Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Your setup is already triggering me. Put that water in an underground pipe man!

Unsure if it's true, but it felt like a lone burner inserter can't quite keep up with 2 steam engine's needs.
There is one other way to transport your mineral wealth long distance. Which recently got an upgrade for certain resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

DoubleNegative posted:

As long as you don't upgrade the belts, a 1:1 ratio of burner inserters to steam engines can keep up with an endgame factory going full tilt. It shouldn't be much of a problem on the input side, either.

I guess the inserter upgrades will help on that front too.

What's a Factorio playthrough without some poorly remembered ratios, anyhow?

All the tech is in, and works.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

DoubleNegative posted:

As a starter smelting area, it's solid enough. Sure there will be bottlenecks later on if coal output isn't increased as well. But at that point, you'll be eyeing electric smelters anyway. Basically when it becomes a problem, there will be ways to fix it and make it more efficient at the same time.

Why would you not increase coal output later anyhow? Besides it having other uses down the line. That coal helps nobody when it's in the ground!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If your raw material buffer chests aren't close to full, you need more trains.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Early Game: Establish basic productions to automate everything.
Later game: Automate everything.

Later on I tend to build double thick walls so I don't have to worry about accidentally putting things too close to them. And to make them a bit sturdier against the inevitable attacks.

I also grossly overbuild, but that's part of the fun of Factorio!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Meanwhile I keep quitting games by the time I get to blue science because of the inevitable 'ok, my red and green science is way over here and my burgeoning advanced chip production is way on the opposite side of my spaghetti works because that's where the oil is. It's time to overhaul the whole thing ugghhhhhh.'

Lets see if I do that again this time!

Embrace the spaghetti-works. Just have a stupid long belt take blue science all the way across the factory.
While before I'd say "with blue science you can eventually get logistics bots to fly the blue science over", that takes Hi-Tech (Orange) and maybe Production (Purple) science to do now.

Also, make sure your science machines have enough room for like...8 kinds of science. 2 belts down the middle, 2 belts circling round the outside.

In Factorio, the best kind of success is excess.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The other problem, one that I just realized now, is that because blue science is at the end of my main belt it tends to run out of iron.

When your sole iron deposit is tapped out that's not something you can fix by adding more :v:

Sure it is. You justy go find another source of iron and ship it to your base.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

I don't suppose you're planning to run a too long conveyor belt loop of ammo around the inside of the wall for turrets to grab from?

it's a legitimate strategy! Especially since logistics bots got a rework last time I played so requesters are a lot further in.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

What a novel idea, bussing Green Circuits. That would probably save a lot of organization space in my current factory...

I finally hit logistics with my factory at this point and this is annoying as all get out.

I usually have just built lines as I needed for them. Horribly inefficient, perhaps, but it means I just have to worry about whether I have enough Iron/Copper etc usually. (May have also had coal on the bus to make steel as needed at some stage too)

I never said it was a GOOD change/. Just that it is a thing. I was going for Logistics network embargo so it didn't affect me. Now, if/when I go for lazy bastard (which is mostly just hard on setting up), missing logistics chests may be a little more problematic.

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

I think I'm learning more about how to play Factorio from this Let's Play than I have from the "introductory" videos I've been watching on YouTube.

In text it's a bit easier to go into more depth/re-read bits you didn't get in text.

#AlwaysSpreadMiners.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

There are 6, plus a bonus 7th for end game stuff

Red, Green, Blue, Military (Black), Production (Purple), Hi-Tech (Orange) and White (Space). I have the problem of procrastinating on my Lazy Bastard run. And wondering if I spent one too many crafts on refineries. (have refineries, 111 crafts used). Need to build plastics line, then batteries. And sciences. o god so much to make

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Let me tell you about Biter problems:

I need something bigger than an assault rifle.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Was just playing some co-op Factorio.

Hell is other people.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Part of the fun of Factorio is learning to live with your terrible terrible engineering mistakes.
Because you are too lazy to tear that poo poo down.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bonfire Lit posted:

Oh yes. Also everything else will become a bottleneck too. But that's what trains are for!

They do work in reverse:

In a real factory only do this with the same types of items. There's basically never a reason to do this kind of mixing. Using two different items on the same belt in different lanes is fine, but mixing multiple types of items on the same lane is a recipe for disaster. Luckily, splitters handle that correctly too:

Until the inputs become imbalanced which they inevitably will especially if you're dealing with something like copper and iron.

