Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I've been reading Schlock Mercenary for about half my life now. I'm 33.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I'm mostly confused about why there are galactic mercenaries in the first place. With the level of technology being what it is, the Schlock universe should be a peaceful utopia.

Or a hellscape run by AI or an AI-assisted regime.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although offhandedly I'm not sure what you mean, they're not really in a post-scarcity society. They still get their food out of cans.

They have as good as limitless energy and nano-bots that give actual immortality.

It looks like it not just revisiting it, but retelling the flashback!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I stopped reading it years ago after the whole Petey Entity and Gatekeeper War stuff where suddenly the koala AI was an unstoppable god-being.

Did things get walked back from that?

There is now another unstoppable god-being with guns that shoot through teleports and it's seemingly gone rogue.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Why are we talking about PFSC a bunch, did the Artist Formerly Known As John Campbell do something crazy recently? It doesn't even have demons in it, what is this thread becoming.

What are you talking about? It has a lot of inner demons, it's a perfect fit.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

The gently caress was he doing that for? Just start up a Patreon like every other webcomic artist under the sun, dude.

He has a custom made Patreon that is set up per update, he's posted in the past that many of the backers cancel their cards or something so he doesn't get the full amount each time. He's also bad at sticking to a schedule and earlier this year (I think) his game plan was to have a skip or 2 every month (in a 2 updates a week schedule) without informing his readers.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Teenage werewolf Clifford is being stalked by experienced shapeshifter Raven, who has gone from "let's be friends based on mutual magical powers" to "you should abandon your ties to mere mortals" to "I will stalk you relentlessly" to "I am so crazy it is literally causing me to melt" over the course of, oh, let's say, twenty-four hours.

He mentioned he had something under his skin that was driving him mad, he felt like he had to infect Clifford to keep it at bay or something.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Doesn't Patreon have an option that's already "I only get paid when I do an update"?

Yeah, but he's got a non-Patreon patreon setup on his site, called the Toolshed. People who sponsor him are Tools.

He's also got 4 people working on his comic/site, which is insane when you realize it updates twice a week with a skip now and then and the quality isn't super amazing like K6BD or something.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh, good, I’m not the only one who’s completely lost the plot...

Shlock's plot: some things happen. Someone realizes a new worst case scenario they didn't anticipate. That thing happens.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I've always thought Higgs was more of a super-spy that's been places and knew things, it never occured to me before this latest plotline that he'd be anything else.

Rereading some parts now it makes more sense, but this comic's been going on for so long that I've forgotten so much.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I still like Girl Genius and actually liked their time in the castle, but I've reread a bunch of it now and holy poo poo that started like 10 years ago. Sure doesn't feel like a lot of story has happened since then.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

I admit I wasn't expecting eyeball planet genocide brain scooping from space when this chapter of Schlock Mercenary started.

It was to be expected the day Tayler wrote a comic where that possibilty was raised, because he always does this in storylines. Writes some far-out techs or strategies or ambushes that might happen, then without fail later down the storyline they happen/get employed.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well there are like 7 members of that civilization left. One of them joined the mercenaries and got dissected by the UNS to make some of the immortality mods that they've been abusing lately. You'd think he'd come up more often with all this dead civilization talk.

Once someone dies he/she's pretty much forgotten by the entire crew.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

He also stopped making his long running comic like 4 or 5 years ago.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Schlock Mercenary started 19 years and nearly 2 weeks ago.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Haha I didn't even realize it was a Three Stooges thing. Partly cause they're not as big a thing in Europe, partly because it goes so slow I just didn't notice it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Schlock Mercenary was one of the first webcomics I came across and still follow it daily.

If I discovered it today I think I wouldn't bother.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Schlock Mercenary is in it's last storyline and ending next summer I think.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd point out that Wooster actually IS dead.

Until he somehow returns later.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

oriongates posted:

Undead Friend, the comic I do with my wife, has just passed 400 pages on its reboot.

Me and my wife are now reading it, it's fun and good.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

"Forget about OOTS for a while and then come back and binge" is a common and probably very good way to read it.

There's stretches of its run that you could do that and come back to 15 new pages.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

There's ultimately only one comic that answered the question of how superheroes can better society as a whole.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

3 posted:

gonna emergency retool ADS into gag-a-day i guess

You could go the other way and keep expanding the scope and eventually try to turn it into an animated series.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Airspace posted:

It took me a while to realize that the spy died because of this.

It's Girl Genius, I'm still not convinced he died.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Girl Genius is going to keep going until the Foglios decide to retire I'm sure. It's been obvious for a few years that while they have a story to tell, they're in no hurry to finish it because they like writing (and getting paid for) it.

According to Wikipedia Phil is 64, so he's probably still got a few years left in him

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Wittgen posted:

This character in Wilde Life who seems to save the world and help people purely to spite people they don't like? Very good.

I'm very much liking the character. Seem like a dude with an ex wife he loathes, who was into world-saving epic adventure and he stole one of her strongest artifacts because gently caress you. Now he's using up part of the artifact to save some non-name boring regular human doing something he very much doubts will actually work.

More works of fiction can use people like this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Agatha is going to turn out to be her own mother after a time travel gently caress-up.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

oriongates posted:

That hit close to home. I actually had to hold a mini-intervention for NJ to get her to stop redrawing the earlier chapters of Undead Friend.

Tell her if she does that I'll stop reading.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Today in Girl Genius: “For me, it was last month!” Agatha cries, mourning the death of a character in 2006.

Yeah I looked it up as well cause at first I didn't even remember who the hell Lars was. Even from Agatha's pov it can't have been just a month, right?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

I used to like the White Faced Bear but today's update of Wilde Life has me thinking he can go gently caress himself.

He's not wrong though. Dude keeps a ghost around because she's good company, instead of finding out what's keeping her a ghost and helping her move on.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Malpais Legate posted:

The bear doesn't know that, though? The bear just doesn't want Oz around because reasons.

I wouldn't put it past the bear to know that the house Oscar lives in is the house with a ghost haunting it. Bear can put two and two together.

Though the bear would probably have told Eliza. Oscar's gonna lose some friends when the word gets out.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eliza knows about Sylvia. This is not the revelation you think it is.

Ugh, I need to reread it all because clearly I'm starting to forget stuff.

Not an 'ugh' that I have to reread Wilde Life, but that I'm forgetting.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Schlock Mercenary had entered the epilogue. I feel like this last storyline was missing a few beats, but I've always felt that Howard wraps up his stories kinda fast do he can focus on the overlong build-up to the next one.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The ending definitely did not do the entire story justice. A lot of stuff just happened because they had to, with no explanation of how and why. Still a feat I'd never pull off though, it's easy to criticize but hard to actually do.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, if things had gone differently, it really could've been something... awful.

The main character turns out to be a serial abuser who's a grifter that lacks a spine?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

SFP started strong as a story wherein Supergirl discovers she can't punch societal issues to fix them and ended sucky because the character growth was "let a vigilante assassin go on with her work, develop an app, punch the mental health issues out of her mind controlling boyfriend"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe they'll finally get to fixing the time-stop in Mechanicsburg soon. Like another issue or 3-4 soon.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Klaus shoved a document under their noses and in their various states of frenzy, the blood splatters landed on the dotted line. A contract signed in blood is going to have some effect on even the most monstrous creature if it's crafted by a spark

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

GG gets away with reusing the previous stories because it takes so long to tell it, you've forgotten you've already read it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

That baby is so jazzed about everything :3:

That baby is so jizzed about everything.