Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I use Feedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I found this on the side of the road somewhere and it really spoke to me

I uploaded this to my imgur account for use in another thread elsewhere on SA it looks like about two years ago

It never goes out of fashion

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brought To You By posted:

The reason people didn't like it is the same reason people that complain about SU. It looks bad. Having characters warp physically constantly, and excluding cherry-picked smear frames, is something of a turn off for some people. The famous sequence when pain goes for a punch Naruto and turns into play-doh is exactly what doesn't work with going off model. It's expressive yeah but "loose" is a hard sell when visual clarity and consistency are the currency.

That's not really what's complained about SU, though. SU is inconsistent between episodes, but individual episodes will be be largely internally consistent with their own models.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pavlov posted:

No, it's my fault. I should have known better than to utter the spell that is "steven universe".

Well on one hand we have people talking about design and animation and artistic fads and things that are fairly relevant to webcomics, and on the other hand people who... just kinda started weirdly screeching the moment it was mentioned?

I mean, come on, this is the Webcomics thread.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 1, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slight Freelance's art improved, peaked years ago, and then went back downhill again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm guessing that older Scout's timeline poofs out of existence (and maybe takes older Scout with it, or she's just cut adrift from a time that no longer exists) since there's no way that young Scout can get away with not talking about it for fifteen years anymore.

I feel like Old Scout already has to have some kind of temporal immunity considering how much fuckery she's already done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

The lack of a gender neutral term of respect is a weird blind spot in the English language, though. Can we steal usted or something?

In Star Trek for a while everyone was Mister.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

oh god
i can't imagine reading any comic on a phone, that sounds miserable

It's okay on a bigger phone if the site is set up with a good mobile display mode to use the screen space maximally and have decent controls. Most webcomics it's impossible, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I used to be a diehard Sluggy reader and lost it about five years ago, out of curiosity what was the deal?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Exceedingly complicated and probably a total rear end-pull, but, well, I don't think anyone guessed it. :shrug:

Still Sluggy then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Looks like we're giving it another go then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

Oh yeah, I started to read that (it's like, five mini comic ideas that he just kinda ran with, one per weekday), but navigating a webcomic on Tumblr is one of the worst experiences in web design. I'm sad I read the spoiler above instead of seeing it evolve for myself, but... I can't say I'd rather have kept up with it on Tumblr, so nothing's been lost.

I remember when it started, I was thinking "I bet when he makes a real site for these, someone'll mention it in the SA webcomics thread. I'll wait til then. " I'm actually amazed that never happened.

Ueugh. That said, if you dont know... if he's tagging things, you can use /tagname/chrono to catch up in order, and then feed /tagname/rss into a reader to keep up with the strips after that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I read tumblr comics with the autoRSS feed they provide.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bobulus posted:

She's putting out such strong anti-magic waves that she snuffed out that candle.

Was that one of the year-candles she's tracking her lifespan with?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I reread some of the more ponderous bits of Girl Genius and I do have to say, it's amazingly better when read in full books (castle by castle), it's just not well adapted to the drip-feed of webcomics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's how artists make money on the internet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I wouldn't call Petunia a horrible person just yet, but she has made horrible decisions and is showing truly scary sides to her. I am not wishing harm on her yet, but she does deserve whatever is coming to her.

The way she was always so insistent on not even acknowledging her skills for ages makes me think that she knows drat well that she's prone to this kinda stuff and had been deliberately trying to keep herself from it like an alcoholic from booze.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alt-text on comics was a cute idea before people wanted to read on tablets. :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Australian schools often have houses but they're usually only for school sports and other school competitions.

Since I left, though, my secondary school has reorganised and gone Full Hogwarts and now all the upper school home groups are divvied up by house and put into seperate corners of the building that are covered in colors. It was wierd to see, since when I was there nobody gave a poo poo about houses at all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 27, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're very common in Australia across all kinds of schools, except particularly small ones. Like I said before, if nothing else they make school sports and stuff like that easier to organise.

