Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

Can you, like, recycle your old furnaces or anything? Or is the only option to just smash them into oblivion?

Only Stone Furnaces which can be used to make Boilers. Steel furnaces are only useful longer if you're okay with going pollution heavy like for the mentioned achievement for not using solar. Eventually then, you'll probably want to move to electric ones anyway just because modules besides efficiency mean you'll be getting more stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Speed Modules (Blue) are useful for steel furnaces since they take longer to smelt than anything else. Other than that there's really no issue to just sticking efficiency in them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, getting coal isn't that hard. And given how rare the circuits for the advanced modules are, it's usually cheaper to just build more furnaces

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If radar uses that much power, do you turn it off during major Biter assaults when the lasers need it? (You don't need radar at that point since you know where the bugs are)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Where is your nuclear power?
Also: you need so much copper, iron and concrete for the above that you are best off just mining everything, produce/smelt it and stick it in chest buffers to allow you some flexibility in production expansion.

I found the best reason to move to electric furnices is that you no longer need the belt logistics of coal. Modules take up to many resources that I would rather spend on tech and build the additional production facilities, so I only use those in the EndGame...

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

TheLoneBadger posted:

If radar uses that much power, do you turn it off during major Biter assaults when the lasers need it? (You don't need radar at that point since you know where the bugs are)

Nope. I don't think there's a real good way to do this, but also my playstyle is such that major Biter assaults are really rare. I'm more of the attack-them-first mindset. I could have a control somewhere to shut them down, but the odds that I'd get to the switch soon enough to matter aren't high. Putting such things all over the place would be a major pain.

In thinking about this, it could definitely be useful for radar, once they've extended to their full reach in scouting new terrain, to be off most of the time and just turn on once in a while to double-check things. A combinator system to do that could be rigged up I'm sure without too much hassle. Really comes down to 'is it really worth it?'. IMO the answer is usually going to be no, because you can just build more power capacity fairly trivially.

Keetron posted:

Where is your nuclear power?

Not researched yet. It's one of the more expensive projects.

Keetron posted:

you need so much copper, iron and concrete for the above that you are best off just mining everything, produce/smelt it and stick it in chest buffers to allow you some flexibility in production expansion.

I find that's more hassle than it's worth; if I'm using more than I'm producing I'd rather it be more obvious. But this is another good example(along with upgrading furnaces, etc.) of the fact that different playstyles are quite usable.

Glazius posted:

Or is the only option to just smash them into oblivion?

You can do this -- there's no use for them -- but I just store them somewhere and forget about them for the rest of the game. Otherwhise, throw them in a wooden chest or something and shoot destroy the chest with a shotgun/grenade/etc. Akin to the DF atomsmashing routine.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I set myself the following goals for the next couple of hours:

** Finish electric furnacing in the steel area.
** Get laser turrets going.
** Mine the iron deposit by the northwest lake.
** A few things still need efficiency modules. Refineries I noticed don't have them, and I need to take a bunch over to the research zone.
** Double or more the red circuit assemblers; throughput to the research area on those is better but it still sucks.
** Get production vials(purple) going.
** Keep throwing concrete around; I pretty much have a path to get everywhere important at least.

Little chance that all that gets done, but you never get everything done in Factorio. When the steel area is finished 10 minutes or so later, I have 16 furnaces there and I think I can fit another 8-10 in this area before I have a problem with space. Don't know if I'll need that much or not.

So, laser turrets. Those require steel, green circuits ... and batteries. Turns out that near where I have the robots built all those components are fairly close together already. An easy setup. While I'm over there, efficiency modules get thrown in all my refineries and chemical plants -- and I notice that we have too much ... petroleum gas. That's hilarious. Heavy oil is down to about 20k(from 100k) in storage, but both light oil and the gas are maxed out. Sulfur and plastic are backed up also -- we simply need to use more downstream.

That ... can be arranged. After throwing together the laser turret assembling machine, I head north a ways and add another dozen red circuit assemblers. While there, I notice this:

Not even enough green circuits to feed the ones I already have. Okay then. Back to the other end of the factory, snagging some concrete on the way. I knew this was going to be a problem eventually; I'm still laughably using the same TWO assemblers that I had automated shortly after I got the initial bus going like 15 or so hours ago. I triple it to six; let's see how much that makes the copper smelters groan.

Giving that some time to play out, I head up northwest to get that other iron field set up. It's an easy one to do, not far from existing power lines, clear space all around. Being on the edge of a lake is a bit fiddly, but no big deal, and I put a few laser turrets at the nearby walls, including both radar stations in the vicinity. We'll see how that holds if they come attack us. It's probably a when.

I set up a very stupid-looking ore interchange, but basically what it does is send what the two big fields in the north make to the main iron smelting area, while the smaller ones feed into the steel.

That's just -- I don't even have the words. But it works, darn it. I then discover, to my total lack of surprise, that I now need more copper -- some of the green-circuit assemblers aren't doing anything because they aren't getting any. Next fix is to up the furnace count there from 14 to 24, and upgrade the first part of the copper lane on the bus to fast transport belts like I did with the iron. I'll give that some time to percolate through and see what happens: back to the research zone to add in the purple stuff.

Well ... maybe I won't do that quite yet. To make room I need to clear these bastards out. I think it's time to fire up those labs and see what we can get -- I expect we'll run into some things that can help us fight better before needing the production vials.

** Personal Roboport(50 RGA) -- Starting with the quick ones as always. For the stranded space traveler on the go, the Personal Roboport draws power from modular armor suites and allows the convenience of worker robots(construction/logistics) anywhere. I throw this in place of one of my energy shields, but the power draw is a lot for this suit.

** Worker Robot Speed 1(50 RGA) -- They now fly around 35% faster.

** Exoskeleton Equipment(50 RGA) -- Increases movement speed and also plugs into armor. Enough of these and you'll be saying car?? Who needs a car??? Unfortunately they require processing units, which I haven't invented yet.

** Speed Module 2(75 RGA) -- Like the first speed module, only better. +30% speed, +60% energy. This is not the module I'm looking for.

** Productivity Module 2(75 RGA) -- Also not the one I want. +60% energy required, -15% speed, +6% productivity, +7.5% pollution.

** Efficiency Module 2(75 RGA) -- There we go. I don't need these yet, but it's enough to make me stop making the regular ones. -40% Energy Consumption with no negative effects. Also need Processing Units. Grrr. That's 10% better than the first ones though, allowing anything with even two slots to get down to the minimum 20% energy footprint.

