Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I just read through all of Awful Hospital after whoever recommended it earlier, and I'm loving it. Has shades of Kill Six Billion Demons and The Property Of Hate, with a lovely meta aftertaste that's very rare in webcomics.

Incidentally, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, check out The Property Of Hate, a comic about ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thank god, I can't stand Tapastic. The bloated mess of scripting is never as convenient as "click on the page to see the next page" or even "click on the "Next" button to see the next page".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

But it's for girls so it's bad

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I mean it's not like it's different from literally any other art form. Is there any medium where the most popular things are also well-respected?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Excrement sculpture.

Nah, everything in that field's pretty lovely

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bob and George was the Homestuck that came before Homestuck.

Feel free to take that as a compliment or insult as per your tastes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a lot of use of long words that don't sound natural when you'd use shorter ones in real life. Words like "musculature" and "locomotion" don't belong outside of technical diagrams - unless you're trying to write the voice of a character that sounds like one. There also isn't a single use of the word "said" on that page, but around thirty places it belongs.

The character dialogue in Poppy is as good as ever, but the narrative voice needs work to sound smoother.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I'm a little bothered by the latest page of Wilde Life. The Witch is saying something pretty insightful and generally applicable, but does it really apply to this specific situation? Are witches so common that we can assume anyone with a supernatural problem has run into a friendly one?

Supernatural folk do seem to bunch together. It's probably reasonable to assume that, in Podunk, if she hadn't come to ask her help it's because she'd already tried that elsewhere, especially with how itinerant Lorelei's life seems to make her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm gonna pimp a webcomic called Snow by Night because I find it cute. Basically it's Adventures in Fantasy Quebec. Art starts a bit mediocre with some elements of manga influence like bird hair in the first few chapters, but they eventually go away and it ends up looking pretty nice.

I just read the archives on this, and it really grew on me. And what a time to catch up! I've never read a comic with a colonial Americas setting before, but it uses the period well. Although I find the decision to come up with fantasy names for places like Britain/France/Netherlands while leaving in all the trappings of what they are a little baffling.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The more she puts into this fight, the less it becomes "I have to stop you because I can't stop the real problem" and more "I have to stop you because if you win then I could have stopped the real problem years ago".

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Extra Ordinary, but the latest page is a very cute adventure game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

This is really cute but I can't get more than like three of the endings and feel very dumb.

Things that might be holding you back, without spoilers:

There are three exits to the maze.
A couple of screens have hidden things you can click.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Claire could probably wrap a bundle of sticks in a dress and convince Desmond it's his idea to date it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's part of the setting that magic has a mind of its own and will piss in your cornflakes just for fun.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Axiem posted:

So, I know EGS isn't exactly well-liked around here or anything, but the last week or so has just been a bunch of HOLY poo poo moments.

I just wanted to have someone to share that with (because no one I know in real life reads admits to reading it, and I don't particularly recommend it to people). Because uh, if there's one thing Dan Shive can't be accused of doing right now, it's dallying around without anything happening.

Yeah, I actually really loved Pandora's closing scene. EGS can have pacing problems but this chapter is going at it with both barrels.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Shive is still running on whatever basic plot template he set up way back when he was first conceiving the comic. Lord Tedd and all that. But when I mentioned pacing problems earlier, well...

The last time we saw most of the cast in a non-adventure context, they were playing a lawyer-friendly Magic The Gathering tournament, and Sarah and Justin both came out of it with dates.

That was in 2014. Those dates have not happened yet. In fact, since then, there has been one plot arc completed and the one we're in now.

None of the events in EGS seem to feel slow to me as they're happening. I never get a feeling of "just get on with it already". But it takes years for the comic to get anywhere, and that's with a pretty brisk thrice-weekly update pace. I guess he's an engaging enough writer that he can just make a lot of talking around things still read interesting, but he could probably do better editing just so he can have less cases of major characters not appearing for actual years.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, after two years of beating around the bush, the best couple on Monster Pulse finally got to have their big kiss.

For the fact that it's practically mandatory to have a lesbian relationship in webcomics, it's surprsingly rare to see a gay male one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

true leftist posted:

where have all the webcomics gone

There's plenty, but besides the most popular ones getting their own threads spun off, I think a lot of them just don't quite have the critical level of readers in this thread to get consistently discussed.

So hey, here's a few that you might not have tried. I found most of them through this very thread!