At my state primary school we had Blue, Red, Green and Yellow House. I was in Blue House. :rock:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If Griswald's is so terrible and cash-strapped and the Wendleford college is excellent wouldn't this be kinda a good thing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VanSandman posted:

I mean, if you make a public accusation, you’re gonna want to provide public evidence. Otherwise you can get sued for defamation.

You'll be able to defend against a defamation suit with evidence it happened, even if you kept the evidence private up to then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Burkion posted:

It only JUST got out of a loving multi month (year?) flash back scene

You're not meant to think of it like that; I'm pretty sure the whole comic is going to be switching back and forth between past and future until it ends.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

I think that Jacques' reluctance to let his characters hurt is still preferable to whatever is going on with Willis.

And yet weirdly, when Willis writes Jacques' strip the result is better than either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Girl Genius has somehow segued into a strange story of a couple characters only tangentially related to the main cast discovering a hidden underwater civilization of sea monkeys.

Segueing into only tangentially related stories is Girl Genius's thing. (Though to be fair to them, I'm surprised by how much progress they've made on the main plot in the last... year? However long. Things actually seem to be progressing)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Morbi mentioned that one thing that really sapped their motivation (I don't remember them actually saying they hated making comics) was that their hard drive crashed and so the original full resolution versions of the first few chapters were lost, resulting in making so that they would have to redo the art of the first few chapters if they ever wanted to physically publish it

gently caress it, throw it in Waifu2X and call it a day, that poo poo's magic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, we've got hazard protection. All the adrenaline stories you hear are the obvious, but even beyond that there's simple things like the fact that a human could pretty easily bite through one of our fingers at full force, but a limiter kicks in and sets a maximum bite force if we ever tried.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's just a toaster. Its problems could be fixed with a software update that stopped those "feelings". If the writer wanted to tell a story about human problems, he should use characters that are human.

What's the point of reading something if you don't want to engage with the basic premises.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The best outcome at this point would Undine having the presence of mind to recognise that this is one of those situations where you can just go 'kk sparring over, we're done here, bye' and just leave. But she's too set off to think that calmly at this point, I think. Although she did come close with the 'I don't owe you anything' last page.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 8, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rannum posted:

Just one of those things you don't think too much about beyond the gulf between Magical Girl School and Normal School or how no one has cell phones since it's just the conceit of "modern day magical girl" setting

It's been a while, but wasn't there a bit about how radio signals don't work? Which presumably is to explain why magical girls don't all have radio links while they're on patrol in case poo poo goes sideways and they can call others for help or something.

The city in general doesn't seem to have 21st century levels of technology, actually.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 14, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Flare guns would be a pretty good idea, now that you mention it.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Ah well, maybe they tried it and it just made monsters swarm or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's gotta be Not A Coincidence how much goops looks like monster-drained people, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gnome, I think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E: misread

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Basically revenge of the nerds is about how a bunch of football players, with the faculty doing nothing, take it upon themselves to try to drive a cabal of sex offenders off and protect their girlfriends who are being preyed upon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sixteen Candles is still held up as a kind of ideal romantic movie and it's just as bad about rape as Revenge of the Nerds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It must be so exhausting to gently caress in the oglaf-verse considering the very best scenario is that your lover turns into an enchanted fig pudding.

Ugh I just tried to go to Oglaf to read this by typing it into the chrome bar so I could just do the usual lazy 'just search and click the first result' and it doesn't even show up in Google's results, I guess it's too adult for them, even with safesearch off. :rolleyes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the very least the England arc has had a more forward movement on the core Lucrezia/Other/Time mystery than the others have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loving the irony of a pixel art webcomic not being high enough DPI for printing. (Although come on I bet you could ESRGAN it well enough)

(E: got curious about that and ran a few panels through the models I have at hand, most of which aren't targeted for this, best I got still has a bit of blah on some of the letters but it's not half bad - SOURCE / RESULT. Could probably do great with a wider search of models. Biggest trouble I think is that I'm pretty sure all of the images were originally gifs so they've been dithered to hell, I'd probably get better results running one of those and then an upscale but this is as far as my curiosity is going to take me tonight)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 20, 2021