** Braking Force(100 RGA) -- An upgrade for trains, it improves brakes by 10%. Less time slowing down means more time at top speed and faster delivery.

** Electric Energy Distribution 2(100 RGA) -- The latest in electricity systems developments brings us the Substation, which supplies power to a much wider area(18x18) than anything else. Definitely worth having around. Steel, red circuits, copper are required. There's a pattern here. Anything worth having lately needs red circuits.

** Character logistics trash slots 2(100 RGA) -- +6 to the number of trash slots I have to put things for the bots to store for me.

** Worker robot speed 2(100 RGA) -- Another +40%. Now they can move around a lot faster, greatly increasing bot efficiency.

** Battery MK2 Equipment(100 RGA) -- An improved battery to store suit energy. Requires the processing unit, but has 5x the storage capacity of my current model(100 MJ to 20).

** Military 3(100 RGBA) -- Three new toys here. The Poison Capsule creates an area-affect cloud that does a small amount of damage to anything in it; the Slowdown Capsule makes any enemies it hits slower; and the Combat Shotgun has double the fire rate of the standard variant, and does 20% more damage.

** Tanks(75 RGBA) -- I've never bothered with these but I may this time. A car upgrade that can take a lot more damage and has two guns including a heavier one that gets special ammunition. Cannon shells pack a serious punch(200 physical damage, 100 Explosion each). Excellent against hardened targets.

** Explosive Rocketry(100 RGBA) -- Take a standard rocket, add a couple explosives, and get an improved version that does an additional 40 explosion damage on top of the usual 100.

** Cannon Shell Damage 1(100 RGBA) -- Upgrades for the tank guns.

** Cannon Shell Shooting Speed 1(100 RGBA) -- Another one for rate-of fire. The research area is going ahead full-steam.

** Laser Turret Damage 3(100 RGBA) -- +30%. This should help our wall defenses, which are all getting switched out from standard to laser models. I've also added a couple more solar sections as the steam's been switching on a bit at night again.

** Personal Laser Defense(100 RGBA) -- This very useful toy is basically a personal laser turret that plugs into the armor. Once again I can't build it(req. processing units). We'll have ourselves a few things to do once I get the ability to build those.

** Discharge Defense(100 RGBA) -- Another personal defense system which stuns and damages with electrical charge. I've never experimented with this.

At this point I made it around to the research area and noticed the aqua vials were falling behind, so I upgraded from 4 to 10 assemblers there.

** Character logistics slots 3(150 RGA) -- This will make things easier; I can now request 16 items to be refilled instead of 10.

** Auto character logistics trash slots(150 RGA) -- Here's an example of this:

I think this is new to 0.15. Either way it's pretty cool. Just set a limit of any inventory item here, and the extras automatically get removed. This is really useful when you are taking down a bunch of stuff to re-do an area ... all the extra material you collect just gets stored for you.

Another set of cannon shell upgrades follows(150 RGBA for each).

Average usage is up to a little over 28 MW. You can see here that the electric furnaces are starting to rival the radar stations for the big users spot. We used some steam power due to a missed connection with the solar add-ons. That's fixed now.

A slow, steady rise for the iron ... and that copper cable isn't far behind.

Item Count: 37
Total Production: 351k(+83% from 192k)

Another way of looking at this expanded use of ... lots of things ... is that there were 23 different items that we made at least a thousand of in the past hour. We hadn't approached 300k before so this is definitely a new peak.

Resources

** Iron: 52k primary(12k used per hour), 18k supplemental(2k), 158k western(11k used), 756k northeast(26k). Won't be long until everything currently feeding steel(the two smaller fields) is history.

** Copper: 515k(33k). It was even more than this the last hour. I don't think we've got much more than 10 hours to go here, but it's still going to be quite a while before we have to worry about it. There are two fields pretty close at over half a million each.

** Stone: 329k(4.5k). The concrete filled up once, which slowed down the usage here. It'll be interesting to see how the steel bricks go once I eventually get the production research going.

** Coal: 170k steam power(1k), 277k factory(4k used), 1M train(negligible). The old field that was feeding steel isn't connected. I'll eventually hook it up to the bus if needed, but I may not even ever have to use it.

** Crude Oil: 199/sec(-2). No worries.

It's going to be all about the iron and copper for a long time I think.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The tank actually now also comes with a Flamethrower. As well as the Cannon and Machine gun.
My last playthrough I found explosive shells more effective than standard. Even if the more advanced bullets mean you'll quite possibly do more damage with machine guns. Cannon feels a lot more satisfying. I should really stack running legs next time and play around going super fast.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish you could build cannon and rocket towers, and that you could build robutt turrets that could be supplied directly by logistic bots. Requester chests are way too deep down in the tech tree for anything beyond just spamming lasers everywhere to be reasonable.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

I wish you could build cannon and rocket towers, and that you could build robutt turrets that could be supplied directly by logistic bots. Requester chests are way too deep down in the tech tree for anything beyond just spamming lasers everywhere to be reasonable.

In my last solo, and multiplayer games, we have rushed Requester tech once we get logistics bots. Self-requesting heavy turrets would be nice though.
Laser turrets are very convenient for remote defense, but it'd be nice to be able to do something fancy rather than just MORE LASERS.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

In my last solo, and multiplayer games, we have rushed Requester tech once we get logistics bots. Self-requesting heavy turrets would be nice though.
Laser turrets are very convenient for remote defense, but it'd be nice to be able to do something fancy rather than just MORE LASERS.

Ultimately that's one of the reasons why I started to (effectively) turn the bugs off in my games. They're just not that interesting as an antagonistic force compared to figuring out my own incompetence and working around that.

Also I am of the firm opinion that all endgame armors should have 2-3 exolegs in them. That plus concrete and it's just WOAH.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Flame turrets are wonderful though, especially if the biters are charging through, what used to be, a thick forest. That is a thing of beauty you will miss.

Also today I learned that if you build a huge U-shape of roboports the bots will attempt to go straight across despite running out of fuel little over halfway right next to a biter camp if they do. :shepface:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, interesting. You can set yourself up with an overflow that automatically gets pointed to master storage?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Poil posted:

Flame turrets are wonderful though, especially if the biters are charging through, what used to be, a thick forest.

