Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The big Jeanne stuff was just three chapters ago. If you think that plotline is at its resolution with no furhter consequences, you're too zoomed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just googled it. Apparently there was criticism of their lack of diversity, and they handled it really badly (the latter part is why the boycott).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm really happy to learn he's making comics that I can go read now, but Twitter is the worst possible place to post comics. When I click to focus on an image it usually gets smaller.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, Toby Fox's music there was described by GGDG as perfectly descriptive of every Nightmare Knight fight until our story's incarnation. Or something along those lines. It's great. (and he also wrote something as Noisemaster theme music which is pretty perfect).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wait...so Tackleford's been running on 1:1 time all along? That raises so many questions!
I don't think that's exactly right. Within any given story, it's not 1:1 time. But every so often when there's a big time skip, it's caught up to IRL present day.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Why are we assuming Scout definitely meant "half-sisters" when she said "step-sisters"? Riley remarrying doesn't seem impossible.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dabir posted:

Cause Allison has gone back and changed it to half sisters now.
Ah, alright. That's what I get for reading first drafts.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This take makes the most sense to me out of what I've seen: Patreon doesn't want to be a "money services business"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Why is Scout (the non time-travelling one) even at that party.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, it's been possible to figure that "the world is a literal living being" for a while now, I'm just disappointed in myself for not predicting the pun.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fortis posted:

Des just kicked the door open and knocked Scout flat on her face, calling it now.

Oh god, I didn't see it, but you are 100% correct.

EDIT: lol at Shelley hanging out in the redhead corner. This party is clearly an excuse for John to draw various forgotten characters together at his whim.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 15, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

John Allison has been listening to podcasts, everyone.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Willo567 posted:

This probably has already been discussed before, but has anyone read A Better Place

https://tapas.io/episode/87972

It's about the adventures of a girl who gains the power to create anything

Hilarity ensures!

Yeah, this is Very Good. Binged it a bit too fast, though. Oh well, three day weekend.

Also, read the text below each page in the "author comment" space. After the first few (dozen? several?) it's usually a snippet of world-building and character-building that I'm glad to have read.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The actual chapters of Bad Machinery are very good and don't lean on the old comics at all. In the margins between official "The Case Of the _____" chapters though, he's fallen into the habit of writing comics that don't really fit into any category, bringing in characters from sgr and bm and at one point even reviving "bobbins" a couple times.

I recommend just looking at the BM archive and clicking on the book covers to read the stuff that is well-written and self-contained.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Chapter 2 is twice as long as Chapter 1. Chapter 3 is only a little longer than Chapter 2, but it's clearly only the first half of an arc that would have been a single chapter. Chapter 4 aims to finish the arc started in Chapter 3, but meanders and is mostly about a new character the author is really excited about. By now the events of Chapter 2 feel mythological ages ago even though in-fiction it's only been half a day, so Chapter 5 is all about resolving the epic-feeling sub-plot of a sub-plot of a sub-plot that's become the entire story now -- and it's as long as the first three chapters put together. Chapter 6 started in 2015 and has four pages so far.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alex, what is "the average of all story-based webcomics"?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Max moved to (I forget the name of the town because it's been a decade) two days ago. The relationship between Isaac, Isabel and Ed has undergone way more than two days of evolution, but I can kinda accept that because they're middle-schoolers.

Lots of other comics, ostensibly featuring adults, have the same problem where you can tell, even just reading through a bunch of finished pages, that the story developed over a way longer period than its characters and world supposedly experienced. People who two hours ago were reluctant associates are now die-hard teammates because the last hour felt like a year, for some reason. Every location seems to become the entire world remarkably quickly. A fact that is a new mind-blowing revelation becomes a commonly-understood part of the world in a weirdly short amount of time.

Most recently I noticed this reading through A Better Place and Demon's Mirror, but I feel like it's pretty widespread. (I want to point fingers at Ava's Demon, but supposedly the author wrote all of it ahead of time, and I'm not certain enough to confidently call bullshit on that.)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 10, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Man, I really want to be excited for this, I was a huge fan of Broodhollow and backed the kickstarters, etc. But after two different false starts on the same chapter, each preceded by a hiatus then a "return", I'm not feeling particularly hopeful.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Regularity is even bigger than frequency. A comic (or youtube series, or blog) that posts every-other-wednesday at exactly 8pm eastern will gather regular readers more easily than one that posts on random days and times, usually less than a week between updates but sometimes up to two weeks.