Getting ready to set up top tier science: Iron still a bottleneck. Even with 2 iron smelting arrays and 2 lanes of the fastest belts.

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Petrogas gets pumped around like it's a liquid, I imagine? The logistics are fairly similar.

Yes. Water, petrogas, Light + heavy oil, and crude all obey effectively the same physics in Factorio.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's nothing a very long conveyor can't solve - seriously. The first base I launched a rocket from was such a mess of pipes and spaghetti belts it was hard to keep track of it all at times, with things like sulfur, batteries, iron, plastic, and other random components being shipped from one side of the base to the other because I didn't bother to plan it out ahead of time (and also because when you first play you'll have no idea what will be needed or when). Logistics bots can help but you'll need a lot of bots to keep a factory of any size running smoothly.

Was it a mess and extraordinarily inefficient but it worked god drat it.

Perhaps only because Factorio doesn't incude code for things jamming up and exploding the whole factory. Trains can make things a lot neater, by letting you keep Ore/Plates running through your previously established forges

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thotimx posted:

At this point I made another supply run -- and realized I had totally forgotten to set up the new inserter line. *Facepalm*. So much going on. I had the red circuits set up ... and then it was ooh, Modular Armor. Wow, Robotics!! And ... I totally forgot about it. I've still got plenty for now but can't push forward for long without the basics. I've also not set up the efficiency modules again, which I should for the power-saving potential. There won't be a major cost to these mistakes, but it's still not a great idea to forget fundamental needs.

The true Factorio experience. Get sidetracked making something new, forget what you were actually doing

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ousire posted:

Here's another handy bit of train advice that I always stick with: One engine can pull two wagons at full speed. Any more, and it wont reach full speed. So try to make sure your trains stick to the 1-to-2 ratio to be efficient. Most of my games I usually have two engines pulling four wagons and that's enough to service my base; for things that go really really far, three engines and six wagons is useful to minimize the number of return trips it has to make due to full inventory

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing. Though I tend to go for single purpose trains where possible, so only have 1-2 wagons. Does it chage at all with empty v full wagons?
You could also commission a second train for the same route. Which also staggers the deliveries on longer routes. Depends if you want one big load or lots of smaller loads.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's not that random. it's also not kidding when it says 1% U-235, 99% U-238. it took about 5000 products before I had the 50 235 I needed for REASONS.

Now that Robots are a thing: circuit nerds - is there a way to rig your grabby arms up to read the number of IDLE robots on the network? Because what I'd like is to add robots until I have like 50 idle constructors and 200 idle logistics bots.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheWetFish posted:

0.7% :negative:

Hook the roboport up to the circuit network -> Set mode of operation to read robot statistics -> Note the signals for available construction or logistics bots

Hook the inserter up to the same circuit network as the roboport -> Set mode of operation to Enable/disable -> Set enable condition as the signal from roboport noted earlier, less than desired number of bots

*blueprints*

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheWetFish posted:

You want me to do all the work for you?
....Yeah ok

https://pastebin.com/KDwdCQWh

I already made a blueprint on my victorious game.

Also made an AFK trap out of walls. I maybe should make a smaller scale one that is more likely to be able to use just the number of walls someone might have on them, but eh, effort

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You can go one deeper with train debate, and go barrels v fluidic oil. Since it affects how it loads/unloads for trainlogic

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Very occasionally they will attack power poles. The jerks.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In the space future trains can turn on a dime. Without losing speed. Yes, trains can take that chicane at 300 kph.

Fun fact: You can just run the track straight out from the station and make the smallest circle possible to turn trains around.
Once you get a bigger network you probably want to make all your track one-way, but for now, that is a gate friendly option (You can only build gates on tracks travelling horizontally or vertically)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thotimx posted:

Gotta try not to think too hard about this kind of stuff. Factorio is semi-realistic in the sense that trains can't turn as sharp as the car can, they can't stop on a dime, etc. But if you really think about it, you never eat/drink/sleep, lots of stuff doesn't require power, the number of things you can craft in a ridiculously short amount of time, carrying a small city's worth of supplies with you everywhere without so much as slowing down ... you'll go mad if you get too picky.

Multiple locomitoves in your pants

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I make my personal roboport do a lot of work. Or just designate trees in the Roboradius to do the work. they get there...eventually.

