Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo! Factorio Madness LP! Skimmed through this in a few hours and am...impressed with the, um, masochistic mix you selected. I've never gone that deep myself.

Something I wanted to bring up from pages (and likely weeks/months ago) is everyone was talking about how all fluids more or less act the same and some silliness about various systems (I gave this game to my dad for father's day and his eye started twitching at turning petroleum into sulfur, going on about how you're supposed to be removing it during the refining/distillation process not alchemically transmuting hydrocarbons to sulfur).

But yeah, as people have mentioned with steam is that you can have backup steam. This game doesn't really do anything with actual thermodynamics besides heat pipes for nuclear so steam will sit in a pipe/tank forever, never losing heat/energy. This brings up the fact that if you don't want a bunch of power poles between your base and outpost, what you can totally do is bring power via train-hauled steam batteries to your mining outposts! Just have some steam engines/turbines and a few tanks on site to hold the trainload.

Speaking of trains and fluid dynamics, I noticed you setting your oil stop like this:

This is an ENTIRELY REASONABLE way to do such things for vanilla/small factories. However you have the entire Arch Angel's library which includes Petrochem and as someone who's had experience with that, you're gonna want something a wee bit faster due to the sheer amount of fluids you're gonna be bringing in (even if it's just to pump into your refineries). The issue is that pipes have a maximum throughput of how much fluid they can transfer per second. Tanks, and tanker cars, do NOT have this limit. So for something a bit faster you can place a tank to store the oil (or other liquid/gas) directly next to the train stop and just connect tank to pump to train car without any pipes. You'll be limited by only the incredibly high fluid transfer rate of the pump, which will let you fill or drain a tanker car in about 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bremen posted:

The big issue I had with petrochem is pretty much every reaction makes at least two things, one that you need and one that is probably useful for something but not what you need right now, and if it is something you need then if you need less of it then the other output then eventually you'll fill up on one and the other will stop producing, etc. So basically you end up having to choose between voiding half the results and losing like half your efficiency each step (my inner perfectionist!) or having a petrochem layout that makes a CPU circuit diagram look simple.

The cheapest way to make plastic is take naptha, steam crack it with red catalysts (copper+iron ore) to make...methanol I think? Basically whatever comes out of that is only 1-2 easy steps from liquid plastic. Any other method of early plastic means that as you mentioned you'll lose so much from each step that you get trivial final results. In one game I would bring in a 3 tanker-car train of Natural Gas straight from the pump (and this was back when tanker cars held 75K units instead of 25K) to make about half a box car load of plastic because I needed blue science to research the stuff that all the waste products could be used for.

Thotimx, I highly reccommend adding FNEI (Factorio Not Enough Items, inspired by the Minecraft mod Not Enough Items, it will scan the recipe list to find what all recipes create a product and what recipes use a product) or as you research petrochem stuff start creating a list/spreadsheet/flowchart of what items come from/are used in what processes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Your dedication to using the belt overflow mod amazes and horrifies me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Screams internally

...and externally

This is gonna be one of those LPs that takes 2-3 years at this rate if you're just now starting to setup the infrastructure to mass produce proper level 1 electronics. :psyduck: This belt overflow mod is pure madness.

• Locked thread