Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Wisconsin maybe has a quarterback. wth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Probably Magic posted:

Guys, did you know that Kansas is bad?

It's cool, Baylor is worse and both of you will beat Iowa State.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anybody ever confirm USC got 4 timeouts? Googling around, it looks like some Rivals thing, and it was probably a TV crew fuckup anyway, but I would love to be all like "pays to be U$C."

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Not sure how to feel about Clemson's steady success so far this year. Almost every game for the last two years was high drama and mistake-filled. It is strange to see it now, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. ...Like that road game at NC State, haha.

Also, I hesitate to say upset alert about Bama, but next week's game at Vandy should be interesting!

RumbleFish posted:

Some good news on Deebo Samuel: It's not a broken leg and is a high ankle fracture, so he's on track to return in 5-6 weeks. I'd rather him take all the time he needs and not hurry back, but I'm so relieved it's not a serious injury.

Man that is good to hear, and also more in line with how the injury looked in slow-mo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ehud posted:

tag you'reself

the white trashiest fan base

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn sucks (the offense -- how good does that defense holding Clemson to 14 at their place with zero support look now?) I don't wanna be the message board guy saying GUS IS drat DONE PAWL after three weeks but what's the plausible path to 8 wins? Mizzou and Ole Miss might be too bad to take advantage of us, Mississippi State is gonna embarrass us at Jordan-Hare, LSU will too even if they're also dysfunctional cause we can't win at Baton Rouge since the Cigar Curse. Maybe split A&M and Arkansas? Bama and Georgia are lost causes. I don't even see 7. He'll get the full season cause our AD can't afford the disarray of a mid-season ax while fighting for his own job with a sexual harassment scandal in the softball program but he won't survive without some miracle light coming on for the entire offense at the same time.

(Man that defense is good though.)

Shappa posted:

Last week I made a big ol' effort post about the various observations of the Auburn-Clemson game.

This week I don't really have anything to contribute besides the fact that I stopped my casual Saturday afternoon to tune into a steam of the Auburn-Mercer game because the game was in the fourth quarter and the outcome was legitimately in doubt. That in itself says it all.

I'm sort of in the middle on Auburn right now and think the season has the potential to be very bad to ok. The game yesterday was terrible score wise, but that's mostly down to the 4 lost fumbles and an interception. Looking at the stat sheet Stidham was the most efficient passer in the SEC this weekend and set the second highest passing yards in Auburn history. Not to say that it means anything to do that against an FCS school, but this could have easily been a 50-7 type game if Auburn had scored instead of losing the ball on some of those drives.

Also it helps that the SEC seems weak this year, and maybe Auburn can hope to be less bad than the other teams.

Auburn's starting QB last season Sean White (who just got off a two game suspension) was arrested for public intox last night. Auburn would be using either a walk on or true freshman as a backup if he gets suspended again.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

curried lamb of God posted:

non-shitpost:

Kyle Allen was extremely impressive today. While it seemed like we opened up the playbook compared to the Arizona game, he wasn't really asked to make tough throws. He has a stronger arm than Greg Ward and was able to zip in some great passes over the middle of the field. He also showed impressive mobility, completing a few good passes on the rollout. We'll see if Applewhite/Johnson will let him throw more vertically vs Tech next week.

Ed Oliver is god, but beyond that, it was hard to draw conclusions about our defense because Rice was so abject.

Agree with having to get less conservative and more vertical with the passing game. I get emphasizing the run game to open up screens and such but Linnell Bonner way outshines both running backs and they really need to get him the ball more. And I'm really not impressed with the offensive line. They don't seem much better than last year. I'm concerned Tech's defense is going to seriously push UH around.

On the other hand, you can beat Rice (and Arizona, apparently) with bubble screens and running Birden straight up the gut. I don't think Applewhite's really opened the playbook yet, that will change next weekend.