I am really bad at lategame stuff though. Never enough production. Though even with 2 copper lines and 3 iron, I never seemed to have enough of both at the same time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, getting coal isn't that hard. And given how rare the circuits for the advanced modules are, it's usually cheaper to just build more furnaces

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The tank actually now also comes with a Flamethrower. As well as the Cannon and Machine gun.
My last playthrough I found explosive shells more effective than standard. Even if the more advanced bullets mean you'll quite possibly do more damage with machine guns. Cannon feels a lot more satisfying. I should really stack running legs next time and play around going super fast.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poil posted:

I wish you could build cannon and rocket towers, and that you could build robutt turrets that could be supplied directly by logistic bots. Requester chests are way too deep down in the tech tree for anything beyond just spamming lasers everywhere to be reasonable.

In my last solo, and multiplayer games, we have rushed Requester tech once we get logistics bots. Self-requesting heavy turrets would be nice though.
Laser turrets are very convenient for remote defense, but it'd be nice to be able to do something fancy rather than just MORE LASERS.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

V. Illych L. posted:

couldn't you build walled enclaves with turrets, linked by rail?

That is how one generally mines/imports resources from out of town. Trains don't personally need defending. Between repair bots and their speed they'll be fine. Your powerlines on the other hand...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Even without mods, you could always just paint your whole base with a blueprint. It'll happen in time. And once you run out of stored concrete, they won't even steal all your bots.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sage Grimm posted:

You can also use the tank as a pretty effective battering ram, if you don't mind patching it up afterward from running directly into spawners and worms.

And it's good for cutting paths through forests too. Constructo-bots, plus personal roboport mean you'll keep repaired too. Though biters will bite them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The only thing I've seen stop a train effectively is a tank. So probably. Even 3-4 Energy Shield 2s only gives you a couple of seconds to get off the tracks at best.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, remember, regular cannon shells are piercing. So you can shoot them into large swarms like you had at the end there (aim at the far end of the swarm) and they will inflict a decent number of casualties.
A personal laser defense or two will helpfully murder close biters while you're shooting other things, too.

You can always just RTS up a network of Roboports, and let the constructo-bots do all the heavy lifting. It can also be worth handcrafting orange science to get requester chests if you haven't already made a roboport factory (or just in general) so you can set up production for things you don't need often without worrying about routing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jabor posted:

As long as you've got enough buffer, you're probably not going to get rng-screwed. Even less likely if you have surplus refining capacity. You could set up a reactor (remembering to leave space to expand it to at least 2x2 later on) right now to handle literally all your power consumption, and you'd still be saving up U-235 for later.

The other way of making U-235 is mainly useful when you get up to the other thing that uses U-235.

--

also, the ~optimal~ reactor layout is a 2xX block long enough to meet your factory's power needs.

Is it still 4 exchangers -> 8 turbines/reactor or did they change it again?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's more efficient to set up your train schedules depending on their cargo rather than trying to guess time. For transporting raw stuff though you can still keep it pretty simple:

IF Cargo = Full
OR Time Passed = 60 Sec

That'll leave you to fix any slowdowns on the non-train side while the train'll continue to do work.

The thing with Roundabouts is that in order to set up their signal's properly they have a minimum size that is NOT the smallest roundabout you can make. That's why people tend to have trouble with them, because they're too lazy to get their signals done properly in the first place, leading to jams.

The only jam that should result from any properly signal'd roundabout is if you're manually riding about and manage to catch two trains that get caught in a 'you need to move' 'no you need to move' signal jam or if there's too many trains using it.

The only problem with this solution is that you can't crack 'upwards' IE you can't crack light/petrol to heavy, which is needed for lubricant. Most of the time when people get their initial oil set up they want to turn everything into petrol (for Plastic and Batteries,) which means they're going to want to switch over their refineries to Advanced Processing ASAP. That means you're getting a whole lot less Heavy output to both turn into Lubricant and crack into other things.

And you do really want to use Advanced Processing whenever you can because you get extra light and petrol out of your crude compared to basic processing, not to mention the loss of output when you crack anything.

I usually use 120 sec to minimise the time trains with depleted stations jam up the lines when I don't notice, but both work.
Also:
IF Time Passed = 20 sec
OR IF Time Passed = 5 sec
AND Inventory Empty

for unloading. The 5s wait is just to make sure they get at least 1 grab of fuel. Not that I've ever had any train run out, but I'd rather not take that chance.

Those mixed outputs though *twitch* One cargo per train car only please good sir!

