Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lottie, I'm not sure this is so much a theory as a statement of the bleedin' obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

Another bleedin' obvious thing is that this teal lipstick is horrible.
I feel like Lottie is maybe considering following Esther down the path of Goth.

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, Tackleford being what it is made me think that this might be supernatural in nature, especially with the Mystery Kids on the case. :v:

I hope it ends with Shelley meeting Bruno again during her vacation and it turns out he's still got a spark for her. Guy seemed pretty decent in the small screentime he had.

I believe Lottie was planning on hooking her up with the sewerman general. It remains to be seen if that goes anywhere.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pistol_Pete posted:

Tim Jones manages to answer the question: how could I make this mess even worse than it already is:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171009

Oh god, he's going to wind up Flashpointing the Bobbinsverse.

Dammit Tim, you are the worst.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, I think Sonny & Mildred are probably both right.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yikes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, looking at the previous comic and it's actually quite obvious that Mildred is setting up to swipe the keys, but of course nobody noticed.

Ace misdirection.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Straight White Shark posted:

What, the part where she explicitly announced a few days ago that that was her plan wasn't a tip-off?

I think we were, like Tim, put off balance by her strategy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In other webcomics news, good to see Tim Jones get the comeuppance he so richly deserves. I look forward to seeing who his lawyer turns out to be. I'm hoping incompetent boob.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait...so Tackleford's been running on 1:1 time all along? That raises so many questions!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They finally made it official. :3:

Also, I don't wanna know about Oglaf, do I?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What the heck, The Boy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The plot thickens!

So, clearly timedad is up to something. The question is, what?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pistol_Pete posted:

Oh hey, after yesterday's cliffhanger the one thing I really wanted was a segue into Desmond loving Fishman.

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171201

Oh no.

Oh no.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shouldn't those be 'half-sisters'?

Unless Riley remarried...

Somehow I can see the fruits of a Tim-Shelley union being uniquely worse than the one before.

Also it seems like if you wanted to keep your parents together, maybe you should have stopped yourself from interfering in the experiment that blew up your house and led to the breakup in the first place, Scout.

Or it's going to be a double-bluff and it's someone pretending to be Scout, pretending to be Timedad.

I'm guessing...Desmond Fishman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, that's a big twist.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I know any time travel fiction is rife with plot holes, but it seems to me that Scout could just go forward to 2030 and get another fully operational time cane, couldn’t she?
Unless her meddling has already destroyed the future/prevented time canes from being made. She's explicitly changed her own past at least once.

Edit: also, hosed with time before her own birth, which seems like an incredibly dumb move. It's not like some distant abstract time thing, either. I'm pretty sure Shelley dying (permanently) would have had knock-on effects on Tim that could have prevented her own birth.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 6, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

So basically, every time one of Tim's invention went wrong and caused a disaster, it was actually Scout sabotaging it in the extremely misplaced hope that it would help?

I guess she takes after her mum.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

RandomPauI posted:

I'm volunteering at a Red Cross shelter. Someone left Chick Tracts on the toiletries table because of course they did.
Maybe they were leaving those for anyone caught short on the loo.

In Webcomics news: Shelley's not kidding.

We have an actual Esther De Groot sighting in Bad Machinery/Scary Go Round! It's a Christmas miracle!

And she's apparently...talking to a red robot? Man, Giant Days must be going in some weird directions. (Nice use of panel blocking to conceal who, if anyone, she showed up with, though). And I think that's Jack's sister's friend Lauren he's talking to. Oh, and Elliot's there, maybe talking to Holly.

Shelby Winner's a bit of a surprise. Although that might be Mrs. Lord, considering Ken's right there.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I have no doubt that Lottie and Claire can make some music, because that's just something that naturally occurs with groups of mystery-solving children, but have they ever done anything musical in the comic before?
A lot of the mystery teens' musical talents were established back in The Case of The Modern Men.

Shauna was a singer in a power-metal band (until she got kicked out due to the Mod-Rocker war). She later showed up with a guitar in her alter ego, but I dunno if she was ever depicted playing (I think she's just the singer in Go-Kart Conspiracy, though). Heck, Lottie & Claire (and Mimi) discussed founding a band and (presumably) that guitar was Lottie's. Maybe she got her electric guitar as part of Mrs. Grote's financial success in Severed Alliance?

Actually, I'm not sure it's been established what instrument Claire plays.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just realised that Desmond Fishman is also attending this baby shower.

Could this be the end of Desmond Fishman?

Also, rereading Bad Machinery as research led me to discover Sixteen Miles To Merricks, which was a nice bonus.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

Scout's hair was a homage to Tom Baker all along.

It'd work better if her hair hadn't been retconned into being black. Unless...that's a side-effect of her alterations to the timeline?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Seems like Future Scout's being used to retroactively make Tim less of a danger to himself and others.

