Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I didn't mind PFSC ending but completely erasing it (And the follow up Michael Keaton comic) from existence...that seemed a bit much. But "John Campbell" was pretty clearly in a bad, bad place when everything went down, and I sincerely hope that they are doing better now.

I finally found an archive of the whole thing about a month ago, though, and I'm glad to have it. I've already made many copies. (No such luck on the Michael Keaton series, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hmm, so Mildred has interacted with Erin Winters (Though I am not sure she was aware she was "gone" to begin with) - but does she know that The Boy has returned as well?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Galvanik posted:

At least Penny Arcade stopped doing that ridiculous red tumor nose they that was so common a couple years back.

Big red noses and everybody had chipmunk teeth. It looked like the art design you'd find in the Little Golden Book Tijuana Bible.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Straight White Shark posted:

I know it's sad to feel nostalgic for the garbage fire that is Penny Arcade but man seeing some of those old strips make me really miss PA circa 10 years ago.

Oh yeah, I can read pretty much any strip from late 2001 through like 2008 and remember exactly what was going on in my life when it originally ran. It makes me miss everything from circa 10 years ago - the strip, video games in general, the world at large, etc.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Tim Jones manages to answer the question: how could I make this mess even worse than it already is:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171009

I've heard of Pennyroyal Tea, but this is ridiculous!!!

(Watch Tim Jones inadvertently retcon Erin and Estace's tenuous relationship with mortality.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Will Faye and this musclebot just get it on already!!!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Meanwhile in Scarygoround, the most incompetently planned mystery investigation ever continues to unravel:

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20171026

Suddenly: MY FAR-SHINER

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tollymain posted:

also i just want to point out it's gonna be loving weird for that kid when they discover loss

There's going to be a LOT of weird stuff for that kid when they discover their dad is Tim Buckley. Photos of his junk on the Internet, for example.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

HMS Beagle posted:

John Allison has made the least surprising announcement of the year.

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/927936079415709697

I knew it

Also fuckin' again with the Robert Cop tease! Quit playing games with my heart!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

Fuckin christ zen pencils

what the gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIVnOZZog8

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

IronSaber posted:

It still makes me sad how the PfSC guy went crazy and burned his books. :(

PfSC was very, very good and I hope that The Person Formerly Known as John Campbell is in a better place these days, mentally.

I think about this one every time I see a commercial for Google Home/Alexa/whatever

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Calaveron posted:

I am Jeff Jacks irl ama

When are the big gal and the robot lady gonna gently caress

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Android Blues posted:

It's weird that the reader knows that Little Claire did an arson once, but the Mystery Kids don't.

They should be more observant, the signs are out there in the open

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I am not sure how to even begin formulating a pronunciation for "Jacxon."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Literally "Jackson".

First instinct

Archenteron posted:

Jason with a silent x?

But on second reading...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also it seems like if you wanted to keep your parents together, maybe you should have stopped yourself from interfering in the experiment that blew up your house and led to the breakup in the first place, Scout.

Well, there's that answered.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ZearothK posted:

I wonder if John Allison's original plan was to literally have Scout blow up the party and kill every single character from Scary Go Round to end the comic.

Almost certainly. The final print collection of the original Scary Go Round includes rough draft notes and concept sketches for how he wanted to end SGR back in 2009 - which involved a Tackleford-leveling battle between giant robots that was to leave just 3 or 4 named characters alive in the end (I want to say they were Esther and the Mystery Girls? I don't have the book at hand to check at the moment.) It seems like JA's default setting when he's planning on winding a project down is "Burn it to the ground," only to mellow considerably when he sits down to actually commit the story to record. That final panel of Scout is sufficiently ominous, though.

Missing from Shelley's party: my favorite Tackleford personality/crowd shot filler, TV's Mr. Gravy

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
She's going to get Grendel killed, isn't she

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Everybody in Tackleford is aware that they are being watched at all times, has taken an Intro to Theatre class, and that is why they always play everything "open" to the audience/camera.

I mean, how else do you explain Shelley and Amy's unique gymnastics? (I think that's my favorite guest comic ever; to this day I admire that Allison would willfully publish such a scathing takedown of...pretty much his whole steeze, to that point.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Screw Zebus, there's more important things afoot...footie!

(Allison posting doodles of whatever he finds asinine at the moment is always a treat)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

So is Fit-mum in Scarygoround someone I'm supposed to recognize from Bobbins, or is it a new character?

New character, assuming there won't be some retcon in the near future.

I checked SGR last night right after midnight and saw a different strip that's probably a day or two ahead in the story...checking it again this morning out of habit threw me for a loop.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

A little disappointed that he doesn't talk in all caps all the time.