Also, the Rice band didn't play last night. :( They sent a dozen or so members to play with the UH band in some cross-city Harvey tribute thing.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 17, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it wrong for me to have hope now?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Crotch Bat posted:

VT started off letting ECU get 204 yards in the 1st and 17 points. Then the D arrived at the game, ECU scored 0 points for the rest of the game and totaled 80 yards. VT punted twiced and scored 57 unanswered. The game was so bad VT put in their backup placekicker, which I've never even seen happen before.

VT actually tied their record for total yardage this game at 675, they had it until they knelt the ball a couple times at the end. Josh Jackson went 24/31 for almost 400 yards and 5 TDs. He's got 8 TDs and 0 INT on the season and is just a freshman. Cam Phillips set a school record with 14 catches and got 189 yards and 3 TDs.

All in all, they did exactly what they should have with a team as bad as ECU (and ECU is really, really bad) so that's good. Jackson's WVU game does not seem to be a fluke. He has things to learn for sure but the benefits of being a coach's kid is highly obvious and I'm really happy Harbaugh only offered him as an ATH and VT was able to scoop him up.

You left out the best part which was 4TH STRING QUARTERBACK JACK CLICK taking snaps and handing off the ball to 4TH STRING RUNNINGBACK COLEMAN FOX (WHO SCORED A TOUCHDOWN).

ECU is worse than hot fire.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is it wrong for me to have hope now?

It's college football. It's always wrong to get your hopes up.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State employed the run-pass option yesterday, giving them another way to not throw the ball downfield.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So, uhh, Stanford

you okay buddy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I guess we found out that Stanford sucks and USC isnn't qúte as back as we all thought

Whatever, a win is still a win

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
https://m.soundcloud.com/cbssportspodcasts/gary-danielsons-take-on-lsu-les-miles-and-where-the-tigers-go-from-here

In which Gary Danielson recommends LSU make a run at Dan Mullen last year during the coaching search.

I couldn't find an appropriate.gif to match.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
People will look at the score of the ASU - Tech game and figure Tech still doesn't have a defense but as a long time Tech sufferer it was clear to me they were much improved. It was night and day compared to last year for sure. I was shocked to see tech defenders actually making tackles in the open without having to double team the runner which was something they could not do even once last year. They gave ASU 7 points due to unsportsmanlike like conduct penalties because they were so hyped up about it so maybe dial it back a little bit.

Overall I'm stoked our defense might not be terrible!

On the offensive side of the ball a bad play call by Kliff and a dumb mistake by a running back cost us 10 points.

So my total homer analysis is that the game score should have been Tech 62 - ASU 38.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

tag you'reself

https://twitter.com/johnnytownsend1/status/909196317351608320

Florida is bad but Tennessee was worse. The offense remains poorly coached, with an offensive philosophy that makes classic Sabanball look progressive. Callaway's continued suspension hurts, but McElwain and the staff can't blame the talent because the offensive 2-deep is nearly all McElwain recruits. The defense is still pretty good, probably a top-25 defense but not the top-5 defense of the last 2 years.

A defensive regression combined with no progress on offense would be very concerning if the SEC East wasn't still the worst P5 conference. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the offense turns the corner after the end of that game, maybe the return of Callaway and Scarlett will make a big difference. I'd love to be wrong but I still feel like I'm watching a Muschamp team, just somewhat less dumb.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status...247615879008256

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20733055/auburn-tigers-backup-qb-sean-white-arrested-public-intoxication-charge

How much is this going to affect Auburn?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Spirit-photographers have finally proven the existence of the afterlife, capturing this shot of a soul leaving the body last night

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I would be a lot more confident about the Hokies in the larger ACC picture if FSU and Miami had played the last two weeks, but basically having 0 info on them makes looking forward kinda tough. We hired Fuente to score us points and hoo boy he did. I rather like what we've got going on, although the WR corps really needs to become more than just the Cam Phillips show once we hit the ACC schedule (although that's coming along too with lots of guys contributing a little this week). The defense buttoned up after the first quarter, but this team has to stop starting slow. ECU is also trash so it's kind hard to take too much, but it was great seeing the team just own another one in all 3 phases. Just win baby and hopefully the recruiting will come along with it which is what we'll need to really be more than a threat to Clemson.

