Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I just realized I haven't thought of Something Positive in absolute years.

Depending on how you feel about S*P, there's never been a better or a worse time to go back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Looking at Girl Genius, I just realized that "Oggie" is in fact probably short for some variant of "Foglio".

It's short for Ognian. It's just a coincidence that he's the author self-insert's great grandfather.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Although if we were looking for influential or important comics of the 10's it would be a hard one to deny. And I'd still say the comic was good, at least in the way one would say The Simpsons was good.

I'm slightly horrified that all the webcomics I read started before 2010, usually by a long way. A couple of them aren't far off their 20th anniversaries.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What about Existential Comics?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

It’s simple and light and cute and not particularly difficult to keep in my rotation, and I admire Jeph’s regular stance of “people are complaining my comic is too gay. Time to make it EVEN GAYER.”

I finally dropped QC last year. It stopped being good a while before that, when all the robot PDAs suddenly got humanoid bodies and Hannelore stopped being Hannelore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

These two will be QC's first male x male gay couple, won't they? That's probably no small part of it, considering this is almost certainly a Weird Straight DudeTM we're talking about.

Weird Straight Dudes probably already considered Marten and his trans GF to be the first MM gay couple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jng2058 posted:

So hey, are you enjoying that notable incest book, The Bible? I mean Adam and Eve are the only two humans and so their kids had to shack up with each other for the rest of us to exist.

Except they weren't. After Cain slays Abel he is driven out to the land of Nod, where he takes a wife. So while it's not explicitly stated, it's still absolutely clear that Adam and Eve weren't the only humans God created, just the first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

am I crazy or has oglaf had a ssssertain theme lately

It's usually themed around ssssssex, yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VanSandman posted:

When's the last time Marten was even in the comic? I get the feeling Jeph doesn't really feel connected to that disaffected, directionless 20-something anymore, and that's all Marten can be at this time.

Or at any other time, because time doesn't pass in QC.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Twibbit posted:

I love GG, but it is best read once every two months in a giant binge. annually in a graphic novel.

FTFY.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mikl posted:

Just to get a ballpark of how much I have to catch up if I decide to start reading Girl Genius again.

The last thing I remember reading was Agatha going into Mechanicburg, and talking with Castle Heterodyne through the old man who put on the "mind blend with the castle" helmet.

How many years ago was that?

Twelve volumes plus whatever hasn't been collected in print yet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I have to assume that, rather than need to build a new audience with a new IP after they wrap up, the Foglios intend to only actually finish GG when they're ready to retire.

Phil Foglio turns 65 at the end of this month, and with volume 13 known to be the mid-point of the full arc there's another five years left in the story. So this is almost certainly Phil's plan; there just isn't any need to pad it out once the arc is done.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Android Blues posted:

The protagonist of Misery (who is a clear stand-in for King, an author so frustrated by the weight of his own fame and the genre niche his fanbase expects him to write in that he can barely stand it) comes up with the name Constant Reader for the villain Annie Wilkes, and to this day King addresses all his forewords, affectionately, to the Constant Reader.

King didn't come up with the name. He probably took it from the column Dorothy Parker wrote for the New Yorker from the late 1920s. She in turn had taken it from the serialised novels of the 19th century, where the author might address Constant Reader in the text because those were the people who followed every chapter as it came out.

(Actually Paul Sheldon wrote novels after the style of that period, so it's possible King found it during his research on Misery and bypassed the Parker connection. But I don't doubt that he knew about the Parker column.)

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 10, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The latest Oglaf is 100% punchlines after the first panel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fun hater posted:

everyone should read my webcomic based on how much it would benefit me personally. thank you for the nice words

"How much writing a webcomic benefits you personally" sounds like a terrible theme for a webcomic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

A better solution is to just make him fall down a hole and then every other character forgets he exists and we never see him again.

If QC has reached the point where Pintsize got put into a humanoid body, it's time to throw the entire comic down a hole.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I found Clown Corps impossible to read because the web layout is so loving idiotic. It adds a button that sends you to a random page, but only on pages where someone has left a comment. And that button appears in exactly the same location as the Next button on pages that don't have a comment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Begemot posted:

JoJo did it.

Did he at any point learn how to draw? The perspective on that would make HP Lovecraft start looking for either a bunker or a length of rope.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you asking if Araki knows how to draw??

Are you looking at that picture, where the tail is attached to the right buttock and the right leg is attached to Christ knows what and rotated at an impossible angle, and thinking that the artist can draw? It's eye-watering.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Y’all know Araki’s been displayed in the Louvre, right

I have no beef with Araki specifically, I don't know anything about him or his art past what's been posted here. Someone said the picture I disliked wasn't drawn by him anyway, so I don't think we have a beef here either.

(That said, the Louvre were at one time planning to display a 12-metre tall cubist installation that looked like a man loving a dog and only cancelled because someone said "Hey, that installation looks like a man loving a dog". So I wouldn't rush to use "it was displayed in the Louvre" as a benchmark for what constitutes great art.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mikl posted:

Reminder that Sinfest used to have a "Number of times Ishida has been refused syndication" counter on the front page. You can check the internet archive for the page circa 2004-2005 to see it.

Now it just says "Not enough"?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Actual funeral proceedings would have consumed literal years at Willis Pacing.

It can't be as bad as The Whiteboard, can it? TWB had a storyline which covered a weekend and had three Memorial Day strips.

(Still, Doc has a sense of humour about his pacing. That story was followed by a week of strips where the holiday decorations in the store changed five times in the course of a single three minute conversation - startling the hell out of one character every time she turned around and noticed.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neito posted:

What webcomic has the highest ratio of updates to in-universe time past?

