Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017
Every social media site I'm on, I'm ambushed by tons of these "friends" of mine hawking some MLM garbage. ItWorks!, Younique, Jamberry, R+F, Mary Kay, Lularoe, Perfectly Posh, Amway, Herbalife, and countless others. What really grinds my gears though are the self-righteous mombies and their bullshit hashtags: #naptimehustle, #momboss, #millionaireinthemaking. I've gotten countless numbers of invites, DM's, IM's, and even in-person sales pitches from these people and it needs to stop! It really bothers me because every person I see falling for these schemes are stay at home moms with barely any education. What is it about these people that they think these companies are actually going to pay out?

One of my friends, that just had a baby, has now dropped out of college and is selling Lularoe. She even subtly approached me about it the other day and I had to tell her I was too poor to buy anything. They all think they're going to get rich and it makes me feel contemptuous and sad. Does anyone else have experience with these MLMs and how they've suckered tons of SAHMs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I imagine they just want to make big money working from home.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'd love to know the honest truth of exactly how much they make, the women I mean. It can't be much at all, but if you ever asked them you'd get a bullshit number that hasn't factored in their expenses etc. I must know the truth.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Hmmm actually it looks like the common problem is having a baby

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

[...] every person I see falling for these schemes [...] barely any education. What is it about these people that they think these companies are actually going to pay out?

[...] dropped out of college [...]

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

#gbshateswimwoms

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Yeah, I mean, it's almost like there's a connection between being a dumbass and falling for dumbass scams.

The real problem is the enablers that let them not only do this but keep encouraging them as they fail, whether it's the husband, parents, whoever is funding it. It's not just the women though - I know a couple guys that were skeptical at first but went along with it reluctantly to avoid a huge fight about "not believing in her" or whatever, but eventually got just as in to it and started covering themselves in herbalife pins and talking about their herbababy (who also wears the pins and clothes).

They seem to go through phases - at first they really believe in the product and think they can make it as a legitimate salesperson, but over time they realize that their only hope at even breaking even is to rope someone else into it and the cycle continues. I can excuse the first phase but if you let yourself enter the second phase you're no better than the people who started the scam to begin with. The only difference is they are rich and you had to move back in with your parents to avoid losing your house.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
Yeah this is less about the women and more about people who are purchasing this crap from their friends via social media. I mean, if I wanted to sell men's stuff via social media I'd talk about the oil-based cream I use as a conditioner on my beard and my hair that do nothing other than being something I like to smell.

I use Argan Oil Moroccan stuff, fyi. Available on amazon.com for $16.00 or so as a pair.

I mean, I could buy .99 cent conditioner from the dollar store and it'd do the same thing. And I'd be able to buy like 10 .99 cent cans of potted meat with crackers and dig a large hole in my yard with a backhoe and play "Vietnam" in my freshly dug foxhole. I'm gonna eat those 10 tins of potted meat and crackers in my foxhole, and NOBODY is gonna come close to me and my rubber band gun.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

some of my coworkers at the store i worked at in high school got into some mlm garbage and I knew better than to go along with it but they all seemed really excited so I didnt try to convince them not to because maybe itll work out for them :shobon: but no they all lost a bunch of time and money. it was mostly dudes tho

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah i know way more dudes who have done these things are you sure you're not just sexist?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
People who get into get rich quick schemes (and aren't the ones selling the scheme) are dumb regardless of gender hth

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

SeXReX posted:

Yeah i know way more dudes who have done these things are you sure you're not just sexist?

Everyone has different anec-data but the point is it's the uneducated people looking for an easy way out of real work that fall for them. There are some male-dominated ones like cutco and probably some stupid beard-related stuff, but you never/rarely see a guy shilling lularoe, avon, scentsy, beach body fitness, etc and these are the ones dominating the facebook feeds which seems to be what the OP is talking about.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i used to think door to door vacuum salesman was just something gary larson made up until my brother was one

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Hello there old friend.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Put God first! Right after you pay us $34.99!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
MLM schemes are just methods for tribes to redistribute their wealth amongst their own in a capitalistic society.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
today at the Wendy's drive thru I was stuck a really long time behind a Cadillac that had "Mary Kay" on it

that proves it's possible to sell enough to get the car

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Send your "friends" this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my mom got really sick, like bedridden sick. She couldn't work anymore. This is a lady who doesn't have an off switch and is used to being able to make anything happen. Type-A salesman type person.

She fell for mary kay, and by "fall for" i mean she only bought the intro kit, but it appealed to her need to stay active and working as her body betrayed her and fell apart.