I've been following Awful Hospital since it came up in the thread quite a while back. It's a suggestion-driven adventure game comic, like many formed in the wake of Homestuck, but it's got a really unique setting consisting of the space of all possible ideas and concepts.
Fern finally made it into the Maternity Ward and, in true adventure game style, is taking everything that isn't nailed down. Also had a run-in with a nasty dolphin.
I wonder how the comic's approach to combat with regularly updating the one fight page gels with the concept that "layers" of time in-universe correspond to pages outside of it. There's a lot going on in the concepts of this story, but despite all the weirdness it's fairly easy to understand the basic structure of the setting, and that's pretty cool.

A Better Place came up not vastly long ago. A preteen girl is given the power to remake the world as she likes - and after the prologue, the comic starts countless years into her reign, where she has absolutely no handle on the situation without having any idea it got away from her long ago. I like the way it's managed to get so much conflict with nobody having selfish motives (barring one character whose motives are still unclear). It's also not lost on me that the most villainous of the cast are the ones directly created by Hannah, rather than just people living in her world.

Blindsprings is a fantasy comic about the conflict between academic wizards and priests making deals with fairies. It's got a very cute art style, which is what really draws me to it. I feel like it's about time the comic introduced something on the broader scale to give the story a sense of urgency, though. As it is we're thrown into a setting where clearly a lot of bad stuff is happening but it doesn't feel to me like there's really stakes yet. Maybe this will come in time. Or maybe I'm just forgetting details of the plot so far.

Cassiopeia Quinn is a silly goofy space adventure. I always find it hard to really say much about the plots because they're very saturday morning cartoon stuff; there's no real bite to them, but they're always fun to read.

I feel like I'm going to need to reread this scene in Demon Street once it's over. We're clearly not meant to understand entirely what's going on, but I think I should be picking up more than I am. The comic is about children trapped in some sort of hell-world where everyone wants to get their hands on their names.

I got the impression from the earlier discussion that El Goonish Shive is a guilty pleasure for more thread posters than most of us thought. It might be about to really shake up the basis of magic in the setting, though I have my doubts. If nothing else I don't think the author is going to take the comic away from the original ideas he was coming up with as a teenager like many are hoping.

Anyone else reading Go Get A Roomie? It's a rather sweet romance story, where two young women struggling with trauma learn to love again. I don't care so much for all the extended cast's sex antics though. I don't object to it, but it's not titillating enough to survive on that merit and I don't feel it contributes much to the story otherwise. This comic can sometimes slip into just the author showing off how worldly she is in my view.

Everything in Monster Pulse is still going to hell. If you don't know what it is, it's about a bunch of kids who have had parts of their bodies separated and turned into basically digimon. We're in the aftermath of a big climactic confrontation and it's a little unclear how much story is left here, but what is clear is that everything is Lulenski's fault. All of it. Even the stuff that happened before she was around.

The Property of Hate has a similar sort of setting to Awful Hospital above, where the world is populated by ideas and concepts. This is a very different kind of story, though, with a child being dragged through a hero's quest largely against their will. For some reason I'm sure it was established the child is a girl but I can't for the life of me find when or how. Their gender isn't relevant but it kind of bugs me that I can't remember if that's a real fact.

Scurry reached its next chapter break. It's a post-apocalyptic comic about the lives of the animals after the humans left. Another one where the current state is "everything is going to hell" with all the characters separated and in mortal peril.

Snow By Night is a fantasy story set in colonial Canada, though it's a ersatz version with all the names made up. I'm never quite sure what the setting's approach to women's rights is. It's clearly normal for women in this world to hold ranking positions in the army but outside of that life for women doesn't seem much different to life for women in this period in real life, so it's a little hard to see where the line is drawn. Maybe the creators just wanted the excuse to have more female characters. I'm not complaining.

I really wish Sylvania updated more frequently. I love the concept - it's basically about witches attempting to colonise Mars. The characters are fun to read and I look forward to seeing how this core cast of four interact as their mission unfolds. Currently, though, they've barely started.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A Better Place also has a good strong prologue that isn't labelled as such. There's a dozen pages or so showing how Hannah got her powers before getting a cut to years later, long after she took over the world, where the plot starts. And that knowledge of how Hannah got her powers is key to what the characters are aiming to do, so it's important to include.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Speaking of story based comics, Guilded Age is in its final two chapters. It is not the best fantasy comic I've read, but it has kept my attention long enough and as long as it doesn't fall flat on its face in the next month or two it will have completed its race.

