Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Things we learned:

-Texas may or may not be back
-Auburn should not be ranked
-Wake Forest should be ranked
-Lamar Jackson probably isn't repeating as Heisman winner
-Oklahoma State is for real
-South Carolina is never beating Kentucky again
-CLANGA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

My bum is on the horns
My bum is on the horns

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm becoming more and more radical re: firing Barry Odom.

That poo poo today was absolutely unacceptable, no matter how good Jeff Brohm is.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Guys, did you know that Kansas is bad?

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Fire Tim beck but everything else is cool with me. Good game Trojan peoples and I think we're gonna be just fine this year. Seemed to have figured out how to play defense finally

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

James Franklin succeeded in icing a kicker.

Although it was 56-0 at the time.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I know that I'm That Guy who calls for the entire coaching staff to be fired on a whim but today's game was completely unacceptable. There was nothing positive about it, there are no silver linings. And it's not going to get any better.

Bill C. from Rock M Nation puts it perfectly here: https://www.rockmnation.com/2017/9/16/16320152/missouri-purdue-barry-odom-hot-seat

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
If you ice a kicker and they make it anyways, it should be worth four points.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We might be alright, but I've thought that a bunch of times over the last few years, and it's always turned out to be wrong.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Mighty Wildcat of Northwestern after a minor hiccup when CHEATING DUKE beat Northwestern last week by tricking their offensive line into not making the trip, ANNIHILATED the MAC STALWART Bowling Green Falcons, avenging the 2003 MOTOR CITY BOWL and preparing to effortlessly DESTROY the decadent WISCONSIN BADGER after a BYE WEEK

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dropping four in a row to Kentucky is absolutely unacceptable. There was a lot to dislike about this game, particularly the offensive playcalling and the handling of offensive personnel. But what's truly awful is that Deebo Samuel, our star player and one of the best playmakers in the SEC, is likely out for the season with a fractured leg. This is the worst I've felt after a loss in a long, long time.

...that being said, it doesn't really change my 5-7/6-6 projection for this season. This is a flawed team, and one that was fortunate to start 2-0. With a squad this young and lacking in depth, this season was inevitably going to be a rollercoaster. We really needed to get that UK monkey off our back, and losing Deebo is so loving depressing in every regard that I don't even want to think about it. Horrific loss, no two ways about it.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 17, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

good teams: Wake Forest, Maryland

bad teams: everyone else?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
gently caress Tom Herman
gently caress Todd Graham

Houston vs Texas Tech next weekend :toot:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm glad Texas didn't get embarrassed and looked okay against the #4 team, but sad they didn't win.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I'm becoming more and more radical re: firing Barry Odom.

That poo poo today was absolutely unacceptable, no matter how good Jeff Brohm is.
I'm all in with firing Barry Odom, mostly because I hated the hire from the start. They need to do it before the season ends to maybe salvage some hope with a very good in-state recruiting class.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Things we learned:

-Texas may or may not be back
-Auburn should not be ranked
-Wake Forest should be ranked
-Lamar Jackson probably isn't repeating as Heisman winner
-Oklahoma State is for real
-South Carolina is never beating Kentucky again
-CLANGA

LSU was overrated again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Mighty Wildcat of Northwestern after a minor hiccup when CHEATING DUKE beat Northwestern last week by tricking their offensive line into not making the trip, ANNIHILATED the MAC STALWART Bowling Green Falcons, avenging the 2003 MOTOR CITY BOWL and preparing to effortlessly DESTROY the decadent WISCONSIN BADGER after a BYE WEEK

Counterpoint:

Nah.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LSU looks pretty bad. I'm revising my estimate down to 7 wins.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm all in with firing Barry Odom, mostly because I hated the hire from the start. They need to do it before the season ends to maybe salvage some hope with a very good in-state recruiting class.

Odom may be a nice guy but his hiring was the perfect combo of True Son Of Mizzou horseshit and going the cheap route.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.
I can't believe the Trojans pulled that off. First OT win since 2001- lost the last 3 times we went to OT since then. Texas played great, but injuries on defense will be what defeats us this season. Cam Smith's hand seems messed up, Porter Gustin has a bicep tear, Greene got dinged up, and no byes this year. Reciever drops were back again after disappearing versus Stanford.

Pac12 schedule is pretty favorable so we could still run the table in the regular season, but we aren't playoff quality yet for sure.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT started off letting ECU get 204 yards in the 1st and 17 points. Then the D arrived at the game, ECU scored 0 points for the rest of the game and totaled 80 yards. VT punted twiced and scored 57 unanswered. The game was so bad VT put in their backup placekicker, which I've never even seen happen before.

VT actually tied their record for total yardage this game at 675, they had it until they knelt the ball a couple times at the end. Josh Jackson went 24/31 for almost 400 yards and 5 TDs. He's got 8 TDs and 0 INT on the season and is just a freshman. Cam Phillips set a school record with 14 catches and got 189 yards and 3 TDs.