I like flamethrower turrets. I just don't like them enough to pipe the oil for several miles around a perimeter when other turret types will work just fine. But they are definitely quite cool.

Glazius posted:

You can set yourself up with an overflow that automatically gets pointed to master storage?

Not sure what you mean here by automatically. It won't go there unless you direct it there(splitters, inserters, belts to transport it). If I wanted to store a bunch of extra iron, for example, I'd just split off however much from the smelting area. Wouldn't be that hard to set up a refill belt to merge with the bus whenever there was a shortfall.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I really want to push out to the east more and get those other vials going while I have the time -- but that would be a miserable grind at best right now. Need some of the research that'll be coming in soon. I observed the power draw on an overnight cycle, and noticed that over 80% of the accumulator storage was used up; from 2 GJ down to less than 400 MW. It's enough, but we could use more. We've got 9 solar sections, it wouldn't hurt to work that up to, say, a dozen or so.

At this point, any such additions means rerouting power lines and/or ore transport belts and/or clear-cutting forests. Sometimes all of the above. Very doable but it's not just fire-and-forget.

** Braking Force 2(200 RGA) -- Another 15% improvement to train brakes. If I really try, I can almost care about this.

Some of the solar stuff just forces me to improve things, such as here:

On the left, big power poles replace the small ones on the right; that line is removed. Both work -- but one is definitely cleaner than the other.

I also thought it'd be a good idea to have another source of iron for the steel smelting going. I think that's going to be the next big raw resource issue. Here there's a 400k-strong field in the research area that's pretty much just in the way, and another one worth almost 100k in the forest to the west of that, between there and our oil operation. Minimal effort to set up and it would future-proof things a bit. We're already taking from five different iron patches; this will up that to seven. I don't even know what to call all of them at this point, but I do know that we need to keep expanding our sources and these are the options left within the walls. It's a straight-shot basically due west from these over to where the steel is, so it makes a lot of sense.

** Worker Robot Cargo Size 1(200 RGA) -- Logistic and Construction bots can now carry two items at a time, instead of one. Naturally this doubles their effectiveness at whatever it is we have them doing.

Takes about 20 minutes to get the new iron line running, and while I'm over in the research area I take a look; we're up to about half the labs running at once. That's better, but not good. The holdup is still the third-tier Aqua-colored vials, and this time we just need more mining drill assemblers. I triple those from 2 to 6.

** Power Armor(200 RGA) -- Here's one to make you stand up and take notice; for multiple reasons. First, the bad news of the cost:

** 40x Processing Units(which we still can't make)
** 20x Electric Engine Units
** 40x Steel Plate

That's a little bit of material. For that we get an upgrade over our current armor, with the following specs:

** Acid Resistance(7/30%) -- up from 5/30%
** Explosion Resistance(40/40%) -- 30/35%
** Fire Resistance(0/60%) -- 0/40%
** Physical Resistance(8/30%) -- 6/30%
** +20 Inventory bonus -- +10
** 7x7 Grid Size -- 5x5, half the size.
** 15k Durability -- 10k

This is a pretty big jump. Once we get that Processing Unit spec, there's going to be a lot of toys that are opened up for us. Next on the research path are a whole bunch of 200 RGBA military upgrades. Rockets, bullets, laser turrets, shotguns, regular turrets, combat robots -- all in all, ten of them at that price that I'm just going to hammer out here. All upgrades to current capabilities, none with anything new to build. Definitely going to focus on making sure research is running smoothly, and this is a good time to keep expanding solar, make sure logistical issues are handled, etc.

So, after slapping down another 1600 slabs of concrete, another drop in the bucket there, it's back out to see how the labs are faring. The answer unfortunately is 'about the same'. Here's why:

I'm actually getting even less out of this than before(two of the six assemblers working, and those only part-time). We have an iron shortage, one of the most common and feared Factorio maladies. Each of the mining drills takes 15 plates each, so we need a crapton of it to keep the aqua vials running. Back we go to trace the problem to it's source. Some gets taken off at various points and those drills for the aqua vials are the last stop on the bus, but even tracing it back before the research area, before the oil area, there still isn't that much ...

Little more than a smattering or a trickle.

Here's a bit clearer picture of the problem. As the iron comes around the bend here from southbound to westbound, it's over half a red belt full but not nearly saturated. Then some goes off for iron gear wheels, more goes off for the green circuits, and there just isn't enough left. Half a standard yellow belt of it at most. I don't have a throughput problem; I have a production problem.

Almost 90k iron per hour right now, and it's not enough. Alrighty then. All 30 electric furnaces on the task are running non-stop: I just need more than that. I can put a few more in the column but not enough; it takes about 46 to saturate a red belt. So basically I need a second iron-smelting column. Time to chop some trees, move some water piping, fun stuff like that.

That thar is a few smelters, by golly! 60 iron ones now. Only about 35 or so have modules, and the total energy bill went up to about 31 MW once they were switched on. I checked the overnight accumulator performance: just barely enough, with 90% of the energy drained. I'd rather not build any more standard efficiency modules; I want the 2nd-tier ones, but those need processing units, which I can't make -- so it's more solar.

We have 11 grids in place. 1700 panels. 441 accumulators. Not enough. Gotta love it. Added a couple more, and it took a while for everything to trickle on through, but this was nice to see.

I'll have to see how everything balances out, but for the moment we've got enough now to supply all 20 Labs. That's where I want to be at the moment, to get our research going at a reasonable pace. We still could use more iron flowing down the line though, and I've got time ...

Here's a throughput problem. Where the belt switches from red to yellow, it's backing up now. Just started doing it as I got back to check. Need to push the red sections further down the line to increase the flow. For most of the line this time, as there wasn't significant iron usage at this point until you basically get down to the research area. I think we're going up to a full red belt of iron all the way through the bus now.

This was interrupted by attack warnings blaring. The very east end. By the time I got there ...

Our new iron field, feeding the steel, has annoyed them. One wall section, two transport belt sections, two mining drills, and a medium electrical pole were the losses. Not bad, but if this had been a bigger attack there would have been more trouble. I put up another laser turret where they came through.

I think it's time for a brief expedition. If I'm careful, I can probably take out the smaller outposts circled in white here without aggravating the bigger ones. The increased activity out here with the drills and the ramped-out up research output is pushing the pollution outwards, they don't like it, and I'm not ready for a major offensive push yet until I get the new armor and other toys so I've got to put up as many turret defenses as are necessary here.