The basic rule I have with signaling is that there should never be two trains on an intersection at the same time. So use chain signals on incoming lines, and regular signals everywhere else. I really wish there was a way to auto-plan signals down a track because running the whole line putting in pairs of signals gets old real fast.

As for heavy oil, make 1, maybe 2 tanks for lube before you set the switches up. You will literally never need that much lube, so even small overflows of heavy will restock your Lubarium.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Olesh posted:

A reminder that blueprints are a thing that exist to save you time on repetitive tasks, and that once you have a set of basic train blueprints, you can ride a train, laying blueprints down ahead of you - your bots will do the work and you can benefit from your train cars' inventory to carry all of things you actually need to set up a station once you get to your destination.

I guess, but I prefer organic train lines to the grid hell that comes with roundabouts. And I quite like the track laying mode, besides not slapping down signals.
Fun fact - if you're doing it in blueprint mode, you can shift click to lay track right over trees etc. And your robopals will clear and build the line. I mean, eventually you run out of stored power because that's how personal roboports go pre-high tech. But still.

Also, I've beaten the game like 4 times.
And only just realised I could build a modular armour with just a robo-port, 1 or 2 batteries, and all the solar panels for when I'm doing building. Then switch to a different suit for fighting...
Some math nerd can figure out exact solar-battery ratio for maximum robotics (probably actuially involves starting with mostly solar, no roboport equipped, then swapping panels to batteries until you're down to 6 panels to charge the last battery. Then replace 4 panels with batteries, but EFFORT)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 5, 2018

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thotimx posted:

Like the order set with the max time for waiting. I think I'll eventually adopt that. As far as this goes ... I realized eventually that it wasn't the best. And didn't do anything about it, because I think it's sufficient for the purposes of this game. The idea was to be flexible -- but that's not the spot to be flexible. Adjusting train orders and destinations for flexibility would have been better. So, something to remember for next time.

Drives me up the wall and down the other side.

I knew there was a way to do this, but didn't remember how. I don't use blueprints a 50th as much as I should probably.

The solution is more trains. I just run 1-2 wagons and solve any througput issues with more trains.

I really wish there was a better way to lay tracks in non-blueprint mode (if you start a train track by shift-clicking, it lays down a blueprint of the tracks). Because when trees or rocks get in the way doing it regularly, augh! It's better than it WAS, but still.
As for intersection hell, I always drag my blueprint/track one or two squares further, until it gives me a blue tile just to make sure that sucker is linked.

You can also shift-click normal blueprints if something is blocking part of it. And it'll either remove it, in the case of trees and rocks, or skip it when the thing is unbuildable. Like say with mines. So you can quickly lay down a new mining base.

Or defensive walls.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 5, 2018

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

For the south Iron, you could have either made a bypass around Dharh, thrown down some landfill to make a bridge, then reconnected with that other line directly north.0 Or just split off from that other line and reconnect a little further on. And just comissioned 1 or 2 trains to go down, get a full load of ore, then go to the loading station.

Power Armour II is great for filling with legs, shields, personal lasers, and then becoming a cybernetic god of death and fast running.

And you have plenty of stuff for green bullets to be more shooty, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Thotimx posted:

The problem is that it is waiting for a long time at Chasse. Too long. So I tell it to spend no more than a minute there, while lengthening the list of stops(too many to mention here) to have it go to Hobbs and Frostfire twice for every time it visits Chasse. That should make the circuit more efficient, and I'll check back in a while to see how that goes. I could have also just added another train to go to Hobbs and Frostfire only, but I don't think we're producing enough to justify that.

Producing any minerals is producing enough to have a dedicated train! Sure you'll get occasional downtime with train(s) sitting at loading stations, but who cares? It's not like they have anywhere else to be.

quote:

Since I want to fight my way east to get to the iron, I might as well go for the big crude payday out that way as well. They are close enough together that I probably want to use the same station for them. How do I make that work? I don't really know. But I'll have to figure out. First up, I've got to clear out resistance. While they aren't causing enough trouble to really bother me, a number of clusters out that way have expanded into our pollution cloud anyway. Time to end their pain -- permanently.

Actually with fluid wagons - pretty easy. Since pumps to fill the wagons won't fill the materials train, you just load iron from one side, oil from the other. Put signals around the station and a little behind and let the trains queue to sort it out. Providing there's a timed wait, everything will be hunky dory.

• Locked thread