Also from earlier this week I completely overlooked the fact that Georgia's surname is Cheeseman.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That article struck me as more damning of everybody who was around it and said nothing for all those years, given that John K has a reputation even among casual animation fans as "Oh yeah, that guy's a total creep." Every revelation in that Buzzfeed piece was simultaneously shocking in its content and the least surprising thing imaginable, given his reputation and general vibe. (I recall reading something about his "mentorship" of young women in the field well over a decade ago that soured me on him forever, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was.)

Dude must be amazingly charismatic in person, though, to inspire that kind of loyalty. To convince people who are working on The Ripping Friends to think "This is groundbreaking, important stuff; stuff that's going to make my career! I should probably just keep my mouth shut about him showing me those photos of unconscious teen girls and/or his genitals."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tollymain posted:

there's nothing about the latest scary go round that i can really point to and say "this is worth posting about in the webcomics thread" but also i really like the latest scary go round

Good to see that Romesh is still gainfully employed at Amy's.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Allison's troll game is on point. Does he read the thread? :tinfoil:

Every use of Desmond Fishman since the end of Scary Go Round has been a "Oi, about half me fans hate this bloke" troll. It's not limited to this thread.

(If you do read the thread JA please reformat your website so your strips aren't cramped into a frame 75% the size of the actual artwork. It kills all the little details, like Shelley's Lunar Sea Trilogy poster in today's strip.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Will Linton and Mildred just snog already!!!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

In the latest pages of Back, the main villains watch their henchman and the hero go to town on television in a caged pro wrestling match, all the while providing color commentary. :bahgawd:

I liked it a lot

I could absolutely hear JR and Jerry's voices in those last few panels.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

howe_sam posted:

In happier news, it's good to see that Lottie's mystery instincts are as sharp as ever.

I hope we get to meet Nega-Erin sooner rather than later

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's more of a :stonk: if you ask me.

Erin's look in the last panel, I think.

JethroMcB posted:

When are the big gal and the robot lady gonna gently caress

6 months later...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Does anybody know why Jerkcity became Bonequest

I just checked in for the first time in a while and have a lot of questions

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Don't forget the Gravy!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, Scary Go Round is going on hiatus with the end of this story that's being published next Friday.

But it is a hiatus, not a permanent stoppage.

Also I feel like the anticlimax was somehow exactly perfect.

I'm okay with this but Allison is such a workaholic that I don't foresee this hiatus lasting more than like a month. He cycles through "I have to take a break"/"I couldn't stay away, a new story begins Monday" so regularly now.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Scary Go Round update: Uh-oh.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, its nice to see Scary Go Round come to its hiatus with some solidarity (although it might just be Lottie circumventing her lifetime swimming ban) and dunking on Linton (also, dunking Linton). Apparently the goal is to make a comeback before August.

Also, have a one-page Shelley and Lottie comic.

And another one page Lottie and Friends comic. I hope these continue during the hiatus.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
SGR hiatus update:

John Allison posted:

*** Upcoming, in order subject to change ***
ENGLISH COUNTRY GARDEN - Shauna Wickle deals with home horticulture at its most vicious.

YOGA SHE WRITES (MURDER SHE WRITES 2) - Shelley Winters and Charlotte Grote enter a world of lycra-clad intrigue.

CODSWALLOP - Desmond Fishman is forced into the underground wrestling scene.

HERE TO HELP - Unable to re-enter the workplace, Eustace Boyce attempts to put his unusual skillset to good use.

I think that's 33 weeks of comics fully plotted/completely written. After these I'll probably have to go into seclusion again. But they'll tide us over until then.

He also notes a switch back to larger sized pages, but also going to a M-W-F schedule.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

https://twitter.com/badmachinery/status/1027144796127813632

I can't wait to see what he's up to.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
You've come a long way from drawing a knock-off Calvin hanging out with a Raver Girl, baby

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tollymain posted:

lmao i guess thats also a thing that is true

but nah its more of a "jesus how long have i been reading this how old am i" thing

And yet only days have passed in the QC Universe (QCniverse)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Samuringa posted:

pfsc was too precious and I'm sad it was taken down now that I can appreciate it's dark humor more

There are archives out there, though I'm afraid nobody made a backup of Campbell's followup series "Michael Keaton"

(I've got a framed print of this one)

PFSC also had one of my favorite Kate Beaton guest strips:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AriadneThread posted:

really? one of the last things i got out of the kickstarter was a (mostly complete) site archive that included the michael keaton comics

Oh, I had no idea. I really enjoyed that whole series...love the comic where Michael Keaton gets to LA and immediately meets Michael Douglas.