Obviously plenty of comics do just fine without predictable schedules, but if you can swing it, it'll help. "Habitual readers" are an entire class of audience that can only exist in that environment.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh yeah, I started to read that (it's like, five mini comic ideas that he just kinda ran with, one per weekday), but navigating a webcomic on Tumblr is one of the worst experiences in web design. I'm sad I read the spoiler above instead of seeing it evolve for myself, but... I can't say I'd rather have kept up with it on Tumblr, so nothing's been lost.

I remember when it started, I was thinking "I bet when he makes a real site for these, someone'll mention it in the SA webcomics thread. I'll wait til then. " I'm actually amazed that never happened.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I follow everything with RSS. Started with comics (because manually checking 30+ of them, with wildly varying update frequencies, became untenable), and now including blogs and anything else I'd otherwise catch myself "checking just in case it updated since I checked earlier today". Now there's just one page I refresh constantly, and I've cleared my brain of that nagging feeling that maybe I'm forgetting something so I should stay on the internet just another two minutes.

I haven't actually tried to follow a webcomic that didn't have a working RSS feed in years, but I imagine if I did I would fail.

Probably most webcomic readers only keep up with 1-5 of them, so check manually, but the people in this thread have generally accumulated more comics and so skew towards RSS usage.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 21, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Huh, there was a Book 3 he had been working on, right? Or am I misremembering? Because it's gone from the archives.

This is the third time starting a Book 3. He wiped the pages from the first attempt when he started the second, and did the same here.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They built that sign with a third digit but quickly realized their mistake and removed it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

About half the gunnerkrigg thread has been talking about recent chapters as meandering and pointless, and the other half has said "what are you talking about, this is clearly leading somewhere"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The subject was Aaron Diaz. Webcomics may be a terrible way to make money in general, but they're certainly a better way for Aaron Diaz to make money than painting would be.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You guys are making this all up, right? It's a spot-on parody of something or another.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've never seen that guy's stuff before, but somehow ended up finding it last night while drunk and walking home.

It's good. I planned to post it here too.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh dang, thanks for reminding me about Emily Carrol, both of you!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I really like her more recent (2017 at least) stuff, a bunch of them seem slightly related and it's kind of spooky and fun.

The only thing I can see on her website from 2017 is Fallout 4 comics. Is she posting stuff elsewhere now?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I hope so, they keep charging my credit card $12 every month.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

But why is it the sixth form. What are the previous five forms.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Those are great, I'll have to get over my aversion to setting foot in Facebook for something other than its chat or rsvping.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I have the (first?) book, and thanks to this thread I reread it tonight instead of what I was planning on doing.

It's definitely good. Makes you want to say "gently caress it" in a way that dissolves some anxieties at the same time as it reinforces others.

Book ends before the later stuff, like the one AriadneThread just posted. I remember a lot of the best strips were from that era, which is too bad for me.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I just remembered Basic Income Please started Hourly Comics day. Man, webcomics history, right?

And if anyone wants to read the entire screed, it's still here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

Honestly part of me thinks this is just someone who believes a lot of what I think I do, having the courage of their convictions. Which is a harrowing thought. I can't completely dismiss it though. That same part of me respects B.I.P. for that whole series of events. Thinks she's right.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 16, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think it weirded them out that there were people who could afford the $500 and $1000 tiers and liked their work. Would weird me out too. The same amount of money is so trivial to some people and life-or-death to others.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh, he's the "all these artists should really be making zines" poster. Now this whole exchange makes a bit more sense.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Nah, it's just a memorably bad take. And I'm not sure if it was actually your first time in the thread, but it was quite the first impression.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

Also like really and I mean this sincerely, picking on internet webcomic people is frequently picking on the saddest most pathetic members of society. I have nothing to gain from the further belittlement of josh lesnick, formerly internet famous masturbator. It's silly! Who needs that?
Oh yeah, I totally agree with that. Don't care to talk about that guy.

All I'm saying is that .. a particular variety of contrarinism is implied by bringing that guy up in the first place (in a post I still barely understand) and then being sad that people jump to mocking him, and it's the same variety of contrarinism I'd recognize from that zine argument. And that moment of connecting those dots was satisfying enough to comment on.

Sorry, this is a dumb direction for this comic to go. Let's change the topic.

Here's a comic that I really wonder if other goons have opinions on: Sam and Fuzzy.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

He made a deal with a demon I think, each of us who saw the ribbon lost a sliver of our souls and in exchange the demon subsidized Lowtax's dental insurance.

(this post is on topic because I used the word "demon")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tollymain posted:

personally im banking on whoever he contacted w his phone showing up. im guessing eliza

Did he actually contact anyone with his phone? I thought he just looked at it, remembering how Eliza told him to call, but he's being a stubborn teenager and refusing to ask for help.