It was fairly routine, with one exception -- an unusual concentration for such smallish clusters of larger worms at one of them. They did too much damage for the 'flamethrower circle' to work, but the defender robots were able to take care of the biters, and picking the worms off from afar with rockets did the trick quite nicely. I had to recharge the armor once, and used the time to finish out putting the red belt all the way through on iron.

Vials of all colors are now backing up at the research zone. That isn't to say all is well -- but all is certainly well enough for current needs. As I'm looking at what to do next while update-related research proceeds, this happened:

That's a fair amount of things. Lately they've been bringing me a lot of new red(fast) transport belts, which means more iron had to be diverted there for replenishing that supply -- improving the iron flow meant using more iron for stuff other than where I want it to flow to. A perverse, if temporary, issue.

After doing a little mining maintenance and laying down another batch of concrete, I turned my attention to this. I've got to decide how to handle getting ready for end-game level smelting. I don't know how much will be required ... but I do know it'll be a lot more than I've got now. There's coal and the stone production to the north, and I can't extend far enough to the south. This has worked for most of the game and can work a while longer, but it won't work forever.

The most I can stack up is about 18 'high', or 36 smelters emptying onto a belt with one on each side. The capacity of the red ones requires 46, and that's without even considering any future changes in furnaces or belts that are coming. So we need a big area where we can put whatever ridiculous amount of copper/iron we might need, then transport the plates from there to here.

Thought about tilting it sideways and coming in from the east -- that forest could go easily enough but the oil would be too close and there's not really room.

I think right in the middle of this, basically north of there, is where I want to put it. The solar can expand to the west as needed, but I'll reserve this area, where we had green/black research once upon a time. It's fairly clear except for some inconsequential stone and coal fields that there's basically no reason to care about. I don't want to mess with this yet; I'll wait until it's time to take another research break because it's going to require a lot of time and basically shutting down factory production for a while to make this happen. Much will need to be put in place.

I've reached a moment where there really isn't anything that needs to be done. I could do a variety of logistical things, but I'd just end up redoing them later anyway. So it's time to simply wait for more research to finish up. A small tweak here or there, but nothing substantive.

Three more upgrade projects to get through, then I'll start getting some new stuff again.

33 MW average usage. Over 9 MW of that is the electric furnaces, our top consumer now -- and they aren't all running -- there's more smelting capacity than ore coming through right now.

I'll have to go to red belt on the copper ore to increase that any more. It's ok for now. Ore throughput is the limiter on iron now as well, which has spiked more after the new furnaces were laid down. I expect to pretty much keep up this level until we get further on in the research.

Item Count: 34
Total Production: 440k(+25% from 351k)

Almost double what we were doing a few hours ago, and not far from a half-million items an hour. We've now excavated over a million units of iron alone.

Resources

** Iron: 1.44M primary, 559k steel. To shorten this list, I decided to just add up all the iron patches that are being fed to each area. 'Primary' now refers to everything being fed into the main smelting area, iron for the bus, as distinguished from steel. 18 hours worth here based on the current rate of production. Good for now but we can't get comfortable. Another good argument for expanding our 'borders' -- every inch of available ore within our walls has a mining drill on top of it.

** Copper: 436k(39.5k). We'll need to get another field set up for this soon. That's as good a way to spend the waiting time as any, most likely.

** Stone: 329k(4.5k). The concrete filled up once, which slowed down the usage here. It'll be interesting to see how the steel bricks go once I eventually get the production research going.

** Coal: 170k steam power(1k), 277k factory(4k used), 1M train(negligible). The old field that was feeding steel isn't connected. I'll eventually hook it up to the bus if needed, but I may not even ever have to use it.

** Crude Oil: 199/sec(-2). No worries.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you want to get flamethrower turrets set up, but don't want to deal with a bunch of oil pipes, why not use barrels? You'd need and Assembler to put the oil into barrels at the loading area, and another one to get the oil out at the turret spot, plus inserters to shift the barrels in and out. You could probably just plunk down a tank, run pipes from there to the flamethrowers, and manually shove a stack of filled barrels into the Assembler to drain them, so it'd work kind of like the manually loaded conventional turrets. You could probably run power out there to run inserters, but there comes a point where you have to step back and say "why not just use a handful of lasers?"

Also, how much crap do you need to have on a belt before you throw your hands up and go "gently caress it, trains it is"? I'm assuming that trains can have a higher throughput, since you can load up a bunch of cars, but make up for this by being more complicated. At some point, what I'd like to see is just "the train picks up ore at all these different fields, dumps it off at the Grand Processing Station, and then that iron is put on the bus." I suspect that when you get enough different fields and they're sufficiently wide spread, this may be more appealing than trying to belt it all back.

Speaking of the bus, an interesting thing that compares some of what you do to software design (that is design, not actual coding). I didn't get the idea of the central bus carrying a whole bunch of commonly used items at the time, so I stumbled into encapsulation of features all on my own: this place needs Red Science, so I shovel in iron and copper and Red Science comes out the other side, and I don't have to worry too much about fine tuning the resource levels. Not as efficient, of course, but a hell of a lot easier to build and understand.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

MechaCrash posted:

Also, how much crap do you need to have on a belt before you throw your hands up and go "gently caress it, trains it is"? I'm assuming that trains can have a higher throughput, since you can load up a bunch of cars, but make up for this by being more complicated. At some point, what I'd like to see is just "the train picks up ore at all these different fields, dumps it off at the Grand Processing Station, and then that iron is put on the bus." I suspect that when you get enough different fields and they're sufficiently wide spread, this may be more appealing than trying to belt it all back.

Speaking of the bus, an interesting thing that compares some of what you do to software design (that is design, not actual coding). I didn't get the idea of the central bus carrying a whole bunch of commonly used items at the time, so I stumbled into encapsulation of features all on my own: this place needs Red Science, so I shovel in iron and copper and Red Science comes out the other side, and I don't have to worry too much about fine tuning the resource levels. Not as efficient, of course, but a hell of a lot easier to build and understand.

You don't use Trains for throughput, you use them for distance. Each cargo car can only hold a single steel chest's worth of stuff and combined with travel time and load/unload time you really need to take advantage of how fast trains are to get them to beat out belts. I've had the grand processing station idea for my train network kicking around in my head a bit but there's one thing that keep me from doing it: doing your smelting on-site gives you twice as much train efficiency than if you were just to ship the ore since ore stacks at 50 whiles plates stack at 100. Plus since you need to line power out to the fields anyway in order to power the drills there's no reason not to line out a bit extra for a line of smelters for that field.