All in all, they did exactly what they should have with a team as bad as ECU (and ECU is really, really bad) so that's good. Jackson's WVU game does not seem to be a fluke. He has things to learn for sure but the benefits of being a coach's kid is highly obvious and I'm really happy Harbaugh only offered him as an ATH and VT was able to scoop him up.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Also, I'm still pretty sure that letting Coach Kool go is the dumbest thing Mizzou athletics has ever done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--That part might be my biggest complaint about Odom, apparently he and Kuligowski just didn't get along so Kul was never going to stay.

ur in my world now posted:

Odom may be a nice guy but his hiring was the perfect combo of True Son Of Mizzou horseshit and going the cheap route.

He was definitely not the first choice, he would have been hired right away if he was. I think they were going after Matt Rhule (which on early returns...eek) until he turned them down.

It was also just a bad time to have a coaching search with the campus protests over racist stuff being so recent. Not that everything is fine now of course, but at least that didn't just happen 2 months ago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wilton Speight is trash.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Preserving this for the Aftermath thread:

Aliquid posted:

DREW BREES

MAYBE

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

asu looked better than i thought they would in a loss, but im not really sure if they got it together or tech is the same as last year. also lmao at throwing a whole bag of tortillas (?) on the first asu touchdown

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I am still shocked by the Tennessee game. I'm hesitant to make any kind of prediction about the rest of our season, other than it will be heart wrenching. I do hope we win the games that we should and hopefully eek out one we're not supposed to. Next week is UMass at home then Georgia at home. The only advantage to the Georgia game is that it's in Knoxville. Maybe we'll figure out how to call plays in the red zone by then.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Only in Division III

https://twitter.com/tluathletics/status/909242408881270785

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
non-shitpost:

Kyle Allen was extremely impressive today. While it seemed like we opened up the playbook compared to the Arizona game, he wasn't really asked to make tough throws. He has a stronger arm than Greg Ward and was able to zip in some great passes over the middle of the field. He also showed impressive mobility, completing a few good passes on the rollout. We'll see if Applewhite/Johnson will let him throw more vertically vs Tech next week.

Ed Oliver is god, but beyond that, it was hard to draw conclusions about our defense because Rice was so abject.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I saw the gif earlier but didn't know if it actually counted. I guess as long as the ball doesn't pass the line of scrimmage you're cool to kick it again?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Really happy with how Clemson played tonight. Offense found a great rhythm. Feaster is a loving beast and reminds me of Reggie Merriweather. Defense was nigh lights-out, but considering what Jackson is capable of, it really could have been so much worse.

I was super bummed to hear about Deebo Samuel... Really sucks for such a great talent to be cut short like that for this year :smith: Hopefully he has a good recovery and can pick up where he left off next season.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Is... is that legal?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Oregon defense looked mysteriously good-ish again, I don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Nelson being out is a bummer, but maybe they'll install some new hands that don't muff punts while he's in the shop.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
I'm so glad I went to that stupid, amazing game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
D3 is absolutely magical for that stuff. D1 gets that once in a blue moon because everything is so tuned-up and tight in execution. D3 is where bad-to-average HS players go to keep playing which opens up a world of bullshit magic possibilities. D3 has weird stuff happen every single week, you could do a SC top 10 on just D3 every week with ease.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

iospace posted:

LSU was overrated again.CLANGA!

Fixed that for you.

Jordanis posted:

Oregon defense looked mysteriously good-ish again, I don't know what the gently caress is going on.

Nelson being out is a bummer, but maybe they'll install some new hands that don't muff punts while he's in the shop.

They got an actually good defensive coordinator and also got a harsh reality check last season that has the players giving real fucks again. I like that Willie Taggart is going slightly more conservative in game situations, Helfrich pushed Oregon too far to the aggressive side on some fourth downs and the constant bad 2 pt attempts.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 17, 2017

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Scarf posted:

Really happy with how Clemson played tonight. Offense found a great rhythm. Feaster is a loving beast and reminds me of Reggie Merriweather. Defense was nigh lights-out, but considering what Jackson is capable of, it really could have been so much worse.

Feaster was amazing and I really wish he carried most of the load. I feel he could be one of the top RBs in the country if he got more carries. Only fault I saw was the missed block on a blitz, he really needs to work on his pass blocking.

As for the game, really just another win. Going to VT in 2 weeks should be sick assuming no gently caress ups for out teams.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Alaois posted:

good teams: Wake Forest, Maryland

bad teams: everyone else?

I'll let you know shortly

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Is... is that legal?

Sadly, no. They did count it for the game but I'm sure the refs will be educated going forward. You can't just kick a loose ball, all you saw was a fumble through the back of the EZ. Now, if he'd picked it up again and drop kicked it then yes, totally legal, but you have to re-establish control of the ball to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Crotch Bat posted:

Sadly, no. They did count it for the game but I'm sure the refs will be educated going forward. You can't just kick a loose ball, all you saw was a fumble through the back of the EZ. Now, if he'd picked it up again and drop kicked it then yes, totally legal, but you have to re-establish control of the ball to do that.

This is bullshit and the rule should be changed. While we're at it, any time the ball goes through the uprights off someone's foot should be points. Teams should live in fear of giving up a field goal on the kickoff if they commit penalties on the scoring play.

• Locked thread