen girls and/or his genitals."

Do not attribute to charisma what can be much much more easily attributed to simple unwillingness to rock the boat. :smith:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I really don't want the Linton/Mildred Power Duo to ever end. It is a perfect ouroboros of mutual antagonism. :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm happy for anything where Linton manages to break the surface of the sea of lust that's drowned his character for years, even if it's just for a moment.

I’ll admit, Linton’s Special Combo Move was still a pretty good moment out of his previous Horny incarnation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

iospace posted:

Yeah that's one webcomic less on my feed.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What is Andrew Hussie even up to these days

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

So, did petunia's dad kill two people or...?

I think the implication is that he expected Petunia and Poppy to kill each other, then filled the holes after he resolved to stop them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

God drat it Kojiro why do your characters have to be so likable it's making it hard for me to stay salty about the fact that we're not currently following Sid and Harry :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Penny Arcade isn’t really two gamers and a couch comics. It’s dad comics. I’ve never understood the rancor, it’s generally pretty wholesome and inoffensive

I mean Gabe is still kind of a mediocre person but the comic itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dickwolves was almost a decade ago but was indeed legit bad and why I cited Gabe being a kinda lovely person.

It’s fair to say that while he deserves every bit of poo poo he’s ever gotten for the dickwolves thing, and more, it’s pretty unrepresentative of their material for a long time. It’s Dad Comics top to bottom.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's literally everything you need to know about Ninja. Well, except that he also refuses to stream with women for some weird, tortured logic reason.

What

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Modern AU Widdershins is the cutest poo poo in the universe.

While originally my balls were bluer than the sky at switching PoV to a new cast of characters after the conclusion of the previous long running arc, I appreciate why it made sense to do and Knotty/Will/Eliza have been a fantastic addition to the world. :3:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

It's possible, but I'm reading less self-hating and more cognitive dissonance.

His life's work is a comic strip that leans heavily on regressive and misogynistic humor, which he feels bad about on some level, but he's invested so much of his identity in it that it's painful to confront it head-on, so he's latched on to LIBERALS ARE THE REAL SEXISTS. That way he can pretend that he's actually fightin' the good fight with his regressive and misogynistic humor, so instead of having to feel bad about it he gets to feel good.

Nah, that's not what's going on here. He's thoroughly repudiated his old regressive misogynistic humor, it's just he's taking lessons on how to be leftist from insane second wave feminists/terfs, in part because I believe he dated one. So now he's just mutated like a Chaos Spawn into a different flavor of regressive.

And so he was "rehabilitated" into uh...this. All of this nonsense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I love Never Satisfied to pieces but yeah, gonna generally agree that this particular instance of Broom Girl hyper competence is breaking my suspension of disbelief a tad.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sylas is probably one of the Never Satisfied kids with the Least Problems. Or at least the least problems that hurt other people.

His completely unreciprocated crush on Philomena is a problem, but given that his initial pompousness caved so fast into transparent overwhelming depression...dude seems pretty harmless. So far anyway.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't think it's Kokoro. Gabby is looking at someone specific when she says "that girl", and it doesn't seem likely she'd use indefinite pronouns to refer to someone who's not even in the room.

Might be Bud. Might be Vedika. Probably Bud.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in Cagletown, Thirteen jumps in partly to save Jones from her own stupidity, but mostly to save Benzene from becoming a killer.

I appreciate that he clearly would have killed Jones if she hadn't intervened.

Yeah that shot was going clean through center mass but for android intervention. Jones you are too dumb to live.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I want to see Cassidy get suplexed into the earth's core.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I am seriously concerned that we haven't seen Fidelia's face since she bust in here, there seem to be equal chances that she'll be actually crying/etc emotionally or leering like a hungering ghoul. :ohdear:

I think your first mistake is seeing them as mutually exclusive. Fidelia can be actually crying and emotional but also be a hungering ghoul. :shepface:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RIP Harry in Widdershins, she had a good run.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nimby posted:

I wouldn't put it past the bear to know that the house Oscar lives in is the house with a ghost haunting it. Bear can put two and two together.

Though the bear would probably have told Eliza. Oscar's gonna lose some friends when the word gets out.

Eliza knows about Sylvia. This is not the revelation you think it is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In Widdershin news, really appreciating Sidney's dad's popeye the sailor man arms :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So we're all reading Widdershins, right? Sid's dad rules, right?

I literally cannot look at a panel he's in without hearing the Popeye song

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hostile V posted:

This is true and ultimate label quibbling but I Worry Needlessly sometimes.

Good avatar/post combo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you want bastard teens trying and sometimes succeeding at growing up and being less of bastards Never Satisfied does it better.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I don't mean to alarm anyone but Widdershins is a good and cool comic for handsome people.

Really loving the way all the threads from the original Vincent/Eliza/Will chapter have woven into this extended denouement. Heckin' efficient.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Frankly I still can’t get past the utter stupidity of KIMIKO THUNDERBOLT ROSS. What an absolutely ridiculous name. It tells you everything you need to know right out the gate. “Yes hello this is my vaguely woman shaped fetish doll with which I will act out all the media I have most recently consumed, but horny”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The worst timeline is the one where Willis keeps making comics reusing the same characters over and over and over again until the end of time

Wait

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

I think part of it is that once something gets categorized as 'bad' in goons eyes an arms race starts over who can wring the most outrage/disgust out of every possible aspect of it regardless of wether its warranted or not and that kinda attitude leads to some people in the other thread getting upset at casual nudity but only when the bad comic does it.

See also the Dominic Deegan thread which is like 70% performative outrage 30% good posting about a bad comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's not, though? We (as in, the current DD thread) only look at the comic and the blogs he publicly posts. We're good about shutting down speculation about his family and never, ever touch the poop.

They said speculation about him and his personal life, which your creepy psychopath thread 100% does.

Dominic Deegan is super bad but the lovely mock thread verges into 1984 5 minute hate territory with each person climbing over each other to make the most bombastic claims about how it's the worst thing ever. It's insufferable.

Stop it. Get some help.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This new chapter of Widdershins is going places :allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironic Twist posted:

How are husks created, again? I was under the impression that no one in the comic knew

We still aren’t entirely sure. Rin’s reaction to her familiar being destroyed suggests that a familiar being destroyed isn’t normally quite so big a deal so there has to be some extenuating circumstances at play.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Really loving this QC storyline of "all ace people are literally Entrapta beep boop"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I'll take "things only ever said ironically" for 100, Alex

You found me out

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Lucy’s motivation is to show up magic users due to deep seated inferiority/self worth issues.

The representative is a vaguely defined special agent/deputy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Really? I got the self loathing bit, but does it actually say anywhere that's their reason for signing up? "I hate myself, therefor I'll compete for a job I'm entirely unqualified for, gently caress wizards"?

No, it pretty much relies on the reader to pick up on subtext. It's absolutely present, but it is never narrated at you or anything.

Actually that's not true. They all but say it outright when strangling gently caress You Got Mine Girl.