There is one benefit to keeping your central bus fairly limited: the bigger the bus is the more space you need to finagle in order to actually split lines off of that bus. That lets you encapsulate more things in your factory. The only place it really breaks down with is when the super-slow intermediates start getting involved because seriously, red (and blue) circuits are just painfully slow to make.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

MechaCrash posted:

If you want to get flamethrower turrets set up, but don't want to deal with a bunch of oil pipes, why not use barrels?

Interesting link btw. On this, I'm now adding a bunch more stuff to produce that I don't need, and more importantly I tend to do a fairly low-pollution style. Flamethrower turrets are going to pollute some on their own -- and when they get hold of a forest as mentioned, they're going to pollute a crapton. It doesn't matter after a certain point, but I've not yet reached that(biter evolution is most of the way there, but I haven't seen any of the real big boys yet and I'm ok with it if I never do).

MechaCrash posted:

t some point, what I'd like to see is just "the train picks up ore at all these different fields, dumps it off at the Grand Processing Station, and then that iron is put on the bus." I suspect that when you get enough different fields and they're sufficiently wide spread, this may be more appealing than trying to belt it all back.

I'm starting get close to this. I've never done it before, but it may be coming. EponymousMrYar's point about it being more efficient to smelt on site is well-taken, but that also has the downside of more set-up and tear-down as you exhaust various resource patches. I'm leaning towards doing something this in the late-game. As far as when, well, as a general rule I think I'm going to do it when all the iron within my 'borders', aka walls, is exhausted. I expect to screw it up badly at first, but that's half the fun then isn't it?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

couldn't you build walled enclaves with turrets, linked by rail?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

V. Illych L. posted:

couldn't you build walled enclaves with turrets, linked by rail?

That is how one generally mines/imports resources from out of town. Trains don't personally need defending. Between repair bots and their speed they'll be fine. Your powerlines on the other hand...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

That is how one generally mines/imports resources from out of town. Trains don't personally need defending. Between repair bots and their speed they'll be fine. Your powerlines on the other hand...

Are just fine unless they're in the way of an expansion party.

The drills that create pollution are what'll set off the biters.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The 'walled enclave' approach is what I did with the big crude-oil area before I extended the base perimeter out that far to the east, and that's definitely the approach I would use for iron as well when necessary. It was barely necessary in 0.14, but I got away with a single iron lane(not well, but it worked) in that game. Clearly that's not going to cut it here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does all that paved ground happen automatically or is it something you're doing deliberately?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's deliberate, you can make your own creep err..concrete by combining iron ore, stone and water together in a factory.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sage Grimm posted:

It's deliberate, you can make your own creep err..concrete by combining iron ore, stone and water together in a factory.

With mods and robots, it can even happen automatically.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even without mods, you could always just paint your whole base with a blueprint. It'll happen in time. And once you run out of stored concrete, they won't even steal all your bots.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Re: paving, I can't improve on those answers. I did a thing on the concrete setup and what I'm trying to do with it(cover all of my territory basically, but that clearly isn't going to happen as I'm not making enough and don't really want to throw any more effort into it), but I didn't make a big deal of it.

After setting up the new copper field, I did this little combo thing. Here's how this spaghetti demonstration works; the current(old) copper field sends it's ore in from the west here, before it eventually turns north and splits to feed each side of the smelting column. Coming in from the north, and then splitting to intersect from each side, is the new supply. In this way we'll use up the old mines first before starting to draw on the new ones.

Then I notice we've only got 3-4 active research labs again. Once more the problem is iron.

This is the main fast-belt line that takes ore to the smelters. It's close to full, but there's enough missing to make a significant difference. Without doing a major reworking of things, the best I can do is get this saturated. This took a very small change, from this:

To this:

This adds a third source which is enough to fully fill the belt. It also means less iron is coming from the north to the steel-smelting array -- but that just means it'll use more from the patches in the southeast. The bigger and more complex a factory is, the longer it takes any change to filter through and have an impact at the end. It took more than ten minutes, but eventually the research started to pick up. Meanwhile, we'd finally reached the end of the update projects.

Even with what I think are all the kinks worked out, we're still only using ten labs here, half of what I have placed and would like to be running at the moment. The only solution is a second belt of iron on the bus to increase flow, which I can't do with current input -- we need to expand to get more ore sources, I need to set up the new smelting area, etc. So for now, I'm just going to accept things being on the slow side.

** Combat Robotics 2(200 RGBA) -- Our first new toy in a while, the Distractor Capsule is basically a Defender upgrade; more expensive, 50% tougher, and higher damage. Due to having more than double the rate-of-fire, the Defender is actually still the better choice right now.

** Energy Shield MK2 Equipment(200 RGBA) -- Far more expensive than the ones I'm currently using and yet another thing that needs processing units, these absorb 3x the punishment(150 HP instead of 50). So they're basically a bargain at ten times the price.

** Lab Research Speed 3(250 RGA) -- Another 40% increase; now we're up to almost double the standard rate.

** Inserter Capacity Bonus 3(250 RGA) -- Stack inserters, which I'm not using yet but I don't think it will be all that far away, get another +1 to the amount they can move at a time.

Our iron field in the west is drying up, and when it goes the ore supply problem will return. As a stop-gap, I decide to move our wall out just a bit here. It's only a little over 100k, so it's only going to extend things by less than two hours overall. Better than nothing though.

After a couple of flamethrower upgrades which strangely both cost the same amount, we finally get to the next big breakthrough:

** Advanced Electronics 2(300 RGA) -- Two really important inventions here: the Processing Unit(blue circuits), and the Hi-Tech research vial(yellow). We'll get to the second one later: for now, the blue circuits are our concern as they will allow better combat capabilities, giving a better chance against the larger biter clusters.

They require green circuits(20), red circuits(2), and sulfuric acid(5). That last requirement means I can't fashion them by hand. I want a big production area for these as far west as possible: they need to go on the bus given how many things will require them. If you thought red circuits were slow -- the blue ones take almost twice as long to make(over 13 seconds each at current assembler tech).

Just east of the oil area is that lake that the bus detours around to the south. That seemed the best place to build the processing units; I started setting it up before the research finished.