Speaking of that game, I think it's gonna look a lot like the first 2011 game. Close for a bit until Clemson's depth and talent takes over. That front 4 is just terrifying and while I trust Fuente to make some mismatches they've been good enough so far this year for scheme to not really matter. I would love to see us pull the upset, but holy poo poo I think our failure streak against top 5 teams is gonna continue in 2 weeks. Should be fun regardless and Gameday should go there which we haven't earned in a long while which would be nice.

Tennessee...I dunno guys, I dunno. Team should have won if the kickers were worth a poo poo, team should have won if they gave John Kelly the ball at the goal line. Team could have won if they'd defended the goal line like you should in that situation. Yeah Butch has to take some blame, but holy poo poo can the players be bothered to like use some football IQ? I guess that all comes back to the coaching if they aren't recognizing certain situations, but once again the Vols (as I predicted) would snatch defeat from the hands of victory against Florida. I really would have liked to see the other QB because Dormady is just useless in the option game, which makes it a completely pointless section of the playbook he is 0 threat to run the ball and is just statuesque enough to be problematic avoiding the rush. The team still has plenty of chances, but after this weekend it might be Vandy's team in the East which is dumb and terrifying to consider.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Good to see Muschamp teaching solid fundamentals

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

He was suspended for the first two games already, and we have other people who can do mop-up stuff against cupcakes. The problem will be if Stidham gets hurt at all or needs to set out for a drive or two in a game. Without White they are down to a walk-on or true freshman they are trying to redshirt at QB.

White was a decent QB and I think he's a great backup so I hope things work out for him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jjbadluck/status/908757697092362241
https://twitter.com/sarahmwang13/status/909195631930961920

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

sean10mm posted:

How does Ohio State only win 38-7 against Army? The disparity should be like 77-0.

Ohio State didn't have an offensive play in the second quarter until 6 minutes left. Also who gives a gently caress.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Probably not at all, White played pretty well last year in a tough situation but realistically he's never going to be QB1 for this team again. The general consensus is that he has very limited potential that caps out at "not able to beat Alabama". The team went out and got Stidham based on his potential and this season is anchored to seeing if he can achieve it. If for some reason we got to the point where Stidham was benched/hurt/arrested I'd except that there are other kids on the roster that would get reps before him.

I really feel for the kid though as he really did all he could, it's pretty obvious he isn't taking the little brother treatment very well and I hope things get better for him.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Auburn's starting QB last season Sean White (who just got off a two game suspension) was arrested for public intox last night. Auburn would be using either a walk on or true freshman as a backup if he gets suspended again.
Hypothetically it doesn't if Stidham stays healthy, in reality it feels like one of the lug nuts on the last wheel just got way looser? Like he said the options past Stidham are burn a redshirt or play some nobody. I don't know what Gus can do here. Boot him for repeated dumb offenses from a guy who's supposed to be a leader and seems like he's acting out cause he lost his job to an outsider (who hasn't produced much yet), risk losing the part of the team that might agree with him? Treat him with kid gloves cause you're visibly afraid for your job and can't afford to lose your safety net? This seems like a bad place to be in.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Scarf posted:

Spirit-photographers have finally proven the existence of the afterlife, capturing this shot of a soul leaving the body last night

Nobody in the state of Mississippi has a soul, god told me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RumbleFish posted:

Some good news on Deebo Samuel: It's not a broken leg and is a high ankle fracture, so he's on track to return in 5-6 weeks. I'd rather him take all the time he needs and not hurry back, but I'm so relieved it's not a serious injury.

