Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Death Ray posted:

I may not be striking the right note, but I am not trying to make the Federation "bad", just no better or worse than, say, America is today.

so bad, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Science Fiction:
Moképon: A "mature" Pokémon fan comic that actually looks at the Pokémon world from a mature adult perspective instead of your average grimdark teenage "mature" take on the franchise.

so like, does the main character ever stop being completely insufferable? I'm 72 comics in and I kind of hate him

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sorry, I have trouble reading things that focus on people so unlikable that I don't want to know them, especially when they're not even funny. I get enough of those people outside of my entertainment.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this is excellent and adorable and I love it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I just have a list of bookmarks, sorted by what day a comic is updated.

I do this, except without the sorting.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...holy poo poo, this is one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Relative size is a basic visual cue used to allow viewers to tell characters apart without severely constraining your design to the few consistent signature differences you care to adhere to (this is the Only Red Guy in my show. nobody else wears red, ever), and is absolutely vital to giving a sense of spatial relations in a 2D medium. This may be less of a big deal in a series where everyone is Red Triangle Guy or Blue Oval Girl and they all just sit around in a void talking forever (I've never watched Steven Universe and never will)

Yeah, no, people are complaining about whether a giant monster-sized smashy lady is as tall as a skyscraper or only as tall as like two houses.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Even if he does, she'll still be a central character in the strip and an active agent in the story.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What, for good this time?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I just don't believe he'll really let it all go. He'd said he was sick of writing the Bobbins cast when he switched to Bad Machinery, and you've seen how that went. Hell, I'd be unsurprised if he'd said it when Bobbins ended.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kojiro posted:

Ta! It's been fun to wrap up a bunch of plots.

Is this going to be the final arc, or moving into new stories after?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kojiro posted:

There's more in the works, just wanted to cap off the deadly sins arc stuff first. Wanna get that ratio of introducing plots and actually resolving them correct, y'know?

Good plan, yeah. I'm glad - this could've been the finale, and I love the setting and want to see more of it. The magic system is really fascinating, with the emotion stuff you've got going with it. I've wondered before about how to translate it into game rules, though never with any real effort.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bongo Bill posted:

Good news: Looks like he's gone back and tagged all the comics, and Tumblr has a secret chronological view feature. So if you want to read, for instance, all of Magical Merlin, you could open up the "magicalmerlin" tag to view all the Magical Merlin comics (unless he forgets to tag one), and then stick "/chrono" at the end of it to view it in chronological order instead of reverse chronological order, like this.

...how did that feature ever even get discovered, tumblr has less documentation than my sneakers

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's because half the characters at this point are self-inserts.

joyce: david willis but girl
danny: david willis but bi
walky: david willis but black
ruth: david willis but lesbian
carla: david willis but car

...walky was black?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...Sal was black?

No, seriously, I read all of Roomies and most of It's Walky and never realized that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Does anyone know what, exactly, Hiveworks does? They say they're a webcomic-focused comics publisher, but they don't seem to be like the old comics collectives at all, and they support comics I know have had to go to Kickstarter when they went to print, like Let's Speak English. Do they just pay for website hosting???

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ahahahahaha he really can't let his comfort blanket go. Perhaps he could compromise by doing another Giant Days: take one established character and stick them in a entirely new environment, with new people? It worked for Esther.

Nah. Bobbins will never die.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fangz posted:

http://kateordiecomics.com/archive/dont-be-a-dick/

I follow Kate btw. She's not an arsehole.

Okay, cool. I'm kinda unfairly putting you all in one blob here. It just peeved me off when people started unleashing from their HEY THIS IS MY STANDARD RESPONSE TO THIS ARTIST arsenals. I'm not saying you have to like zenpencils, it's not like my opinion of him is even very high.

I hate to be the one to inform you of this, but people on this forum like to poo poo on and make fun of things they don't like when the topic comes up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You may want to take a step back, relax, and consider if this is really a hill you want to die on, or if perhaps your life may be improved by doing something else.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fangz posted:

I thought I'm supposed to offer constructive criticism from my place of love so you can all self reflect and improve your posts?

Okay, I guess I'll try not being nice:

Your posts are lovely and you've decided to make the thread about you and your fuckin' meltdown over, of all things, Zen Pencils and people disliking it for the wrong reasons. Please stop posting, or instead post about webcomics.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty much everything that happens to him since dumping Esther is weird to me and seems to be happening to a different character than the one I enjoyed reading about in SGR.

(So was dumping Esther.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

amigolupus posted:

Wait, did Eustace dump Esther? I know Esther cheated on him the first week she got into college, but I thought she confessed about it and the two just awkwardly fell apart.