Red and green circuits come off the bus, while sulfuric acid comes straight east basically from where it's produced. None of that is difficult. The hard part is going to be making enough of it -- esp. the green circuits. I started with a dozen assemblers here, which will output just under one processing unit per second. I'm quite sure I'm going to need a fair bit more than that -- and yet, even to satisfy that much, we're going to need to expand green circuit production to the point that a red lane on the bus will be needed to carry it all. Again, that's bare-minimum. Which means a LOT more copper is going to get used. Still, we've taken the next step and will get some of these made.

Another batch of military upgrades was next on the research docket, while I was focused on other things. Power Armor was first on the agenda, followed by other equipment for it. I also wanted to get Efficiency Module 2s up and running as soon as possible. With those, anything that is module-compatible could be reduced to minimum power draw.

Once that was going, it was a question of whether to try out the tank, or keep fighting on foot. The tank has 2000 HP -- each of the Mk2 energy shields affords me only 150. I don't know how it compares to the power armor in terms of resisting damage, but it seems that kind of durability is worth at least trying out.

It was pretty easy to put together the resources to build it. Looks very early 20th-century. I'm not as impressed at the moment. Let's look inside.

That's a lot of trunk space. To do this, I'm going to need fuel for the tank itself(800 KW consumption, 75% efficiency), which is more efficient than the car but also requires more than triple the energy. It's not like coal or solid fuel is lacking though. I also need ammunition for three weapons; cannon, machine gun, and flamethrower. Already keeping a supply up of the last two, and the first just needs plastic and explosives. I just grab a bunch and craft it for now -- I'll see how this thing runs before committing to a permanent assembly operation.

After one trial run, I'm sold. The main thing is the destructive power of this machine. The three weapons:

** Cannon -- Range 25, Rate of fire 0.94/second, 280 physical and 140 explosion damage for the standard shells I'm using(explosive ones are somewhat different). Also has 300 piercing power, which basically means armor is irrelevant. This is the anti-worm mode.

** Machine Gun -- Range 20, doubles the standard damage of magazine-based ammunition, and most importantly fires 31.5/second. 21/second for my trusty SMG that I carry.

** Flamethrower -- Range 9, 60/second firing rate. Actually is a much lower range than the hand-held one, which fires out to 15.

The flamethrower doesn't appear to be particularly useful. I felt like I was doing best using the machie gun to deal with the swarms and then switching to the cannon to take out the spawners/worms. That cannon and the punishment I can survive here is the main thing that sells me on the tank; being able to take out the worms safely at a distance, at least some of them anyway.

So ... really the next thing I need to do is build a bunch of cannon shells and wait for another round of upgrades, as boosts to that damage and rate of fire are coming before long. Then I should be able to push expansion. I'll also want repair packs for fixing the tank from time to time, but that's easy to put together. The shells are easy(steel + explosives + plastic), and I make a small adjustment to get more copper ore flowing and increase our output of that some while waiting.

And then it's time. I think the next update will feature some tank-fighting though, which should be entertaining.

Pretty much the same power requirements overall.

The spike in copper-cable is the most interesting thing here; about 80% of the total copper is going to that, mostly for use in the green circuits which are getting swallowed up like crazy. It'll need to get higher. We're also cranking out 3k red circuits an hour now, and have used 1.3M crude oil so far to date.

Item Count: 38
Total Production: 446k(+1% from 440k)

Resources

** Iron: 1.37M primary, 529k steel. Switched up which patches send their product where a bit. The bottom line though is we continue to chew through it at a rate of a million per nine hours, which gives us about 15 hours worth of supply. That's acceptable, but no better than that.

** Copper: 369k old, 639k new. We're not going to get much above 50k usage with the current smelting column, even with a few furnaces added. Since we're sitting just above 1M here with the newly added patch, that's at least 20 hours which is plenty sufficient.

** Coal: 170k steam power(--), 251k factory(13k used), 1M train(negligible). Eventually I'll need to draw coal from a new patch, probably the old steel one, but there's plenty around.

** Crude Oil: 196/sec(-3). I'm satisfied that our 'floor' on the pumpjacks has indeed changed now to 2/sec. each. We have a total of 16 in place, which means we should never drop below 32/second. We're using a bit more oil now that we are drawing off the sulfuric acid for the processing units; the two refineries are nearing but not quite yet at their capacity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can also use the tank as a pretty effective battering ram, if you don't mind patching it up afterward from running directly into spawners and worms.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sage Grimm posted:

You can also use the tank as a pretty effective battering ram, if you don't mind patching it up afterward from running directly into spawners and worms.

And it's good for cutting paths through forests too. Constructo-bots, plus personal roboport mean you'll keep repaired too. Though biters will bite them.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Re: Tank Chat

I don't know what the hell I did to my world settings that caused all biter bases to be huge, dense bricks of dozens of spawners and worms, but the tank was absolutely the only way I could take out bases short of extremely extensive turret creep (which feels rather like cheating to me, so I avoid doing it). You mentioned you don't know how it compares to the Power Armor in terms of damage resistance, so I'll throw the numbers out there. Unlike the car, which has no resistances whatsoever and is easily bogged down and exploded by swarms of biters, the Tank is incredibly durable.

Power Armor (100HP base plus shields)

Acid: 7/30%
Explosion: 15/30%
Physical: 8/30%

vs

Tank: (2000 HP)

Acid: 15/50%
Explosion: 15/70%
Fire: 15/60%
Impact: 50/80%
Physical: 15/60%

As always, flat damage is applied first, and then the percentage reduction from resistances is applied.

The difference in damage mitigation between Power Armor vs the Tank is very substantial in practice, as the smaller biters and spitters only deal a fraction of a single HP in damage to a tank and even the largest worms and spitters require over a hundred attacks to destroy a tank from full HP.

While inside the tank, you can still use combat robots, Personal Laser Defense modules, and Personal Roboports without issue and your construction robots will bravely fly out to repair the tank in the middle of combat. However, the tank does not benefit from your Energy Shields.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Great information, thanks! Hilariously, this was posted shortly after I finished most of the tank combat I needed to do, including recording a short demo of how I ended up doing it. Let's just say I didn't know I could use combat robots along with the tank, I thought it was one or the other. That makes things, uhh, a lot easier.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Holy crap has Factorio changed since I last played. Are trains still an effective use for defense? I remember setting tracks around my base, breaking them into many blocks, then having trains fly outside my walls to smash any biters that got close enough. They were pretty drat effective.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The only thing I've seen stop a train effectively is a tank. So probably. Even 3-4 Energy Shield 2s only gives you a couple of seconds to get off the tracks at best.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There was an update released a day or two ago. Artillery trains are in, baby :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Spatial posted:

There was an update released a day or two ago. Artillery trains are in, baby :v:
:stare:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-220
Yesssss! :fap:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Two priorities now, in order:

** Clear out the biters as much as needed to expand, mostly to the east making room for new research.
** After the walls have been extended, set up the new smelting area.