This makes me happy :unsmith:

Still gonna be a bit of an up-hill battle for him to get back to where he was, but gently caress, at least it isn't season ending.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Gophers went 3-0 in noncon, made improvements, and now we have a bye to rest up after some injuries! I'm content.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Does Mama's Boy have cheap bloody mary's and mimosa like most brunch places? Kind of the wife's jam there. Not sure if I will stay overnight though- I moved to Atlanta so I might just make a day trip out of it.

Food wise? I just want the best local thing that won't break the bank.

Here is the Mama's Boy menu, and I don't think they do bloody marys or mimosas, so if that's a deal breaker, might need to find somewhere else for breakfast. Otherwise, if you want to have access to a ton of beers and other assorted drinks, Trappeze Pub is really good and not ridiculously priced.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa played The Dumbest First Half of All Time but then came back and ground North Texas into dust in the second half with the third and fourth string running backs. It was like the platonic ideal of a Ferentz game, aside from a lack of punting (4 fourth down conversions!!). Hopefully Wadley is fine and was just being held out for precautionary reasons. Really the biggest take away is that all the refs involved should be banished to nothing higher than middle school football, it was awful all the way around.

Penn State will probably murder us because our pass defense is kinda assy so far (with the caveat that we're not really built to defend Big XII or Air Raid type offenses so it's possible it'll look better against most Big Ten teams) but otherwise I feel like we can be at least competitive in every game left on the schedule. OSU and Wisconsin are still unlikely but otherwise we're probably favorites in every other game left? I dunno, I still expect them to drop a dumb one or two, but 8 or 9 wins seems very doable, which would be good for what is a pretty young team in a lot of spots.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So far the only teams I'm comfortable saying are good teams this season include Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson. Maybe Mississippi State and Washington? Other teams could be good but the jury is still out/too early in the season to judge based on games played.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So upon some highly scientific research (watching lots of football), the only team I am super worried about playing during regular season is Mississippi State, with a runner up to maybe Vandy due to their defense. The whole rest of the SEC East is some dystopic nightmare hellscape (possibly us included). It could be imagined that we get to the SEC Championship and have one loss, maybe none. Probably wont happen because Georgia has perfected the art of dunking on itself when it shouldn't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

So far the only teams I'm comfortable saying are good teams this season include Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson. Maybe Mississippi State and Washington? Other teams could be good but the jury is still out/too early in the season to judge based on games played.

Penn State hasn't played anyone but they look good. Wisconsin also hasn't played anyone but looks Extremely Wisconsin

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bowling Green football is so bad...

everyone posted:

HOW BAD ARE THEY??

bowling Green football is so bad that they were out-gained by their own got dang punter

Hustle Belt posted:

Bowling Green punts often, so the team might as well have an all-star punter.

That punter is former First Team All-MAC nominee Joseph Davidson. The 6-foot-7 senior punter booted the ball a career-high nine times against Northwestern since the offense remained turnover free for the most part. Davidson's 407 punting yards exceeded Bowling Green's 352 yards of total offense.

This kid is gonna win the Ray Guy Award on a winless team and I am going to laugh forever

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Glumslinger posted:

So I guess we found out that Stanford sucks and USC isnn't qúte as back as we all thought

Whatever, a win is still a win

I think you'll find that SDSU is good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

bowling Green football is so bad that they were out-gained by their own got dang punter

This kid is gonna win the Ray Guy Award on a winless team and I am going to laugh forever

Bowling Green's punter was good, but a few of those punts were the Northwestern returner having a good opportunity to fair catch or even return and seemingly having so idea where the ball was in the lights.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Pssh, Corey Fatony = 434
Mizzou offense = 203

Fatony may not be the better punter (then again he might be, he's pretty damned good) but he's going to way outgain the team if they throw whatever that was on the field the rest of the season.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I don't even care if it makes the pac-12 looks worse always good to see Jim Mora Jr. get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
what the gently caress, UT USC was 24-27? what

• Locked thread