TWB has had 3347 updates since it began in June 2002, and I don't think that one full calendar year has passed yet in-universe. Most of the passage of time has been since the end of The Longest Day, which began in April 2014 and finished 452 updates later in November 2016.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Loss is webcomics defining memory

And sometimes it's harder on the writer than on the reader.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

*zot*

Check your tabs, Jedit.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 11, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I think Vattu is the only webcomic I still follow regularly, everything else ended/stopped or I just gave up. I had to take a break from GG during the British arc and I've pretty much resolved not to pick it up again until it has actually reached a definitive conclusion because I have been burned on way too many long-running series at this point to fall for that poo poo again.

Is Sluggy Freelance still going? I never really disliked it exactly, I just kind of stopped reading it at some point and never bothered to pick it up again for the reasons described above.

This is pretty much me, except I trade wait Girl Genius and the only webcomics I still follow are Something Positive and The Whiteboard. The latter is a somewhat deranged comic by an Alaskan paintball store owner who originally did sketches on a whiteboard in the store and photographed them - hence the name. It's technically an anthro/furry comic, but this was for once unintentional; Doc originally intended the polar bear he uses as a self-insert to be the only animal character in a world of humans, but found that he's really, really bad at drawing human faces. The general theme of the comic is the day to day operations of Doc's paintball store, except cranked up to 1000 with mad science and funded with DARPA contracts. Time is fluid and the storytelling can be glacial, but it's managed to avoid several of the big traps of comedy strips and Doc is not above poking fun at himself. He also keeps the strip almost completely apolitical.

I discovered The Whiteboard in the weirdest way: someone linked me to Doc's recipe for garlic meatballs, which is attached to strip 584. I have never had the courage to try it as they're insanely garlicky, but the link has remained on my bookmarks for over 15 years and through three computer replacements.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

As of tomorrow, Randy Milholland of Something Positive is the new artist for Popeye.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I haven't read the comic version of Popeye, is everyone a snarking rear end in a top hat there too?

Click on the link for a preview of the Sunday strip, if you're that curious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wasn't aware that they were still making Popeye comics past 1950, so I'm surprised there.

The guy who's retiring from the Sunday strips for Milholland is 95 and has been working on them since about 1950.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

I feel like a good 50% of the comics in that one are just "Hey, this chick has huge boobs!"

I mean, it is 50% chicks with huge boobs by surface area.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

He really only ever gets worse, huh.

I can count the number of people who go down that rabbit hole and get better on my dicks. Probably without removing my trousers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

QC is a slow-paced comic about living in a small place where not much ever happens

And yet it's not as slow paced as The Whiteboard, which reached its 20th anniversary last year but a character who has been there since the start is still only 24. It's like watching M*A*S*H, which had a Christmas episode in each of its 11 seasons but is set entirely during the Korean War (1950-53).

(Mind you, Doc lampshades that often enough. After one storyline contained two Halloweens and two Christmases despite covering just one weekend in story time, he did a week long segment where eight months story time passed... during the course of one five minute conversation.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

i never expected cad to deliver either, but watching the madness of the epilogue unfold in real time was a magical experience

CAD ended? Wow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Does anyone remember Daily Grind Iron Man Challenge? It was a challenge where webcomic creators bet on who can last the longest without missing an update to their webcomic.

Well, I found out that it ended in 2020. It lasted 15 years.

https://twitter.com/MikkiHEL/status/1287713550811758592

(thread)

Weird, I thought Howard Tayler was in the DGIMC and I don't recall him missing a day on Schlock Mercenary. Which ended three days before that tweet, and might have been what made someone think of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What is the update schedule on Wilde Life? I'd prefer to read it by chapters, but if you guys are going to discuss every page in detail as it comes out I'll need to do likewise or leave the thread. And if I leave the thread, I won't get good recommendations like Wilde Life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Drakyn posted:

Wilde Life's default is Mon-Wed-Fri.

Thanks. I couldn't find it on the page, and of course it's been erratic the last two months.

And spoiler tags would be nice, thank you. It's not important for things like Something Positive or QC that you read day by day, but strips like Wilde Life and Girl Genius are effectively graphic novels published one page at a time and work much better - for me, at least - when read in large chunks. It feels like that's the authorial intent. Would a policy along the lines of "use tags for the current chapter of long form stories" be excessive?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I gave up on QC years ago, but I'm glad Jeph is doing OK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

Plus, even if absolutely nothing else, "kept it up long enough to hit five thousand strips" is pretty impressive. You could go through fifty a day and it'd still take over three months to read it all.

I'm not sure how many other comics go that long, outside of the zombies you see shambling around print newspaper strips that are being done by the assistant to the grandson of the original inker or whatever.

Schlock Mercenary finished somewhere north of 7300 strips, having updated daily without pause for 20 years. In active comics, The Whiteboard hits 4000 in about a year - not bad considering it was on a 3-day schedule for the first 10 years or so.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

disposablewords posted:

EDIT: Cripes, I just went poking around randomly and Claire and Marten have been Officially A Thing since about comic 2800. It does not feel like it's been nearly half the strip thus far.

So they've been dating for what, six weeks in QC time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I suspect what actually happened is that the book ending he planned was very much like the show ending and given the reception to the show's ending, he had to completely scrap all his plans.

The ending of the show wasn't the problem for me. It was the lovely way in which they got there. Benioff and Weiss deliberately rushed it even though HBO were offering them more episodes to let it breathe, because they wanted to go do the Star Wars project that they'd been offered.