Neither of these are small projects. Once they are completed though, the stage will have been set for a push towards the endgame. There's still some significant stuff left but we're getting close to the end of third-tier 'Aqua' research. I decide not to wait any longer, grabbing what supplies we have and heading east with the tank.

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckuhZLgpp0

This is the easier of the clusters in the east to handle, but the basic routine will remain the same. It's the way I've worked out to fight them that seems sensible to me.

1. Machine-Gun down the initial biter rush, prioritizing the spitters.
2. Use the cannon on worms and spawners.
3. Switch back to the machine gun as they swarm again.
4. Repeat #2-#3 until the tank is getting beat up.
5. Retreat and repair with repair packs.

I used up about 25-30 cannon shells there, and 80 mags of piercing rounds. So I'll be burning through the ammunition, but this seems to be pretty effective. It's just enough to expand the wall if I want, but further on into this cluster there's an iron patch bigger than any I've yet tapped. A full 1M. That's worth continuing to push.

After getting a fair distance that way, I turned my attention to the larger, denser cluster to the south. It's reached the point though where larger doesn't mean more difficult, but merely more time-consuming. Only so many spawners and worms can ever be within range. It's just a case of learning to drive close enough, but not too close, do your damage, attack-retreat-repair, lather.rinse.repeat. And then go stock up on ammunition again.

Super. We have now done a third of all the achievements. Many more we can get, including several relating to mass production. I also seem to be burning through ammunition for the tank about as fast as I'm producing it; that's a good balance I think.

After I'd been at the biter-clearing for approximately hour and it was starting to get rather annoying and tedious, this was the situation. That big cluster by the lake there is the next one I want to eliminate: I also need to do some work to the north and south of the base. This is going to take a while but it'll be worth it. The copper patch that it's guarding, for instance, has almost 3 million! We've got three million-strong iron patches in the not-too-distant vicinity; one we can get to right now, the others without taking out any clusters as big as this one.

It's coming ...

Heh. This is the 'bad driving award'.

I tried the 'circling' tactic I had used with the flamethrower after a while. It did end up being a lot better: I thought I wouldn't be able to aim well enough to make it work, but with a little of practice it wasn't too bad. Allows for a lot more of them to be taken out at once.

Just be sure you bring enough ammunition to finish off a lot of stragglers. REALLY sure.

** Mining Productivity 4(400 RGA) -- Up to an 8% bonus.

** Follower Robot Count 2(400 RGBA) -- Upgrades the number of combat robots you can have from 5-10. Which I'm not using anymore.

** Mining Productvity 4(500 RGA) -- Another 2%, now at an 8% bonus.

Here's an example of the encircling tactic, executed not particularly well; there's a reason I'm a 'strategy' guy, not an 'arcade' guy. For reference, this is near the end of this update, just short of the 30-hour mark. We're at the northeast end of the base; just to the west of where I start out here is the train station and the big crude oil pumping area. I wanted to finally clear out some of the clusters here, both for long-term safety of that operation as the activity of(and pollution from) it will increase over time, and also to get access to a little more iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1saCRiH18I&feature=youtu.be

I could have gone further east, for that second cluster I'd ticked off, but generally I've found that at a certain point it's best to lead the pack you have trailing you on a wild goose choose and gun them down, then set up a new run at the next section. I'm still messing around with this, but that's a decent demo on how I'm going about it. Sometimes I do better, sometimes worse. Key is to have lots of space to run away from them in, and whatever you do don't stop.

As this segment comes to an end, everything I need to get rid of for now in the east and north has been handled; there's still some work to do to the south though. I'm almost ready to do what I intend to be the last big wall expansion of the primary factory/base, slowly getting better at tank-fighting after two hours of it(more than that actually, I reloaded a few royal screwups). It's going to be worth it though, creating room for the rest of the research area to be built.

Power usage has gone down a little. Combination of iron supply starting to slow up a hair and efficiency modules trickling out there. I really should be throwing out more roboports and whatnot, but I simply can't be bothered at the moment what with the other priorities.

At this point, tracking the circuits is a decent gauge for how things are going. By that measure, 24k green, 3.4k red, 500+ blue. I think we've got a backup on the blue processing units since they aren't being used for a whole lot of anything. Yet. Another thing that stands out here is the consistency of the graph. No peaks or valleys, mostly because I've been out in the hinterlands slaughtering biters by the hundreds. At least that means there are no super-huge supply problems.

Item Count: 40
Total Production: 510k(+14% from 446k)

Just over a half-million.

Resources

** Iron: 1.20M primary, 529k steel. 15 hours left basically. I think we're going to really be wanting some more by the time I'm ready to be mining out new patches.

** Copper: 294k old, 573k new. Draining almost an equal amount off both which is not really what I want; I'll take a look at that. Either way, we've boosted up to well over 50k an hour in total usage here, half of what iron is pretty much. That puts us at 17 hours' worth. The days of only using a little bit of copper are definitely history.

** Stone: 312k(8.5k). I think this is a new high. It's close if it isn't. Still pushing 40 hours' worth, but I will want to make sure I've got extra drill set up here.

** Coal: 170k steam power(--), 233k factory(9k used), 1M train(negligible). Still looking good.

** Crude Oil: 191/sec(-5). As expected, we're churning through it faster now. Still far more supply than we need, and for quite a while longer I think.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
There's a dramatic difference in how much ammunition/HP you expend in the first video versus the second one. A couple suggestions - the tank's flamethrower is _really good_ at clearing out the huge packs of biters that trail along after you because it does much higher damage while also hitting multiple biters close together.

I know you mentioned you weren't aware of this before, but if you're using Combat Robots and/or Personal Laser Defense, your robots/personal lasers can also thin out large chunks of the herd, and they'll also murder buildings /worms you get close to. The less time you spend in proximity of the base with spawners alive, the fewer biters that spawn and the less ammo you have to spend.