I remember it happening but, well, I got into SGR for The Boy And Esther Have Cute Adventures for the most part and so I kind of starting to fall out around the time that happened and it was confirmed for me that yes, this would be about Shelly Winters forever, so I may be misremembering.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I've been doing some random-walking on Hiveworks and Webtoon and I'm gonna recommend a few of the highlights I've been finding that way. (All are pretty much SFW, because I read them during work downtime.)

StarHammer: A teenage girl in a society full of superheroes inherits an extremely powerful alien/supertech hammer from a disgraced superheroine by accident. Life gets complicated.
The Automan's Daughter: In an alternate history in which the Ottoman Empire is a world superpower and there are giant robot fighting leagues, a young woman (and niece of the head of a major robot-making company) tries to be a mechanic despite patriarchal society, a disapproving mother and sinister French plots against her family. Slow-paced but I love the art style.
Tigress Queen: A wealthy prince must marry a barbarian warrior-queen to secure a peace treaty. He has no desire to do this, and she has no respect for his country anyway. Not many pages, but it's gorgeous.
[un]Divine: An rear end in a top hat teenager on a small and extremely religious Hispanic island summons a demon at the cost of his soul, in an effort to make his life not suck. The demon is cute and helpful, except for the part where the kid pukes blood constantly now. Has a pretty neat religion that is more than the Not Catholicism it first seems to be.
My Giant Nerd Boyfriend: A journal comic about a short Chinese-Malaysian girl and her giant nerd boyfriend. Not anime in the slightest.
Just For Kicks: Slice-of-life about a Taekwondo club at some university nebulously in North America. Kind of anime.
Check Please: Slice-of-life about a tiny gay boy from Georgia joining a college hockey team in Massachusetts. Extremely cute. Uses some weird slideshow thing for its comics, which takes some getting used to.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I took a look at that and it looked good, but I decided to read it at home and not at work because titties.

e: Oh hey, Yale Stewart (the artist of JL8) is doing a 50% off sale on all stuff in his store to finance his move, including original art from the strip.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 30, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is a good, good comic, and I wish lovely got to complain about law school even more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So, I've been reading Demon Street, a comic about kids who travel to a mysterious demon world via streets that just kind of replaced existing ones with demon ones. It's real cool! But also real weird. The weirdest part, tho, is that it changes art styles extremely often for no reason that I can tell. Like, the character designs stay the same but suddenly the art style has changed entirely. Is there any rhyme or reason to these changes?

:iiam:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

Hey what's with this "Dinosaur Comics" crap? The guy only drew one comic!

Am I missing something totally obvious, then? 'cause I could be dumb, that is always a possibility.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I expect most of the people you give money to will be mad at Patreon, not you. Keep an eye out for other services as they get going to capitalize on this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Scaramouche posted:

I think I saw it in the LP forum somewhere they posted an updated breakdown of where the increase was going and it mostly seemed to be PayPal.

Or Patreon themselves - they pocket any fees beyond the first per patron and per creator.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

Is the Internet actually a good place for comics? If the income of 60% (rough estimate, just ballparkin it here fellas) of successful webcomics is tied into the success and profit-making potential of a third party venture capital nonsense firm with a four year half life that exerts no editorial interest in whatever content it "funds," what does that say about the health of the "industry"? Shouldn't comics be easier to make money from than this? They used to sell this poo poo on f-grade paper for children's pocket change and somehow made enough of a profit/cultural cachet for everyone on earth to know who "superman" is

"Can webcomics even be a thing" is kind of a strange question to ask in this, TYOOL Two Thousand And Seventeen.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Please, continue to tell the webcomics thread that actually, webcomics are a terrible idea.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

truly, the best and only way to experience art and to survive financially in the comics world is the kinko's-printed zine

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

just look at all those people who support themselves financially on the backs of copybook zines

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am feeling a really solid Christian thing going there, with the One Who Is Three. With the solidly BE NOT AFRAID angels I am hoping we get equally old school imagery from her.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You know, you're right, the only place your comics should be seen is in a hand-copied, hand-stapled, hand-mailed product that never sees the internet, or indeed the light of day.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kid Radd, comma, the only good thing to ever come out of sprite comics

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The only good thing to come out of 8-Bit Theatre was Brian Clevinger.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

truly, there is no more zero-sum game than the webcomics game

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

tinaun posted:

wigu is the the normal of webcomics and I kinda miss it

I thought this said nermal and it was a better time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I know some fantasy stuff has done a push to use 'Ser' rather than the gendered 'Sir' or 'Lady' but that always strikes me as weird because if you say it it's just 'sir'.