So, sometimes it's just people who are desperate to make things happen, and can't accept it's probably time to get a referral and on SSDI. :smith:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's almost like there's a connection between being a dumbass and getting pregnant.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

the whole of capitalism is a multi level marketing scheme get your heads out of your asses sheeple

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

lol "erbalife"

i've seen that word before but it never occurred to me that americans would extend their weird "silent h" thing to it

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

SUPERSOFT LEGGINGS!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SeXReX posted:

the whole of capitalism is a multi level marketing scheme get your heads out of your asses sheeple

incorrect. capitalism is a direxion daily 10x leveraged mlm etf

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
Unless you buy a new car for it, the outlay is like a few hundred bucks?
Hopefully it serves as a lesson to watch for bullshit or do due-dillegence next time.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I have friends who have been suckered into some sort of essential oil scam. It's sad. Did you know that there are essential oils that can cure cancer and stop Ebola but you can't buy them except from one mlm source because the public hating FDA won't let people know the real truth???????
Luckily for me, when the Ebola cancer hits, I'll be able to buy the right oil to rub into the soles of my feet to save my life.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know, in my experience sending a 30 minute John Oliver video to someone is more likely to make them dig in harder, unless they already like him.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Hammerite posted:

lol "erbalife"

i've seen that word before but it never occurred to me that americans would extend their weird "silent h" thing to it

>John Oliver
>American

jfc my dude

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Szyznyk posted:

SUPERSOFT LEGGINGS!

actually I think you'll find the approved phrasing is "buttery soft"

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Biscuit posted:

Unless you buy a new car for it, the outlay is like a few hundred bucks?
Hopefully it serves as a lesson to watch for bullshit or do due-dillegence next time.

The buy-in for Lularoe is like 5500 bucks. Plus however much it costs to turn your garage into a showroom/television studio for webcasts. I see the husbands who paid for that and weep for them.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

actually I think you'll find the approved phrasing is "buttery soft"

Not ashamed to have gotten it wrong.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
OP you should hold your breath until the women who keep falling for multi level marketing scams come into this thread and explain their thinking to you

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Szyznyk posted:

The buy-in for Lularoe is like 5500 bucks. Plus however much it costs to turn your garage into a showroom/television studio for webcasts. I see the husbands who paid for that and weep for them.

quote:

LuLaRoe distributors are required to purchase an initial inventory of clothing and marketing materials which cost between $4,925 and $9,000 (as of 2017) and are recommended to keep around $20,000 worth of inventory on hand

:yikes: hm, I can see why you then drink the coolaid.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Maybe women are particularly susceptible to these kinds of scams because the deck is stacked against them in the "real workplace". Why don't you just ask instead of theorizing that they'll bs you?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

myDad posted:

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

[...] every person I see falling for these schemes [...] barely any education. What is it about these people that they think these companies are actually going to pay out?

[...] dropped out of college [...]

Funny enough the only person I know that got SUPER into Herbalife/Avon/MaryKay graduated from medical school with me, and her husband (who I'm sure bankrolls some of this stuff on account of the shared household) is also an M.D.

It really does take all kinds :smith:

Edit: poo poo now that I think about it she DID have a baby right before the worst of it. Chalk one up to the "crazy moms" tab.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 17, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Navin Johnson posted:

Maybe women are particularly susceptible to these kinds of scams because the deck is stacked against them in the "real workplace". Why don't you just ask instead of theorizing that they'll bs you?

Just ask what? Why are you currently falling for a widely-known pyramid scheme? Once they are into it they have rehearsed lines for those kinds of questions. Even the new ones (woman or otherwise) will still say the same bullshit about "being my own boss" and working from home. There is no valid, rational reason to pay a company to sell their products, especially in the case of things like lularoe where because of undercutting and competition, you are extremely lucky if you even break even.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, my theory has always been that the people who go for these things are the secondary income in the family/ stay at home and that these schemes attack their pride and want of contributing more to the household.

Most MLM's have staggering statistics for how little money their members make, like 95% making less than $50 isn't uncommon.

The one person I know who does well with them (if driving a leased car counts as "well") is an actual crazy and garbage person who scams everyone around her, including family. Scams being as simple as "Can I borrow $x?" and never paying you back to stealing thousands of dollars from family knowing that they won't file a police report or sue her. ABC (Always Be Closing), only replace the C with Conning.

KMART THE MOVIE
Aug 9, 2017

Dog Jones posted:

OP you should hold your breath until the women who keep falling for multi level marketing scams come into this thread and explain their thinking to you

I know that getting duped by mlms is not a uniquely female problem. My own father bought into at least three that I know of.... But with the advent of social media it seems that women are being targeted more and more every day, and they are falling for it I droves.

Women are naturally more "relational" than men and tend to make decisions based on emotions rather than facts. That's why they are so succeptable to these schemes that sell a "dream", and a "sisterhood"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

I know that getting duped by mlms is not a uniquely female problem. My own father bought into at least three that I know of.... But with the advent of social media it seems that women are being targeted more and more every day, and they are falling for it I droves.

Women are naturally more "relational" than men and tend to make decisions based on emotions rather than facts. That's why they are so succeptable to these schemes that sell a "dream", and a "sisterhood"

I find MLM to be particularly bad with old people moreso than women. Tons of people probably share your frustration at having to peel a parent/grandparent away from the slimy grasp of the latest "Get Rich EASY" scheme.

• Locked thread