Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's a plutocrat in your actual real government who's bought entire an entire political party under the table and used their power to sell control of the country's uranium mines to its enemies for bribes and you're arguing about webcomics instead of out in the streets soooo

What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

like lmao are you seriously buying into that "scandal"

you dumb motherfucker the usa's uranium deposits are utter shite-grade, all the material they actually use is imported. of loving course they sold the rights

way to fall for the weakest attempt at distraction from the actual current ongoing issues the us right wing can scrounge up

Also we don't export any of the uranium from those mines. Also Hilary was part of one of nine or so organizations that approved the deal in question. Also Hilary doesn't have any political power right now. Also Hilary's primary tie with Russia is that Putin hates her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm a little bothered by the latest page of Wilde Life. The Witch is saying something pretty insightful and generally applicable, but does it really apply to this specific situation? Are witches so common that we can assume anyone with a supernatural problem has run into a friendly one?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Supernatural folk do seem to bunch together. It's probably reasonable to assume that, in Podunk, if she hadn't come to ask her help it's because she'd already tried that elsewhere, especially with how itinerant Lorelei's life seems to make her.

Is that true? I can't remember if Cliff and the witch knew each other before they met via Oscar. Either way, we've seen two witches total and one was a real piece of poo poo. The siren girl seemed really surprised that Oscar believed her. Maybe she's seen a witch or power doctor about it, but then again, it doesn't seem unreasonable that she hasn't. It would at least be worth asking her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poppy better win. The main character getting defeated by a friend who betrayed her out of sheer moral cowardice is not particularly compelling.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I think kazerad still posts? Then there's people like the Fanboys guy who actively tried to improve after hearing a bunch of criticism here. There's probably few cases of people leaving due to negatively rather than just losing interest.

Speaking of Kazerad, I can't believe he actually updated his sad cat comic. The world is full of mediocre wonders.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

The more she puts into this fight, the less it becomes "I have to stop you because I can't stop the real problem" and more "I have to stop you because if you win then I could have stopped the real problem years ago".

Poppy already pointed out that they obviously have a chance of winning. If they didn't, Mob Bird wouldn't be going after them so hard. So yeah, this whole thing is Petunia being stupid and awful.

I wonder if it ties into her mom somehow. Petunia's central damage seems to be that her mom left or at least failed to prioritize family and village sufficiently. Maybe she feels like she has to make these sacrifices or she'll be just like her mom.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah that wasn't a defense of Petunia, just an explanation of why she's not actually useful to change the status quo.
Also she didn't realize that she could beat up on possums before recently, which I can only imagine is good for possumkind.

With how powerful she is, she could definitely be helpful without beating up people personally.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I used to take Petunia at her word that her mom was awful. Petunia's kind of showing herself to be a real poo poo, though, so maybe her mom is rad?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Ah, right. So Petunia comes by it honestly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

god what is it w people splitting on fictional characters at the drop of a hat lmao

oh no they did something bad or have a negative character trait they obviously must be the worst

Why do people root against the characters trying to kill the heroes? Truly, a mystery for the ages.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

its the people who are like eager for the character to be severely punished that weird me out

e: folks like this

OK, yeah, that's creepy and way too much.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Poppy is truly extraordinary. I will continue to miss it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

If you are going to make fun of someone for simplifying a thing to make themselves seem clever, you might as well simplify what you're criticizing so you can seem clever.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I just binged Sleepless Domain, and it really is excellent. I also find Cassidy's actions are way more infuriating with full context. She is going to get dunked on so hard if/when HP finds out what she's done.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

The shoe I'm waiting to see dropped in SD is Tessa's power and etheric element being added to Undine's skills. Because clearly it's in there from how her eyes changed. And we know that Magical Girl powers can be additive since Heartless Punch got a big chunk of her mom's powers because she was a teen mother and thus still a magical girl. So I assume that Undine is gonna zot the gently caress out of some massive beastie the way she already power washed the one that was threatening HP.

That's a good explanation for why she was able to do the cutting water beam thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Given this club is a really chill, supportive space created by HP, I hope Cass gets kicked out. Having a "no rear end in a top hat" rule that is enforced is really important to creating constructive spaces.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nah, Cass being told that she is unwelcome if this is how she's going to behave would be good. For one thing, you're really overexaggerating how punishing this would be to Cass. It's a small, informal exercise meetup. Being kicked out does not equal being made a pariah or being cut off from all support.

Secondly, the ethos of this club is pretty clear from what we've seen of how Undine and the psychic girl joined. It is a very supportive, welcoming atmosphere. It's there to help its members get better. Cass just attacked the grieving new girl to the point she started ugly crying. If that type of behavior isn't responded to very firmly, it really undermines the whole thing.

Cass could come to her senses, apologize, and make up with Undine. But if she doesn't, it doesn't make sense for everyone to be OK with her continued participation.

Maybe they will be though? I feel like the bigger arc this is affecting is Undine and HP becoming an official team. Earlier this chapter both had meetings with their agents where they were basically saying they just needed to broach the topic and make it official. I don't think this whole mess will scuttle that, but I think it will complicate it and make it have more dramatic tension. "I want to be an official team." "Cool me too" is not super compelling.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I didn't expect Vedika to also be a jerk. Telling other people about stuff you picked up via mind reading practice is pretty lovely.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My favorite thing about the current kerfuffle in Sleepless Domain is how it's perfectly designed to be insanely triggering for Undine. The last time she helplessly watched her group of friends devolve into dumb teenage squabbling, it went pretty badly.