Ah yes, that's doing well. Guilded Age is a story comic that's actually managed to the pacing problems mentioned before - it has its destination and it's been heading there the whole time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, Ava's Demon is updating again! If you can get through the server errors.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Whoa, Poppy updated.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Perhaps the most bizarre thing to appear in Awful Hospital in quite some time is the completely ordinary human woman working behind the counter at MEAT 2 INFINITE GOODNESS NO BAD GUARANTEE!!!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

oh man, nancy is responsible for basically the entire plot of monster pulse isn't she

a whole hell of a lot of poo poo wouldn't have happened without her sabotage

completely understandable though, what happened to her was really hosed up and they should have had a psychologist involved or something

We already knew she was the one releasing the ghosts, right? We just now know she didn't really have justification.

Though I wouldn't blame her. Her own mother didn't reassure her that they were trying to help her.

Between them Nancy and Lulenski have pretty much been the ones to gently caress up everything, but let's not forget it was Rjinder and Maugras at the heart of it all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm liking this new SGR cast.

I also like the fox characters in the last couple pages of Scurry. They remind me of the witches from Macbeth, but with a hint of just being some teens playing around.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, Georgia & her dad are amazing. :allears:

Edit: And it's always nice to have an excuse to reread Octopus Pie.

That skeleton onesie is adorable.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I hope Allison never explains the origin of Zebus' family, and they just remain these high fantasy goofballs hanging out in Tackleford, because why wouldn't they?

They arrived at the culmination of a gruelling quest, in an event that will go down in Tackleford history as "that time with the wizard. No, the other one. This one had a beard. You remember? Same week as the wasp thing."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The AIs are the most interesting element of QC's setting (pretty much by default) so I'm pleased when it focuses on them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

imagine how it'll feel to squeeze those out.

Imagine how it would look.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

iospace posted:

Ava's Demon has been updating regularly(ish) again.

Someone please hug her, thank you.

I think that would just get you burned.

I hope she gets some comfort soon, though. Even if I know this isn't that kind of story.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

ava's demon has probably the most repellent cast i've ever seen in a webcomic that wasn't about videogames

ava herself is merely stammering and passive but absolutely everyone else is so awful

Well they are fifteen.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I was thinking that Heartful Punch slept in, but actually, of course magical girl school doesn't start until very late.

I think it was even called out last chapter when Tessa started at regular school. The magical girls have to stay out late hunting monsters so they get different school hours to match.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

ive never really thought of it as a webcomic for some reason though

do gifs count as sequential art

I don't know about the animation, but structurally they're not far removed from your typical single-panel daily newspaper cartoon. Just with horror instead of humour.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a system with the free online content. If you want free art, it's plentiful, but you only get what the artists want to draw for their own gratification. If you want someone to make something for you, you still gotta pay. drat near everyone takes commissions if they're not running some other enterprise (like a webcomic).
With the size of the internet and the sheer quantity of talented artists, you can get pretty specific about what you want to see before you need to actually ask someone to make it for you, but that isn't going to help, say, a business looking for an original mascot or something.

Of course when it comes to interacting with businesses, art suffers badly from the internship problem, where there's enough people who would do it for free in the hopes of it leading to paid work that a lot of potential clients expect to not have to pay anyone at all. And since most such artists are going solo without experience, they're easily taken advantage of. I remember seeing a form contract floating around on Tumblr, written up by a lawyer, that actually makes "doing it for exposure" binding and requires the client to direct potential business your way; I hope stuff like that can catch on.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh awesome! I thought Woman World had ended.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Android Blues posted:

(The mildly confusing part is that they're called "A levels" when that has nothing to do with the letter grade you receive. It just stands for "advanced level".)

They made more sense in contrast to O Levels ("ordinary level") which later became the GCSE.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Houses were a convenient way to divide up students beyond or within their year group, especially for boarding schools. Not exclusive to those, though. My dad went to a regular comprehensive and was in, if I recall correctly, "Damien" house. They're a bit antiquated now in most places, though - they'd dropped the system by the time I went to the same school.

In real life they are not usually based on any personal attributes like the Hogwarts or Gunnerkrigg ones.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, Demon Street looks like it's about to open the plot up. Or change scene before the big bad guy explains what he wants with Sep.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

avshalemon posted:

alethia is my new favourite robot webcomic!

I'm intrigued. Though it might be difficult to keep up with when a new comic is posted. I'll be following it nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

monster pulse is good today

Nice bit of continuity with the previous scene, too.