Typical Tim Jones, relying on a dangerous invention to get himself out of trouble! :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, considering the fifty or so comics people are saying are connected to it, and spun off it, and weave in and out of it, and just generally exist as part of it...

...how would one even START getting into Scary-Go-Round?
Ooh, that's a toughie.

You could probably just start with Scary Go Round proper, or alternatively just get into Bad Machinery directly if you don't want to work through the entire archive, since that was designed as a jumping-on point. Most of the tie-in stories aren't necessary for the overarching story, or where they are theyre ususally actually included in the standard Bad Machinery archive.

I think the general consensus is that OG Bobbins is skippable.

Edit: heartily beaten.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mark the date: probably the first time Desmond Fishman has ever done anything helpful.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Lone Badger posted:

Scout is Assistant Technicians (note the plural) at a place called 'Swarms Labs'.
There may be more than one of her.

That that'd be a plot twist.

Edit: also I wound up bingewatching Educating Yorkshire to get a grasp on the kid's accents and it makes rereading Bad Machinery so weird.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 18, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, this seems a bit of an...odd...career move.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just realised she described herself as the best trial lawyer in England & Wales (and that implant poster refers to EWGOV). I'm not sure I like the implications of this dark future.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ZearothK posted:

Wanna read the awkward conversation between Esther, Erin and Boyce in five years time when Giant Days gets to it.

Also Sarah, since she also dated the Boy during Giant Days (briefly).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

The exceptions generally being Poppy O'Possum, Monster Pulse, Kiwi Blitz and Bad Machinery, mostly because people are just too lazy to create a dedicated thread for each of them and fully cast off from this rotting bilge barge of a thread.

There was a dedicated Bad Machinery thread, but it was decided to merge it back into this one to I guess get more people to read the comic? Honestly I didn't quite get the logic even back then.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, I found out there's a Scary Go Round facebook page, and it some tantilising details:

quote:

It's the final part of Hard Yards! This could have been the last Scary Go Round, and it would have been a nice one, I think. But it's not, though it'll be the last dance for a while for a few characters. No break to comics this year; the Fishman returns for a special story next week
NO! NOOOOOO!

OK, let's continue.

quote:

before we head into uncharted waters with new story WEN-TACK on January 1st. Thanks for reading.
Right, considering the current facebook profile picture is this:

With the tagline 'prepare for 2018'.

It looks like we're likely following on from the Case of the Severed Alliance, since the Wen-Tack relief road was a plot point there. Also, presumably Mildred will get to play a bigger role this time round. Wonder which characters are being backgrounded? I'm thinking Tim & Shelley are the obvious ones, there.

And hey, gocomics are doing reruns of Bad Machinery! I guess Allison did finally get syndicated. Also seems to be going from the collected books formatting, so there's some new bits & pieces.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Desmond Fishman showing an interest in a person not himself? :monocle:

It's a Christmas miracle!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I can't believe nobody recommended Paranatural.

Also, it seems the Fishman has returned somewhat to the mean.

I wound up going through the gocomics rerun of Bad Machinery, and I've been enjoying it immensely. The bonus parts have all been great thus far. If you want to reread the first few cases (they've just started The case of the Unwelcome Visitor) I heartily recommend it.

I hope that the little girl that was too cute for the Choo Choo Bear to eat becomes Cecile's best friend as part of Bad Machinery: The Next Generation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I shudder to imagine who would fit this criteria.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I...do not think this will end well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

plainswalker75 posted:

Lol, that garbage is what Jeph gives his patreon subscribers? How the hell does he make so much drat money?

You seem to have misspelled John there. And no, he inflicts Desmond Fishman on us all equally.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Penny Arcade was my doorway into webcomics I think my first not-gag-a-day webcomic was El Goonish Shive, I'm ashamed to say. I was young and stupid. Thankfully I outgrew it. I think I next went onto Problem Sleuth, and I briefly went into the Questionable Content rabbithole and Schlock Mercenary, and then I found Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery, Hark a Vagrant & Nedroid, and I've not really looked back since.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mildred is starting off 2018 strong, I see.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I bet Tommy Binks had something to do with this.

Edit: In other Tackleford related news (Giant Days #34 spoilers) :rip: Ed Gemmel. He never scored (with Esther).

OK, he's probably not dead, but I wouldn't put it past Allison.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 3, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

This discussion is making me very glad I stopped reading EGS a long time ago.

I mean, spells derived from fetishes? The gently caress?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

amigolupus posted:

As someone who thinks Linton was severely underused in the past few story arc, I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing this pair try to work together. Now that I think about it, I don't remember if these two had significant interactions in the comics.

I guess Jack & Sonny might have been pulled into the Go-Kart Conspiracy. Which makes sense, since Jack had his guitar & Sonny was producing him during the case of the Severed Alliance.

I think John Allison has said this arc is specifically focusing on characters that haven't had much focus lately. So I'm looking forward to Mildred & Linton's Excellent Adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, it could be that he's going to have character development this arc.