You mentioned that you're not using Combat Robots anymore, but they're still very much worth it even once you're rolling around in a tank - if nothing else, it reduces the time and ammo you spend clearing biter bases. The more overwhelming your firepower going in to clear a base, the more efficiently that firepower gets spent (versus having to spend ammo/HP on the biter swarms).

Olesh fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, remember, regular cannon shells are piercing. So you can shoot them into large swarms like you had at the end there (aim at the far end of the swarm) and they will inflict a decent number of casualties.
A personal laser defense or two will helpfully murder close biters while you're shooting other things, too.

You can always just RTS up a network of Roboports, and let the constructo-bots do all the heavy lifting. It can also be worth handcrafting orange science to get requester chests if you haven't already made a roboport factory (or just in general) so you can set up production for things you don't need often without worrying about routing.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Olesh posted:

e tank's flamethrower is _really good_ at clearing out the huge packs of biters that trail along after you because it does much higher damage while also hitting multiple biters close together.

I don't like the really short range on it. But I will give another try.

Olesh posted:

f you're using Combat Robots and/or Personal Laser Defense, your robots/personal lasers can also thin out large chunks of the herd, and they'll also murder buildings /worms you get close to.

Yep. After the second video there is when I noticed your post on that issue. I've been churning through the remaining Defenders which made things easier(esp. as I upgraded how many I could use).

Veloyxll posted:

gular cannon shells are piercing. So you can shoot them into large swarms like you had at the end there (aim at the far end of the swarm) and they will inflict a decent number of casualties.

Worth trying. It's getting a lot less tedious as I get better at the tank. As for personal laser defense; I've got a problem there. Armor is low on power because I'm constantly using the one Exoskeleton I've made. It's worth it, I just need to upgrade to a better power source(haven't invented it yet) so that I can really start outfitting it properly. As it is, I'm still running around at night at 'normal' speed too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

New goals:

** 1. Finish clearing out the too-close biter clusters.
** 2. Expand the wall with new radar stations and turrets to provide coverage of all polluted areas and room for enlarging the research complex.
** 3. Put new smelting area in place.
** 4. Research add-ons, enlarging the bus and production of various intermediate products as needed.

By the time we complete #4, we'll be well into the endgame. Already I'm down to a handfull of things that can still be researched with the existing set-up; they're going slower at several hundred a pop. Still plan on completing each tier before moving on to the next; that means everything Aqua and Production(purple)-related before going into the final Hi-Tech(yellow) section.

But first, #1 on the list. More biters must die.

** Lab Research speed 4(500 RGA) -- Another 50%, putting us at 240% of standard. This still doesn't matter until we get the vials flowing fast enough to use all the labs, but it's still good to have. I suppose there's a minor power savings from doing the same amount of work with fewer labs even now, but that's really not worth considering.

I did take a quick tour first, removing exhausted mining drills and checking on a couple things. Aside from the small amount of pollution & power savings from not having them there and inactive, the more important issue is getting the efficiency modules and throwing them into active machines. The stone drills are still looking fine for now, and I made one small adjustment to improve the flow from the older copper patch.

Then it was on to more fighting.

** Follower robot count 3(500 RGBA) -- The number of combat robots is doubled again, from 10 to 20.

** Mining Productivity 6(600 RGA) -- 12% boost now. Getting more out of what resources we do have, bit by bit.

The new and enlarged east end of the factory, after almost an hour's work. Almost 4 million iron ore has been added, and what should, I hope, be plenty of room for the rest of the research. Now for the new smelting area, which will probably prove to be a lengthier undertaking.

That's interrupted by an attack in the south almost immediately. Looks like there's a decent-sized base too close to our new walls, so I'll need another tank expedition first. After that, it was time to do the math with regards to the smelters.

I definitely want this to be a permanent solution. There is yet one more belt-speed upgrade coming, which will boost to the final max. of 40 items/second(13.3 for the standard yellow ones, 26.7 for the fast red ones). Assuming no speed modules(I'm planning on sticking with efficiency), the smelting speed of an iron/copper plate every 1.75 seconds means I need room for stacks of 35 smelters: 70 total, but 35 on each side. The current array is less than half that tall. I'll also want room at each end, particularly near the top end for an unloading station in the event of train service to bring in the ore.

This, again, is the general area where it's going to be put. Leaving enough room on the south end to not interfere with the bus and be able to do whatever belt spaghetti might be necessary, I found that a 35-'high' stack would basically reach to exactly where the north wall is here. That's not even close to enough room, so we've got to expand more. Which means more tank combat.

Quite a bit more, to really do this right. And a lot of forest is going to have to go eventually as well. I don't see a better option though, or a good reason not to be nice and thorough about it and just make sure there's plenty of room. Several modest-sized clusters will be no problem, but there's one big one that will also have to go.

Somewhat more dangerous and more close-quarters fighting with a lot of trees, and as a result I got this. About 25 minutes of fighting later, and the area I wanted was cleared out, including a resupply run. Then on to the new walls.

** Follower Robot count 4(600 RGBA) -- Prices are definitely getting hefty. Another +10 increase, now up to 30 followers if I so desire. There are only two tasks left that don't require at least production vials; more mining productivity, and another one that has been mentioned a few times.

Here's the latest after the new wall is in place, and three more radar stations set up around it(and power reconnected to one that got inadvertently disconnected as well). Should be plenty of room -- and incidentally, more uranium that we still aren't using is within our reach also.

Power usage has gone down in spite of the new radars, mostly because of copper furnaces not being needed as much. This is temporary; we've recently hit a backlog of processing units, which means not needing as much of others stuff back through the whole factory. Once we start using those, things will open up again.

Copper fluctuations can be seen here, and also the very consistent iron flow is starting to develop just a bit of a hitch over the last roughly 15 minutes. That's just ore supply. It's still coming, just not quite as smoothly as it has been.

Item Count: 41
Total Production: 485k(-5% from 510k)

Again, down just a bit overall.

Resources

** Iron: 1.03M(85k) primary, 472k(28.5k) steel. Nothing really changed all that much.

** Copper: 240k(27k) old, 536k(18.5k) new. Churning through both of them at a solid rate.

** Stone: 298(7k). Had some more wall sections built for the first time in a long while.

** Coal: 170k steam power(--), 218k(7.5k) factory, 1M train(negligible). No problems yet.

** Crude Oil: 188/sec(-3). The processing-unit backup has also lowered the usage here.

• Locked thread