It makes me wonder if she's going to explode in an un-Undine-like fashion. If she yells at them some abbreviated version of how Team Alchemical died because they started in-fighting just like this, it could be a very unfortunate time for Tessa to show up and misinterpret what she hears.

I don't think this will happen, but it's an intriguing disaster scenario. It would play with the expectation that HP is going to show up and increase the tension.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Harley's half off-panel smirk is great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I would argue that what Feral was doing was supposed to be really changing the world, even though even at her most self-destructive she couldn't possibly solve the demand for donor organs or anything. I mean, there's only so many people who are going to be even compatible with her.

That sort of makes the real hero of the comic Feral, and not Allison.

Feral's superpower made her organs 100% no problem compatible with everyone. It was great that she appeared early on to show how using a power to actually make a difference could be horrible and not at all glorious. If Allison had reflected on that and used it as inspiration to think outside of the box, that would have been great. It's a great idea for Allison to not be the real hero and to have an example of a friend who is.

Instead Allison did violence heavily coded as sexual assault to make the magic libertarian make Feral's powers too strong to continue giving the organs. Then she used punching to solve the problem of crippling childhood trauma for her depressive demonic nightmare boy love interest.

SFP is such an amazing example of good things going bad.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Letting the abusive paranoid maniac into your support group is a much worse idea though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

This character in Wilde Life who seems to save the world and help people purely to spite people they don't like? Very good.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Does anyone remember a webcomic that starts off about Lion Man, a guy whose family was killed by lions and who has dedicated himself to fighting them. The world runs on video game logic, and there's a strip early on where he can't sell his lion crystals because the people are impoverished by famine. He realizes that not all problems are caused by lions? Later he meets the dig dug guy, but the dig dug guy has diabetes because he survived being trapped in a cave in by eating tea cakes and soda from an infinitely generating vending machine. The second arc of the comic took place in dracula's castle.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yes, that's it! Thank you.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, Eliza was trying to tell him that Sylvia is a problem that needs to be dealt with, not a lonely person who needs a friend.

This does read like the white faced bear is just pissed with his authority being subverted by some dude. He might be right though? Eliza not using her powers to kill the horrible man-eating spider thing is bad for vague reasons about how it'll come back and hurt her. Clifford and Oscar's stance of working to make things safer is appealing for pretty clear, straightforward reasons. This difference in how real the reasoning and consequences of the two options does not make the bear sympathetic to the audience, but it doesn't preclude him being right either.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

OK, so the witch can't entomb the spider monster in magic tree because it will disrupt the balance or whatever. But could she please gently caress up the abusive bastard?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I want the robot to kiss the small woman.

They have definitely had the best chemistry of any QC pairing so far.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Renee proving yet again she's kind of an awful person in literally every story beat she's in.

She is the absolute worst.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I just read this manga called "My Son is Probably Gay," and I thought it was pretty great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I just discovered an absolutely adorable short comic called "The Monster Under My Bed". Only four chapters but the art is good and I enjoyed it a lot.

https://m.webtoons.com/en/heartwarm...V-RN64yHSb3jHlM

It also has a short film that was made of it apparently? But I think the comic is better.

Speaking of adaptations, the Sweet Home series has released on Netflix!

That was great. Thank you for recommending it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I have no idea why people are being rude to someone who politely came in to explain his comics-making process.

Kazerad is or at least was a supporter of Gamergate. They write a comic where the female main character suffers a lot, including sexual assault. It's hard to be charitable to someone who writes something like that when they also have written in defense of a harassment campaign against women.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Gunnerkrigg Court remains my favorite and so I'd vote for it for best of the 2010s. K6BDs and Sleepless Domain are absolutely up there, though.

I think the new Nancy has the potential to be the best of the 2020s.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The distinction I think is more that this is very new for Clinton's mom, whereas it was always part of Martens relationship with his mom.

It's definitely similar, but QC loves to do variations on the same stuff over and over.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

So someone in the PYF comics thread linked to this:

Clown Corps

And I'm loving it. It's both very silly and self-aware while taking its concept of a crack squad of crime-fighting battle clowns entirely seriously. Comic good.

Thank you for sharing. This owns.

I was wondering if there would be copaganda vibes, but instead the clowns are an organization that's kind of in the middle of being copified, and not everyone is happy about it. Comic is as smart as it is silly.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Hazel and the spider lady saw Oscar from across the bar and just really dug his vibe.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Honestly, I'm impressed Oscar has held his poo poo together so well. Given what happened the last time a lady pressed him against a tree in the woods, I kind of expected him to have a full blown meltdown of some sort.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm really reluctant to assign blame to Oscar because it's started to feel like a metaphor for gendered violence. If you flip the genders, it becomes way too on the nose. But with Oscar being a dude and the monsters he encounters women, it gives enough distance that the author could maybe do an effective reveal later on. Something to make the reader realize that, no, Oscar is not at fault for the bad things that happen to him just because he helped an old person who had fallen in the park, or trusted his date, or ignored the warnings of his friends about his roommate with demonstrated anger issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Will Jane Ordinarygirl get together with Ann Kylosaurus, or Terry Dactyl? :ohdear:

Maybe both. It's knot for us to judge.